• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

DonMigs85

So let's say I only want to play with ~$300 right now. Do I buy 6 Litecoins or 1 ETH and 1 Lite?

Might wanna start with a lower-priced coin that has potential to shoot up in a few years, like ARK, RLC, or GNT. Maybe ANS or STRAT. Or you could risk buying 500 Tezos, which is around $260

Coinbase is pretty straightforward and easy to use, especially for small quantities, if their new user verification works for you. I bought my first ETH from them at $60, but their verification wouldn't work for me, so I could only buy $100 worth.

Once you're registered with Coinbase, you can also trade with their exchange site, GDAX, which has lower trading fees.

If Coinbase/GDAX doesn't work, try Gemini or Kraken next.

Coinbase required me to identify myself with one id, when I tried to go to gdax, it wanted to identify myself with yet another id

So let's say I only want to play with ~$300 right now. Do I buy 6 Litecoins or 1 ETH and 1 Lite?

If you're on Coinbase, you should take note what their fees are. For example, Litecoin is currently 43,49 eur and coinbase app says purchase fee is for one ltc is 1,99 eur. ETH is currently selling for 231.86 eur and sell fees for one ETH is 3,45 EUR.

PolishQ

Might wanna start with a lower-priced coin that has potential to shoot up in a few years, like ARK, RLC, or GNT. Maybe ANS or STRAT. Or you could risk buying 500 Tezos, which is around $260

Tezos can't be bought with USD directly, right? Looks like I would need to get some ETH or BTC and pay with those?

Donos

If you want to stock up on Siacoin, probably a good moment right now. Thinking about moving my 100 € in ARK to SC.

Chumley

Banned
ETH keeps testing $250. Fifth time now. I still can't decide if I should sell or not but with how frequently this is happening, I might just pull the fuck out at the end of this bounce. It feels like we're headed towards the $100 range in a month after how insane that rapid increase was last month.

edit: I pulled out at $254, and now it's at $247. I made the right decision, ETH is going to hit $100 before we see it return to where it once was.

I'm kind of frustrated with Bittrex. I just got back from Peru. I had a buy order set if Siacoin dropped to 540 (yes I'm ignoring the numerous 0's for simplicity) at one point. I cancelled that order as I saw the market shift happening. Two days later, it still went through. Now I was able to buy many more Siacoin as I had taken profit at like 780 and bought originally at 440. But I could have bought way more with my profits now. Do limit but orders usually not cancel immediately? Is there a several day waiting period or something before it actually clears?

ETH keeps testing $250. Fifth time now. I still can't decide if I should sell or not but with how frequently this is happening, I might just pull the fuck out at the end of this bounce. It feels like we're headed towards the $100 range in a month after how insane that rapid increase was last month.

edit: I pulled out at $254, and now it's at $247. I made the right decision, ETH is going to hit $100 before we see it return to where it once was.
Its daily momentum was reversed on June 21st and it hasn't recovered since:

Eth nearing a decision point. Its momentum has stalled, It'll possible break, down or up:

All the price hikes since then have been temporary, caused by ICOs I'd assume. Its next supports are $150 (chart pattern), $90 and $60 (price volume); with a chance to bounce back at ~$230. It's taking down almost everything but bitcoin, interesting to watch

IOT is below 30¢, hasn't been this low since added to Bitfinex.
Its market cap was mightily bloated since day 1st of exchange. It's not worth even $0.10, maybe $0.01? Its ICO was for 500 BTC IIRC, and then wasn't publicly traded until its market cap suddenly increased to ~500,000 BTC when it went public. It's one of those coins that will crash heavily.

Donos

Have 30 € in IOT but never cared about it again. Stocked up on Siacoin now since i still think it's promising longterm and Sia is already using a product, compared to other coins.
Reduced my ETH a while ago but going to hold my last ETH coin ... :) . Let's see if walking fiend is right.

Holy shit at the hassle with Poloniex and getting my 2FA sorted with the support (sent my phone in to repair and swiped it, not having the backup code for the 2FA google authenticator ).

Brandson

The fundamental premise of TA is that price of an asset reflects everything associated with it. Whatever the buyers know, whoever are the buyers, whatever is the method of the ICO, all of that eventually is only reflected in the price of the asset. My previous post should actually be a good example. A chart pattern formed like that is not random, and since then EOS has certainly broken out of its downward trend and has been continuously moving up.

This then assumes that the buyers fully understand what they're buying. I would say the opposite is more true in crypto, especially for a coin that just had, or continues to have, its ICO. Over time, more EOS holders will understand what it is, what it isn't, and how many EOS tokens there will be. At that point, TA might be more accurate at extrapolations for that coin, but it's a big risk to trade solely on that analysis right now.

