• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Brohan

BNB Decline is really hurting me .. Concidering trading my ARK for the low BNB as BNB will probably go up faster than ARK will go down, and then retrade BNB for ARK .

I feel like:

54ffe5266025c-dog1.jpg

Lol. I'm just going to sit things out.

I only recently started and made so many mistakes. Buying in too high (FOMO) and selling too early (panic selling) and yes switching coins too.

One time i switched from ARK to DGB because it seemed like ARK was dropping and 20 minutes after i switched ARK skyrocketed to a new ATH. I felt like slapping myself and was dumb enough to buy back in at a high price and sold my DGB again to do so.

What ended up happening was that ARK dropped and DGB went up like 30-40% after i went to bed.

So during my short experience in trading (only been at it for like 3 weeks or so) i have learned to just hold and be patient.

Danielsan

Lol. I'm just going to sit things out.

I only recently started and made so many mistakes. Buying in too high (FOMO) and selling too early (panic selling) and yes switching coins too.

One time i switched from ARK to DGB because it seemed like ARK was dropping and 20 minutes after i switched ARK skyrocketed to a new ATH. I felt like slapping myself and was dumb enough to buy back in at a high price and sold my DGB again to do so.

What ended up happening was that ARK dropped and DGB went up like 30-40% after i went to bed.

So during my short experience in trading (only been at it for like 3 weeks or so) i have learned to just hold and be patient.
Almost the exact same thing happened to me. ARK is in a bit of a lull right now, but I'm just going to hold. I'm sure it will shoot past the 45000 again soon enough, though it seems that I have the power to trigger that by selling all my ARK beforehand.

Brohan

Almost the exact same thing happened to me. ARK is in a bit of a lull right now, but I'm just going to hold. I'm sure it will shoot past the 45000 again soon enough, though it seems that I have the power to trigger that by selling all my ARK beforehand.

Hahaha, well then it seems we both have the same powers.

We might be able to abuse those powers... if one of us stocks up alot of ARK and then one of us sells some so that the price skyrockets.. we could then split the earnings.

win win

DKF590

Just bought in for 200 BNB @ $2.45. Bought in now because it looks like the fees are hitting today after all. I think the free fees ending means we will bounce back to yesterday's high no problem once the TRON ICO ends.

Still pretty new to this but I got extremely lucky putting money into bitcoin early in the year and then NEO @ $7.5. Hoping BNB can be another coin to blow up.

pieface

Hahaha, well then it seems we both have the same powers.

We might be able to abuse those powers... if one of us stocks up alot of ARK and then one of us sells some so that the price skyrockets.. we could then split the earnings.

win win

Yeah panic selling / buying never really works. I've only been in this game for about 5 months myself and just by simply holding i'm up about £60k. Not trying to brag or anything, many people are up a hell of a lot more but i'm content with things so far.

Find some coins you believe in the tech, and just hold.

When they're up and it feels like FOMO is kicking in (ie, you feel like you're going to be rich), sell a little and either use that money as "play money" to try and trade other coins with, or buy back lower.

Everyone who i've spoken to in this game who have made a LOT of money have said they have done it moslty by holding coins they believe in. Trading requires permanent attention to all details and you need to be on it all the time. Tis a tough game as a lot of action often happens as other timezones wake up as you sleep.

Also on another note about ARK, most circulating ARK is held up in wallets with voting, which means there's little on the exchanges right now so whales can easily manipulate the price. Don't be fooled by them. :)

And remember, you haven't lost anything til you sell.

tanuki

I've been watching Binance the past few days and pretty much every time there's an ICO about to happen, BNB will either a) drop if the ICO uses BTC/ETH, or b) rise if the ICO uses BNB. Immediately after the ICO, BNB corrects back to it's normal price.

Pretty much a good time to make free BNB. My timing has been rubbish though, I've always estimated the buy/sell time wrong and not benefited it from it.

Brohan

Yeah panic selling / buying never really works. I've only been in this game for about 5 months myself and just by simply holding i'm up about £60k. Not trying to brag or anything, many people are up a hell of a lot more but i'm content with things so far.

When they're up and it feels like FOMO is kicking in (ie, you feel like you're going to be rich), sell a little and either use that money as "play money" to try and trade other coins with, or buy back lower.

