• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: development in full swing

skypunch

Banned
If it controls as shit as Witcher 3, I'll skip it. No excuse to release games this ambitious with controls this laughable again. They should absolutely focus more on this.

I never had any problems with the controls. They were a bit clunky at first, but then CDPR added another control scheme in a patch which made the controls 10x better. Never had a problem with the combat, either. I find it good enough, and it's quite cinematic which I really like.

I think some gamers are just more tolerant than other gamers. There's a lot of gamers who are just too demanding; the kind of people who would huff 'n' puff at the restaurant waiter/waitress that they're steak wasn't placed next to their salad. Complete moaners and whiners!

Wolfe

Somewhat amusing seeing some of the (imo obviously) hyperbolic complaints about the controls and character movement.

Sure the movement is a little awkward at times, particularly while on Roach, but to the point of saying you'll skip the next game based on them? Lol ok, don't play it then.

I actually had no idea they patched in a alternate movement setting (just picked up the game a week or so ago, only just hit Velen and met the BB recently), but hearing that it makes Geralt less weighty instantly turns me off from it as I enjoy when games give adequate weight to characters/objects within the world, particularly if it's going to be something I will be in direct control of.

I will still try out the new controls (may even end up preferring them, who knows) but I didn't feel there was a need for any prior to learning of their existence.

I know it's easy to point out games that have done it better, but name me one game in that position that isn't a direct result of years and years of prior game development and releases. Each dev in that situation has the chance to learn and tweak over time, CDPR is in that learning position as we speak (not that other devs ever "leave" this place, they've just had more time and experience to compile on top of what they've previously done. Sure it's easy to point out "why don't they just copy X game?", well if it was me, regardless of how many influences I'm using to get there, I would still want it to be my own unique creation. Even if that creation ends up being not as good as it could have been, imo that's part of the learning process.

That said I do find the combat to be a bit dull so far, feels like a retread of AC:U (the only AC I've played) basically. While I enjoyed the AC:U combat it felt more refined than it does in W3.

Picking up loot is awkward at times yes, but so is mounting a horse or talking to an NPC. To me this has nothing to do with controls and more the system used to initiate these button prompts which is tied into the camera and where it is currently looking.

If anything the state of the systems in W3 make me even more excited for CP2077 given where CDPR comes from in respect to W1 and 2 and the growth they've achieved on the backs of those games.

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it as my limited time with W3 so far has far exceeded my expectations of the game going in.

Budi

While i'm thirsty for more Witcher, I welcome something new! Not that familiar with Cyberpunk besides Deus Ex, so looking forward to this! Maybe Gwent will help with the Witcher thirst.

Certainly...one way to see things I guess.

People, is everybody aware that prompting CDPR to improve on their next game's controls benefits everyone? If the way Geralt moved and fought didn't bother you too much, surely you will respect the fact that a lot of others did and yearn for improvement? I have no idea why everybody feels so personally insulted when I point out the game's flawed controls and combat. I personally found them outright shit, others weren't bothered by them; the truth is probably somewhere inbetween but certainly, we can agree there's a lot of room for improvement. There have been dozens of threads even on GAF about it. It's for everybody to see.

"It's a big open world RPG so it can't have controls as tight and responsive as Soulsborne!" (and variations of that statement) is certainly the laziest excuse I've seen. Dragon's Dogma's controls are exactly as good as any of the Souls games' so please.

Saying "it's shit" isn't helpful at all. But yes I agree that when any area of game is improved it's benefical to the player ofcourse. They even listened to the feedback and added additional movement setting not that far after launch. And you are propably correct when you say the truth is in between, it's not shit and it's not excellent. It's okay, which is less than we except from game as high quality that Witcher 3 is.

I don't follow Soulsborne or Dragon's Dogma threads usually. But do people go there to post "Souls story is shit, X is much better, Soulsborne should be more like this."? I honestly don't know. But seeing once again to the same complaint pop up when it's not even directly Witcher 3 thread, makes me wonder. To me it feels that the succes of Witcher 3 is a personal insult to Souls fans, "Bloodborne was robbed" in Goty threads and the constant hyperbole in W3 threads.

