• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creator of Xbox on the Origin of the DUKE, It's Japanese Reception and 2017 Revival

From Seamus Blackley over on Twitter.

THREAD: Why is there a re-release of the OG Xbox controller when "everybody hates it?"

2- The original Xbox controller circuit board was farmed out to a company who made it too big

3- so a very talented designer figured out a way to mostly make it work, but alas it was enormous

3- I mean, it had its own weather systems. Jets would occasionally divert from SeaTac to land on it. It affected tides.

4- There was a lot going on during that time, and I lost track a bit and then suddenly I was standing on stage holding this thing...

5- ...and people got ANGRY and threw stuff and made jokes about hand (ahem) size and such. It was actually pretty u pleasant to be...

6- ...the face of it. I was spending a lot of time in Japan in this period wooing Japanese developers and publishers, who all started to...

7- ...PANIC at the size of the thing for the Japanese market, let alone ROW. So, I ended up helping them sign a petition to redesign a new..

8-...controller for the Japanese market, which became the "S" controller. I was relieved and proud, because the heat we took over the big...

9-...controller was intense. I honestly had no idea from my perspective that the DUKE was also dearly loved by many gamers!

10- (btw the code name DUKE was after the son of the program manager for it, a wonderful guy and a great kid.)

11- So, last year after unpacking some boxes, I tweeted a picture of one of the original prototype DUKEs, and to my honest AMAZEMENT

12- ...people were SUPER POSITIVE and nostalgic about it, even though I was even then mocking it and making jokes about it causing tsunamis.

13- One follower suggested that I get MS to re-release it for Xbox One, and I asked if anyone would be psyched and this got...

...No 14...

15... an ASTONISHING response, enough that Phil Spencer noticed. So we talked, in amazement, at how awesome it was that there was love...

16- for DUKE. For me, the idea of turning all that negative energy into something positive was completely inspiring, so...

17- with @XboxP3 's blessing I built a little prototype where I cut out the original foil "X" and replaced it with an OLED display...

18- and had it play the OG startup, which ends with the logo that matches the original foil. I sent it to MS and along with @hyperkin

19- we got a plan together and now they have an approved design and product. So. When I see people saying "everyone hated the OG controller"

20- I smile, because it's not true, and I learned a lesson, and I get to love something now that was painful. Gamers Rule. Game on!

LQX

The Duke is the Homer Simpson car of controllers but I personaaly was fine with it. The "S" was a way better/refined controller.

Marcel

That's a lot of cute revisionism. I was a huge mark for the Xbox brand back in the day and there was an absurd amount of hate on the Duke controller that was hard to spin as a young slobbering Microsoft fanboy. The S controller was universally celebrated as an improvement and much easier to use.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
(btw the code name DUKE was after the son of the program manager for it, a wonderful guy and a great kid.)
oh ok I thought it was Stinkles' fault

The Duke was one of the reasons I mocked and ridiculed the Xbox before owning one. But eventually after using it I realized it wasn't bad at all, though not nearly as comfortable as the S.

I look back and wonder how my 9 year old hands held that thing lol I don't even remember caring about it as a kid, although it was clear to me that it was huge.

jelly

It was huge but I still played fine with it so they got something right.

I still don't know why he bothered, make an Xbox One Duke controller in spirit not the same thing!

That's a lot of cute revisionism. I was a huge mark for the Xbox brand back in the day and there was an absurd amount of hate on the Duke controller that was hard to spin as a young slobbering Microsoft fanboy. The S controller was universally celebrated as an improvement and much easier to use.

Uh, that's what he said. Did you read the post?

OK si misery solved as to who named that co triller "the Duke". Now could anyone please tell me who or why people started referring to the OG PS3 as "PS3 phat"??? Why not "fat"? Is "phat" even a word?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Duke was and is the greatest controller of all. Only bad thing about it wad black and white buttons instead of bumpers. It fit my hands like perfection. Controller S felt incredibly uncomfortable to me in comparison. I bought one, but hardly used it.

Do we know when and how the new duke will be available? I can't wait to play me some Halo eith that.

Zalusithix

The size of the Duke was only one of the issues plaguing it. The squashed diamond formation for the primary buttons was a horrible layout, and they were too close together on top of that. Trigger tension was also too high. It didn't matter that I could hold the (absurdly large) controller well enough, since I hated so many things on the controller. With the exception of the somewhat awkward black and white button placement, the S was better in every way.

I really have to wonder how many people wanting the revival of the Duke are basing their desire on nostalgia vs still having one on hand to pick up. I have a hard time believing there's enough people that can honestly pick one up these days and think "Yeah, I want something just like this." to make the product viable for production.

Shin-Ra

The convex buttons were uncomfortable to press, especially in games with pressure sensitivity like MGS2.

Cheerilee

OK si misery solved as to who named that co triller "the Duke". Now could anyone please tell me who or why people started referring to the OG PS3 as "PS3 phat"??? Why not "fat"? Is "phat" even a word?

Phat = Pretty Hot and Tempting.

It used to be used in the sort of "This thing is so bad (where bad = good)" kind of way.

Like if you're at a club, and there's an amazing-looking girl, at one point it was appropriate to say "OMG, look at that girl over there. She's so phat. She's just my type." And if you looked at your friend with puzzlement because you thought they said "fat", and the girl is clearly not fat, and you did not know that your friend was into fat chicks... then you just outed yourself as an uncool person who was not up-to-date on the latest slang.

I think people tried to brand the OG PS3 as "fat" (after the revision was branded as being "slim"). Then Sony fans steered it in a positive direction by saying it was phat, not fat. And that correction took root.

The Duke name was never really a mystery. I think it's in the Opening the Xbox book.
I thought it was generally understood that it referred to John Wayne's nickname, aka the undisputed symbol of American manliness.

Breakage

Compared to the Dreamcast and N64 controllers the Duke is a great pad.It's the Ford F-150 of controllers - very American.

Phat = Pretty Hot and Tempting.

It used to be used in the sort of "This thing is so bad (where bad = good)" kind of way.

Like if you're at a club, and there's an amazing-looking girl, at one point it was appropriate to say "OMG, look at that girl over there. She's so phat. She's just my type." And if you looked at your friend with puzzlement because you thought they said "fat", and the girl is clearly not fat, and you did not know that your friend was into fat chicks... then you just outed yourself as an uncool person who was not up-to-date on the latest slang.

I think people tried to brand the OG PS3 as "fat" (after the revision was branded as being "slim"). Then Sony fans steered it in a positive direction by saying it was phat, not fat. And that correction took root.

I thought it was generally understood that it referred to John Wayne's nickname, aka the undisputed symbol of American manliness.
That was... didactic! Thanks!

Do we know when and how the new duke will be available? I can't wait to play me some Halo eith that.

Apparently it was going to be a limited release for the end of this year but apparently there is some discussion from Hyperkin folk online about doing a larger, standard, run.

The duke got us to the S, so uh.. thanks for that.
Did love the S, the 360 controller. Have come round the One controller, do love that they all feel fairly solid.

Top Bottom