The market is in big time red. So annoyed with Gemini, deposited money over the past weekend and it still hasn't cleared for some BTC......today is a good buying day.

Chumley

Banned
The market is in big time red. So annoyed with Gemini, deposited money over the past weekend and it still hasn't cleared for some BTC......today is a good buying day.

We're on a very clear downward trend for over a month now and nothing in sight that would give it reason to reverse. Might want to hold off on buying until it bottoms out even lower.

There´s really no reason to stress over buying right now because it´s "cheap" now. It´s cheap compared to the all time highs, but pretty much everything is still like 1000% or more up from half a year ago.

Don´t fret and if you want to buy coins, i´d recommend buying over time. Don´t put all your money you want to invest into coins at once. Spread that shit.

We're on a very clear downward trend for over a month now and nothing in sight that would give it reason to reverse. Might want to hold off on buying until it bottoms out even lower.

There´s really no reason to stress over buying right now because it´s "cheap" now. It´s cheap compared to the all time highs, but pretty much everything is still like 1000% or more up from half a year ago.

Don´t fret and if you want to buy coins, i´d recommend buying over time. Don´t put all your money you want to invest into coins at once. Spread that shit.

Yeah. I want to get some more Strat and ANS, it's looking like both might be going a bit lower. Just stinks that my funds haven't cleared since I don't want to lose out on a low.

I probably should have cashed out my Eth, some charts are showing we could get back down to the $100 mark which would be a good time to pickup some more with the profit.

Brandson

Decided to get out of ETH on a recent upswing for now. Having looked at the ETH reserves left in the EOS and Tezos wallets, I agree that it will be giving USD$200 a thorough testing soon, and possibly $180 and $150 as well. I will get back in after seeing what happens with those stockpiles, and if buy volume materializes or not. If there are any upswings in the meantime, so be it. The risk of further collapse is too great for me right now.

DonMigs85

Wow.. I wonder how many other people have done that off of crypto..

Ahh, well.. Golem's really dropped. I like the idea of GNT so I might put a little bit into it
Problem is RLC appears to do a lot of the same thing and is based in France rather than Poland. I'm torn between them

Brandson

I've lost quite a bit due to Sia and ARK dropping - wonder if I should sell and just buy 500 Tezzies

Up to you but a few thoughts on Tezos: Tezzies don't exist yet so trying to trade keys manually with someone is a huge risk, and buying during the ICO won't net you the max bonus amount anymore.

A less risky strategy, amazingly, would probably be to get some Antshares during a downswing.

DonMigs85

Up to you but a few thoughts on Tezos: Tezzies don't exist yet so trying to trade keys manually with someone is a huge risk, and buying during the ICO won't net you the max bonus amount anymore.

A less risky strategy, amazingly, would probably be to get some Antshares during a downswing.
Yeah maybe I should wait for Tezzies to actually show up on an exchange first. There's probably a good chance they might hit at least $5 by next year right? Antshares went from 20 cents to over $8 in a span of two months.

Prologue

I was seriously considering dropping 10k on eth, in hopes things would rise even more by end of the year.

But it just keeps dropping

I've lost quite a bit due to Sia and ARK dropping - wonder if I should sell and just buy 500 Tezzies

I lost a bit on Sia initially, when it went back up a little bit a few weeks ago I sold so the damage wasn't as bad. I still think that ANS is going to be huge, and with this bloodbath the last few days before the weekend it hasn't dropped that much out of most of the alt coins.

DonMigs85

I lost a bit on Sia initially, when it went back up a little bit a few weeks ago I sold so the damage wasn't as bad. I still think that ANS is going to be huge, and with this bloodbath the last few days before the weekend it hasn't dropped that much out of most of the alt coins.
Sure wish I bought ANS back in April

Sure wish I bought ANS back in April

That makes two of us. I think even buying now is not a bad price. I got lucky a few weeks back when we had the first initial huge drop where I was able to get a bunch at $5. I'm waiting for money from last Sunday to still clear through Gemini so I can get some more ANS. I keep reading and hoping when it changes to NEO that it does help a lot to get the price back up, but I do like the little ant branding. LOL!

DonMigs85

That makes two of us. I think even buying now is not a bad price. I got lucky a few weeks back when we had the first initial huge drop where I was able to get a bunch at $5. I'm waiting for money from last Sunday to still clear through Gemini so I can get some more ANS. I keep reading and hoping when it changes to NEO that it does help a lot to get the price back up, but I do like the little ant branding. LOL!

