• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CPU Wii U just as powerful as PS3, X360, GPU 1,5 times stronger

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
i don't know the PRECISE model of the gpu in the wii u since it has some minor alterations to the die at nintendo's behest, but i SUSPECT it is between the 4670M and the 4850M. that is a good "1.5x" the perf of xenos. (always assume nintendo's cheapass-ness.)
Why do you even need to make assumptions when you claim to know pretty much everything outside "minor alterations"?

Just curious, many of your posts are written as if you know a lot more than anyone else.

In others it sounds like you're also just speculating based on others' rumours and/or Nintendo's cheapass-ness.

That post seems to imply both at the same time. Which is it?

sinnergy

If you look at the compare pictures from Batman AC, you can see that the Wii U version has additional objects, such as the red vlags on the tower. If you check the backgrounds you can see that the buldings have different windows (more refelctions). And it looks like it has better textures filtering and a higher resolution textures.

Just some things I saw.

Log4Girlz

I can't see games like Watch_Dogs and Star Wars 1313 running on this thing. How could Nintendo think this was a good idea (if true) after what happened with the 3rd-party situation this gen...

Could you ever see Last of us Running on the original Wii, or any other big budget title from the HD twins? Wii won the generation. Nintendo is once again trying to get by on cheap hardware because so far, they've learned the lesson that hardware power doesn't matter. :/

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Could you ever see Last of us Running on the original Wii, or any other big budget title from the HD twins? Wii won the generation. Nintendo is once again trying to get by on cheap hardware because so far, they've learned the lesson that hardware power doesn't matter. :/

What do you consider cheap? For example, if the box GPU/CPU/Ram combo cost is ~$200, is that being cheap?

Log4Girlz

What do you consider cheap? For example, if the box GPU/CPU/Ram combo cost is over $200, is that being cheap?

$500 and below to manufacture is being cheap. That means they are not selling at a loss to offer the consumer a greater experience than they otherwise would if they sold for at a given price.

Now, selling an expensive machine at a price which amounts to a discount is very risky.

Dan Yo

Banned
Just as powerful as a 360? You hear that, guys? Sounds like we can rest easy now. Nintendo did it. Somehow they have managed to match the power of a 7 year old console.

AzaK

$500 and below to manufacture is being cheap. That means they are not selling at a loss to offer the consumer a greater experience than they otherwise would if they sold for at a given price.

Now, selling an expensive machine at a price which amounts to a discount is very risky.
Well I will save you a lot of heartache right now, for free. Give up on Nintendo.

I'd be quite surprised if either MS or Sony are prepared to soak a loss on their next gen machines.

If they do, then it's "welcome back" to over priced proprietary peripherals like memory cards and hard drives, and subscription gaming online all over again.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

That's unreasonable. That's NEO GEO andTurboGrafx-CD unreasonable. Luxury items.

Log4Girlz

That's unreasonable. That's NEO GEO andTurboGrafx-CD unreasonable. Luxury items.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 were both touted as costing well north of 500 to manufacture at first. There was at least 1 Xbox 360 SKU that was much less than that price at launch.

Nintendo is being cheap, but hey for good reason, they can't afford to hemmorage money for years before they can start posting a profit. MS has Office and Windows to keep them afloat forever no matter what and Sony...well Sony is paying the price for the PS3 fiasco.

Sony...well Sony is paying the price for the PS3 fiasco.

You think Sony would be in better financial shape if they had sold every PS3 at more than a $300 loss?

Really?

So their first million consoles sold should have cost the company $300,000,000 as pure loss?

The Dreamcast died not because it wasn't selling, but it was costing Sega too much money with every sale to survive.

Log4Girlz

I think we will see a lot of indie games being released on Wii U and PC.

You think Sony would be in better financial shape if they had sold every PS3 at more than a $300 loss? Really?

The Dreamcast died not because it wasn't selling, but it was costing Sega too much money with every sale to survive.

The point I was trying to make is that they are deep shit because they sold at a loss.

Dan Yo

Banned
The point I was trying to make is that they are deep shit because they sold at a loss.
They are in deep shit because the console was too expensive. They could have ditched the blu ray, sold the thing at a price competitive to MS, while still taking a loss, and have made out great by the end of the generation.

They took a huge gamble trying to make sure blu ray won that format war, and it bit them in the ass. They ended up selling a system a year after 360 was out, with games that looked on the same level or worse, for $200 more, and still selling at even more of a loss than MS was. That's just shitty business.

