• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - An ode to one of the best games ever

diffusionx

Gold Member
Cyberpunk is incredible. World design, story, dialogue, character design, facial animations, quests, and Phantom Liberty is ann excellent expansion. I still remember the night I popped in the game and ended up playing it for eight hours, I *never* do that anymore, ever. I was just totally transfixed.

I wish CDPR just canned the last gen versions and delayed the game another year. They really did the people who made the game a disservice.

Raven117

It was greed, they wanted to go for the huge Gen 8 install base but it came back to bite em in the ass.
Well, considering they have shareholders and a board… it may not have been only their call.

It’s a company. A company is supposed to make moneyZ

Gp1

It was a great game even on 1.0 because the writing was awesome (as it is in every CDPR game) with a truckload of great characters.

All thanks to the
4ko8czf.png

makaveli60

Star ending as a Nomad V lives in my head rent-free. Terrific experience despite the very rough start and some unfixed jank.

Also, CP2077 is the most visually stunning interactive city I know, made like 1200+ screenshots during my runs.
I0NoiPq.jpeg
Yep. I went with Nomad, but I got the Sun ending for first which wasn’t too bad but Star ending is definitely my head canon. Actually all the endings are awesome in their own way and add a LOT to the game. Even the “worst” ending. I think it’s really worth it to check out all endings.

RavageX

*struts in*

The game was a massive let down for me other than graphics. I found the story lame after the the initial "main" story missions. Some side quests were ok but not anything amazing. Exploration? Nah.

IF played in VR it might be worthwhile for the experience.

Overrated definitely but most games are these days.

Plus after the way they initially handled the game, I no longer consider them a favorite.

Cyberpunk is incredible. World design, story, dialogue, character design, facial animations, quests, and Phantom Liberty is ann excellent expansion. I still remember the night I popped in the game and ended up playing it for eight hours, I *never* do that anymore, ever. I was just totally transfixed.

I wish CDPR just canned the last gen versions and delayed the game another year. They really did the people who made the game a disservice.

I too remember that first night I played it. It was around 10pm I popped it in on launch day. It was snowing.

Those first few hours were among some of the best in gaming history. The car ride through rainy Night City.

Played on XSX so I never experienced any of the issues that were prevalent on other hardware.

Game is one of the top 3 best games I've ever played. Shame they stopped at one expansion, can't wait for more.

calistan

Do it, mate! Just give it time, let yourself be immersed in its world (just explore freely, read the ads, browse the websites, read the notes you can find etc.). If you get to know it you can be a literal half-god compared to how you start.
Would you recommend getting the DLC and doing the whole thing in one go? Or is that a separate campaign for after you finish the main story?

I think the DLC was garbage, most of the characters were boring DEI pandering and the story went nowhere, completely pointless.

edit: Dogtown also never clicked with me as a location, really didn't like it.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Would you recommend getting the DLC and doing the whole thing in one go? Or is that a separate campaign for after you finish the main story?
Yes, definitely get the DLC! It‘s fully integrated in the main game. Your decisions in the main game affect it and vica versa (mostly minor things but really cool, like a character commenting acknowledging you in the dlc if you alredy met her in the main game or vica versa). It also adds some really cool new weapons and cyberware, new cars, etc. But I suggest starting the main game first and progressing to see if you really like it. The best to start the dlc storywise is I think is when you are close to the ending in the main game anyway.

edit: I wanted to add that it’s enough to buy it after you decided if you really like the main game, but if you do then it’s a must buy

Last edited:
I think the DLC was garbage, most of the characters were boring DEI pandering and the story went nowhere, completely pointless.

Shame, CP really shone the brightest in Phantom.

Graphics were amazing, too.

Didn't care so much for the narrative, it felt over the top despite what had already been established, plotwise, in the core game.

Wild ride, though.

nkarafo

Kinda bothers me you can't fly in this game somehow. Like there are no flying vehicles you can use, despite those being all over the sky by NPCs. So flying doesn't seem like a big deal in this futuristic city, lore wise, but your character never bothers with it, even thought it would be a massive convenience?

Is that explained somehow? I only played for a few hours so far and waiting for a new PC build to continue.

Also, it seems there are ways to cheese the game and actually be able to fly on NPC flying vehicles (or use mods) but the city is not designed to be viewed from every possible angle and it looks weird/unfinished when you are at a spot where you are not supposed to be. Which means the city is nice and all but it's also a prop. Which is true for most big city games but more so for this one.

teraflops

Neo Member
Yup. I played it on PC at launch and even then it was one of my favorite games ever made. I played it again from that start(which I very rarely do) after the 2.0 release for Phantom Liberty and it easily became my favorite game ever. I put 200 hours into it on my 2nd playthrough and was genuinely sad when there was nothing left in the world to do. The only other game world that comes close for me is Red Dead 2.

Star ending as a Nomad V lives in my head rent-free. Terrific experience despite the very rough start and some unfixed jank.

Also, CP2077 is the most visually stunning interactive city I know, made like 1200+ screenshots during my runs.
I0NoiPq.jpeg

Finished the secret Tower ending recently and thought it was really good surpassing the Afterlife one I got back in 2020. V
lives but as a normie who cant chrome jack shit, in my head, she took the offered FIA job and became a handler.

