• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek's Hunt: The Showdown is a "player vs player monster hunter", debuting at E3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gematsu said:
In June 2014, Crytek announced Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age, a free-to-play third-person co-op action game from its Crytek USA studio. Then, just one month later, the company announced that it was restructuring and development of Hunt would shift to its headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany. Today, three years later, Crytek has announced that Hunt will return under the new title as Hunt: Showdown with a gameplay debut at E3 2017 from June 13 to 15.

Hunt: Showdown is described as a ”player-versus-player monster hunter" that ”has taken the original concept in a different direction under a new development team."

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/05/crytek-hunt-showdown-gameplay-debut-set-e3-2017#h1Jrsxy8H3qkTJCK.99

Toni

I'm ready for Crytek's comeback. They have been going through quite a rough patch and they have yet to have a powerful IP in today's open world and games as a service era.

Ashtar

I'm not okay with this, I really liked the initial pitch for hunted.
Now I know how those prey 2 people felt, hopefully it turns out well but any sort of online fps duel doesn't for into my interests

Unless I'm missing something, the basic description reminds me of EVOLVE.

Hope it fares better.

^!!lol same time/same wavelength. We all connected, brehs!

Freeman76

Most of their games are overrated and I have never understood how they got such a big name really. Most of what they release looks good but is bug ridden or boring to play.

So Evolve? Good luck with that.

Most of their games are overrated and I have never understood how they got such a big name really. Most of what they release looks good but is bug ridden or boring to play.

Crysis was a great shooter on top of being visually groundbreaking.

Far Cry was good and Crysis 1 was amazing, but they've mostly been coasting on that for the last decade. Hope this Hunt game is good, but honestly I preferred the original concept of a team of 4 vs. many AI monsters/enemies.

Dicktatorship

So, Crytek's big gamble is one of those asymmetrical multiplayer games that have had some high profile failures and few successes? I hope their remaining employees are sending out their resumes before this thing launches.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone wish at least some feel for the current market will say "this won't do well", and yet nobody at Crytek will listen or ignore, just to be incredibly surprised when it actually, well, doesn't do good.

Prove me wrong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given the teaser trailer, I think they mean it's a player vs. player game (with an equal number of humans on both sides) competing to hunt a monster, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah...Evolve didn't do well...

But hey, maybe it'll at least win a bunch of trade show awards! That accounts for something right?!?! ;)

FnzrjoN.jpg

Speely

Banned
While I liked the original idea, I am not writing off asynchronous PvP just because the idea hasn't had a success yet. Just because the implementation has been flawed or doomed (depending) does not mean the idea has no merit in and of itself.

Hoping for the best. Would be nice to see them get back in the game with a bang.

Given the teaser trailer, I think they mean it's a player vs. player game (with an equal number of humans on both sides) competing to hunt a monster, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah that seems likely given the teaser... that or the "monster" character can issue commands to minions and/or place them, kinda like Fable Legends was gonna do.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
i mean it did sell over 2 million copies and you can't forget about the tons of DLc it had. It didn't have any staying power but I don't know if it wasn't unrighteousness bombed

The f2p version also attracted 5.36 million downloads, so there was initial interest for something like this. It just didn't make people want to keep playing.

Übermatik;238689798 said:
This is pretty much make or break, right?

Probably, although I don't know how the company keeps on ticking. They've had fiscal problems since 2014, I think. Don't know if they have anything else besides this in the pipeline.

Protome

Another interesting thing: Crytek has a lot of open positions http://www.crytek.com/career/offers/overview

You'd have to know very little about the company you're applying for to think that getting a job at Crytek is a good idea.

This was so bizarre. At one point I was seriously wondering if those publications were being paid to overhype Evolve because nothing shown of it remotely warranted all the praise it got

Evolve demoed really well. Get a handful of press together in an ideal scenario and an ideal setup to play the game and it seems like an absolutely amazing game. The moment it releases full and people realise the 1 v many team balance doesn't work great for matchmaking and the game is lacking in any variety and it all falls apart.

Keasar

And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Evolve, the most acclaimed game coming in 2015
Look on my awards, ye mighty, and despair!'

tenor.gif

This was so bizarre. At one point I was seriously wondering if those publications were being paid to overhype Evolve because nothing shown of it remotely warranted all the praise it got
I think the awards it got was because when press tested it, they only got to try and play one level, one hunt, and for what the game was worth, that first hunt was probably actually quite a unique experience and exciting. You expected that there would be more monsters and hunters that offered varying types of hunts and ways to hunt during the full release. The problem came when you started to realize that running in a circle was all there was, no matter what you picked, through subsequent plays. Not to mention the following matchmaking problems etc.

I am not hearing Evolve I am hearing Monster Hunter with PvP elements. Maybe groups compete to hunt dinosaurs and can also take out other groups?

Sounds dumb, not everything has to be PvP. The original pitch sounded way better than this.

Even if it's two separate teams competing to hunt one monster, that also sounds lame. Fighting monsters in MH can already be tedious enough.. adding people who can come in and gank you sounds like the worst idea.

Protome

I doubt Microsoft wants to get involved with Crytek again after Ryse, but crazier things have happened.

I wouldn't expect MS or Sony want to be connected with a company like Crytek anymore. Publishing a company's game when you know they've not payed employees for months at a time multiple times in the past is a bad look.

tragic

Developer
Disclaimer: Was on the team before Crytek Austin went south. No longer involved in any way (and haven't been for years!).

Originally, when we were working on this, the internal goal was somewhat akin to a mission-based 4-Player Dark Souls / Monster Hunter w/ a heavier focus on gunplay (though there was quite a bit of melee as well). Weapons were old-school (lever actions, double barrel shotguns, hatchets, with some experimental-for-the-time weapons too).

Damage and difficulty was meant to be incredibly high to force sticking together and of course, teamwork.

You could gather resources during missions (like Monster Hunter) and even find a crafting bench to build upgrades.

We were also working on complex bosses with multiple stages with mechanics that required teamwork to overcome (similar to a WOW boss, but but action oriented).

There was never any talk about 4 players vs 1 boss (like Evolve), so if they went that direction, it's all new to me (but again, I haven't been involved for years). I'm really interested to see what they've done with the original concept. Sounds like it has changed quite a bit.

tragic

Developer
The version you were involved in sounds way, way better imo.

I will say that probably half the original team (Darksiders 2 team) were massive Dark Souls fans, and a handful (including myself) were huge Monster Hunter fans. Combine that with the GM (David Adams) love for the wild west (see: Gunfire Games logo!) and you had the basis of a lot of really interesting ideas.

Top Bottom