Selling at a loss in the beginning ends up being quite lucrative once that software money starts rolling in, as MS can attest, and it's great for the consumers as they get better hardware and more advanced games. You just can't go crazy and try to sell your system for $600 with components that are costing you through the ass and not even necessary.

ozfunghi

Just comparing the specs of these and Xenos on Wikipedia, that seems like it should be a bigger difference, unless notably downclocked. Just grabbing some of the things listed for all of them:

Shaders, texture mapping units, render output units
Xenos: 48, 16, 8
4670M: 320, 32, 8
4850M: 800, 40, 16

MHz
Xenos: 500
4670M: 675
4850M: 500

Gpixels/second, Gtexels/second
Xenos: 4, 8
4670M: 5.4, 21.6
4850M: 8, 20

GFLOPs
Xenos: 240
4670M: 432
4850M: 800

Huh... where did he say that? I didn't see that quote of his (it's exactly what i asked above). Must 've read over it.

If it's a 4770, it would make more sense as i said months ago, because a smaller die, less power consuming. With 960 Gflops (card runs at 750 MHz though). The 4850 does 1 Tflops by the way. Not 800 Gflops. And i get 480 Gflops for the 4670, not 432? But that card also runs at 750 MHz, so wouldn't the 4770 be more logical, even downclocked?

Add the added modifications, and this surely has to be a lot more powerful than 1.5x the Xenos. Or seriously downclocked. Should a 4850 be downclocked to say 400 MHz, it would still roughly get over 600 Gflops... against Xenos' 240. Downclock a 4770 to 450 MHz and you still have 575 Gflops.

That Eguchi interview is pretty interesting:

Eguchi on why the Wii U GamePad is single-touch…

“The number one priority we focus on in considering the touch interface is the precision of where you touch and the precision of how that’s reflected in the game.”
And people didn't believe this.

we’re really not out to profit selling this hardware. That being said, I really don’t know this is something we would sell at a loss.
299?

“At this E3 we haven’t announced any plans for Virtual Console for Wii U, but from my perspective from a gamer, if I have a Wii U console, I would certainly want to be able to play any sort of virtual console title on the GamePad… so I would have that expectation. But unfortunately, I can’t give any specifics here… but I’ll add that one of the general concepts of the Wii U is being able to play games solely on the GamePad screen. That’s a big priority for us, freeing the player from the television. The Wii U has been designed to support all sorts of different configurations.”
So, yes?

“To be precise, almost all of the attractions will run at 60 fps. There’s just one particular case of an attraction that, playing at the absolute maximum number of players, would take a framerate drop… but by and large, all will run at 60 fps. But for example, in the attraction that does have a framerate drop, we wouldn’t make that concession unless we were sure the experience to the player was still up to our standards.”
what's that attraction?! (and what a strange name, ATTRACTION?!)

Mr. Eguchi's All-time Favorite Game He Hasn't Worked On: The original Diablo.
yes, Diablo 2 was shit compared to the master piece that was Diablo.

and his favorite music band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJHJZCLSGE

Huh... where did he say that? I didn't see that quote of his (it's exactly what i asked above). Must 've read over it.

If it's a 4770, it would make more sense as i said months ago, because a smaller die, less power consuming. With 960 Gflops (card runs at 750 MHz though). The 4850 does 1 Tflops by the way. Not 800 Gflops. And i get 480 Gflops for the 4670, not 432? But that card also runs at 750 MHz, so wouldn't the 4770 be more logical, even downclocked?

Add the added modifications, and this surely has to be a lot more powerful than 1.5x the Xenos. Or seriously downclocked. Should a 4850 be downclocked to say 400 MHz, it would still roughly get over 600 Gflops... against Xenos' 240. Downclock a 4770 to 450 MHz and you still have 575 Gflops.

He was talking about 4670M and 4850M which are different to the desktop parts. I would have thought that if the 4770 base design had a die shrink to 32nm and was slightly underclocked we could still get something that would outperform a 4770 on a pc very handily. somethign that would perform to around 1TFLOP by PC (Epic) standards but maybe only be 20% slower on paper. so maybe an 800GFLOP 4770 on 32nm

Here is some speculation I thought might be interesting. Please feel free to tear it apart.

The AMD HD7750 is a 1TFLOP card that is now $99 at retail. The cost price of the GPU itself in volume (without ram, thermals, power, connectors, PCB, logic) would be about $25. I am sure nintendo can afford to put in a $25 card in there.

The WiiU CPU's and GPU's are not even being manufactured yet so final volume prices haven't been agreed on and final candidates have not been chosen. There could be two or three candidates that nintendo is playing around with ready to go and able to fit in that case if needed in the last minute. We are probably only seeing the bare minimum vesion of these chips. this could also mean the difference between a $249 $299and $349 retail price for the console. The maximum Nintendo can go for is a 1-1.2TFLOP card that could fit in that case without too much heat issues if it was at 32nm. Price will be a factor in that an 800-1.2TFLOP will be $349 550-750GFLOP $299 and 360-500 GFLOP will be $249 for example.