Kinda bothers me you can't fly in this game somehow. Like there are no flying vehicles you can use, despite those being all over the sky by NPCs. So flying doesn't seem like a big deal in this futuristic city, lore wise, but your character never bothers with it, even thought it would be a massive convenience?

Is that explained somehow? I only played for a few hours so far and waiting for a new PC build to continue.

Also, it seems there are ways to cheese the game and actually be able to fly on NPC flying vehicles (or use mods) but the city is not designed to be viewed from every possible angle and it looks weird/unfinished when you are at a spot where you are not supposed to be. Which means the city is nice and all but it's also a prop. Which is true for most big city games but more so for this one.
Overall impression I get is that only the mega-rich can afford AVs.

EVs are more expensive than CVs, so it tracks that a vehicle that can fly will be out of reach for most of the population.

sigmaZ

Is this the new meta thing? Every time a black character is in a game its DEI pandering? Are you fucking stupid?
This is especially odd given the main game.
I guess people really hate minorities in their games.
If you truly don't like DEI in games, it's more rational to have a clear delineation of where the line is instead if just assuming bad actors all the time making yourself paranoid. (Or just be clear you dont want minorites in your games if that's your thing). There are games and movies that are clearly pushing agendas but it typically shows in the bad writing they have.
None of Phantom Liberty felt like that to me. Idris fits perfectly and brilliantly performs his role and all the caharacters male and female feel equally vunerable or capable of evil.
If they had made his character a black non-binary with a sceptic nosering who talks about oppression all the time, I personal would skip the game as I would then see it as containing propaganda which I'm not interested in.
(Spiderman 2 did this for example quite a bit unexpectedly in places).

Last edited:

calistan

How is the DLC integrated into the game? I'm going to buy it to kickstart my new attempt to get properly into the game, but where would I actually trigger the new stuff with Idris Elba? Like, is it a quest giver somewhere, or a new menu option?

diffusionx

Gold Member
How is the DLC integrated into the game? I'm going to buy it to kickstart my new attempt to get properly into the game, but where would I actually trigger the new stuff with Idris Elba? Like, is it a quest giver somewhere, or a new menu option?
It's a quest giver that directs you to a new area of the game. I think you have to reach a certain part of the story before the opening quest triggers. I think it's when you get to the Voodoo Boys stuff.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Game was trash at launch and is still trash. CDPR is still Eurojank and not even good Eurojank.
Eurojank? 🤦‍♂️People in certain regions can't live without labeling everything. They are like animals who have to piss something so they could claim ownership.

Sushi_Combo

Just say you hate seeing black people and female leads in your games.

nkarafo

Overall impression I get is that only the mega-rich can afford AVs.

EVs are more expensive than CVs, so it tracks that a vehicle that can fly will be out of reach for most of the population.
Affordability shouldn't be an issue in a game where you can hijack or steal things.

Helicopters and planes are also expensive but your average GTA protagonist can still hijack them, they don't need to afford them.

Affordability shouldn't be an issue in a game where you can hijack or steal things.

Helicopters and planes are also expensive but your average GTA protagonist can still hijack them, they don't need to afford them.

I thought you were looking for a practical explanation.

From a technical perspective, they barely had the game running, as is, and the ability to move through the air on a whim would break everything.

As you said, we'd see all types of things we weren't meant to see, and discover how hollow Night City really is.

Laptop1991

The last brand new game i bought, CP2077 ran fine for me when i got it and it was cheap because of the backlash it got and it got even better with the Phantom Liberty dlc, it is a great game.

Is this the new meta thing? Every time a black character is in a game its DEI pandering? Are you fucking stupid?
When almost all the characters are boring girl bosses and the only white male in sight is the villain, it sure is outrageous to question the motives in current year. Get your consoomer brain checked if you fail to see this.

Not even talking about Idris, he was decent.

Edit: Here you go

Last edited:
When almost all the characters are boring girl bosses and the only white male in sight is the villain, it sure is outrageous to question the motives in current year. Get your consoomer brain checked if you fail to see this.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Were you born yesterday? If Bad Boys would release Today in cinema you'd complain like an idiot same as you did now because your brain has been washed by extremists online. Its either far right or far left, why cant you people just be fucking normal.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Were you born yesterday? If Bad Boys would release Today in cinema you'd complain like an idiot same as you did now because your brain has been washed by extremists online. Its either far right or far left, why cant you people just be fucking normal.
Yet you see me provide literal evidence but instead decide to close your eyes to consoom and defend the video game. Tell me who is brain washed?

You are literally blind if you don't see the change in tone from the (mostly) excellent main game to the DLC. The only half-way interesting characters in the whole of Phantom Liberty were the French twins.

ungalo

The only half-way interesting characters in the whole of Phantom Liberty were the French twins.
The main characters of the DLC are interesting. Although looking back i was slightly disappointed by the tone of the DLC. The endings and personal stuff connect well with the main game but most of the DLC with the James Bond atmosphere and the suddenly very high stakes doesn't. The new area is gorgeous but the quests are more "in your face", less subtle than the main game i think.

kyussman

It's a shame they took me for a fool with the original PS4 release by hiding it away because they knew it was broken......they sold it anyway hoping I wouldn't notice.....now they have lost my business.

