• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time sold over 5 million copies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I finished this when i played it but overall:

1) Terrible hitboxes
2) Some levels were too long and poorly designed
3) For completionists, what you needed to do for gems was insanely over the top in some cases
Oh, so it’s just like the original games?

xrnzaaas

couldn't finish this one, too frustrating in certain locations and boxes placement were shit tier :/
Yeah the game is way too hard for trying to do a normal story playthrough and see it to the end. I'm not even talking about 100%-ing it or trying to complete extra challenges. The levels are long and there are tons of difficult moves to be done before you can reach another checkpoint. The last level almost had me uninstall it and I would've done it if I didn't know I was so close to the end. I didn't have the same issue with the remade trilogy - those games became super problematic only if you went after the optional stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it came out, but it should've definitely been more friendly towards people who aren't Crash/platformer veterans.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Really good for them and yet further evidence that Spyro 4 is in the pipeline, as if we needed more evidence.

As a lifelong Crash trilogy fan 4 was nice, wouldn't pick it up again personally but it was cool to see somebody take most of what made the originals good and make a new one. They just went way too hard on it, literally, it's an overall much harder game than the originals minus a few famously annoying levels here and there. 100% is absolutely masochistic.

Much more excited to see what TFB do with Spyro because I think they'll understand what makes Spyro good - vibes.

Kataploom

Gold Member
5 Million is great, congrats to the team, and as MS is kinda desperate to make their 70B worth it, I heard they're letting devs do their own, which could mean it's not the last game we get.

I'm still wanting to go through the whole trilogy since last I played a Crash Bandicoot game was when I was a kid, but I'll definitely do even if just to try this out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I like a good platformer but I'm no masochist; the word of mouth on the difficulty stopped me from buying it.

Honestly, just finishing the game isn't too bad - the final level is by far the hardest one and you just stick on modern mode for infinite lives so that you don't have to go farm them from easy levels first if you're low.

The stupidly difficult part is 100%ing it. It's a shame because while the old games were somewhat tough to 100% they weren't nearly as horrible on the requirements.

Yeah the game is way too hard for trying to do a normal story playthrough and see it to the end. I'm not even talking about 100%-ing it or trying to complete extra challenges. The levels are long and there are tons of difficult moves to be done before you can reach another checkpoint. The last level almost had me uninstall it and I would've done it if I didn't know I was so close to the end. I didn't have the same issue with the remade trilogy - those games became super problematic only if you went after the optional stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it came out, but it should've definitely been more friendly towards people who aren't Crash/platformer veterans.
Thing ja - i am Crash veteran, I can play 1-3 all day long and 100% them all time with frustration coming in here and there. But Crash 4 to me seemed like they cranked shit up 300% with as you said - too long levels with difficult moves etc...

I presume this is counting the PlayStation plus monthly free game version, as they seem to be generally counted as “sales”.
Don't think so. PS+ and GP are always included in the total downloads and/or total players number. Anyway, since this particular sales data point is scrapped from a linkedin profile it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

AV

The remastered trilogy? Yes. The originals didn't have the horrible hitbox problems the remastered trilogy and Crash 4 have.

Did this honestly cause you to die more than maybe twice? I won't pretend it's as precise as Crash 1 where you can literally float on thin air due to how the collision works, but it was just never an issue for me going through the remakes. Think I had a couple deaths on the Crash 1 bridge levels that felt bad.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Did this honestly cause you to die more than maybe twice? I won't pretend it's as precise as Crash 1 where you can literally float on thin air due to how the collision works, but it was just never an issue for me going through the remakes. Think I had a couple deaths on the Crash 1 bridge levels that felt bad.

Yes, plenty of deaths that weren't my fault and many others had the same experience. I played the originals so many times back in the day that i could easily get through most of the stages on muscle memory alone.

The remastered trilogy and Crash 4 definitely weren't on par with the originals.

AV

Yes, plenty of deaths that weren't my fault and many others had the same experience. I played the originals so many times back in the day that i could easily get through most of the stages on muscle memory alone.

The remastered trilogy and Crash 4 definitely weren't on par with the originals.

Yeah, for sure it was a thing. I remember people especially getting caught on the pistons in the futuristic levels in 3. Maybe I just got lucky but it was rarely an issue.

Not sure if I'd replay the originals or the remakes now if I went back yet again. Done the originals so many times that the novelty of the redesign and 60fps was quite nice.

Kerotan

AfCgNW2.jpg

Techies

I enjoyed the game very much, but I played the entirety of it, all the story levels in VR though. The last level was pretty damn annoying though.

Last edited:

Techies

Really good for them and yet further evidence that Spyro 4 is in the pipeline, as if we needed more evidence.

As a lifelong Crash trilogy fan 4 was nice, wouldn't pick it up again personally but it was cool to see somebody take most of what made the originals good and make a new one. They just went way too hard on it, literally, it's an overall much harder game than the originals minus a few famously annoying levels here and there. 100% is absolutely masochistic.

Much more excited to see what TFB do with Spyro because I think they'll understand what makes Spyro good - vibes.
I know my limits, going full completionist on this is not my thing. Had to google why I could not pick up tapes and seem you have to get to that part of the level without dying x amounts.

Yeah, I found the game fucking difficult compared to the first three.

nial

Gold Member
I never really liked Crash Bandicoot, but the ND games definitely have their own charm that was simply lost on everything afterwards. Well, except for both PS4 remakes, the only good stuff to come out of the series since 2000.

Last edited:

Techies

Yeah, I found the game fucking difficult compared to the first three.
It's a bit easier with depth perception in VR.
The last level on the other hand,involved using some weird tech, like sliding after a platform vanished in mid air and jumping afterwords along with timing.

Remember me wanting to quickly finish the game and ending up spending nearly two hours on that level.

Top Bottom