Unai

While i'm thirsty for more Witcher, I welcome something new! Not that familiar with Cyberpunk besides Deus Ex, so looking forward to this! Maybe Gwent will help with the Witcher thirst.

Saying "it's shit" isn't helpful at all. But yes I agree that when any area of game is improved it's benefical to the player ofcourse. They even listened to the feedback and added additional movement setting not that far after launch. And you are propably correct when you say the truth is in between, it's not shit and it's not excellent. It's okay, which is less than we except from game as high quality that Witcher 3 is.

I don't follow Soulsborne or Dragon's Dogma threads usually. But do people go there to post "Souls story is shit, X is much better, Soulsborne should be more like this."? I honestly don't know. But seeing once again to the same complaint pop up when it's not even directly Witcher 3 thread, makes me wonder. To me it feels that the succes of Witcher 3 is a personal insult to Souls fans, "Bloodborne was robbed" in Goty threads and the constant hyperbole in W3 threads.

Souls story is not shit, so it usually doesn't happen, no.

Budi

Souls story is not shit, so it usually doesn't happen, no.

Sure, i'm not familiar with it so can't comment. It was my mistake to be so specific with my made up quote. The point was that are there that kind of comparisons overall, doesn't need to be about story. Surely there's something "shit" in Souls games? If no, how can they improve without anything to criticise. Haven't Souls games improved at all between the games, any flaws haven't been fixed? Or does the discussion in those threads happen without bringin up other titles that should be copied?

Wolfe

Sure, i'm not familiar with it so can't comment. It was my mistake to be so specific with my made up quote. The point was that are there that kind of comparisons overall, doesn't need to be about story. Surely there's something "shit" in Souls games? If no, how can they improve without anything to criticise. Haven't Souls games improved at all between the games, any flaws haven't been fixed? Or does the discussion in those threads happen without bringin up other titles that should be copied?

I'm sure a lot of people either aren't aware of or don't think about the fact that the souls game themselves (as an example, Metal Gear also works as it seems to be brought up in this thread a lot), starting with Demon's, is a result of From Softwares accumulative experience from all of their previous games. CDPR in comparison is a rather young dev in my eyes given they started out doing game translations and that the Witcher was their first game (afaik).

After
travelling to those worlds with Avellach,
I really want this to happen. They'll need to nerf her though.
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised that they had the opportunity to define her power levels translating her from book to game and they actually made her even more powerful.

We can take that for granted.

The Witcher series has proper reasons to be the way it is, but Cyberpunk is another thing altogether. Besides, have you seen the creator of the pnp game? I'm sure there's little to worry about.

I've never played The Witcher series and for real they ain't no black folks in it? What are these so called proper reasons btw?

Wolfe

Alright so I checked the settings and it turns out the alternative Movement Response setting is on by default on the complete edition, so I switched it off to play with the original settings for a bit to compare.

Can definitely tell the difference and do prefer the new setting but I do appreciate what they were trying to do. Reminded me of the movement in GTA IV and how Niko felt running around (and has some of the same issues I had with that). I definitely prefer that weighty realistic feel to the movement in certain games but it's easy to make it feel off and awkward.

And hell, the fact that they patched in the alternate setting only helps show that they take the issue seriously and are willing to accept player feedback and criticism. I still look forward to seeing what they end up doing and how it feels in the next game.

Jonm1010

Banned
There is one guy in witcher 1 aside from that I haven't seen anyone else.
Didn't Hearts of Stone kinda explain this? Or I guess rationalize it depending on how cynical you are?

It's set in an antiquity Nordic/Slavic setting. Which is kinda heavily populated by people of white complexion. Where nations are fairly self contained except when invaded or at war. There was a lot of ethnicities that weren't present in the game.

Plus the developers are Polish. It's kinda silly to both expect and hold them to expectations and ideals of American cultural norms with regards to ethnic representation in videogames.

I've never played The Witcher series and for real they ain't no black folks in it? What are these so called proper reasons btw?

