• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Do you guys use an app to keep track of what you buy, how much you bought it for, and the current price? I use an app called Coinbuddy to monitor current prices but it doesn't calculate how much a coin has risen or fallen compared to what I bought it at.

Megauap

Do you guys use an app to keep track of what you buy, how much you bought it for, and the current price? I use an app called Coinbuddy to monitor current prices but it doesn't calculate how much a coin has risen or fallen compared to what I bought it at.

I use Blockfolio and I like it.
Try it and see if if you like it too.

Tk0n

Blockfolio Is pretty good for that. Even though it seems that its db of btc prices isnt that accurate. So if you have big fluctuations in btc price over the day you bought, it isnt exact down to the penny. But it works reasonably well.

Yeah, Blockfolio is really good.

Crispy

Blockfolio is great! You can keep track of your holdings, profit/loss and set alarms for pricejumps. Much faster than checking everything on exchanges all the time.

Cipherr

I can't get ARK back to $3.70 so I can sell it for a respectable profit so I traded it during the day today and sold my hold in it early at just shy of $3.40 and rebought at $2.95. That added a little over 12 ARK to my holdings of it. If I can't make it hit the price I want to sell my small holdings then I'll use its annoying price movement during the days to achieve the same thing.

It has obviously paid off, but it seems pure gambling to me to keep 30% of your stack on a Chinese coin right now, in particular a new one.

WTC has a good team and is underpriced now for what it is IMO. I literally watched it at 1.25~ and didnt buy because of China. I think that if China blows over without them going haywire on all Crypto that NEO, BNB and WTC are all going to spike up to their true potential costs, and with that natural pump FOMO will drive them that much further up.

I wish I was brave enough to buy into WTC back when it was a buck and some change, but the risk was just to high. Any day now China could drop some news and send all those coins to dust while the U.S. is sleeping.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I spent all day yesterday at hospital, my knee surgery went well, but surgeon confirmed that I have more serious issue - cracked and worn joint cartilage... but I can walk without any support, only using a stick for better feeling, so I was able to go home on the same day.

It really looks like ARK's price is being manipulated to stay around 3 dollars.

Without any doubt

Tk0n

WTC riding on FOMO wave? Tempting but probably to late to hop on before it dips.

yeah, its crazy. im thinking about selling mine. but everytime i think "now it wont go further" it starts pumping again and jumps another 20%.
dont really know where to exit.

maybe i just ride the correction out. only have a few waltons anyway and i would only sell to rebuy more lower.

but youre right, i thinks its a bit late to hop on. wtc had some vile swings not to long ago. i wouldnt be too surprised if its going to correct heavily.
who knows... if they, for instance, announce to be on another big exchange, it could just continue pumping.

gaming_noob

Is BTC really going to go up to 25,000-100,000 per coin in 3 years like some analysts predict even with all these forks? If so I think I will take my profits next year and leave them in BTC. It seems like it's the safest bet for making money.

DonMigs85

Is BTC really going to go up to 25,000-100,000 per coin in 3 years like some analysts predict even with all these forks? If so I think I will take my profits next year and leave them in BTC. It seems like it's the safest bet for making money.
Yeah I also have a little insurance investment plan of around $5K that I want to transfer to BTC next year. But all these forks do frighten me, I dunno if there's enough mining power to go around.

Tk0n

if you look at the trend, its not out of the question.
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/

if btc can defend its position in top, i have no doubt that it will be 25.000k at some point. i would go as far as john mcaffee and say thats 1 btc will be worth half a million in 3 years or so. nobody can predict the future and crypto is moving fast.
3 months ago everybody thought its just a question of time untill eth is the leader.
i think, btc as a payment solution is crap. there is a hundred coins suited better for that. so btc gets its right to exist from all the alts being traded against it and from being traded itself. im not sure if btc will reign supreme forever.

DKF590

LINK just got added to Binance. Pretty sad that I sold off most of my WTC a bit too early and missed some profits, but luckily made some decent profit off LINK already so far.

Bought in at etherdelta at about half the current price. Really curious where it ends up as most of the hype so far has been centralized at a few places and hasn't really blown up yet. Probably mostly due to the fact that using etherdelta is a pain.

I got in to Ethereum early 2016 and have been really contemplating pulling 70-90% of my remaining tokens out as its beginning to become a bit stressful. Already have pulled my original investment + more. Probably going to pull most of it out and just keep a mix of ETH/OMG/KNC for the long haul.

Luschient

I got in to Ethereum early 2016 and have been really contemplating pulling 70-90% of my remaining tokens out as its beginning to become a bit stressful.

I've been toying with the idea of selling all my ETH, would make a nice profit (nothing crazy) and putting that $$ into BTC.

My hope for ETH would be for it to be at least half of what BTC is currently but it doesn't look like that's a remote possibility, at least in the near term.

Donos

Fuck. Kill me. I shouldn't have sold WTC. Jesus. Bought in at a damn $1.10 per coin. I would be selling so fast right now at $6.

Hate myself.

You can't really predict most of these miracle gains. Either you get lucky and had the coin in the bag or instantly hopped on the train.

Still think that this is going to dip hard. Don't see it floating and marching on, like ETH or ANS/NEO did.

You can't really predict most of these miracle gains. Either you get lucky and had the coin in the bag or instantly hopped on the train.

Still think that this is going to dip hard. Don't see it floating and marching on, like ETH or ANS/NEO did.
I would sell it so damn fast right now. Of course it is going to crash to hell. Coin has no big future imo.

