• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Review Thread

Is there a MC score graph somewhere with the superlatives that I am allowed to assign to any certain game charted out per MC score?

Just wondering what superlatives I can assign to something that got an 87.

I really don't want my personal opinions getting in the way of something so objective.

I'll admit, I thought there was a pretty good chance this wasn't going to turn out good, aside from the amazing artwork. Sooo glad I was wrong. I was gonna grab this either way but now it looks like a no-brainer.

Is there a MC score graph somewhere with the superlatives that I am allowed to assign to any certain game charted out per MC score?

I really don't want my personal opinions getting in the way of something so objective.

Hehe good point, but placing any real value on a numerical average for a piece of entertainment is dubious to begin with, so it shouldn't surprise too much when people start to argue over levels of good/bad/great/masterpieceness in a review thread. It comes with the territory.

Noobcraft

Lol. I really like the curve provided on opencritic. That top 3%.

screenshot_2017-09-3054opt.png

So VanCityGamer should have no problem with people callin this game

Mighty exceptional
Mighty outstanding
Mighty tremendous
Mighty terrific

So on, so forth

People can call it whatever they want, but I still don't think the 86 MC score constitutes a masterpiece. Very few games are masterpieces. Maybe a few per generation. Based on reviews, Cuphead is not even Top 10 this year.

Look like an excellent game though.

watdaeff4

People can call it whatever they want.

Your posts suggest otherwise. You picking a weird crusade in this thread

EDIT:
I like how you edited your post to admit it "looks like an excellent game" and now you edited again to remove that. 😂
EDIT2: ooiooh you put it back

gamz

People can call it whatever they want, but I still don't think the 86 MC score constitutes a masterpiece. Very few games are masterpieces. Maybe a few per generation. Based on reviews, it's not even Top 10 this year.

Do you seriously judge a game (or anything else) a masterpiece based on an MC score?

gamz

I mean, I just said I disagreed with the label. It's called an opinion and a discussion.

In terms of critical consensus in a review thread? Of course.

Jesus, is that ever dumb.

So what score does a movie or game have to hit before it's a masterpiece? Just curious?

iavi

This game is incredible.

Beautifully crafted and gameplay is rewarding as hell. The kind of game that I care about achievements in.

Whoever’s choosing what to grab in terms of MS indie supporting/publishing has a serious eye, beginning with Dust, to Ori, and now Cuphead

EDIT:
I like how you edited your post to admit it "looks like an excellent game" and now you edited again to remove that. 😂
EDIT2: ooiooh you put it back

This post is hilarious. I added that it looks like an excellent game and never removed it after adding. I didn't "admit" anything. I never depputed that it looks great or excellent. What I edited the second time was the Top 10 thing compared to being Top 5.

Nice try.

watdaeff4

This post is hilarious. I added that it looks like an excellent game and never removed it after adding. I didn't "admit" anything. I never depputed that it looks great or excellent. What I edited the second time was the Top 10 thing compared to being Top 5.

Nice try.
Lol the fact you feel the need to respond pretty much tells it

I'm done. Good luck with your quest whatever it may be

This game is incredible.

Beautifully crafted and gameplay is rewarding as hell. The kind of game that I care about achievements in.

Whoever’s choosing what to grab in terms of MS indie supporting/publishing has a serious eye, beginning with Dust, to Ori, and now Cuphead

Truly a masterpiece. I can't put it down even after failing for an hour at a time in some cases.

Do you seriously judge a game (or anything else) a masterpiece based on an MC score?

Exactly. Dunkirk, with its 94 Metacritic score, should by all means be a masterpiece, but I found it wildly overrated.

Mother! is the only masterpiece I've seen in theaters this year, and it only has 74.

Hell, Dark Souls only has an 89, but it is undoubtedly in my top 3 favorite games of all time and considered by many game journalists to be a masterpiece.

I also think Breath of the Wild doesn't exactly deserve its 97, either.

It's all relative. A high score on Metacritic is certainly not the end all of whether a game or any other work of art is a masterpiece.

The fact that I corrected your incorrect and rude statement "tells it"? lol ok then.

Bro a masterpiece is something, often, that everyone will never love. Amazing craftsmanship with notable flaws that makes it unique. Like someone above said; Darksouls. It was a very flawed game, but still to this day can only be replicated by its master itself.

I haven't played Cuphead head yet, but it looks like a masterpiece, lol. Yes, there are only a couple games to receive a status a generation.. but there is nothing stopping this game from receiving such a title. The only way for me to find out is to play it.

But it damn sure does not have to hit an arbitrary number to be considered a work of art.

Exactly. Dunkirk, with its 94 Metacritic score, should by all means be a masterpiece, but I found it wildly overrated.

Mother! is the only masterpiece I've seen in theaters this year, and it only has 74.

Hell, Dark Souls only has an 89, but it is undoubtedly in my top 3 favorite games of all time and considered by many game journalists to be a masterpiece.

I also think Breath of the Wild doesn't exactly deserve its 97, either.

It's all relative. A high score on Metacritic is certainly not the end all of whether a game or any other work of art is a masterpiece.

Very good points.. didn't want to steal them all. 🤗

sneas78

Banned
Need this on switch
I recorded some gameplay on my GPD WIN and uploaded to YouTube. It’s plays very well. So I do believe it would be perfect for switch.

My handheld pc gameplay:

I’m not very good.. trying to hold the camera and play with both hands .. but it plays perfect and it looks great.
Just wanted to show other people here that have the gpd win... that it plays very well. From what I played it was a solid 60fps.

https://youtu.be/4jnedN-Vcz0

Spman2099

I recorded some gameplay on my GPD WIN and uploaded to YouTube. It's plays very well. So I do believe it would be perfect for switch.

My handheld pc gameplay:

I'm not very good.. trying to hold the camera and play with both hands .. but it plays perfect and it looks great.
Just wanted to show other people here that have the gpd win... that it plays very well. From what I played it was a solid 60fps.

https://youtu.be/4jnedN-Vcz0

That is really cool, man. I think the GPD WIN looks a little clunky, but the idea of Cuphead on the go is pretty exciting.

*edit*
I erased my previous comment because it is something I had already replied to weeks ago. Whoops.

Top Bottom