• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

The buy books on ETH are really thin. If Bitcoin does some profit taking to, say, 2450, which would still be way up on the day, ETH is heading back to 200. I think there's a much better chance of that than Bitcoin hitting 3000 today. As always, I could be completely wrong. I don't think ETH has fully felt the damage from the hacking news yet either.
Let's try that out; I put a $30 margin sell order @2,660.8, with a stop order @2,690 lol

BTC is nearing $2700, talk about insane if it breaks it's ATH here soon enough and I was just on another site, seems like BIP91 is about to get announced as a success.
Looking at the volume, it seems possible. There might be some people who expected it to happen and thus bought so much BTC that it drove the price up, in anticipation of a even a larger price surge

I wonder how that will affect other coins; on the one hand it increases overall crypto cash flow, but then it also fortifies BTCs position as the de facto market leader even further, making the alt-coins less relevant

Are you holding any ETH yet? It might go up a bit more once BIP91 is accepted, but I'm worried about another painful correction shortly thereafter, as in within hours.
Not, really; all I am holding is a small long BTC position I created a long time ago, which I am holding as investment just in case BTC breaks through 10,000 in 5 years or so haha

I've been trading back and forth sold my ETH at the peak the other day and then BTC started to skyrocket which is where all my funds currently are. So that's nice lol. What is the reason though. Why is BTC rising whole others are still falling?

I really need to get off Bittrex into a place that BTC isn't the base currency though. I need to be on Kraken where it will go to a fit currency when I sell and BTC is just another tradeable.

Have you guys done any Bank Wire transfers to these exchanges? I've been doing the old pull from my bank account and waiting the 7 days. Is it a real PITA to do the wire transfer? I know they take like $25 in fees.

I've been trading back and forth sold my ETH at the peak the other day and then BTC started to skyrocket which is where all my funds currently are. So that's nice lol. What is the reason though. Why is BTC rising whole others are still falling?

I really need to get off Bittrex into a place that BTC isn't the base currency though. I need to be on Kraken where it will go to a fit currency when I sell and BTC is just another tradeable.
BTC hardfork transition becoming clearer and sounding more like a smooth ride; I suspect other currencies are 1. lagging behind BTC, 2. Becoming less relevant now that BTC is strengthening its position.

Edit: My position was closed, BTC at $2713, kinda crazy. Well, maybe not if we are looking at $10,000 prices in the next few years; these movements will be minuscule.

Brandson

BTC hardfork transition becoming clearer and sounding more like a smooth ride; I suspect other currencies are 1. lagging behind BTC, 2. Becoming less relevant now that BTC is strengthening its position.

Edit: My position was closed, BTC at $2713, kinda crazy. Well, maybe not if we are looking at $10,000 prices in the next few years; these movements will be minuscule.

Market is still overreacting. There will be a correction after this. There always is. Everyone buying Bitcoin now already assumes BIP91 will be accepted at this point so going higher on the basis of this news alone is irrational. My plan is to be patient. Let's see how it works out for me. I put in a buy order for ETH just above 200. It probably won't be hit for a few days, but I think we'll get there, even briefly.

Ah makes sense. Man... I'm disappointed I really don't have much to be playing with here. Just a few hundred. I've made ~$200 in just the last month or so playing around, but in the end it's just some casual spending money, part of a loan payment. The age old adage is as true as ever. Gotta have money to make money.

I guess I should just be happy I'm not losing money.

Ah makes sense. Man... I'm disappointed I really don't have much to be playing with here. Just a few hundred. I've made ~$200 in just the last month or so playing around, but in the end it's just some casual spending money, part of a loan payment. The age old adage is as true as ever. Gotta have money to make money.

I guess I should just be happy I'm not losing money.
Well, right now might be a great time to lose money too!

Market is still overreacting. There will be a correction after this. There always is. Everyone buying Bitcoin now already assumes BIP91 will be accepted at this point so going higher on the basis of this news alone is irrational. My plan is to be patient. Let's see how it works out for me. I put in a buy order for ETH just above 200. It probably won't be hit for a few days, but I think we'll get there, even briefly.
I don't see an entry point, so I am not entering, but it is quite possible that the next entry point will be at a price higher than even this $2700.

Just opened blockfolio... all coins 20-30% up (24) oO
BTC too. Whatyearisthis.jpg
Where is your avatar from? I like him!