The game is set in the northern regions where most of the people are white. Added to that, the region is in a state of political unrest with wars ongoing. With witches and non-humans being burned alive, you'd think that minorities would deem it wise to stay out of the goddamned region. You do see some traveling merchants and people from southern regions in Hearts of Stone, though. I'm more than certain Cyberpunk 2077 will have proper representation and diversity.

DemWalls

Not many, no. From the books, we know there are definitely non-white people in the world, in Zerrikania for example. But this nation is basically at the opposite end of the world with respect to the Northern Kingdoms, where the books/games take place, beyond some nearly insurmountable geographical barriers (eg: the immense Korath Desert). Besides, for all we know, they are a civilization more advanced than the Northern one, at least in some aspects, so what reasons could they have to venture there en masse, especially when there is a war going on? It's something just for the more adventurous types, and in fact in The Witcher 3's first DLC there are two Zerrikanian merchants (Arab-looking) who explain their reasons for taking such a perilous trip.

Let's say that CDP could have included some more diversity in human races (they've never been 100% faithful to the source material after all), but knowing the world it would have felt a bit forced, especially if they overdid it.

The whole reason this discussion was derailed by the control comment is that it was just an attempt at being a quick, snarky first post.

Sure, critique the controls. There's plenty of room for that. But just calling them shit, saying you'll skip the game and calling them "laughable" is laughable in of itself.

Lime

Has character creation been confirmed? And is it multiple genders?

I expect Spring 2018 at the earliest for this game.

Servbot24

Banned
There is character creation? That's disappointing. :(

If it controls as shit as Witcher 3, I'll skip it. No excuse to release games this ambitious with controls this laughable again. They should absolutely focus more on this.
I want to agree, but honestly the setting of W3 was a second thing which made me stop playing, was just too bland. If CP2077 is as cool as it seems it will be, I could probably get over the bad gameplay more easily. As you say though, why make such a huge game and then spoil it with something as fundamental as bad feeling gameplay.

There is character creation? That's disappointing. :(
They talked about "visual style" and "his or her" main problems in reference to the main character in an old IGN article. I guess it's possible that the "his or her" part was them being cryptic, but I took it as customization hints.

The visual style affecting the game sounds interesting. I guess I was hoping for a more set character profile to start with that we could then take off in dozens of directions. We'll see what they pop out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has character creation been confirmed? And is it multiple genders?

I expect Spring 2018 at the earliest for this game.

CDPR hasn't said anything of a traditional character creation tool in the vein of Elder Scrolls or Fallout, however class and customisation will play a large role in the game, which is effectively the same thing:

CVG said:
"As opposed to the regular fantasy set-up with mages, warriors and archers, we're going for something different," said Momot. "In Cyberpunk, each character role will offer a set of special skills that will impact your stats in many different ways. That's where the challenge kicks in, we want to create a game where character customization will be strongly tied with the plot. Now going from that, we believe that we can make a game where, with many different role choices, you will get a very strong, engaging story, just like it was with The Witcher."

He went on to say, "We definitely want to give players way more freedom with customization of the main protagonist then they had with Geralt in The Witcher series. We are planning on letting them change their statistics, equipment, implants and much more."
IGN said:
Character customisation, for instance, was necessarily not an option in Geralt’s world. But in Cyberpunk 2077, it’s self-defined role-playing: your style and personality will have deep and far-reaching effects on the world and how it reacts to you. “We will have several features that allow you to create your [visual] style, and your style will affect gameplay, storyline and relationships between characters,” explains creative director Sebastian Stepien. “Your appearance and your dress will change the behaviour of NPCs, and also the story also in some parts,” Mateusz adds. Style and appearance works together with the personality you create for your character and express in conversation to determine how the world reacts to you.

And this little comment suggests that gender selection will be possible:

IGN said:
“The psycho squad is just one of many cool elements in this world," Sebastian explains. “We had several ideas for this short teaser and had to focus on one of them. Augmentations and cyberware is a big subject in the world, and that’s why it’s in the teaser. But it won’t be a game about police hunting cyber-psychos. That’s a sub-plot… The story will be low-level. We are not going to save the world, or even save a city. We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems.”

