• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-buy for 3DS -> Wii U (but not vice-versa) now possible only in Europe

dcx4610

Thus it beings...Nintendo Fusion.

I was always surprised that Sony of all companies was the first to offer cross-buy. It seemed like a Nintendo concept. Hopefully this becomes a trend.

I think if anything, Virtual Console should be cross-buy without exception. There have been so many times I have skipped VC titles like Earthbound because I want to play it on my 3DS as well. Give me cross-buy and you get my money on many other games I would have never considered otherwise.

Miruhoggu

Neo Member
The Game Bakers told me the cross-buy offer only works one way : you can get the Wii U version for free if you buy the 3DS one, but you can't get it on 3DS if you already own/buy the Wii U build. Also, it'll be for Europe only, even if they tried to make it work worldwide.

MicH

The Game Bakers told me the cross-buy offer only works one way : you can get the Wii U version for free if you buy the 3DS one, but you can't get it on 3DS if you already own/buy the Wii U build. Also, it'll be for Europe only, even if they tried to make it work worldwide.
That is quite odd, but it's better than not having it so I appreciate the offer and the possibility for other cross-buy offers in the future

Weetrick

I don't understand why people feel entitled to get both versions of shovel knight. I don't feel that's fair to the devs at all.

I don't feel entitled but it would be nice considering competitors offer this feature. Most people won't pay twice for the same game, so I wonder how many sales it would actually cost them. I'm not a developer so excuse my ignorance.

sörine;118888358 said:
Given the later EU release it'd also be a really nice gesture on the part of YCG if they did this for Shovel Knight in the region. It might piss off some backers who already bought across 3DS and Wii U but on the whole I think there'd be at least some sense of benefit for the delay. I also wonder if older titles like 1001 Spikes, MSF2 or Mutant Mudds can institute it now?
That would require the Wii U to come out in Europe (developer has written it off) and given how many problems the developer has with the extensive rating processes over here doing it for most of your sales being £0 is just not going to work out (plus Mutant Mudds did not do great here).

Eusis

Really hope they retroactively apply this to some games. Or at least a VC-style fee, I'd be OK buying my NES favorites for $1 on 3DS but not when 99% of those that show up on VC are on Wii or Wii U already (the 1% are weird ones like Adventure Island 2. And that may be more nostalgia than REALLY being a great.)

MilesTeg

Banned
Really hope they retroactively apply this to some games. Or at least a VC-style fee, I'd be OK buying my NES favorites for $1 on 3DS but not when 99% of those that show up on VC are on Wii or Wii U already (the 1% are weird ones like Adventure Island 2. And that may be more nostalgia than REALLY being a great.)

If they do that they would have to refund everyone who bought a duplicate game. I imagine it isn't many though, and it is certainly within Nintendo's capability to do so. I remember when everyone who bought the internet browser on Wii got a $5 credit when they made it free.

If People are selling their Wii U without unlinking their NNID first then that's their fault.

Regardless, Nintendo needs to meet industry standard and allow paid content to migrate seamlessly across compatible systems and not be tied to hardware- the current approach is asinine and archaic, and this isn't one of those times when going against the tide is a good thing.

NOA shitting the bed again. I'm not too excited about this because I think we'll only see it in rare circumstances. Would love to see it happen with vc titles but I seriously doubt it will.

I buy a lot of VC games on 3DS and Wii U, but I've been careful not to double-dip on any NES games with the hope that Nintendo would eventually implement cross-buy for those games. I'm confident that they will enable cross-buy for VC games across their home console and handheld systems eventually, but I'm starting to think we may not see it until the next set of hardware.

moozoom

Squidds is actually a pretty great little strategy game too. I wonder if this will work similarly in the US, only in reverse.

I have the Wii U version and would like the 3DS version free.

I also bought the Wii U version, and for now it doesn't seem the 3DS game will be free... or will it ? I hope. I should've waited...

I'm afraid I don't understand why NoA wouldn't be down for a promo like this..

“could not support this operation yet”

Wha..what is that even supposed to mean?
I mean, deep down my hope is that there's something coming in the future for cross buy and they don't just want things popping up here or there for it but dang it this is dumb.
It's like..we're so close. We're almost there to cross buy on Nintendo platforms. Its literally something that everyone has been clamoring for since like..ever.

goldenpp72

Good, now please make my VC purchases on one playable on the other, thanks. Though I bought Pushmo World before any of the others, sucks it would't be in reverse too.

Mariolee

Very nice !!!

...wait what ? They dont have many games that are on WiiU and 3DS - they only titles would be Virtual Console games and they wont introduce Cross-Buy there this generation, because it would piss off the customer who already double dipped for games like SMB3.