Everyone who i've spoken to in this game who have made a LOT of money have said they have done it moslty by holding coins they believe in. Trading requires permanent attention to all details and you need to be on it all the time. Tis a tough game as a lot of action often happens as other timezones wake up as you sleep.

Also on another note about ARK, most circulating ARK is held up in wallets with voting, which means there's little on the exchanges right now so whales can easily manipulate the price. Don't be fooled by them. :)

I hope i get to be that succesful by just holding because at the moment i'm still in the red due to stupid mistakes.

I have put in about €700 so far which isn't alot compared to many but that is about the maximum i'm willing to lose right now.

The hard part is holding when in the red and just fight that feeling that you are losing more by waiting.

Sony

Nintendo

Great advice, thanks.

Edit: Ok, I logged out of the exchanges and shit down blockfolio. I had a decent investment in ARK and in BNB. Let's see what happens, this constant bickering about what I should do isn't good for me state of mind and is distracting me from work. My portfolio is down about 80€, mostly due to BNB. I bought in during the lows of yesterday, but the lows of today are lower than the lows over the week... So I'm zen.. ish.

pieface

I hope i get to be that succesful by just holding because at the moment i'm still in the red due to stupid mistakes.

I have put in about €700 so far which isn't alot compared to many but that is about the maximum i'm willing to lose right now.

The hard part is holding when in the red and just fight that feeling that you are losing more by waiting.

Yeah, I get that. During the bitcoin fork drama my £20k investment dropped to £14k. I was shitting myself. I held all the way thinking "this was a 3-5 year investment not a 3month investment" and it's turned out nicely. (so far, could easily go pear shaped again)

Ultimately you have to do whatever you feel comfortable with doing. But this is such a pump and dump market it's so easy to get caught out. Just be careful :)

Brohan

Yeah, I get that. During the bitcoin fork drama my £20k investment dropped to £14k. I was shitting myself. I held all the way thinking "this was a 3-5 year investment not a 3month investment" and it's turned out nicely. (so far, could easily go pear shaped again)

Ultimately you have to do whatever you feel comfortable with doing. But this is such a pump and dump market it's so easy to get caught out. Just be careful :)

Yeah after my rocky start i have decided that holding is the way to go.

Now i just hope that the coins i chose (ARK and IOTA) were the right picks for the long term.

Also, if you want to actually day trade, you need

1) A fairly large size investment to make it worth your time and constant attention

2) The knowledge that this entire market is unregulated and loaded with manipulation and corruption, and at any second your wallet can be hacked or your exchange can shut down.

But yea, BNB tanking is a bummer.

Donos

Good post and congrats on the gains. I have a couple coins where is think the tech/team/outlook is really good and i'm going to keep them no matter what.All of them are +200-300€ each so far. And then i have a budget for pump and dumps / short time rockets like DNT recently (where i missed my exit windows but still had a bit of +) and ICOs to play around.

pieface

Yeah after my rocky start i have decided that holding is the way to go.

Now i just hope that the coins i chose (ARK and IOTA) were the right picks for the long term.

Personally I think you chose wisely :)

Patience is the killer in crypto though. You see coins go up and want to get in on the action. I wish I could just be forget about the whole scene for 2 years and then see where my investments are at.

As you're invested in ARK, i'm running a Christmas sweepstake (you have to guess what the price of ARK will be on Christmas Day) you can see the results here;
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IOYAxY7CeU6AX3l2U0vk/edit?pli=1#gid=634347005

Dunno if that puts your mind at rest at all. :)

Good post and congrats on the gains. I have a couple coins where is think the tech/team/outlook is really good and i'm going to keep them no matter what.All of them are +200-300€ each so far. And then i have a budget for pump and dumps / short time rockets like DNT recently (where i missed my exit windows but still had a bit of +) and ICOs to play around.

Thanks. Your approach sounds like a solid plan :)

Tk0n

really good advice, pieface.
if i would follow it all the time, i would have made alot more money ;)
sometimes, i just cant resist the fomo. but i get burned quite often...

also, dont forget that ark hasnt even fallen to the price it had just 6 days ago. and it crossed 1$ just 10 days ago. now it sits at 1,58$ and that is considered a low.

also, good day for lisk, (which coincidently ark is a fork of)
but a look in blockfolio makes you think... i bought lisk on june 7 for around ,001. now it sits at todays high at ,00084.
i still made a net profit because bitcoin prices where much lower then but leaving the money in btc (or selling when it reached ,0014) would have been the wiser move in retrospect. you just dont know how its going to develop.

Brohan

Patience is the killer in crypto though. You see coins go up and want to get in on the action. I wish I could just be forget about the whole scene for 2 years and then see where my investments are at.

As you're invested in ARK, i'm running a Christmas sweepstake (you have to guess what the price of ARK will be on Christmas Day) you can see the results here;
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IOYAxY7CeU6AX3l2U0vk/edit?pli=1#gid=634347005

Thanks. Your approach sounds like a solid plan :)

Most predict that the price goes up so let's hope they are right. Hope that ghostfaceuk is way off though because that would suck XD.

What was the price of entry? 10 ARK?

Edit: also there is a single person that who has his prediction in british pounds... is that correct or should that have been a dollar sign aswell?

syllogism

It's clearly a waste of time to attempt to buy TRON during these ICO sessions. It's just lottery, even if you are very well prepared. It was at 34% within the first few seconds and then either the progress bar or the server processing orders broke. Better expected ROI just by buying BNB at the low point. I'm surprised people haven't given up yet, expecting it not to all be gone; I suppose there is a chance none of the orders after the initial ones were processed.

pieface

Most predict that the price goes up so let's hope they are right. Hope that ghostfaceuk is way off though because that would suck XD.

What was the price of entry? 10 ARK?

Edit: also there is a single person that who has his prediction in british pounds... is that correct or should that have been a dollar sign aswell?

Yeah the first 4 lowest predictions were made before the recent pump. Shame I didn't add date of prediction to the table really.

Price is 10 ARK yup (1 ark was worth $0.50 when I started it lol). All predictions are to be made in dollars to keep it consistent :)

really good advice, pieface.
if i would follow it all the time, i would have made alot more money ;)
sometimes, i just cant resist the fomo. but i get burned quite often...

also, dont forget that ark hasnt even fallen to the price it had just 6 days ago. and it crossed 1$ just 10 days ago. now it sits at 1,58$ and that is considered a low.

also, good day for lisk, (which coincidently ark is a fork of)
but a look in blockfolio makes you think... i bought lisk on june 7 for around ,001. now it sits at todays high at ,00084.
i still made a net profit because bitcoin prices where much lower then but leaving the money in btc (or selling when it reached ,0014) would have been the wiser move in retrospect. you just dont know how its going to develop.

Yeah I think Lisk may have a rebrand soon I think I read, might be a good idea to purchase some just before the rebrand :)

Sony

Nintendo

Sounds good. Yeah I found out the hard way... I bought 35 BNB during yesterdays spike because my noob ass was like omg omg omg it's rising I need to get in on the action! then after I bought some BNB, thinking it would go up, turns out I bought BNB at the highest price in a week and it never got that high again xD I've placed a put option to get rid of the 35 for the same price. My friend laughed at me telling me I made the rookie mistake xD

Brohan

Yeah the first 4 lowest predictions were made before the recent pump. Shame I didn't add date of prediction to the table really.

Price is 10 ARK yup. All predictions are to be made in dollars to keep it consistent :)

Ah ok, then it seems that the £2.54 prediction in there should have been $2.54 which is a bummer because that seemed like the perfect place to put a prediction.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I had a hunch about ARK dropping below 0.00037 when exploring the graph with some TA so I put a order to buy five at 0.000365 before I went to work. :) Wise move.

I have diversified my portfolio to BTC, NEO, Stratis, ARK, CVC and PAY. And I have some leftover money for day trading.

Yeah I think Lisk may have a rebrand soon I think I read, might be a good idea to purchase some just before the rebrand :)

Yes, Lisk is going to have a rebrand soon. Lisk seems to be doing pretty good today. I bought into Lisk last week, so I hope it keeps climbing... :)

I also hold a bunch of TenX, but something has me a little leery about it.

I wonder how high BNB can reach?

Eth is starting to make another run, let's see if it can break through that $340 which it seems to be getting to and bouncing back.

Brandson

Just a heads-up that Ethereum has a hard-coded enforced mining reward reduction coming soon (I believe tomorrow August 25) I think in the form of a difficulty increase.

If miners want to keep receiving the same profit as before the reduction, the price of Ethereum has to go up.

Or, miners could throw a fit and move to another coin to mine, messing with ETH's hash rate and causing the price to drop, but I doubt it.