Nintendo is either working with a 55nm part or a 40nm r700 part as a baseline design and if they are indeed working with 40nm as a baseline then there are a few candidates in the r700 lineup that they could have used as a base but it is also possible they started on 55nm part knowing that they will be applying die shrink anyway.

If nintendo is smart and basically get MS and SONY to lowball nintendo and release sub 1.8TFLOP GPU's in their consoles because they think WiiU will only be 360GFLOPS only for nintendo to then suddenly spring in a ~1TFLOP GPU in there, then it will hamper development of first gen SONY and MS titles as well as some third parties. Even if SONY and Microsoft at the last minute decide to also add power to their consoles, if their contingency plans did not plan on nintendo going for something 1TFLOP (pc gpu) performance it might make it easy for nintendo to suddenly be on par with next gen especially for first gen PS4 games and second gen WiiU games.

Consider PS4 being 1.8 TFLOP and the WiiU being 800GFLOPS, the difference would only be something in the range of PS4 1080p@30fps vs 720p@30fps for WiiU with virtually the same effects. Having this for the first year may establish a status quo with the public that the WiiU GPU is more than adequate especially at the price and the already year old userbase which has had a headstart. the gamecube only got its power bump at the last minute. The Wii got its power downgrade also at the last minute. The 3DS got its power bump just before launch and also after launch part of the processing was released for developers to use.

Those development kits are closed and are subject to change within the current confines of the targetted specifications that made no mention of GPU power or CPU power.This may actually be a good thing if you think about it, as it allows for changes up until the last minute to make sure the competition has less time to counter. Going first and with your competitors always wanting to see what you are doing and countering your every move is something nintendo is very careful of and have planned contingencies to do so. Look at smart glass and Kinect and Move just as examples to show that the competitors are hot at their heels.

If E3 is any indication it just goes to show that even though Nintendo has big hitters in development they will not show it to a news hungry faithful just to make sure the competition underestimates Nintendo. SONY and MS see Nintendo a teddy bear but in reality it is more of a grizzly in hibernation just waiting for spring to come out. It was a very smart move to show shareholder pleasing titles which will bring the stock price up. We are six months to launch and we have to remember many other times in other console launches where six months from launch, the products did not look too good.

The launch lineup is looking fairly strong. In a couple of weeks we will start to hear what Japanese third parties have in store. Closer to launch we will hear about non launch window games coming that are pre E3 2013, but are also first generation. Nintendo is at a very strong place at the moment. The perception is one of confusion at the moment, but its ok to have confusion until the product is ready to ship to market. By october there will be a very clear picture of the WiiU platform but even now nintendo is still guaging final specs for the machine but will do it at the last possible minute so as to throw off the competition. It is not at the expense of third party developers thought it may look inderectly like that but it is can be considered a premeptive defensive move in order to protect their plans.

What would you do as a company in order to to keep your competitors from one upping you without going into an arms race?

Oh and also $299 at 720-960 GFLOP is doable and can make nintendo between $5-10 a unit sold which is about what they were making with the wii at $249. If I was nintendo that's what I would do. 1/-1/4 the power of PS4 and xbox720 but at maybe $100 less and one year early and at profit.

This will allow nintendo to price drop to $249 in september of 2014 and $199 in early 2016 and $149 in 2017 and $99 when the next gen starts in 2018 which will give them 6 years in the market. The balance is to pleae developers consumers and shareholders while maintaining profits at all time no matter what. If you think about it is actually a very hard thing to do.

Log4Girlz said:
Nintendo is being cheap, but hey for good reason, they can't afford to hemmorage money for years before they can start posting a profit.
They could afford to take an Xbox/PS3 sized loss easy, but they'd then have to be much more successful afterward to make it worthwhile. Easier to make a billion dollars than to lose a billion dollars followed by making two billion dollars to arrive at the same place.
ozfunghi said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38718109&postcount=1383 I usually write my responses in a text editor and just copy/paste the quotes, so those backlinks get lost.
The 4850 does 1 Tflops by the way. Not 800 Gflops. And i get 480 Gflops for the 4670, not 432?
Since he said 4670M and 4850M I took that to mean the mobile variants, so I looked in this section of the page.

onQ123

is this the 1st time the 1st devkits been leaked? & is this worth making a new thread?

