• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult of Mac: Our Sources Say Apple Is Developing A Video Game Console

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I kind of partly hope that they release a console just to see the fits of sputum-flecked apoplexy the internet tangles itself into to denounce it.

But man, 4 consoles tho. Considering they practically already all have the same libraries when it comes to multi-platform games, they really better have something special that sets it apart other than it being Apple.

But man, 4 consoles tho. Considering they practically already all have the same libraries when it comes to multi-platform games, they really better have something special that sets it apart other than it being Apple.

Of the 4 companies, you think Apple is most likely to play the same game, so to speak, as everyone else? That's really cute.

Xun

If anything Jobs probably initiated the idea behind this if it is in relation to the rumoured Apple TV.

I'm not entirely sure where the story of Jobs being anti-gaming comes from.

neptunes

If anything Jobs probably initiated the idea behind this if it is in relation to the rumoured Apple TV.

I'm not entirely sure where the story of Jobs being anti-gaming comes from.

There was a meeting with epic (or was it Id Games?) where Jobs basically said he doesn't see Games as a compelling story telling medium.

Massa

Valve was / is a PC developer. They didn't decide to release Steam on PC because it has competition, they created Steam on the PC because it's where they were as a company. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they released Half Life 2, they made it so you could only play it through Steam. What does that remind you of?

Edit: where else could Steam have existed, if not on PC? Game console manufacturers with walled gardens like Microsoft and Xbox wouldn't want Steam on their devices - Apple on the other hand is not like Microsoft and Sony. They don't have a stake in gaming. It actually makes sense that Apple and Valve would work together to bring Steam into Apple's walled garden.

iOS is exactly like Xbox and Playstation. Apple has no reason to give away their 30% to Valve, and Valve has no reason to do the same.

On Macs Apple doesn't force the 30% tax yet.

Coolwhip

Banned
Are people really discussing the possibility of apple releasing a console thats like ps360? No way that will happen. Extended gaming service, sure.

Derrick01

Banned
One thing that might help would be for Microsoft to come up with a remote control other than the gamer joystick thing that Xbox comes with today

Man I know he's a hip non gamer or whatever but I seriously cringed reading that. People like this will kill gaming if there's enough of them.

White Man

I would be happier if they hired Valve to fix up and\roll up iTunes and App Store. Or buy out Steam to inherit their social network.

Haunted

I kind of partly hope that they release a console just to see the fits of sputum-flecked apoplexy the internet tangles itself into to denounce it.
I want to see it announced for the irrational fellation that will take place by the Apple cult.
I guarantee we'll have more fun!
I can't help but be reminded of this PA comic every time I read an exchange like this.

215222676_3sDUq-L-2.jpg

I 100% believe Apple is developing some box that hooks to your TV that will play games. That doesn't mean it will ever see the light of day. Pretty much everything Cult of the Mac ever got "wrong" later turned out to be some feature or product that got axed right before it was unveiled. Also with Jobs gone, they can start to pursue areas that he would never allow them to.

I think the biggest reason this is real is that the home entertainment device is the one thing Microsoft absolutely beats Apple at. Apple only has the Mac Mini and that has gone no where. At some point that will be a battle ground. Windows 8 is aimed at being the same on every platform. I bet the next Xbox will run Windows 8 of some short. Apple has to see that as a threat. They know all about ecosystems in terms of customer retention.

rezuth

There was a meeting with epic (or was it Id Games?) where Jobs basically said he doesn't see Games as a compelling story telling medium.
It was when Steve Jobs met Ron Gilbert over at Pixar which he challenged him on it, like he always would do with people and ideas. It had nothing to do with his real opinions about it, he just loved to challenge people.

John Carmack also reinforced the notion that Jobs just didn't care about games:

http://kotaku.com/5033041/steve-jobs-not-a-gamer
I can believe that personally he had no interest in playing games, that does not mean he didn't see them as important business. The problem is that Jobs had been burned many times before when it came to games. Valve wanted lots of money to port over their games, Bungie got bought etc that I think he just gave up.

