• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Wii U launch supply in UK as low as 25000 units

nickcv

mock and lock if old

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ight-wii-u-stock-as-uk-retail-fears-shortage/

A retail source connected to the matter told CVG that the group does not have enough Wii U units to fulfill pre-orders.

The 25,000 figure they provided was then put to a distribution source working at a separate retailer, who said the number was "in line with our estimates".

A Nintendo UK rep told CVG, "Wii U stock levels will be tight on day one," before adding, "However we will be providing retailers with regular stock deliveries in the run up to Christmas in order to meet demand as quickly as possible."

antonz

Possible but it seems odd with the numbers Nintendo is planning for the fiscal year unless production started really slow and they plan a massive backend flood to retail

MormaPope

Banned
Can't wait to hear how many people were trampled to death to play 3rd party ports and NSMBU/Zombie U.

Please people from Gaf don't die over this

freddy

Banned
CVG posts a lot of speculation and just pure made-up bullshit. :)

Also, made-up or not, the article says 25k units for 1 retailer not all of UK.

The 25,000 figure they provided was then put to a distribution source working at a separate retailer, who said the number was "in line with our estimates".

However, a third source at another UK retail chain said his team was expecting the UK to receive "anything between 75,000 and 100,000 units during the launch period".

antonz

25,000 if accurate indicates either production issues or a stock being spread out much more across Europe because Wii sold 105K units its first weekend in the UK

Yields are going to be low. With most console launches demand far outstrips supply, so this will be an endemic problem with all but the most massively expensive consoles.

They don't want to lose too much money.

That's rather a silly statement. The idea of a loss leading console is to get it into as many houses as possible and recoup costs with software. Not selling the hardware defeats this intention.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
MCV is saying something similar...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/u-will-get-stock-eventually/0105295

Wii U stock will be in short supply on day one, Nintendo has admitted.

But the firm insists it will be making regular deliveries right up until Christmas in an effort to meet demand.

Independent retailers this week told MCV they were unable to obtain enough Wii U consoles to meet pre-order figures.One unnamed indie even claimed he was being advised ‘to shop at Tesco or GAME for stock.'

AndTAR

Wow, sure doesn't sound like a lot.

I guess some pre-orders aren't day one certain, then. Hoping my Amazon order from June is, though.

Makes me glad I'm not particularly bothered about getting one during launch. Getting a Wii in its launch window was like some sort of quest for the Holy Grail.

I'll always remember one Game store clerks reply.
"When do you think you'll be sold out?"
"When we sell them all."

Sarcastic bastard. Ah well, his shop's closed down now!

Even when something is less than 1 page long its surprising how few people bother to read the posts around. I understand sometimes people don't have the time but it does always surprise me the frequency of these things.

kitsuneyo

So all those profit-making WiiU launch games are going to be left gathering dust on the shelves if this is true. Which I don't believe for a second that it is. CVG's reporting stinks.

i thought the preorders were all sold out #shitstirring ;)

Probably no pre-orders at Tesco, not the kind of thing they do.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
One unnamed indie even claimed he was being advised ‘to shop at Tesco or GAME for stock.'

there's a hell of a lot of these rumours about low stocks - perhaps it's an attempt to get the interest preorder fear up in the run up to launch?

Striek

Seems doubtful, that would be unprecedently low.
CVG posts a lot of speculation and just pure made-up bullshit. :)

Also, made-up or not, the article says 25k units for 1 retailer not all of UK.

Uhm the article says for 1 retailer. NOT all of UK.

Reads more like one retailer thinks the whole UK will get 25k, another agrees, but yet another retailer thinks it'll be significantly more (or might just define launch "period" differently).

there's a hell of a lot of these rumours about low stocks - perhaps it's an attempt to get the interest preorder fear up in the run up to launch?

There does sound to be low stock, we heard problems pretty early on. Just the OP is entirely reading this wrong, its not anywhere near as low as they seem to think.

Of course it is. Everyone in the supply chain benefits from guaranteed sales.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Typical Nintendo strategy. Understock during launch window to generate buzz / make it look like it's an hot item.

Or their production plans/lines just suck. (which I doubt)

Kouriozan

Typical Nintendo strategy. Understock during launch window to generate buzz / make it look like it's an hot item.

Or their production plans/lines just suck. (which I doubt)

And you think Wii's launch shipment was lower than PS3/Xbox360?
images

It's an easy way to guarantee day 1 sold out news. ;)

Yeah, but they won't get to crow about 'fastest selling UK console' or whatever if they undership, and that's a record nearly every new machine has achieved for years..

this shows how down in the dumps Nintendo thinks the UK market is (if true, of course)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope that isn't true, because online stores in particular dint seem to have restricted preorders. If true I can see a lot of pissed off people getting delay notices

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah, but they won't get to crow about 'fastest selling UK console' or whatever if they undership, and that's a record nearly every new machine has achieved for years..

this shows how down in the dumps Nintendo thinks the UK market is (if true, of course)
I think it's more important for Nintendo that it keeps momentum until Boxing Day in the UK. It can be fastest selling console in other regions.

I hope that isn't true, because online stores in particular dint seem to have restricted preorders. If true I can see a lot of pissed off people getting delay notices

I hope the same. I didn't pre-order online but instead pre-ordered in a game store and put down a deposit. I won't be at all happy if I'm told there isn't one for me even after I put a down a deposit.

Probably no pre-orders at Tesco, not the kind of thing they do.

You can pre-order from Tesco. They are still this very morning listing the Wii U as available to pre-order for delivery on launch day.

I went for the ZombiU console bundle from Zavvi. I am prepared for disappointment come the fateful day...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes, but will Brad Pitt be here to sell them to us?
Dohohohoho.

A slip of paper that becomes meaningless when the hordes come...
Well that's certainly one way to kill customer satisfaction.

I actually stopped going to a branch of GAME when they said they wouldn't fulfil my game preorder because I hadn't preordered the console as well. Well I went back to pick up the order later, but that was the last time I went there. I'd been using that branch for about seven years at that point.

Wurd. I will kill Sainsburys if I don't get mine. All of it.
Yeah. My local better watch out. I may go in there and swap some of the sandwiches around. That'll show 'em!

A quick look and at seems retailers do seem to have restricted pre orders, I just checked 3 and none of them had all the choices available

Top Bottom