CCS

Banned
I have the most hilariously bad timing, you can always bank on BTC jumping up about $20 in the minute or two after I close out a position.

Well, right now might be a great time to lose money too!

I don't see an entry point, so I am not entering, but it is quite possible that the next entry point will be at a price higher than even this $2700.

Where is your avatar from? I like him!

Oh I'm not going to buy in more right now lol. I just meant generally to take advantage of.

Donos

ANS held pretty well compared to other coins in the last major dips and it still has the Neo rebranding + maybe new exchanges to look forward.

My current stressor for trading is that I cannot easily convert back to Fiat (USD) to take shelter from massive dips as crypto seems to be relatively holistic. I'd like to for instance say if I wanted to check out now and take profits, move to USD which will be stable without taking an insane penalty for cashing out like Coinbase costs me. What are my options? I know Kraken has Fiat trading. So even just buying currency is significantly cheaper than trying to buy BTC and transfer it to an exchange.

x3sphere

My current stressor for trading is that I cannot easily convert back to Fiat (USD) to take shelter from massive dips as crypto seems to be relatively holistic. I'd like to for instance say if I wanted to check out now and take profits, move to USD which will be stable without taking an insane penalty for cashing out like Coinbase costs me. What are my options? I know Kraken has Fiat trading. So even just buying currency is significantly cheaper than trying to buy BTC and transfer it to an exchange.

Why not use GDAX? If you have a Coinbase account, you already have an account there.

Unless it's not available in your region?

Gemini is another option, will probably take some time to get verified though.

BTC just tore though $2700 almost at $2800. Yet Eth is still stuck at $230.....quite scary to see if Eth catches up to where it should be or falls.

BTC just tore though $2700 almost at $2800. Yet Eth is still stuck at $230.....quite scary to see if Eth catches up to where it should be or falls.
I'm looking at the order book of BTC on bitfinex and the sellers side is almost empty; just the buy orders down to $2400 are enough to empty the whole book. Essentially, if someone puts a market order of 3k [not much at all], the price will hit $30,000. The funding book is almost empty of BTC, only 3k left, and bitfinex is one of the largest platforms too.

I guess it either has go higher or just fall flat by tomorrow; I don't really want anything to do with it now, but that two reversals I missed cost me dearly lol

Brandson

I'm looking at the order book of BTC on bitfinex and the sellers side is almost empty; just the buy orders down to $2400 are enough to empty the whole book. Essentially, if someone puts a market order of 3k [not much at all], the price will hit $30,000

This is sounding increasingly like a situation I want nothing to do with. 100% fiat.

This is sounding increasingly like a situation I want nothing to do with. 100% fiat.
I dunno, maybe the supply of BTC has ended? lol Anyway, this is interesting to watch

edit: Another financial analyst buying into BTC:
http://thereformedbroker.com/2017/0...itcoin/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

edit 2: I am becoming increasingly fearful for the fiat funds I had provided; hopefully BTC won't evaporate into thin air over night. If it does I might lose most of my savings lol Please fall gracefully so anyone who is using my fund for his/her position can clear it at a reasonable market price :(

Brandson

I dunno, maybe the supply of BTC has ended? lol Anyway, this is interesting to watch

edit: Another financial analyst buying into BTC:
http://thereformedbroker.com/2017/0...itcoin/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

edit 2: I am becoming increasingly fearful for the fiat funds I had provided; hopefully BTC won't evaporate into thin air over night. If it does I might lose most of my savings lol Please fall gracefully so anyone who is using my fund for his/her position can clear it at a reasonable market price :(

Fall gracefully, lol. There is nothing gradual or fair about crypto. That's why you can make 30% in a day. There is a flipside to that, obviously. You've got to be hyper-vigilant if not losing fiat is your primary driver.

If all of this collapsed today, I'd be happy with my gains thus far, even though I am down on my theoretical maximum unrealized profit.

x3sphere

BTC just broke $2800 now

ETH still going down, getting close to 0.074 on the ETH/BTC ratio. That has held up as support the last few times,.

Brandson

With the depressed ethbtc ratio, once btc starts correcting, I would be worried about eth having another flash crash. Thinking I might close that buy order at 200.

Fall gracefully, lol. There is nothing gradual or fair about crypto. That's why you can make 30% in a day. There is a flipside to that, obviously. You've got to be hyper-vigilant if not losing fiat is your primary driver.

