• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to Spring 2018

kevin1025

Banned
On the bright side, MS might have a stacked 2018.

Crackdown
Halo?
Forza Horizon

the Xbox media briefing was bandied about as much for what it didn't show, as what it did. Specifically, a new (or old-made-new) Halo title. For some folks, their despair stemmed from a lack of remastered fight-finishing. I know I know, we should have told you ahead of time to not expect anything like that. Others were hoping for a tease of things farther off to come. While there's little to nothing that can be said on that front, it's been made clear that we won't be talking about Halo's next major title for quite some time. And no, that doesn't mean Gamescom. Or PAX. Trust us, when we're ready to begin pulling back that proverbial curtain, you'll know. It won't be soon.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/flood-of-emotion

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Their 2018 lineup isn't impressive either. They better have some big shit to announce at E3

Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3, all in the first half of the year, isn't impressive?

And then we've got Ori and Forza (not announced but most likely), and I'm sure more stuff will get announced.

Looks impressive to me!

Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3, all in the first half of the year, isn't impressive?

And then we've got Ori and Forza (not announced but most likely), and I'm sure more stuff will get announced.

Looks impressive to me!

I'm talking about sales.

I don't see any of those moving a significant amount of hardware

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Phil Spencer is lucky I don't have much time for gaming at the moment, otherwise I'm not sure Xbox would be enough.

I'm pretty settled on holding off on an X, now. Unless they drop something big at GC, which I doubt.

I highly disagree.

Just curious: do you think State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3 look like great/big titles?

They all look anywhere from mediocre to good to me.

IMO God of War and (hopefully in 2018) Spider-Man both crush any Xbox game announced thus far. Both will score extremely well critically and will also sell a shitton of copies.

wapplew

Seriously, what is Microsoft's pitch to a gamer as to why you should buy an Xbox? I genuinely can't think of what I would even leverage if I were a marketing person with the job of telling people why they need to own an Xbox. Seems like they aren't even trying anymore.

The only console where you can play nearly 1000 games and over 100 console exclusives on the fastest most reliable gaming network with HDR 4K Ultra HD and Bluray.
The ultimate 4K game and entertainment system.

That's great and all, and I'm sure there is some stuff to please the Xbox Faithful or core fanbase

But barring a shocking surprise State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3 aren't exactly system sellers

- State of Decay
- Sea of Thieves
- Crackdown
Probable...
- Ori
- Halo 6?
- Forza Horizon?

Nice diverse lineup of games there.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Fight about consoles, lineup and metacritic scores all you want, I just want my coop mayhem simulator already :(

But the delay is a good thing, end of year is a crazy time and I'll have Destiny 2 to sink my teeth into.

statham

That's great and all, and I'm sure there is some stuff to please the Xbox Faithful or core fanbase

But barring a shocking surprise State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3 aren't exactly system sellers

those three makes it exciting for me, extra polish. not to mention we will get Halo 6 and FH4, plus more.

gogosox82

Looks impressive to me!

They may end up being great games but I'm not sure if they are going to garner a lot of sales and I don't see anyone picking up an xbox to play them either. Now if Halo 6 gets announced that would be another story all together but no news of that happening yet.

E3 2014 continues to be a major dumpster fire. What are the odds that it takes until after E3 2018 before this thing is released? I'd say 75 percent.

Also, this year is absolutely the worst first party showing by Microsoft. I think the exclusive titles they released on original Xbox the year they killed the original Xbox may have even been better.

Just looked at the list: Conker reloaded, Forza, Jade Empire, Phantom Dust.

Yup, hands down 2017 was the first party showing by Microsoft in the history of Xbox.

Sjefen

I think MP is too blame, they havent shown anything and just before Gamescom they delay the game, when everyone expected a reveal. Better too delay a game than cancel it imo

daman824

And you think those jump hardware? Again judging a surprising performance none of that software moves substantial units but Halo 6.
I mean... I don't know what you're really expecting. Halo is microsofts biggest franchise, and forza isn't a slouch either.

What do you think they could release next year that would move hardware? An unproven new ip?

Looks impressive to me!

Besides SOD2, we've already known about sea of thieves and crackdown 3 for years. Microsoft needs something big and fresh. I'm not entirely sure they will. E3 was mostly full of indies and multiplats. Not exactly encouraging going forward. No new halo announced. No new gears.

Finaj

And you think those jump hardware? Again judging a surprising performance none of that software moves substantial units but Halo 6.

I don't there's really anything MS can publish that will significantly move hardware period; existing franchise, new IP or otherwise.

statham

Just curious: do you think State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3 look like great/big titles?

They all look anywhere from mediocre to good to me.

IMO God of War and (hopefully in 2018) Spider-Man both crush any Xbox game announced thus far. Both will score extremely well critically and will also sell a shitton of copies.