Lime

They talked about that years ago.

Unfortunately.

Unfortunately?

CDPR hasn't said anything of a traditional character creation tool in the vein of Elder Scrolls or Fallout, however class and customisation will play a large role in the game, which is effectively the same thing:

And this little comment suggests that gender selection will be possible:

Thanks JaseC!

bidguy

Banned
player created characters are always bad for the story... they always turn out stiff and lifeless as opposed to fleshed out, specifically for the story created characters like geralt or whatever
hope its just a class system and not full player creation like fallout or skyrim

Bigrx1

Banned

And just like Witcher 3 it will be a smashing success regardless of the controls

Bigrx1

Banned
player created characters are always bad for the story... they always turn out stiff and lifeless as opposed to fleshed out, specifically for the story created characters like geralt or whatever
hope its just a class system and not full player creation like fallout or skyrim

true, but with the mass success of witcher 3 there is no way they will abandon that cash cow regardless of their "this likely is the last witcher" talk. yeah right. So we'll have that for detailed story at least even if this isn't as much. Probably will still be pretty good but yeah can never be as detailed.

That's why you don't try to force the player into a single narrative. Role-playing is about openness and making your own story. That's why it's a million times more interesting than following Swordy McSwingsalot around.

That's pretty much why I said unfortunately.

Faced with a choice between a pre-defined character with room for later customization and a totally empty shell for player projection, I'd rather take the pre-defined route. That route I think allows for more fleshed out characters and more depth in the story outcomes. Rather than accounting for all kinds of intersections of visual styles, gender options, job choices, etc, if you narrow some of the characteristics down, say to a Chinese-Latino female netrunner running a powerful information dealership, you've already got an interesting start to your game, and you can predicate the systems based on that background, rather than accounting for forty bajillion other shallow-ass "backgrounds."
"Please elaborate on what you mean" is what I meant with my question mark.
Complete character customization systems usually suck and add little of value to a game when compared to a well predefined character with room to customize and roleplay later.

Lime

Complete character customization systems usually suck and add little of value to a game when compared to a predefined character with room to customize later.

I agree, I also prefer predefined characters due to the depth of characterization, but we all know what type of character it'll be if it'll be a predefined one (scruffy white dude). I'd rather have character creation than Cyberpunk-Geralt, as I don't trust game developers to actually do something out of the norm.

Bl@de

Complete character customization systems usually suck and add little of value to a game when compared to a well predefined character with room to customize and roleplay later.

That's because most big games (for example Fallout 4) rely on "combat solves everything". And therefore character creation is usleess anyway. In RPGs that respect different classes and races it's a lot better with character creation (example: Vampire Bloodlines has vast differences in gameplay and dialogue for the different clans, making your journey unique). I want them to make a great RPG, so why settle for less. You can do a great story and character creation.

I agree, I also prefer predefined characters due to the depth of characterization, but we all know what type of character it'll be if it'll be a predefined one (scruffy white dude). I'd rather have character creation than Cyberpunk-Geralt, as I don't trust game developers to actually do something out of the norm.

I think it's easy enough to cleave apart appearance and character. TW3's story would have worked just as well and the interactions been just as effective if you could have created your own character, I think. And the choices you have are relatively significant.

I think it's easy enough to cleave apart appearance and character. TW3's story would have worked just as well and the interactions been just as effective if you could have created your own character, I think. And the choices you have are relatively significant.
You're playing a character with a distinct storyline that goes back two games, based on a pre-existing character from a series of novels. Making your own character would have been completely and totally idiotic.
That's because most big games (for example Fallout 4) rely on "combat solves everything". And therefore character creation is usleess anyway. In RPGs that respect different classes and races it's a lot better with character creation (example: Vampire Bloodlines has vast differences in gameplay and dialogue for the different clans, making your journey unique). I want them to make a great RPG, so why settle for less. You can do a great story and character creation.
That's true about the combat aspect sure.

I guess then there's a question of how many different visual styles, jobs/roles, races, sub-races (e.g. types of elves or ethnic human backgrounds), genders, etc you can allow a player to choose from before their in-game meaning becomes diluted and meaningless.

