• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creative Director Confirms New Dragon Age In The Works, Says Jade Empire 2 Existed.

Zyae

More Bioware?
Mass-Effect-Andromeda-GIF-3.gif

eeehh, I dunno... They need to really step it up. They've flopped this gen so far.

inquisition was great, was loved by many and was reviewed very well.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
so that means...

Anthem 2018
Dragon Age 4 2021

Sounds about right

I'm guessing 2019 for Dragon Age 4. Edmonton isn't just the one team. Inquisition was made there while ME3 was in its production's home stretch and during the early concept phase for what is now Anthem.

jmood88

I don't know Bioware...you really need to focus on getting a huge win here. (Ie Anthem).

After that, you can go back to Dragon Age and try to remember what it was like to actually write games with heart.
You don't seem to understand that Bioware has multiple teams working on different things.

Lister

Banned
inquisition was great, was loved by many and was reviewed very well.

Inquisition was boring, empty, featured fairly linear narrative structure compared to what came before. And as evidenced by a lto of threads here and reviews elsewhere, was NOT loved by a many others.

Zyae

Inquisition was boring, empty, featured fairly linear narrative structure compared to what came before. And as evidenced by a lto of threads here and reviews elsewhere, was NOT loved by a many others.

Neogaf isnt exactly a a great representation of the gaming community as a whole.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dragon-age-inquisition

89 on metacritic

http://opencritic.com/game/156/dragon-age-inquisition

88%

Its a flawed game for sure but the vocal minority here on gaf kind of overshadows everyone else. Didnt it win Gafs RPG of the year?

so that means...

Anthem 2018
Dragon Age 4 2021

Sounds about right
No way. DA4 is most likely a Fall 2019 title, which also happens to be the series' tenth anniversary (Origins was released Fall 2009). The game has already been in development for at least 1.5 years.

Village

Neogaf isnt a good bar for reception on most things. Especially main stream things

Sou Da

Origins is painfully linear my dude. Like much more so than any BG game.

Also this new Dragon Age is the worst kept secret.

Weebos

Banned
Neogaf isnt exactly a a great representation of the gaming community as a whole.

89 on metacritic

88%

Its a flawed game for sure but the vocal minority here on gaf kind of overshadows everyone else. Didnt it win Gafs RPG of the year?

It came in #4 for GAF 2014 GOTY and won Best RPG.

It was a weak year, but it certainly hasn't earned the reputation it has here these days. Not sure why GAF turned on it so hard.

Neogaf isnt a good bar for reception on most things. Especially main stream things
While I agree the game doesn't exactly have the best reputation around these parts, it did have some deeply flawed design choices that seriously detracted from the experience. I also think the fact that it won so many awards was at least partially a direct consequence of the lack of competition in the RPG space at the time.

DA is one of the few truly original fantasy IP going on now. It used the bog-standard surface aesthetics of the old tolkien branch (elves, orcs) and subverted them nicely (elves are poor slaves, are gods real or not?, etc) and has kept developing it's world while raising the stakes AND keeping the big background of the world and it's creation still secret.
I'm ready for some more magic.

Garlador

It came in #4 for GAF 2014 GOTY and won Best RPG.

It was a weak year, but it certainly hasn't earned the reputation it has here these days. Not sure why GAF turned on it so hard.
We're in a post-Witcher 3 world. It wasn't bad but a lot of its problems are more glaring now in hindsight and compared to its peers. The bar was raised and that makes it hard to go back and slog through many of Inquisitions less enjoyable elements.

Zyae

We're in a post-Witcher 3 world. It wasn't bad but a lot of its problems are more glaring now in hindsight and compared to its peers. The bar was raised and that makes it hard to go back and slog through many of Inquisitions less enjoyable elements.

I know its a shocker but some people prefer the gameplay in Inquisition to Witcher 3

Garlador

I know its a shocker but some people prefer the gameplay in Inquisition to Witcher 3
Gameplay perhaps... but quest design? I haven't met anyone yet that prefers Inquisition over Witcher in that area. Inquisition's quest designs were pretty awful outside of the DLC. I still have flashbacks to shard hunting...