If all of this collapsed today, I'd be happy with my gains thus far, even though I am down on my theoretical maximum unrealized profit.
I have most of fiat locked away in a few funds provided for which I receive a measly interest and they will not close until two days from now. If someone's margin starts to close, what will happen is that the system will sell their asset at the highest available market price. Let's say someone has used my funding to buy 1 BTC at @2400 at a ratio of 3, which means if the price drops to below $1800, they won't be able to pay back my money and the margin has to be closed; however, if there are no buy orders at $1800 when the margin will be closed, it will be sold at the next available buy order, which might be $1 dollar, and that $1799 will be my loss. That has never happened on Bitfinex, but there is a 1st for everything I suppose!

You know, I am gonna put a buy order at $1800 so that just in case it crashes down I can buy back some BTC at a cheap price lol

Why not use GDAX? If you have a Coinbase account, you already have an account there.

Unless it's not available in your region?

Gemini is another option, will probably take some time to get verified though.

I'm crazy I guess? I thought Washington state was an that list. They have a lot of protections in place here for gambling and as a result cryptocurrency.

So GDAX doesn't charge for fiat currency conversion? Coinbase charges through the nose.

BTC just broke $2800 now

ETH still going down, getting close to 0.074 on the ETH/BTC ratio. That has held up as support the last few times,.

$2840 now, this is some scary crazy stuff watching BTC tear right through. When BTC drops it will bring everything crashing down very hard.

Eth just keeps dropping and fast.

$2840 now, this is some scary crazy stuff watching BTC tear right through. When BTC drops it will bring everything crashing down very hard.

Eth just keeps dropping and fast.
That is, 'if' it drops. This could simply be BTC price moving into a higher order of magnitude. I don't see it retracing below $1800, unless something weird is going on. But since these things are moving the opposite of what I expect, it will probably drop below that lol [and I'll be bankrupt]

Ether and every other alt-coin dropping in price makes sense. After all, they served little purpose than been limited assets to hold onto.

Edit: BTC sell book on bitfinex now sits at 2k in total;

Then I will be the first to congratulate you. Just this precise moment in time in crypto is too risky for me. I will re-enter when it is less in danger of imminent collapse, which could be as early as tomorrow.

Oh, I agree that this moment isn't a great time to re-enter. I just can't see myself ever being 100% fiat. The potential upside of bitcoin is too great for me to not have a stash in cold storage. But I guess that's why I'm a long hodler and not a trader :)

Brandson

That is, 'if' it drops. This could simply be BTC price moving into a higher order of magnitude. I don't see it retracing below $1800, unless something weird is going on. But since these things are moving the opposite of what I expect, it will probably drop below that lol [and I'll be bankrupt]

Ether and every other alt-coin dropping in price makes sense. After all, they served little purpose than been limited assets to hold onto.

Edit: BTC sell book on bitfinex now sits at 2k in total;

Hoping you come through this ok. Ether actually can serve many purposes. There are lots of exciting things being developed with it. Most are on private chains though, but there could be great utility interacting with the public chain too.

Hoping you come through this ok. Ether actually can serve many purposes. There are lots of exciting things being developed with it. Most are on private chains though, but there could be great utility interacting with the public chain too.
Not if it keeps getting hacked -_-

Thanks though, I really hope too; I have most of my savings hanging on a thread really

That didn't take too long -_- I'll tell you what will happen to my fundings by tomorrow

Some people are going to lose a lot of money tomorrow comes [hopefully I won't be one of those -_-]

I will say a prayer for you my friend. BTC now just took a hard dip back to $2700 already, while Eth keeps testing to get through $230. Maybe the same people that played with Eth price yesterday are doing the same.

Instro

Out of everything atm, made a little on the BTC run. I'm tempted to jump back into eth considering it didn't do anything while this was going on. Everything seems very dangerous right now though.

x3sphere

I'm crazy I guess? I thought Washington state was an that list. They have a lot of protections in place here for gambling and as a result cryptocurrency.

So GDAX doesn't charge for fiat currency conversion? Coinbase charges through the nose.

No fees as long as you use limit orders. Market orders are like 0.25-0.30% fee, so still a lot less than Coinbase.

Just saw this, "BIP 91 has now met the required signalling level for the period (80%) and has now locked in.Miners have until this time to upgrade their nodes. Blocks not signalling BIP 141 (bit 1) will be rejected after activation."

Top Bottom