You're playing a character with a distinct storyline that goes back two games. Making your own character would have been idiotic.

2 games and a whole saga of books. It's not idiotic. It's fucking disastrous.

Shredderi

Yeah no. Two prior games to flesh out the character and the novels. Just no.

LogicStep

I can't believe some people say the clunky controls are just a perspective and preference thing. Seriously? I love the game but the controls sure could be tighter.. especially when trying to make short moves in a small area or riding Roach with him stopping over any little imperfection on the terrain..

Dalibor68

Banned
I don't care whether it's predefined characters or full customization, as long as it doesn't have any influence on the quality of story/dialogue system/choices.

I know this isn't really comparable because it's a different area but I still shudder when I think of Fallout 4's announcement of a voiced protagonist which everyone was superhyped about at first and then it turned out that the consequence was the whole dialogue system completely going to shit/becoming obsolete.

I don't know how they're gonna implement it, but we know that the game has multy,so character creation is a given

Unless the multy is separated, maybe ala MGSV

TW3 is one of my favorite games, but I often enjoyed it despite many flaws. I'm not too bothered because even its poorer aspects it was an amazing experience for me, and CDPR is improving from game to game in a way that might be a bit unique even.

That being said, I really do hope they'll improve the small number of active combat abilities, the straightforward and simple quest design (this might not be completely fair since the big side quests did have several stages with different choices, but I'd still like for them to be even more complex), the pointless loot (which by itself takes away a big incentive for exploration) and the balance.

I also won't mind at all if CP77 won't have its version of Witcher senses. I've many issues with Bethesda's open worlds, but one thing I love about them is that they haven't yet given in to the modern gaming trend of highlighting objects and things you can interact with. It's a really disappointing feature for me, which takes out a lot from the game. I also turned it off for DE:MD -- it makes me really look at everything in a room, and in the process it makes me pick up details about the environment that I probably would have missed if I just used the highlighting, and then went straight to the button or rifle or whatever. It doesn't help that in TW3 it wasn't used creatively in quests.

One last thing -- I'm not feeling good about the "option" to choose between 3rd and 1st person view. Games don't often get it right when focusing on just one of the views. So doing both? Doesn't reassure me.

That being said, maybe it changed. That's why I wrote it as "option" -- I suggest not taking anything said about the game as confirmation just yet. Especially news from years ago. I think all us gaming enthusiasts should know by now to take everything with more than a grain of salt. Things change in development. So I don't consider this two-viewpoint-options thing of CP77 as final, or even close to it. In fact, I hope they'll decide to focus on just one and refine it.

I don't know why everyone is getting on first post guy. I beat and enjoyed the game but I'm not gonna pretend Geralt didn't control like shit. Stiff, unresponsive movement is not fun for any game let alone an action RPG. The fact that they had to put out an "alternate" movement scheme (that didn't really help too much anyway) enough proof that the movement was shit.

Some people didn't get the memo that you can like/love a game while still admitting it's got issues.
I think it's because that post was so extreme that it just derails the thread. Look at it -- instead of going on for 6 pages about what CDPR can do better, in some detail, we're just going back and forth about "it's shit \ it's not shit" because GAF has an inclination for hyperbole. The impression I get is that people either don't know how, or are insecure about writing opinions without being extreme, maybe because it will get them less attention. Which I suppose is right -- first post has had most of the thread about his post. But it's not as it created an interesting discussion, so what is that attention worth?

Personally, I'm not even sure what he meant with "controls". Roach? Just moving in the world? Running? Sprinting? Jumping? Combat controls, or non-combat controls? What about the controls? Something so general and so dismissive isn't productive to discussion.