Donos

Authorship (ATS) is only on EtherDelta so far (they promised that more exchanges are going to list it but they can't say the names). It shortly doubled in worth after the release but now completely crashed into the abyss (-70%).
Since i didn't payed anything for the tokens, i don't mind although i like the system behind the token (Book publishing). They need a new exchange since not even coinmarketcap.com has them listed.

Donos

That f**** IOTA rise right after i change 500€ of it to another coin.... well. -_- ;_;
That's why i usually don't touch the coins i want to hold long and instead just add fiat to get other stuff or stack up..

Ah, it's on Binance now. What a bad timing from me ....

Brandson

Not sure about the timeframe, but the future does look up overall for Bitcoin. It will probably look something like this: 4k, 7k, 4k, 9k, 5k, 12k, 6k, 15k, etc., with maybe a sub-1k thrown in there somewhere. Taking profits after a huge runup and sitting out to watch for a little while to buy back in, if desired, is not necessarily a bad strategy for BTC. You might miss some max profits, but you also won't lose everything. Or you could just hold through all the turmoil, and you can guarantee that there will be more turmoil to come between now and $25k.

Donos

And with every big landmark (esp. 10k) the attention from mainstream is going to rise. Also the whish of regulations from governments, so i'm not sure if BTC can march to something like 20k, 30k without getting "attacked" in the next 5 - 10 years.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

I can honestly see Bitcoin getting that high within the next decade. My plan is to wait for the supposed hard fork in November and jump in. Whether the fork happens or not doesn't matter because cryptopians react to any piece of news surrounding this market aggressively. Then I'll move it to the Coinbase BTC Vault and leave it alone until I can park yachts wherever.

Brandson

And with every big landmark (esp. 10k) the attention from mainstream is going to rise. Also the whish of regulations from governments, so i'm not sure if BTC can march to something like 20k, 30k without getting "attacked" in the next 5 - 10 years.

Exactly. Bitcoin also has a lot of infighting, and the whole mystery behind Tether funding will have an impact at some point. I feel that the chances of a self-inflicted wound derailing Bitcoin's success are perhaps even higher than the risk of harm from government regulations.

Sulik2

The sell walls messing with the value of a coin that is a better product then the majority of the garbage coins on these exchanges is infuriating when it comes to ARK. They need ARK on some more exchanges so whales can't as easily manipulate the price.

Donos

Exactly. Bitcoin also has a lot of infighting, and the whole mystery behind Tether funding will have an impact at some point. I feel that the chances of a self-inflicted wound derailing Bitcoin's success are perhaps even higher than the risk of harm from government regulations.

I keep forgetting that tether mystery. Maybe nobody really wants to know the truth because it could lead to a brutal market crash.

Brandson

I keep forgetting that tether mystery. Maybe nobody really wants to know the truth because it could lead to a brutal market crash.

Worst case scenario: Tethers are literally nothing in every sense of the word, backed by nothing.

Best case scenario: Tether has engaged in shady, borderline-illegal financing, but at the very least has some actual fiat money they have access to to back up the Tethers.

If there is ever a rush to convert Bitcoin to USD, it will be a big deal when people realize there is not enough fiat in the system to support the price, and the value of 1 USDT becomes 0 USD. The whole crypto market would likely be in the dumps for a year or more at that time. A major investigation might not happen until then.

Edit: FYI, you can see when Tether creates new USDT for itself here: http://omnichest.info/lookupadd.aspx?address=3MbYQMMmSkC3AgWkj9FMo5LsPTW1zBTwXL. As others have pointed out, the market has a tendency to overall go up shortly after every issuance of more Tethers. The last creation event was 25 million USDT on September 14. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but it appears as though they can create them whenever they want.

I can honestly see Bitcoin getting that high within the next decade. My plan is to wait for the supposed hard fork in November and jump in. Whether the fork happens or not doesn't matter because cryptopians react to any piece of news surrounding this market aggressively. Then I'll move it to the Coinbase BTC Vault and leave it alone until I can park yachts wherever.

25k+ per bitcoin might seem crazy right now, but 4k or more seemed absolutely bonkers a few years ago. "It would need a market cap (kinda meaningless anyway as a measurement really) 60 billion. It´s only 12 billion now!" And yet here we are.

I´ll put ~300€ every month into cryptos from december on for the next 2-3 years. And only cash out if i can buy a house and quit my job and live comfortably from then on. Will be replaced by a robot in a decade anyway, so gotta do something to get some cash.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The sell walls messing with the value of a coin that is a better product then the majority of the garbage coins on these exchanges is infuriating when it comes to ARK. They need ARK on some more exchanges so whales can't as easily manipulate the price.

Agreed. I think, without the manipulation, it'd be at OMG prices or even higher. Not sure what can be done right now though. I just buy and hold.

syllogism

I'm not convinced that the price is down just due to manipulation. It's likely that Ark will be one of the currencies available on the new Korean exchange UPBit next month, so I guess we'll see then.

Donos

Worst case scenario: ...
Best case scenario: ...
Edit: FYI, you can see when Tether creates new USDT for itself here:
That's really scary and that's also why i'm going to contantly going to cash out after good gains. Better have something than loose 70% or more of everything accumulated over years.

Brandson

That's really scary and that's also why i'm going to contantly going to cash out after good gains. Better have something than loose 70% or more of everything accumulated over years.

Same here. I didn't do this at first, but am going to start cashing out all of my crypto holdings on the next big Bitcoin pump somewhere in the $6-8k range, whenever I feel it is sufficiently overcooked again, then wait a month or so and decide whether I want to get back in. The chances of a run from $4k to $10k+ without a major correction are near-zero.

Top Bottom