• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crossing China - A positive China topic (56k warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

I feel like I haven't seen much positivity from GAF in general; but I also feel like that's likely because a lot of topics about China tend to involve the Chinese government, which is often at odds with Western values.

Not taking a side on that one, but just saying that I don't think I've seen a topic about non 'big-issue' China in some time.

Pictures are awesome, by the way. I don't have much interest in visiting China, but gotta admit that you definitely piqued what little bit there was.

Ugh you just haven't looked at the small things. For example, we still get random shit posts about that Chinese Star Wars poster dog whistling at how racist Chinese are. Never mind that it's a flagship movie from an American company. Like a random marketing person in China working for Disney called the shot instead of some white dude did.

I tend to see lots of negative topics or offhanded comments about Chinese people or even worse, dreaded "mainlanders."

Pretty much this.

vern

I went to China with my wife for our Chinese wedding stuff and fell in love with the place. I don't believe in "energy" or anything spiritual, but there is some sort of pulse that runs through every place that is undeniable. If someone gave me a ticket i'd be back in a heartbeat.

As for the negative China sentiment, I think it's more that some of China's actions on the world stage are seen in a different perspective due to their power. The 9-Dash line for example seems like a joke when you look at the huge swath of water it occupies, but Chinese people are fierce believers in it, not the least of which is due to historical use, but also due to the indoctrination they are subject to on all things national. Nothing is simple in China, and some people may boil things down a bit too far on occasion.

For sure nothing is simple about China, it's a complex place. But a lot of comments and topics on GAF boil down to "look how shitty Chinese people are," I just wanted to give a bit of a more personal perspective.

I guess since you have a Chinese wife you'll be back again. How was the wedding? Get shitfaced on baijiu and rich with hongbao? Must have been fun.

Sorry for bumping a relatively old thread but thank you for posting this OP. I arrived in China nearly three weeks ago, staying here a year for work and it's my first time ever having left my native Scotland. What you say about the Chinese people is absolutely spot on. They are the warmest, most welcoming people I have ever met in my life, and it's absolutely safe here as I can tell from my limited experience so far anyway. I'm in the city of Qingdao, Shangdong province and it's been the most wonderful experience of my life. Being Scottish I like to pop into a good bar after work for a couple of drinks and 90% of the time I've been invited to the table of some locals to drink with them and exchanged contact details to make new friends. The almost barbaric picture that's painted of modern Chinese people by western media has proven (in my limited experience) to be mostly false and I honestly love it here.

Though I'm not as seasoned as you in living here I definitely see where you're coming from and wish the people of China themselves got as much of a spotlight as their government shenanigans.

Zaph

i wanna party with this dude

0XlOJAk.jpg

vern

Oh and yes, baijiu is more hard hitting than anything I've drank. Only 12 fucking yuan for a bottle as well. Crazy shit. It's become my last night of the week ritual to drink a bottle of the stuff.

Lol... I try to avoid it as much as possible. Seems you'd get on well with sassimirobot.

i wanna party with this dude

Me too. He just mimicked everything I said though.

Yeah, I've had the pleasure of knowing about this trip since day one. More people need to see this.

Thanks man! Always appreciate it. Got my second "episode" coming soon on YouTube ... Been so damn busy with other things this trip and finishing up writing about it and editing videos has been on the back burner.

Sorry for bumping a relatively old thread but thank you for posting this OP. I arrived in China nearly three weeks ago, staying here a year for work and it's my first time ever having left my native Scotland. What you say about the Chinese people is absolutely spot on. They are the warmest, most welcoming people I have ever met in my life, and it's absolutely safe here as I can tell from my limited experience so far anyway. I'm in the city of Qingdao, Shangdong province and it's been the most wonderful experience of my life. Being Scottish I like to pop into a good bar after work for a couple of drinks and 90% of the time I've been invited to the table of some locals to drink with them and exchanged contact details to make new friends. The almost barbaric picture that's painted of modern Chinese people by western media has proven (in my limited experience) to be mostly false and I honestly love it here.

Though I'm not as seasoned as you in living here I definitely see where you're coming from and wish the people of China themselves got as much of a spotlight as their government shenanigans.

Woah cool to see it bumped and glad you are having an awesome experience in China so far. I've unfortunately never been to Qingdao but I hope to remedy that relatively soon. I'll be back in China again in about a week and I can't wait... Been in Nepal for a month doing some photography and chilling, but so ready to be back in China. Join us in the China GAF OT sometime, there are a few people up there in Dongbei and most people in the GAF China crew are pretty cool.

Chinese people will almost always invite you to their table or ktv room or whatever... Super welcoming, glad it's like that up there where you are too.

Lol... I try to avoid it as much as possible. Seems you'd get on well with sassimirobot.

Me too. He just mimicked everything I said though.

Thanks man! Always appreciate it. Got my second "episode" coming soon on YouTube ... Been so damn busy with other things this trip and finishing up writing about it and editing videos has been on the back burner.

Woah cool to see it bumped and glad you are having an awesome experience in China so far. I've unfortunately never been to Qingdao but I hope to remedy that relatively soon. I'll be back in China again in about a week and I can't wait... Been in Nepal for a month doing some photography and chilling, but so ready to be back in China. Join us in the China GAF OT sometime, there are a few people up there in Dongbei and most people in the GAF China crew are pretty cool.

Chinese people will almost always invite you to their table or ktv room or whatever... Super welcoming, glad it's like that up there where you are too.

Fucking hell that was a quick reply. But yes life in China has been a challenge so far, but an absolutely amazing one. I'm not in Qingdao proper though (as in the famous German occupied bit) I'm in Jimo which is closer to contemporary China than the tourist hotspot of Qingdao (or Tsintao if you go by the piiju) is apparently. Won tickets to the beer festival on the plane over as well but didn't have the time or language knowledge to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom