• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CPala, get in here NOW: Fake Xbox Live accounts for foreign Marketplaces banned?

Doesn't make any difference to me. My alternate accounts are already silver. Not going through the hassle of making new ones even if there wouldn't be restrictions.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Details aren't all in yet - BUT, I do know for a fact that we are NOT banning the accounts.

We are blocking downloads in cases where gold accounts are being used to gain US content in foreign marketplaces.

I think (my opinion) that it is a legal issue - still waiting to hear back the official word.

I live in Japan but I have a US Xbox and US Gold account. So that means I'm going to have all my content blocked? Gee, that's great.

I wouldn't mind transitioning to a Japanese account, were it not for the fact that Japanese XBL is an utter joke with virtually no content and no Video Marketplace.

tetsuoxb

Sho Nuff said:
I live in Japan but I have a US Xbox and US Gold account. So that means I'm going to have all my content blocked? Gee, that's great.

I wouldn't mind transitioning to a Japanese account, were it not for the fact that Japanese XBL is an utter joke with virtually no content and no Video Marketplace.

I'm in the same boat. If they go through with blocking content, there will be an incredibly angry phone call from me to someone.

Troidal

Sho Nuff said:

Yeah, my Gold account is Japanese, but christ the Live content they got is...ZERO. I mostly download stuff from US with my Silver account, so if restrictions occur, man it would totally suck.

Mrbob

I wouldn't be surprised if MS silently let GOLD accounts pass, since you are a paying customer. Who knows, though.

If I had to be stuck with Japan Live I would be pissed off too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They'll ban just my Euro Silver and JP Silver accounts, right? Not my US Gold one? (I'm in the US)...

Jim

Thank god Chris is around for you guys to bug... otherwise you'd probably be ruining poor Arne's vacation right about now :lol

adelante

I don't mind them blocking away licensed content (video downloads, etc) but at the very least make demos accessible to every single mutha****er...? Official word on this should be any moment now...

Mejilan said:
They'll ban just my Euro Silver and JP Silver accounts, right? Not my US Gold one? (I'm in the US)...
Seems they go by your home ip, so if you live in the area your tag says you do, you should be fine.

MrSingh

Really MS, just pull out of the Japanese market, or fire everyone at Xbox Japan. Xbox Live Japan/Marketplace is an utter joke.

Feindflug

I recently got a 360 and I have activated the 1 month trial but I live in Greece and my account says UK either I like it or not. 4 years now everyone in the community we have here in Greece waits for Greece to be supported in Live but this is not happening...Microsoft Hellas simply don't care.

Banning accounts in countries that there aren't supported in Live sounds like a nightmare, me for example I bought a 360 not only for the games but also for the awesome Live service. T__T

I hope someone out there listens to this mesage from Greece.

Never use babelfish to translate german to english! The original article never said microsoft would ban accounts definitely! They said "blocked/deleted" cause they didn't know what will happen in detail. Babelfish translated it to "close/delete" and us sites addes the word ban to it! Thats ridiciulous. Remembers me of these japanese translation errors from the past.

GhaleonEB

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2006/11/28/xbox-live-security.aspx

A recent security change to the Xbox Live service may have impacted users online purchase experience. Currently the video marketplace service and related content is only available to consumers in the United States. Although we will continue to work on providing content and rolling out the service in other markets, US Marketplace offers will be restricted to the US only. This means that the credit card associated with your account is required to match the billing address and country your account is set up in. Note that we are not banning any of these Xbox Live accounts, as they can continue to use pre-paid subscription cards and Microsoft Points cards.

Customers wanting to check the billing information on their account can do this on their console or by signing into Xbox.com with your account and then go to MY XBOX-> MY PROFILE then to BILLING AND CONTACT INFORMATION.

We also realize that there may be a small number of international users that were impacted by this change that have a legitimate reason for why their billing location does not match their account location. We are working to deal with these exceptions on a case by case basis and are working on a solution for these consumers.

Troidal

Ah, fuck....that update certainly changed things around. I can't even buy MS points anymore :/ So now I have to buy those damn cards if I want Live Arcade games? This just blows big time. And MS Japan can go to hell. Your Marketplace sucks!

hadareud

The Translator
jarosh said:
sooo... does that mean that if i'm in europe i can still have a "fake" us account and get the us content (tv shows, movies) if i pay with a us points card? they're only "banning" the use of foreign credit cards?
sounds like it. Excellent!

8bit

Knows the Score
jarosh said:
yeah that'd be pretty cool. i didn't expect my credit card to work with a us account in the first place.

It won't. I set up my xbox as being in the UK originally and I can't buy points with my Swiss credit card. I'm reluctant to get it changed as I hate the music loop on the helpline.

Sephon

Didn't find a better thread for this question, so I'll use this one.

Does someone know why Europe gets the cold hand with XBL content?
It took a few months for the horse armor content for oblivion to arrive in EU, and it seems that Knights of the nine also gets the same delay.

Same with the video-downloads, I haven't seen any indication that it'll arrive in europe for some time.
Is it all politics, or is the market just that small in Europe that they don't bother with it?

Frenck

Banned
Knights of the Nine was released at the same time as in NA, even better, its text and speech was fully translated into German for our marketplace.

RDDragon

Banned
Well, I have just contacted XBOX live int. support for Europe(located in Germany).
I live in Macedonia & have set UK address in my Xbox live acc(because our country is not supported by XBL).
XBL support representative have explained to me that my acc will not be banned or locked because my country is in Europe & Macedonia(FYROM) don't have XBL support.
But if I set US address then there is big chance that my XBL acc will be locked.
If that happens, you guys must contact XBL support to unlock your acc & change your address with proper IP of your country or zone where you live.

Sorry for my bad English:)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Frenck said:
Knights of the Nine was released at the same time as in NA, even better, its text and speech was fully translated into German for our marketplace.
It wasnt released everywhere in Europe, only the big places like UK, Germany and so forth.

Sephon said:
Didn't find a better thread for this question, so I'll use this one.

Does someone know why Europe gets the cold hand with XBL content?
It took a few months for the horse armor content for oblivion to arrive in EU, and it seems that Knights of the nine also gets the same delay.

Same with the video-downloads, I haven't seen any indication that it'll arrive in europe for some time.
Is it all politics, or is the market just that small in Europe that they don't bother with it?

Politics? Licensing rights.

Top Bottom