They could always just offer back instore credit.

bumpkin

Shovel Knight! I had a lot of trouble deciding between WiiU and 3DS - I ended up with 3DS but would love to try out WiiU someday. I'm all for supporting great developers but I don't want to buy the same thing twice!
I'm still making that decision right now. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Wii U because of the DDP points.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Aww SWEET! This means I can buy SMB3 on 3DS and get it on Wi-

How-i-met-your-mother-barney-why.gif

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
No way, this is one case that I feel the dude deserves every penny he gets. Double dip for the good of the awesome developer. :)

Double? Pffft, I have bought three copies already :p

No, can you explain why you think it would be a joke post? :/

I think the idea of cross buy for something like Smash doesn't really work right since both versions are pretty different from each other.

Something however like an eshop title or even VC titles would be make much more sense since generally they're similar and play similar.

I think the idea of cross buy for something like Smash doesn't really work right since both versions are pretty different from each other.

Something however like an eshop title or even VC titles would be make much more sense since generally they're similar and play similar.

I just realized that SSB has different versions on Wii U and 3DS, makes sense. Thanks!

Weetrick

No, can you explain why you think it would be a joke post? :/

Because it's been discussed (and discredited) in this thread already.

Why would Nintendo give away a free copy of their biggest release of the year? Plus, WiiU and 3DS Smash are different games, with different modes and levels - unlike SMB 3 on the Wii/WiiU/3DS virtual console.

I'm afraid I don't understand why NoA wouldn't be down for a promo like this..

“could not support this operation yet”

Gotta read between the lines on this; look at the fact that it doesn't work in both directions in the European release, and the fact that they call this "conditional purchase" instead of something more similar to cross-buy.

Assuredly what's happening here is that Nintendo doesn't actually have a single store system with a concept of products and entitlements; they have two separate systems for 3DS and Wii U, which are only linked to a shared identity provider (the NNID).
The way this is probably implemented, the 3DS system sends a message to the Wii U system (that they probably had to set up manually) after a purchase and tells it to add an item to the user's download history.

It probably doesn't work the other way (Wii U -> 3DS) because the 3DS system is older and isn't set up to capture triggers the same way. It probably doesn't work in the US because they're running on a completely different version of the store infrastructure and it hasn't been updated with the conditional

SmokeMaxX

Neither of the three has done it, no? Because of the different currencies/price differences, different versions of games (US/EU/JP). Even if (the three) allowed gifting, there would be a lot of restrictions. I dont think anyone is going to be happy.

Even Steam is restricting gifting from certain regions and/or allows publishers to flag certain games.
There wouldn't be an issue because codes from one region won't work on accounts from another region so you don't run into the problem you're describing.

RiggyRob

Gotta read between the lines on this; look at the fact that it doesn't work in both directions in the European release, and the fact that they call this "conditional purchase" instead of something more similar to cross-buy.

Assuredly what's happening here is that Nintendo doesn't actually have a single store system with a concept of products and entitlements; they have two separate systems for 3DS and Wii U, which are only linked to a shared identity provider (the NNID).
The way this is probably implemented, the 3DS system sends a message to the Wii U system (that they probably had to set up manually) after a purchase and tells it to add an item to the user's download history.

It probably doesn't work the other way (Wii U -> 3DS) because the 3DS system is older and isn't set up to capture triggers the same way. It probably doesn't work in the US because they're running on a completely different version of the store infrastructure and it hasn't been updated with the conditional

This. The more you look at it, the more it seems the 3DS is the thing holding Nintendo back from cross-buy Virtual Console games, especially considering the trouble it has with the Ambassador games. Miiverse and Nintendo Network IDs were afterthoughts on it, the lack of space for DSi-Ware games etc.

You're probably 100% right, but now the problem is, I see this happening in Europe and I'm now not inclined to buy the game in America because I'm missing out on it's console brother version.

On the flip side, deals happen all the time in one region and not another; even excluding just video games.

Kiote

One more step in the right direction. I really am quite impress with how fast Nintendo is turning around their Online Account Structure.

They should really make this work in both directions though.

Neoxon

I don't think that Smash will be crossbuy at all. They are two different games, in terms of contents and engines, and assets, and so on. I can see a cross-promotion tough, considering that they already did great cross(game/platfrom) promotions for digital purchase recently (the W101 30% off with Pikmin, the Free game with MK8, the Pushmo World discount). Maybe in Smash DLC characters could be cross-buy, even if the games aren't?
I said character DLC, not the actual game.

May i see Sal Romano new?
The basic summary of the recent leak that came out before E3 2014 is that Lucas will probably be cut & that the game will get character DLC. I'll post a link once I find the source.

UPDATE: Found it

You're probably 100% right, but now the problem is, I see this happening in Europe and I'm now not inclined to buy the game in America because I'm missing out on it's console brother version.

Oh, believe me, I think this is pretty terrible handling on Nintendo's (and especially NOA's) part, and the lack of forward-compatibility and cross-buy has cost them a ton of VC purchases from me. It just makes sense to me how they could wind up in this spot.

Top Bottom