Guys just imagine for a second how CDPR has been getting better after every game. If W3 is already GOTN, the sky is the limit for Cyberpunk.
This is one of the main things I like about CDPR, the progress they make between each game. I can't think of many developers that are making the leaps they are, and with this level of success -- even if there are noticeable flaws still present. Who else out there is developing so quickly? (Honest question)

If they stick with the story that could be seen in the C2077 teaser trailer, we will play as that woman who became a psycho - a person who has lost her mind because of the presence of too much augmentations. Each Cyberpunk 2020 char has a "Empathy" stat and presence of each new augmentation lowers that stat. When it hits zero, char loses its connection with humanity, all those implants push their brain over the edge of insanity and starts a murderous rampage against ordinary humans around him. And since only heavily augmented people can lose their Empathy completely, they are usually though to stop. Most psychos are killed by elite police squads that can manage such crazy threats, but some surviving psychos are rehabilitated and turned into members of police Psycho Squads. At the end of the trailer, the girl is one of them.

Most likely we will play a new Psycho recruit, hopefully with a great backstory of what pushed him/her into insanity. That will give players a chance to enjoy a heavily agumented badass, who is an outcast [both as a police member and an ex-psycho] and a member of a organization that is pushed into bad situations all the time. Perfect for a main game protagonist.

edit-
http://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/Cyberpsychosis
http://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/Psycho_Squad
That's cool. I don't know anything about CP20 so I don't know what sets it apart from other CP franchises. This is a nice little window into the world.

We can take that for granted.

The Witcher series has proper reasons to be the way it is, but Cyberpunk is another thing altogether. Besides, have you seen the creator of the pnp game? I'm sure there's little to worry about.
Oh boy, you're opening a can of worms here. Retreat, retreat!

I hope CD Projekt Red shies away from making combat as frequent as in The Witcher. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a great example of an RPG set in an urban environment. There aren't enemies around every corner. Combat scenarios are used when necessary, but not overly so (The later stages in the game perhaps use it too much). I'd much rather see other forms of interaction, namely dialogue, exploration, and all manner of skill checks be more predominant.
Mmmmmh, VTMB. Hold on a moment, I need to go reinstall it.

I didn't feel as harassed by combat in TW3 as I did in DA:I. In the latter I honestly felt as if I couldn't walk a minute without combat. It was a bit mitigated in TW3 because you had roads to stick to where there usually weren't enemies, and Roach was fast enough to avoid combat if you wanted to off the path. But yeah, there was still a bit of an over-reliance on combat.

Generally speaking, one of the biggest things I want them to improve is the quest design. Many of TW3's quests were enjoyable to me only due to their writing rather than what I actually did, or how I chose to tackle them. I'm hoping for CP77 to have much more elaborate quest design, with many more ways of solving each thing and just more of a sand-boxy approach to solving situations.

2077 should be released with the launch of superior console Scorpio, sometime late next year. That is why is all that delay in the long ass development.
What delays? The reveal was to attract developers. They haven't started working on it in earnest before TW3 released.

This game will blow our fucking mind! No way CDPR will dissapoint.
Famous last words?

The wait is killing me. They shouldn't have shown this one trailer ,that was a bad desicion. You can say all you want about Bethesta and Fallout 4 but they did an awesome job how they announced the game.
The game is already so hyped up i hope they can meet the very high expectation.
At this point they have to make a better game than Witcher 3 which will be really hard.
Maybe. But TW3 has many flaws, so it's not as if they have no way to improve. Not nearly.

The major problem with combat in The Witcher III is they put all the intricate and interesting things about it behind a leveling system. There's just nothing there when you start, and only the hope of finding interesting characters and places gives you the motivation to keep grinding it out. It's like 35 hours in when you realize, hey, this combat system is pretty cool, because leveling happened and you got combat moves and sign abilities and utility skills. I hope they balance that better in Cyberpunk 2077.
Potions, decoctions, bombs and oils do make combat a bit more interesting, and I enjoy it, but most of them are just number adjustments. There are scarce little new moves and active abilities in TW3. Combat variety is not its forte, as much as I love the game, and I'm definitely hoping they'll improve that.

2021? The Witcher 3 was a great game and a great success, but it wasn't THAT successful. I don't really expect to see it earlier than 2018, but SIX YEARS after TW3? Bear in mind, TW3 was announced in 2012 and hit by May of 2015. This was announced a year afterwards--2017 is unrealistic but 2018-2019? C'mon. Especially when its got a larger group of people working on it than TW3 did.
I thought CP77 was announced in 2012 and TW3 in 2013, no?