God Of War looks mediocre to good to me..

border

Why you're continuing to dig a hole with this Sony Too bullshit, I have no idea.

Probably because people have been begging for Microsoft to act more like Sony and spread releases around the calendar year. But when they finally do it's seen as some kind of disaster that a B-list franchise can't make it out in time for Christmas.

They spent a good portion of their conference hyping up their new "Most Powerful Console" and now we have it coming with no killer app.

Prior to this delay, did anyone honestly consider Crackdown 3 to be a killer app? X1X was always going to launch without a big showcase title.

Fukuzatsu

I don't know what point you are trying to make. I satirically point out that people are complaining about actual facts being brought into this discussion, and part of your reply is to paraphrase two non-factual opinions. Then you rail against that strawman as non-sequiturs.

Perhaps my attempt at satire was too subtle, so let me explicitly state my point. A comment was made questioning why delayed Sony games are declared a good thing while delayed Microsoft games have an outcry like this thread. The very well fact'd reply to that comment showed that delayed Sony games end up being very well received, while delayed Microsoft games are poorly received or canceled.

That quite explicitly shows why delayed Microsoft and Sony games are treated differently. Delays in Sony games indicate that the game is being held up for more polish. Delays in Microsoft games indicate games in deeply troubled development. The comment made this point with facts, not opinions, and is the type of comment that we need more of not less. Here it is for reference.

My apologies for not realising you were being satirical, but my point was just that in many of these types of discussions, there are a lot of people who argue that exclusives don't matter. In the context of game delays (especially of said exclusives), your point is that reactions to Sony delays are very different when compared to Microsoft delays.

But I would argue that the reason for this is not due to an ignoring of facts, but instead the fact that Xbox has a continually-dwindling wheelhouse of exclusives at retail compared to Sony. Even if a Sony exclusive is delayed there are others to be had, and the fact that someone in this very thread trotted out The Order and Driveclub to try and make them look as bad as Microsoft in 2017 says volumes about the gap in each system's respective delays.

God Of War looks mediocre to good to me..

And that's fair. That doesn't seem to be how most gamers and media feel about it though.

Generally speaking, God of War and Spider-Man easily have more buzz and excitment than any of those Xbox exclusives. And I'd bet money they will score and sell significantly higher too.

Also, this year is absolutely the worst first party showing by Microsoft. I think the exclusive titles they released on original Xbox the year they killed the original Xbox may have even been better.

Just looked at the list: Conker reloaded, Forza, Jade Empire, Phantom Dust.

Yup, hands down 2017 was the first party showing by Microsoft in the history of Xbox.

2005 OG Xbox also had exclusive Oddworld Strangers Wrath, Unreal Championship 2, console exclusive Doom 3 and Half LIfe 2. That was a MUCH better year for Xbox exclusives (and really shows how the market has changed with a surprising number of 3rd party exclusive titles)

They may end up being great games but I'm not sure if they are going to garner a lot of sales and I don't see anyone picking up an xbox to play them either. Now if Halo 6 gets announced that would be another story all together but no news of that happening yet.

So it's either don't release exclusive titles and not sell consoles or release exclusive titles and not sell consoles. I'm not really sure if Microsoft Studios should try at all at this point. 😧

Despite that, even my patience has been tested more than enough. I'm very dissatisfied with the offerings of MS Studios this generation, and I really hope someone comes out to talk about the current situation because I don't feel confident in whether the division is interested in producing games like they used to.

Hopefully the delay makes Crackdown 3 a better game. Delays are always frustrating in software development.

Gross incompetence would be MS releasing the game in the state it is in, in the face of all of the constructive criticism and feedback and sending the game to die.

They did the right thing.

I mean... I don't know what you're really expecting. Halo is microsofts biggest franchise, and forza isn't a slouch either.

What do you think they could release next year that would move hardware? An unproven new ip?

I have no idea and that's my point.

Fable is dead. Gears and Halo both shrank gen over gen. The Forza Horizon brand did see growth which is a positive. There has seemingly been a budget reduction on the Xbox side of the business over the last couple years.

It's harsh and I want the best but I don't see the Xbox Division in a positive light right now at all

That is 2018 as well.

So the 2018 lineup is looking like

Crackdown 3
State of Decay 2
Sea of Thieves
Ori
Forza
Halo 6

Those first 3 were all delayed from this year.

this kind of gives them leeway to delay any of those titles now in turn. I could totally see a situation where an unannounced exclusive deal fell through and MS needed to space the games out a bit more.

Halo 6 and Sea of Thieves being 2019 titles.

daman824

I have no idea and that's my point.