Unless other market factors coincide with this change, logically the price of ETH should go up to the $360-$380 range once everyone understands this.

Sony

Nintendo
Thanks for the heads up.

What is y'alls expectation for IOTA? I think I've read somewhere that it'll be added to Binance, which would probably increase its price.

Brohan

Thanks for the heads up.

What is y'alls expectation for IOTA? I think I've read somewhere that it'll be added to Binance, which would probably increase its price.

I hold some IOTA and to be honest it's real long term.

The market that they are aiming at doesn't really exist yet.

But that might be the nr1 reason to invest now while it is cheap.

Brandson

Yeah, if you like what IOTA is doing, it should be a long-term hold. I think it has some good potential over the next couple of years.

The Rizza

This has probably been asked before, but is it okay to buy IOTA on Bitfinex even if you're in the US? Isn't Bitfinex stopping trades for the US?

syllogism

Both TRON ICOs finally at 100%. Might have gotten some since it deducted ETH from me at the same time when it jumped from 40% to 100%.

e: Ah, it's under the ICO tab.

Sony

Nintendo

Yeah, if you like what IOTA is doing, it should be a long-term hold. I think it has some good potential over the next couple of years.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah almost all the investments I want to do are for the long run, I know myself well enough to know that I won't have the nerve, the patience or the knowlege to do daytrading.

Brandson

The announcement could range from industry adoption, but not necessarily of public XRP, to a date for a new Ripple conference.

If you picked announce a Ripple conference, you win. It's a nice sounding conference, but doesn't justify the price rise in my opinion.

Brandson

I don't hold Monero, and not interested in obvious pump and dump schemes, but this is an interesting insight into Bithumb's strategy for listing Monero:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmrtrader/comments/6vrfyw/bithumb_monero_update/

For those unaware, Bithumb is Korea's largest crypto exchange with daily volume that often leads all crypto exchanges worldwide. As a result, large price movements there tend to be a leading indicator for movements on Western exchanges. The crypto market really sucks at self-regulating it seems.

If you picked announce a Ripple conference, you win. It's a nice sounding conference, but doesn't justify the price rise in my opinion.

The price seems to now be tanking hard with Ripple.

What is going on with BNB, that has been dropping since this morning. Wasn't Binance supposed to be using it today for fees or what that at a later date?

PolishQ

DNT is being added to the BTC9 exchange tomorrow, and it's coming to Shapeshift "soon". Might be a good time to buy in. Binance has it.

What is going on with BNB, that has been dropping since this morning. Wasn't Binance supposed to be using it today for fees or what that at a later date?

I heard somewhere that free trading fees have been extended to August 27th.

AmFreak

Many people probably traded their BNB for BTC to buy into the Tron ICO leading to an oversupply for the time being.

TeegsD

Last night, I stared at CryptoCompare debating whether I should bail out of XRP before the announcement then buy in low. Now after that somewhat disappointing announcement, I really wish I had listened to my gut. It is what it is, I still value the token. I just think we're in for a decent drop until this conference.

Instro

Well, the coin increased in value ten fold over the last couple weeks. Not shocking that it is dropping back.

Sony

Nintendo
come on lisk, you can do it!

What is the expectation?

Edit: I'm an absolute moron. Got 30 lisk @ $3.92, sold it at $4.07 .. then I was like oke I can rinse and repeat this. And with every buy -> sell -> buy -> I lost a little but. I lost $4 over 7 transactions xD
Daytrading is one thing, but I was 30 second trading. Why am I such a greedy fuck and don't I learn.

Cipherr

So can anyone tell me what's up with the "No US residents" stuff I keep seeing in so many white papers? Are US traders just ignoring this since there's seemingly no way for an ICO to know (they don't ask, and all accept USD. Almost all of them anyway).

Can I just ignore that? Or what?

Tk0n

What is the expectation?

i dont really have an expectation. i thought it might be able to break 0,001btc. but for now, it couldnt.
i dont have much lisk and bought it when it was already quite high a few months ago. it doesnt hurt me when it drops a bit but i wont get rich from lisk anytime soon. im happy for every cent its above the price i bought it for ;)

my guess would be that it will test the resistance at 0,001 again in a few hours. but after that it could go either way. there really isnt a reason for the climb that started 4 days ago and im not sure how long it will last. there isnt much "hype" surrounding lisk. and hype and manipulation are the only things driving this market.

Top Bottom