You think it's possible that Tezos could at least be as successful as Stratis and maybe hit at least $5 by next year?

x3sphere

I was seriously considering dropping 10k on eth, in hopes things would rise even more by end of the year.

But it just keeps dropping

Probably a huge move coming soon. Volume has been really low lately and it won't stay like this for long. Right now could be a good buying opportunity, but it's probably safer to wait for confirmation of a direction with volume then buy.

BTC fork (Aug 1) is also getting closer. My hunch is that the big money is staying on the sidelines for now until it happens. I expect the fork to be a non event for the most part and crypto prices across the board will go up probably, but who knows

Brandson

The lack of volume on ETH makes it hard to read but the threat of around half a million ETH being liquidated by Tezos and EOS shortly is still looming. The 40 ETH buy or sell bot every 30 seconds on GDAX is still trying to cause swings one way or the other on a daily basis too. Watching for that can sometimes predict some short term movement.

Ethereum continues to get written about in more and more mainstream publications as well. It's only a matter of time before that has an effect too. Weighing all that at once, plus other factors like Bitcoin's price movement influence, and what TA indicates, is making ETH's next big movement hard to predict.

Brandson

You think it's possible that Tezos could at least be as successful as Stratis and maybe hit at least $5 by next year?

If the Tezos people do what they say, and they launch their blockchain in a few months, XTZ will become tradeable on exchanges then. If that happens, and Tezos doesn't just take their money and retire first, the price will initially pump, but then probably settle down to under the ICO price after a few months as the ICO gamblers lose interest. It may be worth buying around October/November. If it continues to have an inflated price all year, I plan to avoid it. Ethereum could try to implement all of Tezos' ideas though so while Tezos could be a cool system eventually, it might still not be worth buying. It is worth watching its development progress though for sure.

DonMigs85

If the Tezos people do what they say, and they launch their blockchain in a few months, XTZ will become tradeable on exchanges then. If that happens, and Tezos doesn't just take their money and retire first, the price will initially pump, but then probably settle down to under the ICO price after a few months as the ICO gamblers lose interest. It may be worth buying around October/November. If it continues to have an inflated price all year, I plan to avoid it. Ethereum could try to implement all of Tezos' ideas though so while Tezos could be a cool system eventually, it might still not be worth buying. It is worth watching its development progress though for sure.
Last year I don't think Stratis had this much mindshare and look where it's at now, trailing ANS.

It's funny that right after ETH started getting regular mentions in big publications, the price crashed, slightly recovered, and then we've been in a bear market ever since. It's still getting regular press and the price is still sinking. The weeks before that the price was sky high and none of the big papers were writing about it.

Brandson

It's funny that right after ETH started getting regular mentions in big publications, the price crashed, slightly recovered, and then we've been in a bear market ever since. It's still getting regular press and the price is still sinking. The weeks before that the price was sky high and none of the big papers were writing about it.

The average person would appreciate an easier and less suspicious way to buy crypto. If you could just buy ETH through your broker, there would be a lot more buyers I think. You have to take quite a leap of faith dealing with even the best crypto exchanges right now.

Chumley

Banned
Probably a huge move coming soon. Volume has been really low lately and it won't stay like this for long. Right now could be a good buying opportunity, but it's probably safer to wait for confirmation of a direction with volume then buy.

BTC fork (Aug 1) is also getting closer. My hunch is that the big money is staying on the sidelines for now until it happens. I expect the fork to be a non event for the most part and crypto prices across the board will go up probably, but who knows

I think ETH is headed for fucksville before it has any chance at recovering. People have been saying at every major loss that ETH can't go any lower, and it does. The delusional ethtrader subreddit was saying for ages that 250 support is do or die, and now they're trying to backpedal and say 220 is the REAL do or die line.

It suffered because of all of the popularity while still being way too early for big company investments to even be coming in yet. Its future is good, but we could be talking a year until it sees 400 again.

Brandson

Tezos has some big VC billionaire backing it right? Surely they won't just abscond with the money, he would lose face.

Probably not but that investor makes out great from the ICO alone, from what I read. He would make more if the price skyrockets, but he wins anyway. He didn't invest for the benefit of other people. It's not clear how much he really cares whether Tezos really delivers or not.

I want to buy some Stratis and Golem to diversify my portfolio a little. But it's looking like I might want to wait a little longer. Everything is on a steep slide still.

Let's see if I can read this chart right:
on tradingview, coinbase ltceur with moving average 50 and moving average 200 with 5 day interval

Ma 50 is about to go under MA 200 which means the price is on a downward trend, however MA 200 is increasing so it might bounce up again?

Top Bottom