Fable is dead. Gears and Halo both shrank gen over gen. The Forza Horizon brand did see growth which is a positive. There has seemingly been a budget reduction on the Xbox side of the business over the last couple years.

It's harsh and I want the best but I don't see the Xbox Division in a positive light right now at all
Xbox is down because the multiplatform games people want to play are worse on the Xbox one. Releasing a ton of brand new games won't get the xb1 closer to the PS4.

But saying that microsofts lineup next year is bad is a little crazy. They have an open world game super hero game, a multiplayer based pirate game, a first person shooter, an open world zombie survival game, and an open world racing game.

Fukuzatsu

2005 OG Xbox also had exclusive Oddworld Strangers Wrath, Unreal Championship 2, console exclusive Doom 3 and Half LIfe 2. That was a MUCH better year for Xbox exclusives (and really shows how the market has changed with a surprising number of 3rd party exclusive titles)

And on the Japanese front as well, look at how many exclusives Sega and FromSoft put out on the system. Hell, in a way it was basically Dreamcast v2 with Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT 2002. Then you had Phantom Crush, Dead or Alive 3, Otogi, Metal Wolf Chaos, even an exclusive Shin Megami Tensei game.

border

Do you really believe that this is the brunt of criticism towards Microsoft's exclusives lineup?

No. I'd say that the majority of the criticism is that Microsoft's lineup isn't diverse enough, and just features tried-and-true franchises that have become rote and stale. I think that's a fair critique. At the same time it's worth noting that attempts at new IPs were largely unsuccessful (Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Seriously, what is Microsoft's pitch to a gamer as to why you should buy an Xbox? I genuinely can't think of what I would even leverage if I were a marketing person with the job of telling people why they need to own an Xbox. Seems like they aren't even trying anymore.

"The most powerful console in the world"

They're selling it on hardware power, not software variety.

The game was announced at E3 2014. The gross incompetence is that it is still in the state it is in despite being a console launch flagship.

So then you think they should just follow through with that gross incompetence for good measure?

They are trying to take responsibility for their mistake. At least that's what it looks like to me. They are in a tough spot so that actually grants some respect from me. But I'm weird and able to respect their good choices as well as criticize their mistakes.

I think this was a good move period.

Humdinger

So Forza 7 is going to be the only first party dedicated Xbox one x game then?

MS gonna shoot themselves in the foot big time when trying to sell a 4K machine with one game.

It ain't exactly Zelda, is it?

It's not like what we saw of Crackdown made it XboneX savior anyway...

Crackdown was held up as a standard-bearer for the Xbox, when it was unveiled. It's really fallen from grace.

Apart from the marketspeak ("true 4K," "fastest gaming network," etc.), I think in reality it comes down to "better looking/performing multiplatform games," at this point. Maybe in a year they'll have an argument to make in terms of first-party exclusives that look especially stunning on the platform, but at this point, they're relying on the appeal of 3rd party games that look/play a bit better.

amardilo

Kind of glad it's getting delayed if it means it will look more visually impressive.

However 2017 seems like a pretty barren year for MS games.

gogosox82

So it's either don't release exclusive titles and not sell consoles or release exclusive titles and not sell consoles. I'm not really sure if Microsoft Studios should try at all at this point. 😧

Despite that, even my patience has been tested more than enough. I'm very dissatisfied with the offerings of MS Studios this generation, and I really hope someone comes out to talk about the current situation because I don't feel confident in whether the division is interested in producing games like they used to.

Hopefully the delay makes Crackdown 3 a better game. Delays are always frustrating in software development.

Well I think Halo and maybe Forza are the only titles that would be system sellers at this point. They basically have killed Fable, they cancelled scalebound, and keep delaying games. I mean, CD3 got announced in 2014 and how long have they been talking about Sea of thieves? Its just hard to be excited for these titles. I don't think these games would've moved consoles but delaying them for years like this just kills the enthusiasm for the games.

Head.spawn

What can they realistically do between now and Spring to change the game?

Graphics could be improved obviously.. mainly because textures were pretty bad to begin with, art style could take a few settings tweaks and look a lot better.. but what about animation, physics, destructibility, gameplay? That shit seems like it would be locked in stone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Probably because people have been begging for Microsoft to act more like Sony and spread releases around the calendar year. But when they finally do it's seen as some kind of disaster that a B-list franchise can't make it out in time for Christmas.

Prior to this delay, did anyone honestly consider Crackdown 3 to be a killer app? X1X was always going to launch without a big showcase title.

While I agree about them spreading their releases out more (although they need more titles to be able to spread out..), I expect that is being ignored due to frustration about yet another delay for crackdown specifically. This isn’t planned, it’s reactionary.

Hey silver lining - maybe MS sees sales do well in q1 and adjusts their release planning?

Top Bottom