CAT-DEV-V1-600x394.jpg

CAT-DEV-V1-2-600x395.jpg

Wii U First Devkits (CAT-DEV V1-V2)

As we promised we launch this new section with a big surprise for everybody. We have exclusive pictures of Wii U‘s first development kits.

The codename for these devkits (and their next iterations) is CAT-DEV (Cafe Tool for Development) plus the version.

The first thing you will notice is the devkit’s size. It’s trully very small, also looking as if it’s custom made, not “mass produced” equipment.

As you can see from the pictures below these kits don’t have support for the DRC (Display Remote Controller) yet. They only have support for the Wii Classic Controller with a special port (which we will see in our next article). So it’s interesting to notice that at the very first stages of Wii U’s life developers weren’t using the new controller at all.

Other thing you can notice about it is the lack of optical media. Only the newest devkits have support for the propietary media that Wii U uses.

In the back you will see the same outputs as in a Wii console plus the HDMI output and the classic controller port.

In short, we can see that the Wii U first devkits are a strange piece of hardware.

http://www.vgleaks.com/wii-u-first-devkits-cat-dev-v1-v2/

v1oz

Apparently Nintendo got a real bargain on the GPU. The 4770 is a beast compared to current gen. But what we don't know is if Nintendo removed some of the silicon, leaving fewer shaders, possibly to accommodate edram. I still say 400 Gflops is a safe conservative estimate for the GPU.

Meh, was kinda to be expected.

All it means is that I can ignore the Wii U just like I did with the Wii, as it will again get none of the big PS4/next-xbox third party games. I'm usually too cheap to buy more than one console per (current) gen, so this narrows it down.

All it means is that I can ignore the Wii U just like I did with the Wii, as it will again get none of the big PS4/next-xbox third party games. I'm usually too cheap to buy more than one console per (current) gen, so this narrows it down.

You sir, sound like you could use a gaming pc! Leave this ghetto.

You sir, sound like you could use a gaming pc! Leave this ghetto.

Thank you good sir for your recommendation, but I can't be PC-only for the main reason that I want the exclusive "blockbusters" of at least one of the big three. Also jp games.
My new laptop is at least ready for current games though so I'm kinda back checking out PC stuff, e.g. to mod&max out Fallout Vegas over buying the console version.
(also too cheap to be able to play everything at max settings at all times, which I kinda have an OCD for on PC)

is this the 1st time the 1st devkits been leaked? & is this worth making a new thread?

CAT-DEV-V1-600x394.jpg

I don't know but to be honest I wish a console would look like that instead of those shiny, plastic design monsters they sell in stores. Like a Thinkpad and that is a look I really like.

M3d10n

As counter to all the negativity. I've been playing some mighty impressive looking iOS games. For comparison the iPad 3 GPU is 38GFLOPS, the Wii U GPU is rumoured 400GFLOPs. Shadowgun on the iPad 3 runs at 2048x1536 with 4x MSAA according to the developers. That's well above the HD resolutions WiiU will be rendering at. So I would expect Wii U games running at 720p to be 60fps with FXAA as a bare minimum. Simple games like Mario Bros (without AI & physics) should be running at 1080p with ease.

Shadowgun isn't even the best looking iOS game by a stretch.

Shadowgun-01.jpg

Shadowgun-02.jpg

It's very easy to run at 2048x1536 when you have circle shadows and your entire level is using static pre-baked lighting. That's basically what most iOS games do, even Infinity Blade (characters have proper shadows in the iPad 2 and on, but the levels are still lit by static textures). If PC devs started doing this, every game would be playable at full HD on crappy Intel GPUs.

Log4Girlz

It's very easy to run at 2048x1536 when you have circle shadows and your entire level is using static pre-baked lighting. That's basically what most iOS games do, even Infinity Blade (characters have proper shadows in the iPad 2 and on, but the levels are still lit by static textures). If PC devs started doing this, every game would be playable at full HD on crappy Intel GPUs.

Oh shits you changed your avatar.

ari

Banned
what the hell ever. Just like the gamecube and the wii. Nintendo will always be an alternative console in my eyes. Take that as you will, but if you only had a wii this generation, you lost out on a lot. There might not be a problem with a wii60 or pswii, but a ps360 would just be pointless software wise....i mean....whats the benefit?
wii60 is probably the far superior combination by a fucking mile. Xbox got better third party support ,online features are better then ps3, and the xbox is a solid console all around then the ps3. top that off with the nintendo first party, then you got a good generation of games. I don't think i made a bad mistake with that combo.

that being said. Mario galaxy 1 and 2 looks more superior then most ps3 and xbox 360 games. That gives me hope at the slightest for super mario universe and the next zelda.