When the iPhone launched Jobs and the board was under the notion that promoting gaming would make the device seem childish and that would make the business sector shy away from it. However when the AppStore came around he got convinced otherwise and not only did they bring in lots of gaming developers to get early access but a large portion of the keynote was dedicated towards gaming.

He also figured that because the younger generation loved gaming so much they should create ads for the iPod Touch around this notion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53LEFjxcMts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsic-8M6wbM

Steve was into everything that could sell their products, sometimes this would be obvious to Apple and sometimes this would be an afterthought but they always pushed heavily for those features to be important.

Ulairi

Banned
It was when Steve Jobs met Ron Gilbert over at Pixar which he challenged him on it, like he always would do with people and ideas. It had nothing to do with his real opinions about it, he just loved to challenge people.

I can believe that personally he had no interest in playing games, that does not mean he didn't see them as important business. The problem is that Jobs had been burned many times before when it came to games. Valve wanted lots of money to port over their games, Bungie got bought etc that I think he just gave up.

When the iPhone launched Jobs and the board was under the notion that promoting gaming would make the device seem childish and that would make the business sector shy away from it. However when the AppStore came around he got convinced otherwise and not only did they bring in lots of gaming developers to get early access but a large portion of the keynote was dedicated towards gaming.

He also figured that because the younger generation loved gaming so much they should create ads for the iPod Touch around this notion.

Steve was into everything that could sell their products, sometimes this would be obvious to Apple and sometimes this would be an afterthought but they always pushed heavily for those features to be important.

You need to cite where Valve wanted a cash payment to port their games to OS X.

1-D_FTW

I think the bigger issue came when Apple lost the business sector because IBM portrayed Apple computers as toys for kids. Not serious machines for production. I think this is what scarred him for life (even when IBM/MS computers later became a gaming haven and made the argument ridiculous).

DodgerSan

I always wondered something. I hear "Apple cultist" bandied about. What's the difference between an "Apple Cultist" and a "Sony Fanboy"?

I have a Macbook, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and an old iPod touch which has been passed on to my daughter. The stuff generally works well together these days, and I have a lot of content there, so it makes sense to stay in that ecosphere.

Am I an Apple Cultist?

How about if I mention I have a gaming PC with Steam on it. Or my Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, DS Lite and Wii?

It's just a stupid hip term like "fanboy" that needs to die.

I always wondered something. I hear "Apple cultist" bandied about. What's the difference between an "Apple Cultist" and a "Sony Fanboy"?

I have a Macbook, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and an old iPod touch which has been passed on to my daughter. The stuff generally works well together these days, and I have a lot of content there, so it makes sense to stay in that ecosphere.

Am I an Apple Cultist?

How about if I mention I have a gaming PC with Steam on it. Or my Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, DS Lite and Wii?

Just use whatever you like and ignore the fanboys :)

laika09

Am I an Apple Cultist?

Because Steve Jobs, and science, and you're only kidding yourself.

Gaspode_T

Apple tv with games and a way to emulate touch with Kinect style hand gesture slapped onto it would not be a console per se...we will have to see but I am skeptical it will be anything more than that

ckohler

Man I know he's a hip non gamer or whatever but I seriously cringed reading that. People like this will kill gaming if there's enough of them.

I feel exactly the same way. The way he uses the word "joystick" screams "I can't use a controller so they must not be worth using".

Kinect like motion sensors on an Apple tv? Already not interested. I can see Valve entering the console market, but Apple? A bunch of ported games from iOS unless they get some amazing killer launch games. Brand alone won't save it from tanking.

ced

You all realize it could just be an updated Apple TV that has App Store support and lets you control with your iOS device right? That could be considered a console, but I wouldn't label it as such.

Harlock

And the heat of competition is good for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo don´t shit too much in the consumer side.

Top Bottom