The only bar The Witcher 3 raised was in terms of presentation.

-The story was good but not groundbreaking,
-It featured loads of fetch quests, loads of "go there, kill this come back" type of quest
-It was filled with collectibles
-It had that Batman detective mode and loads of quest were you simply put that on and move forward
-The gameplay was serviceable at best

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I enjoyed it a lot and even more so then DA:I but this "post-Witcher 3" nonsense is really starting to be annoying now.

I believe 2K owns Jade Empire (it's almost always included in their 2K game sales on Steam). A sequel would be nice but who would even make it at this point?

Zukkoyaki

I enjoyed Inquisition so a new Dragon Age is definitely on my radar. Hopefully they go full action or full strategy with the combat. The awkward middle ground needs to go.

Sou Da

More in the sense that Inquisition has anything but great RPG mechanics. Any Bioware game in years, really.
Do you exist just to haunt BW threads like some jaded Ex-lover ghost at this point? The only significant RPG mechanic JE had was Kotor's morality system, I love the game but that shit was still unfitting for the game it was.

Ralemont

not me
More in the sense that Inquisition has anything but great RPG mechanics. Any Bioware game in years, really.

OK but my point was that RPG mechanics are not particularly important to a Jade Empire game. It's actually an IP pretty well-suited to modern BioWare:

1. Action gameplay.
2. Shortest Bio game I believe, even shorter than DA2. at around 20 hours. So easier on development costs.
3. Focus on big binary moral decisions.
4. Focus on characters.
5. Possibilities for multiplayer (everyone knows this is a consideration).

Pretty much the only thing Jade Empire does that modern BW doesn't is good sidequests.

arigato

I worked with an artist who did concept stuff for Jade Empire 2. He said it was set in a future version of that world - a blade runnerish SF setup. He said it was amazing. I am sad because I would murder to see that.
Man, why does so much money get wasted on forgettable trash like sequels to Knack and Bubsy returning? We truly are in the worst timeline.

Lister

Banned
I think the word you were looking for was reactivity not linearity.

Don't the two kind of go hand in hand? In origins you had the warden quests which yoiu could do in any order. And they could be resolved in any number of ways. And often doing one before or after another would affect the outcome or your options. I don't recall inquisition having anything like that. I guess you could take some quests at different times but they were bundled up in sequences via the map/power system. And with few exceptions (companion quests mostly) they always resolvedd in the same way.

Although I'm struggling to rember any of them, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sou Da

Don't the two kind of go hand in hand? In origins you had the warden quests which yoiu could do in any order. And they could be resolved in any number of ways. And often doing one before or after another would affect the outcome or your options. I don't recall inquisition having anything like that. I guess you could take some quests at different times but they were bundled up in sequences via the map/power system. And with few exceptions (companion quests mostly) they always resolvedd in the same way.

Although I'm struggling to rember any of them, correct me if I'm wrong.

"Any number of ways" doesn't sound like the resolutions to the Warden quests to me. I remember nearly all of them sans Redcliffe being pretty binary and even then Redcliffe's non binary resolution for the possession plot was incredibly idealistic and unbelievable in a sense.

Village

While I agree the game doesn't exactly have the best reputation around these parts, it did have some deeply flawed design choices that seriously detracted from the experience. I also think the fact that it won so many awards was at least partially a direct consequence of the lack of competition in the RPG space at the time.

If you don't enjoy , thats fine. I also Agree with your point with it not having that much competition. And I love the game.

I'm just saying, gaf's opinions, or rather the collection of them, tend to be a very specific brand of the already limited area of enthusiast.

Gaf is the home of " why is this character in something" and the response being " that's actually the most popular character everyone likes". Gaf can be used as a bar sometimes, but most of the time, you take it for what it is. Some folks being critical, not all.

The only bar The Witcher 3 raised was in terms of presentation.