Log4Girlz

what the hell ever. Just like the gamecube and the wii. Nintendo will always be an alternative console in my eyes. Take that as you will, but if you only had a wii this generation, you lost out on a lot. There might not be a problem with a wii60 or pswii, but a ps360 just be pointless software wise....i mean....whats the benefit?
wii60 is probably the far superior combination by a fucking mile. Third party looks better and online features are better

that being said. Mario galaxy 1 and 2 looks more superior then most ps3 and xbox 360 games. That gives me hope at the slightest for super mario universe and the next zelda.

Well, the Wii U is more powerful than the system that's giving us the Last of Us, Beyond, Halo 4, Gears of War, etc. With proper art design the Wii U will give us genuinely beautiful experiences that the next-gen systems cannot detract from. They'll just be awesomer.

ElFly

If we are going to wonder about how many shaders/textures/render units the hting has, I'd guess it has at least 12 render units, to account for the extra work of the controller screen.

They probably went for the minimum needed to support a controller screen, since the framerate drops to 30fps when supporting two of them, which indicates they are halving one resource that is fully committed normally.

Who knows about shaders/texture units, though. AMD can probably accommodate whatever amount of those nintendo asked for, and it is nearly useless to compare existing chips.

Well, the Wii more powerful than the system that's giving us the Chronicles of Riddick, Doom 3, Conker: Live & Reloaded, etc. With proper art design the Wii will give us genuinely beautiful experiences that the next-gen systems cannot detract from. They'll just be awesomer.

It's like a time warp to 2006.

Log4Girlz

Each successive generation yields smaller and smaller graphical jumps. There is still one pretty big one to be had next gen, but it won't be anywhere the leap as from the n64 to gamecube, or PS2 to PS3. Whatever Retro works on will look stunning and nothing can take that away from the game.

Btw Mario Galaxy looks stunning.

Each successive generation yields smaller and smaller graphical jumps. There is still one pretty big one to be had next gen, but it won't be anywhere the leap as from the n64 to gamecube, or PS2 to PS3. Whatever Retro works on will look stunning and nothing can take that away from the game.

Btw Mario Galaxy looks stunning.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, I just thought the argument you made was very similar to what others said 6 years ago.

I think if you take the best looking current gen games, and put it up against the best Wii U games 6 years from now, I don't think on a technical scale they'll look very different.

Log4Girlz

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, I just thought the argument you made was very similar to what others said 6 years ago.

I think if you take the best looking current gen games, and put it up against the best Wii U games 6 years from now, I don't think on a technical scale they'll look very different.

If you take the best from each, no, they won't look massively different, but there will be improvement. Now if you take Last of Us or Beyond and compare it to the UE4 demo or even Square's Agni's demo, and though they are inferior, man the difference just isn't as night and day as it would have been in the past. Shit, if you told me that Last of Us or Beyond were first or even second gen PS4 games, I would have fucking believed you.

DCKing

Except the people who said that the Wii was more powerful than the Xbox were wrong. The Xbox has a better GPU than the Wii. It doesn't seem that the Wii U GPU will be outdone by Xenos this time.

@JoshuaJStone: the Xbox 360 doesn't have 48 shader units. It has 48 shader unit 'groups', with the total shader count being equivalent to roughly 240 Radeon HD4000 grade shaders units (although more primitive). A somewhat highly clocked RV730 chip could provide '1.5x' that performance, so that's probably the baseline of what to expect.

AzaK

This is where I stand. I only want one console next gen. Typically I buy Nintendo ones, but I, not convinced yet. In fact I become less convinced the more I see.

Boss Man

wii60 is probably the far superior combination by a fucking mile. Xbox got better third party support ,online features are better then ps3, and the xbox is a solid console all around then the ps3. top that off with the nintendo first party, then you got a good generation of games. I don't think i made a bad mistake with that combo.
Well as long as you're happy then you didn't make a mistake, but I think you're exaggerating quite a bit lol.

It really comes down to one factor: Do you care about all of Sony's exclusives or not?

If you do, then PSWii is what you want.

If you don't, then WiiPC is the better option.

I don't really see how Wii60 is the "by a fucking mile" superior combination in many situations though.

I expect the Wii U to be in a very similar situation to what the Wii has been in with regard to third parties. It's looking like it might be far enough out of Orbis/Durango range to miss out on regular ports of big third party games. I do expect the Wii U to see a ton of ports from 360 and PS3 though, so if you only owned a Wii last gen and you get the Wii U, you are about to be flooded with good games. The Wii U might also find itself in a better situation because the controls are not dependent on anything novel like motion controls. Third parties can make "normal" games for the system.

Top Bottom