I also feel like you, that TW3 seems to attract more shitposting than other games. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there are nearly as many people that enter threads of other games and shit over some aspect of them in one or two lines. Am I wrong? I also feel as if the shitposting about TW3 is way more exaggerated than the issues really are. It's the difference between "Dragon's Dogma's writing is just bland" and "Dragon's Dogma's writing is horseshit and I won't touch it again".

If I am wrong and it does happen in other threads of other games, it doesn't make it right, it just makes it a wider phenomenon of a really bad habit I hope will end.

I can imagine someone ready to reply that TW'3s problems are more important, as if there were some objective way to measure what is most important to all gamers world-wide. I suggest not trying to debate that, it's just pointless and more than a little condescending.

The whole reason this discussion was derailed by the control comment is that it was just an attempt at being a quick, snarky first post.

Sure, critique the controls. There's plenty of room for that. But just calling them shit, saying you'll skip the game and calling them "laughable" is laughable in of itself.
Yep, derailing is the word.

Edit: Holy shit this post. What am I doing with myself? I should really get back to studying.

Mivey

I know this isn't really comparable because it's a different area but I still shudder when I think of Fallout 4's announcement of a voiced protagonist which everyone was superhyped about at first and then it turned out that the consequence was the whole dialogue system completely going to shit/becoming obsolete.

Yes, because the riveting dialogue in Bethesdas game up to Fallout 4 was the stuff of legend. Beth never had good writing, well not since the days of Morrowind anywho.
CD Projekt is starting from a position of strength. Of course it will be a challenge to preserve the quality of writing with a user defined character, but Fallout NV has shown that it can in princiniple be done well. I am looking forward as to how CD Projekt will innovate in this area.

MadYarpen

Yeah, seriously. I didn't have any problems with controls.
Only troubles i had were with looting, from time to time. Like loot geralt, leave the candle alone pls. I know roach seems janky quite often but none of this was gamebraking at all. I'm not saying it was MGSV good, but... I would like to hear something new about the cyberpunk instead of this shit over and over again.

c0Zm1c

I can't believe some people say the clunky controls are just a perspective and preference thing. Seriously? I love the game but the controls sure could be tighter.. especially when trying to make short moves in a small area or riding Roach with him stopping over any little imperfection on the terrain..

That's probably why you can't believe it right there; not everyone feels the controls are clunky. It's funny reading such comments when, for me, Geralt is incredibly easy to control. It's like we're talking about different games, but I still think it's a controller versus keyboard and mouse thing.

Roach can be stubborn, I'll give you that. I don't use her. Except for occasions where I might want her in a screenshot haha.

LogicStep

That's probably why you can't believe it right there; not everyone feels the controls are clunky. It's funny reading such comments when, for me, Geralt is incredibly easy to control. It's like we're talking about different games, but I still think it's a controller versus keyboard and mouse thing.

Roach can be stubborn, I'll give you that. I don't use her. Except for occasions where I might want her in a screenshot haha.
Well, for 95% of the time the game controls fine for me and I don't have any problems. However, if I'm trying to make small adjustments to my placement because I want to loot stuff in a house for example and I'm trying to turn around or just take a step to the right or behind me, most of the time it's a pain in the ass. I don't mean the problems with the controls are constantly present, but in those situations it is so aggravating that it stands out. It's crazy how some people apparently don't go through this, I wish I could know what it is I'm doing wrong and what are they doing right. Roach is just a pain in the ass most of the time being stubborn like you said trying to pull in a direction or stopping because of a damn rock or just randomly stopping. I play with kb/m and I played on PS4, I've had the same issue on both platforms. I also just recently enabled the alternate controls and while it feels much more responsive to the point I need to get used to it again, those problems mentioned above are still present.

Artdayne

Witcher 3 is my all-time favorite game but it was clear to me early on that the controls were a bit janky. Trying to move precisely and loot things on the ground and you run 5 feet past your target.

Top Bottom