Yet you see me provide literal evidence

That was no evidence. Thats just insanity. Get the fuck out.
The only half-way interesting characters in the whole of Phantom Liberty were the French twins.

So the DLC isnt just black-washing/dei huh? Brother, outside of the DLC, the main protagonist is a white guy. The main antagonists are Japanese. Most of the characters are latin/white. We get one black character in DLC and a black chick that cant even be romanced, both amazingly written, and now the whole shit is WOKE???. Fucking lmao. Piss off. Blocked.

Last edited:

makaveli60

So linking official CDPR material is insanity and sends you into a fit of rage. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Great poster.

You trying to argue semantics does not change anything.
I understand where you are coming from, trust me, you can hardly find anyone here who is more sick of this DEI bullshit, for many reasons. But I feel that CDPR didn’t cross the insanity/racist lane and they didn’t try to lecture me about this bullshit. They just made the main characters of the DLC different ethnic. Yep, the main antagonist is white, but actually there are no clear cut good guys in this story, the opposite actually. So I don’t think it’s fair to even mention this on the same page of other modern shit. However, what I fear is that the next game will be full on board and will be fully infested with the woke virus. But as we are seeing the pendulum swinging back, by the time it releases maybe we will be lucky and things will be back to normal. Maybe...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
story went nowhere, completely pointless.
I agree with this bit for probably the whole game. Especially with how they stick to the blaze of glory or be a nobody ultimatum. I think the real enjoyable part of the game is actually all the sidequests they lead into more interesting quests akin to Witcher Contracts as opposed to Witcher's boring political intrigue and "Find the Princess" overarching story.

What I would give to just be a Maxtac Operative.

hussar16

Tbat you only played witcher 2 for 1 hour yet are obsessed with cyberpunk i already know i dont like your take. Witcher 2 was actually the best cdred game.only few know

makaveli60

Tbat you only played witcher 2 for 1 hour yet are obsessed with cyberpunk i already know i dont like your take. Witcher 2 was actually the best cdred game.only few know
I don’t want to say anything about Witcher 2. Maybe it indeed is their best game, I just felt that its world wasn’t really for me. But because of CP I am planning to give a shot for the third game.

Dazraell

Have you even watched that video?

This is literally not an evidence at all. They were talking about social issues they were tackling ever since Witcher 1 and them being important for their stories and treating them in ways that are mature and thought-provoking. It doesn't mean they will shove in the same bullshit that Insomniac shoved in Spider-Man 2

I don't like DEI crap as a lot of people here, but let's not go into delusional territory

Boralf

I think it's a great game, but found Phantom Liberty a bit disappointing. I wasn't interested in any of the characters and the main story there and the amount of content seems rather small compared to the base game.

When this was announced in 2013, I was going through a radical change in my life due to the loss of someone. Little did I know 8 years later this game would be about accepting death and making the most of it with the remaining time you have.

I love the cyberpunk genre, and that first teaser got me really excited. Fast forward to the PR machine in full force a couple years prior to the release of the game and I was completely sold. Bought the artbook, the comics and even a 3090 to play it.

Then the release was live and total deception arrived. Hell it even killed the little faith I had in modern gaming. But I endured, considered it as a rough beta.

3 years later with the dlc and I finally played the entire story (was waiting to play all the campaign for when the game was considered done), and after all the roughness, critics and wait, it was worth it.

Not the second coming of christ or the revolution of videogames, but damn it's a good rocker, and quite better than most of the rest in terms of npc dialogue and telling a story

Sensates

My standards are different, since my favorite is Fallout 1, 2, VTMB, when you give me stats and dialogue choices, I expect different outcomes. Not happening here.

The Characters, dialogues bores me to hell. Despite all the flashy attires and attempted coolness none of them is memorable. I skipped the dialogues most time as I don't find the VA is great or particularly persuasive. The writing isn't good either, I felt bad reading those conversation logs because each of them is hardly relevant and I know probably a waste of time.

Atmospheric? To a point. I eventually get bored of how everything looks and there seems to be little to no depth and lore behind it. What really kills the atmosphere is the AI. Still dumb and erratic after years or patching.

I guess in the end my expectation is just too much. With the Witcher at least there are good characters and a rich lore, this is to me probably as empty as any other half hearted games out there but behind a AAA budget and marketing, Forgettable.

timothet

I think it's a great game, but found Phantom Liberty a bit disappointing. I wasn't interested in any of the characters and the main story there and the amount of content seems rather small compared to the base game.
PL is 20 to 30 hour expansion with side content. Base game is like 60h if you are not completionist and ommit more mundane side stuff like NCPD scanners. I wouldn't call PL small in comparison to base game. Especially since side content in PL is more "meaty" than base game's.

Last edited:

Cyborg

No matter how good the game is, the devs and the c-lvl management all lied to your faces. Supporting this game is just giving them a free pass to do it once again.

Top Bottom