-The story was good but not groundbreaking,
-It featured loads of fetch quests, loads of "go there, kill this come back" type of quest
-It was filled with collectibles
-It had that Batman detective mode and loads of quest were you simply put that on and move forward
-The gameplay was serviceable at best

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I enjoyed it a lot and even more so then DA:I but this "post-Witcher 3" nonsense is really starting to be annoying now.

Not sure what we are comparing the Witcher's story to. What is a groundbreaking story in RPG games? What is a "groundbreaking" story in general? I would say the Witcher 3's story is, by pure virtue of not being filled with cheesy swill and poor presentation, better than 90% of RPGs in the same way that the story of Planescape is better than 99% of RPGs - mostly because storytelling in video games has such a low bar.

The game was filled with fetch quests and collectibles. And the Batman detective mode. And every single mission had characters and moments that made it memorable. You could distill the Giant of Undvik missions down to simply following "Batman mode", but you would be missing out on Hjallmar and his crew. The mystery of the giant itself. The whole island and its culture. In the same way, you could distill the entire game down to its (debatably) worst parts and ignore all the ways the game was "groundbreaking".

The Dink

Also says he has an idea in his head what the game would be, but the game's (Jade Empire's) entire creative team is working on Dragon Age.

Trade my least favorite Bioware title for my most favorite series? Good. Fuck Jade Empire.

Story-wise it was serviceable and decent enough. Ultimately though, it went off-the-rails near the end and its side characters were mostly forgettable except for the little possessed girl. The twist that happens near the end was comical in the 180 the character's behavior exhibits afterwards. Surprised he didn't grow a curly, black mustache he could twirl as he spouted off his nonsense. The story just can't stand against Bioware's other works even with its unique setting for an RPG.

Its binary morality system made no sense for the philosophy of the world they were building. So many in-game descriptions presenting either path as justifiable or morally acceptable right before presenting a light/dark side-style decision that could have been copy-pasted into a KOTOR game. You can't say your "evil" path isn't evil but misunderstood while having me rob innocent people, side with cannibals and
have an ending where I enslave a god and rule in the villain's stead while ominous music plays
. At least with Star Wars you knew what you were signing up for. Dragon Age and Mass Effect did "grey" morality leagues better.

Lastly, the combat system, while at first interesting, turned out to be easily exploited (jump over enemy or spam status effect moves) and eventually made battles a chore. It was clear it was their first attempt at breaking away from the standard battle system in WRPG's at the time. Many of the animations looked silly as hell as well.

I will never understand the love people have for Jade Empire. It's like a poor man's KOTOR. If they returned to the world, I would hope they'd iron out the kinks and implement lessons learned from their other series (just hopefully not some of the wrong lessons they've picked up recently). As it stands now, let them finish Dragon Age up.

Jumeira

Banned
I played it, NeoGAF couldve saved me money if it was more vocal. Inquisition tops the list of dogshit games this gen. Never going to listen to any recommendation from people that think it was good.

I'm looking forward to Anthem, but I'll avoid BioWare c-tier franchises like Dragon Age. Would prefer if they tried to resurrect Jade, but no thanks to DA

Renekton

I worked with an artist who did concept stuff for Jade Empire 2. He said it was set in a future version of that world - a blade runnerish SF setup. He said it was amazing. I am sad because I would murder to see that.
I'm imagining Shadowrun HK setting, Bioware romance, Mass Effect gunplay and diet-Platinum martial arts melee.

Already sounds like GAF will hate it haha.

89 on metacritic

88%

It did. And that in a year with Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Wasteland 2, Lords of Xulima and M&M X.

so yeah make of that what you will

lol

Also Jade Empire is a bad game and it is good its sequel got cancelled.

Trickster

If it's anything like DA:I, I am not touching it. Unfortunately it probably will be, their sales haven't suffered by making their rpg's more shallow, follow the same blueprint across IPs or having boring stories.

DA:O was so good :(

Top Bottom