• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Steam icons for Grid View

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Okay, figured it out. I just set the Dark Souls profile for both .exes (data and dark souls), and now I've set other profiles that toggle on and off with corresponding games. Awesome.

The bad news is that Steam keeps deleting the custom banners every time it updates. Is there a way to prevent this? Otherwise these custom banners will never stick.

Edit: My custom icons carried over with the latest update, so maybe this has been fixed on Steam's end. I hope so.

I'd like to request some SNES icons I don't see in the banner site.

Super Punch-Out

TMNT: Turtles in Time

Power Rangers

Batman Returns

X-Men Mutant Apocalypse

Whenever you add a new game, exit steam and restart it before you add the picture. It should not disappear anymore. Have no idea what causes it.

SOLDIER

Whenever you add a new game, exit steam and restart it before you add the picture. It should not disappear anymore. Have no idea what causes it.

That actually got fixed on its own with the last update. Steam no longer deletes custom icons or games.

xemumanic

Nice, I had no clue you could change the grid view icons! I have a feeling I'll be making quite a few of these over the next few days, ha.

Here's one for Kamui that I slapped together.

gEezp.png

Thank you SO MUCH. Of all the ones I thought I wouldn't find.........
It's also the last one I needed.

I've tried everything and can't figure out how to add these pictures in. I'm in the beta because I have big picture mode which is why I was trying to get these pictures to work. I don't seem to have the option anywhere on games to add in custom image. Not when I right click on them or go into the details.

Nabs

I've tried everything and can't figure out how to add these pictures in. I'm in the beta because I have big picture mode which is why I was trying to get these pictures to work. I don't seem to have the option anywhere on games to add in custom image. Not when I right click on them or go into the details.

Are you in Grid View?

Where does steam store the banners for existing steam games?

The reason - I have set up multiple instances of zdoom (add non steam game) for heretic, hexen, and doom, so that I don't have to use mouse driven menu selections (BPM). I have each zdoom set with its own picture of heretic, hexen and doom, but I am using the banners from the store page and they are lower res than the actual banners used for those games. I can't for the life of me find where the actual full res banners are for steam games.

Rich246

Neo Member
Bad Piggies:
8o7Fk.jpg

2 for Create:
cHkLo.jpg

TnHxn.jpg

The Sims Medieval:
36zkX.jpg

*The Sims 3 Diesel Stuff Pack:
7OLBw.jpg

*The Sims 3 Katy Perry's Sweet Treats:
c0AaZ.jpg

*The Sims 3: Supernatural:
cI9Ay.jpg

* I only did these 3, because as of this posting they're not available on Steam.

was looking through the thread and you can even hook up emulator shortcuts into steam?!?!?!?!?!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

can someone explain/give link how to do that?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
was looking through the thread and you can even hook up emulator shortcuts into steam?!?!?!?!?!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

can someone explain/give link how to do that?

Using an emulator with steam: (Gonna use zsnes as an example)

1. The first thing you must do is associate the rom files with the emulator. This allows you to launch the emulator and rom in one go.

Right click Rom>Properties>Change>Select Zsnes and make sure the box at the bottom is ticked.

2. Now you need to add the game to steam. There are a few ways to do this. Steam will generally not allow you to add a file unless it ends in .exe or .bat

First method is to change the rom into an exe file. Example: "Action52.smc" will now become "Action52.smc.exe" You must uncheck "Hide files extensions" in the folder options settings. Start>Control Panel>Appearances>Folder Options. You can now add the rom to steam. Just remember to take off the .exe extension once it is added, from both the file name and the steam target link.

Second Method is to add any exe file to steam, Right click the program name in steam, and change the target of the rom you wish to load.

Example. C:\Aol.exe is now "C:\Users\SN\Desktop\Gaming\Zsnes\Action52.smc

Using an emulator with steam: (Gonna use zsnes as an example)

1. The first thing you must do is associate the rom files with the emulator. This allows you to launch the emulator and rom in one go.

Right click Rom>Properties>Change>Select Zsnes and make sure the box at the bottom is ticked.

2. Now you need to add the game to steam. There are a few ways to do this. Steam will generally not allow you to add a file unless it ends in .exe or .bat

First method is to change the rom into an exe file. Example: "Action52.smc" will now become "Action52.smc.exe" You must uncheck "Hide files extensions" in the folder options settings. Start>Control Panel>Appearances>Folder Options. You can now add the rom to steam. Just remember to take off the .exe extension once it is added, from both the file name and the steam target link.

Second Method is to add any exe file to steam, Right click the program name in steam, and change the target of the rom you wish to load.

Example. C:\Aol.exe is now "C:\Users\SN\Desktop\Gaming\Zsnes\Action52.smc

Going to try this soon

Thank you so so so much for the write up I really appreciate the work you did for just asking this out of the blue!

Rich246

Neo Member
Hahahahah, I knew somewhere in the back of my mind people would comment on that, I made it as an option for people who want to run the The Sims 3 retail on Steam and make it look legit :p

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are they looking to patch this functionality into the List view? It seems like it would be pretty trivial to do.

surly

Banned
I had no idea you could do this in grid view! I was trying to do it a while back with Trackmania 2 and now I can and I have a nice icon to use as well. Thanks. :D

Ice Mage

Neo Member
Hmm, I'm looking for an icon (perhaps the original one?) for Prince of Persia (2008). Could someone possibly help, please?

Top Bottom