• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Things are going pretty well on my quest to A-Rank everything. First two isles are done, as if half of isle 3, but getting it on the robot is terrifying.

Tizoc

World 2 bosses are kicking my butt.
Candy Queen I can handle her miniosn EXCEPT the candy corn >=/

Genie fellow is sorta doable but I need to know where the blades will be once I go through one of his pillars

Clown boss is fine if I use homing shot but I need to watch where the ballon dogs will spawn during his Phase 2.

I equipped Charge after 2 and didn't drop it till the end. it's good. it's real good
it does un-charge every time your get hit or parry, so I really don't think it's OP. it's just the best weapon in the game

Na, it's OP. There are some bosses where I practically skipped some phases because the charged shot hits so hard.

MrBadger

And the devil is dead! Definitely not my favourite fight in the game if I'm honest. I found the collision to be a bit off in places. Always seemed to get hit when he did his dragon attack, even when I was sure I wasn't touching him.

Now to go and get the 2 coins I missed in the Run+Gun levels, attempt to A Rank some more bosses and never touch Expert mode

Tesser

And the devil is dead! Definitely not my favourite fight in the game if I'm honest. I found the collision to be a bit off in places. Always seemed to get hit when he did his dragon attack, even when I was sure I wasn't touching him.

I often got hit by "something" right at the edge of the screen, even when I managed to successfully avoid that form. It wasn't one of the minions that appears in the background before running across left-to-right or vice versa, was fairly lucky with timing that I could deal with that, so who knows. But overall I found the devil fight one of the more easier encounters overall.

jholmes

I found I often got hit by "something" right at the edge of the screen, even when I managed to successfully avoid that form. It wasn't one of the minions that appears in the background before running across left-to-right or vice versa, I often got lucky timing that I could deal with that, so who knows. But overall I found the devil fight one of the more easier encounters overall.

With his dragon attack, his body actually whips slightly forward before it goes back. It makes sense in terms of the animation, but it feels really unnatural for a video game. I had the same issue described a few times in the thread before I figured out what was happening. The fact the left side of the screen is obscured by the foreground doesn't help.

Tesser

With his dragon attack, his body actually whips slightly forward before it goes back. It makes sense in terms of the animation, but it feels really unnatural for a video game. I had the same issue described a few times in the thread before I figured out what was happening. The fact the left side of the screen is obscured by the foreground doesn't help.

Ah, that makes sense; I was so focused on which side he was emerging from and making sure I was as tight to the edge as possible to notice. I guess the amount of "stuff" happening at once on-screen does hinder some animation from being visible. If that's the case, how are you meant to avoid that form without taking damage. I assumed at first that the only way to avoid it was to fit between the spaces he makes, but you still get hit when he flies off-screen regardless.

Also, during the Taurus?/extended arms attack - where they slam into each other from both sides - are they all the same duration or do some animations feel slightly slower as that first phase progresses. It's relatively easy to time that attack but I felt that at some points, the animation time was slower than what it should be.

MrBadger

That makes slightly more sense. But then I found out that if I go as far away as possible and just didn't move (as opposed to holding that direction) I didn't take damage.

jholmes

Ah, that makes sense; I was so focused on which side he was emerging from and making sure I was as tight to the edge as possible to notice. I guess the amount of "stuff" happening at once on-screen does hinder some animation from being visible. If that's the case, how are you meant to avoid that form without taking damage. I assumed at first that the only way to avoid it was to fit between the spaces he makes, but you still get hit when he flies off-screen regardless.

I don't think the dragon actually extends lengthwise, his face just moves forward as his body is going the other way. The trick is that his body starts moving back, but his face sorta lunges out as part of that animation, so even though he appears to be retreating, his hitbox stays the same length for a split second. The problem I had was I was so hot to trot that I ran to the center as soon as he started to pull back, and ran into his stretchy face. Again, it's really hard to notice that given that you're looking for the Devil's head to go back to the centre and scanning for minions.

jahasaja

Finally got the last boss. Probably one of the hardest game I ever finished. Really liked the game.

I was a little bit disappointed when I heard that it was only a boss run game. However, I must admit that I did not finish all the normal run and gun levels. Not because they where bad by any means but just because the boss levels where so fun!

I guess it has the same issue as Tropical Freeze bosses that you often die on the later part of the boss and you have to redo all the other phases. However, since every fight is so quick it is almost a none issue.

659 deaths

RocBase

Oh yeah, I just remembered that I beat Cuphead today and was literally coming to post my impressions on GAF only to find the place under flames.

So uh...if you still read this thread Teeth, I just wanted to thank you and the team for the incredible experience that was had. Honestly nowadays it's rare that I get this rush of excitement for new games, let alone the compulsion to 100% them.

Actively await for whatever future plans you guys have on deck!

Ravelle

Man, I can't even dodge anything the robot throws at me as the fight starts, It just overwhelms my senses and I die.

The Bee is also giving me a hard time, especially the first phase, I always get get by that dumb spread bomb.

I deeply fucking hope this no disc physical release that’s in Best Buy is not there idea of a physical release is it

Like they have lead us on to believe we would have a disc version

Cheers lads, thanks for helping game preservation

amdb00mer

Congrats!

Thanks! I found some fights on expert to be easy and others to be rage inducing, but I had nobody to blame other than myself for all those deaths. LOL

So glad I beat King Dice legit on expert. I did not know there was a glitch until I came back to this thread. To be honest I didn't even think about glitches.

I watched the X1X event and saw where they're going to basically rebuild the game for 4K, but to be honest I don't like that idea. The game looks beautiful as is and scales fine. I see no need for it. I wish MS would fund them to work on a sequel or new game. They did drop a hint of being able to play as Mugman through solo campaign and maybe online co-op.

amdb00mer

Until I can beat Dice King on normal without getting hit as he shuffles cards, I'm not going to attempt a perfect run.

What's crazy is his mini-bosses can usually be beaten without taking a single hit. On regular and expert I kept hitting retry until I got my favorite set of heart locations. For regular the first 3 does not matter at all, but on expert #3 can be annoying, but 1 and 2 are a breeze. for 4,5, and 6 I prefer only 4 and 5, especially 5 as it's less hectic and you can finish him off quickly. for 7, 8, and 9 I really prefer 7 or 8 as they can be beaten quickly and easily. 7 can be beaten extremely easy simply by staying on the ground and employing the dash mechanic when she cames across the screen or drops the balls. My biggest challenge was with King Dice himself on expert and those damn pink playing cards. He was tougher than the Devil, who I beat on my 3rd or 4th try on expert.

Narroo

And the animation is so quick you can't really see it. For an otherwise well designed game and battle, it strikes me as bizarrely bad and cheap.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom