• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

Anyone know how long it takes to complete the prologue and both episodes?

I just finished the prologue, took me close to one hour.

Anyway, this is bloody incredible. Swery has managed to outdo Telltale in terms of how to tell a story through interactive QTE. The voice acting is perfect, the humour is superb (clam chowder), characters are suitably crazy and the world is very well realised.

I really hope this isn't all we get. We need more episodes. Please Phil, don't sit on your hands on with, get Swery working on season 2, 3, 4 and 5. This has the potential to be one of the greatest games of the generation. The memento mechanic is just a superb touch, leaves the potential for future episodes and seasons wide open.

Oh and this game alone fully redeems Kinect. Goodness, I'm legit blown away, It's perfect. There's literally no other way to play it.

Reedirect

Anyway, this is bloody incredible. Swery has managed to outdo Telltale in terms of how to tell a story through interactive QTE. The voice acting is perfect, the humour is superb (clam chowder), characters are suitably crazy and the world is very well realised.

I really hope this isn't all we get. We need more episodes. Please Phil, don't sit on your hands on with, get Swery working on season 2, 3, 4 and 5. This has the potential to be one of the greatest games of the generation. The memento mechanic is just a superb touch, leaves the potential for future episodes and seasons wide open.

Oh and this game alone fully redeems Kinect. Goodness, I'm legit blown away, It's perfect. There's literally no other way to play it.

I think I'm just going to get an Xbox RIGHT NOW.

Zach

Jesus, this sounds gouda. Speaking of Telltale, does D4 run better than their games? I just finished The Wolf Among Us and boy did it perform horrendously on my newly-purchased PS3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm only 5 minutes into this and dig the fuck out of it. Won't let me stream it for whatever reason though, guess it's some wonky issue with it just popping up on the store.

I think I'm just going to get an Xbox RIGHT NOW.

Just my opinion, I fully expect others to disagree. But I really do consider this to be one of the best games I've played so far this year.

Jesus, this sounds gouda. Speaking of Telltale, does D4 run better than their games? I just finished The Wolf Among Us and boy did it perform horrendously on my newly-purchased PS3.

There's some pop in, but the frame-rate is pretty solid for the most part. I haven't encountered any really hectic scenes yet, so it's possible it might take a dive, but so far, it's considerably more stable than anything TT have put out.

This article seems to mirror your thoughts.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/19/6523813/d4-dark-dreams-dont-die-kinect

EDIT: And dear God, Miles... that hype. You have me hating work so much today. I want to home NOW!

Bought, not sure why Microsoft has suddenly decided to charge me tax though >_>

Might try steaming it when the download is done, does twitch on Xbox One do PIP? People might laugh at me flailing about :p

Zach

Just my opinion, I fully expect others to disagree. But I really do consider this to be one of the best games I've played so far this year.

There's some pop in, but the frame-rate is pretty solid for the most part. I haven't encountered any really hectic scenes yet, so it's possible it might take a dive, but so far, it's considerably more stable than anything TT have put out.

That's great to hear.

This article seems to mirror your thoughts.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/19/6523813/d4-dark-dreams-dont-die-kinect

EDIT: A dear God, Miles... that hype. You have me hating work so much today. I want to home NOW!

This has set the bar for ontrols in interactive QTE storytelling. I'm not sure I can go back to using a controller for games like this. No hyperbole.

And the hype is real (for me at least), the game has exceeded all of my expectations so far. The humour is amazing. There's a conversation about the most silliest thing that will have you laughing your head off. It's so utterly random.

It's also full of little Deadly Premonition Easter eggs.

That's great to hear.

Keep in mind I haven't encountered any really hectic scenes yet, but if you're coming from TWaU to this, it's night and day from what I've played so far.

Had my eye on this the minute it was announced, was scared it wasn't going to come out since Swery's been quiet for a while. So happy that it seems to be delivering.

I'm all over this like a Sinner's sandwich when I get home.

It doesn't take much to outdo Telltale. On the gameplay front they are rock bottom when it comes to interactive storytelling lol
But this sounds like it might even do it better than Heavy Rain, which is fairly exciting (Swery liked HR a lot IIRC). From my PS Move experience with that I always suspected a better Kinect could do wonders for this genre. Glad to see it seems to be utilized well and maybe other devs can adapt some elements.

Don't have a XB1, but hopefully it does well. Let's hope MS doesn't send it out to die like Alan Wake, which currently looks like they might :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The music in this is fantastic.

For Kinect controls, is it "stand up and always be moving" kinect or "sit down with a controller and occasionally wave your hand" kinect?

Sit down. I'm using a controller but I can tell how most of it translates, seems like a pretty typical hand cursor that you hold over, drag, etc. with.

Mrbob

I knew this game would be amazing when I had to fend off a woman who thinks she is a cat.

Finished the prologue last night, very interesting set up. I'm playing with a controller, everything is fine. I might have to bust out Kinect again to try it out. Maybe. Can't wait to start episode 1 when I get home in a couple hours.

Did Microsoft even advertise this, or did this just come out of nowhere?
Kinda sad that MS apparently couldn't even be bothered to grant reviewers download access a week early to get positive launch coverage. I hate when publishers do this, why even spend development money if you don't want to sell it.

It doesn't take much to outdo Telltale. On the gameplay front they are rock bottom when it comes to interactive storytelling lol
But this sounds like it might even do it better than Heavy Rain, which is fairly exciting (Swery liked HR a lot IIRC). From my PS Move experience with that I always suspected a better Kinect could do wonders for this genre. Glad to see it seems to be utilized well and maybe other devs can adapt some elements.

Don't have a XB1, but hopefully it does well. Let's hope MS doesn't send it out to die like Alan Wake, which currently looks like they might :/

I'll wait until I complete all the episodes before commenting on if it's better or worse than HR. At the moment? I'd rather not say in case it causes the thread to derail significantly. I feel you know which way I'd lean based on Beyond though...

Yeah, I was pretty surprised by how well the controls responded using Kinect. I was fully expecting to be fighting them at every corner and switching to the controller, but they feel incredibly natural and they work pretty damn well so far. I haven't missed or failed any QTE so far, that's a good sign in my book, but there hasn't been anything that really pushes the controls yet, so that might be a little premature.

Still, very impressed with how well Kinect works so far.

Did Microsoft even advertise this, or did this just come out of nowhere?

This dropped out of nowhere. It's not really known outside of core communities like Gaf.

Like Deadly Premonition, this will live or die by word of mouth. I don't expect MS to lift a finger with marketing this game. Shame too, it's probably the Bone's best exclusive at the moment and easily best use of Kinect.

This dropped out of nowhere. It's not really known outside of core communities like Gaf.

Like Deadly Premonition, this will live or die by word of mouth. I don't expect MS to lift a finger with marketing this game. Shame too, it's probably the Bone's best exclusive at the moment and easily best use of Kinect.

MS are fools for not giving this a bigger push. It definitely is one of the best games on X1 so far and will probably be one of the best on X1 by the end of the year.

It's a damn good game. I really don't understand why MS would fund its development only to release it with absolutely no fanfare whatsoever. It's just crazy. This is a prime example of how you create poor working relationships with good developers...

Support the goddamn game with marketing. Fuck. Spencer need to be twitter bombed or something, this is an unacceptable way to release such a game.

I'm pissed all these exclusives are coming to Xbox and in stuck on PlayStation. Now I have to spend another 400 dollllllaaaarrrsssss.

Good problem to have though.

If you have any interest in playing this game you should stop reading about it, because people will want to talk about the cool nonsense. Like I'm gonna do right now.

I think I love this game.
"She just started living here."
Did she spit a mouse into his mouth?
Oh my god.
That may be the best quick time event/character introduction I've ever experienced. Not a very high bar to be fair, but...geez.

I'll wait until I complete all the episodes before commenting on if it's better or worse than HR. At the moment? I'd rather not say in case it causes the thread to derail significantly. I feel you know which way I'd lean based on Beyond though...

Yeah, I was pretty surprised by how well the controls responded using Kinect. I was fully expecting to be fighting them at every corner and switching to the controller, but they feel incredibly natural and they work pretty damn well so far. I haven't missed or failed any QTE so far, that's a good sign in my book, but there hasn't been anything that really pushes the controls yet, so that might be a little premature.

Still, very impressed with how well Kinect works so far.
I'm not sure if you typed your thoughts out anywhere, so I only have some vague notion. I enjoyed Beyond quite a bit, but I think gameplay wise it's a typical "safe" sequel. Not enough time to design something from the ground up for the second game in the generation, so take everything from the predecessor that worked, change some stuff and that's it even if it doesn't fit nearly as well as it did previously. Heavy Rain was a lot more focussed and clever in the gameplay department IMO. Something I expect for their next game again with a proper pre-production period this time.
I wanted to leave Story out completely, as that most assuredly derails the thread like it always does. I think just comparing and discussing the gameplay and means to control what's happening on screen has merit too. So it makes me pretty happy to hear that D4 seems to advance the genre a bit here gameplay wise.

Do Xbox One games let you start before they're finished downloading? Says 60% but "ready to start" and opening it seems to make the game start.

Do Xbox One games let you start before they're finished downloading? Says 60% but "ready to start" and opening it seems to make the game start.

Depends on the game. Sometimes games are "ready to start", and you can play a decent chunk while the rest installs in the background.

Some games (Ryse comes to mind) let you load them early...but you just get an in-game installation screen instead, and can't actually play anything.

Damn it Miles.

*buys game*

:)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No one took the time to point out that David Young was originally Francis York Morgan's name? Back when Deadly Premonition was called Rainy Woods, he went by David Young Hennig

watership

Just bought. Hype is a dangerous thing.

Should I.....hype?

Why not. If you loved Deadly Premonition you'll love this. I don't know if many are hyped enough actually. Reviews and impressions are positive, but I wonder if the fact that this is on X1 is reducing the hype for people.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I loved Deadly Premonition. Swery s able to incorporate strange eccentricities to all of the town inhabitants that never really felt forced and came across as very organic to the game's universe. I hope I get around to playing this some day, because it seems Swery continues his unique brand of story telling in D4.

Drewfonse

Why not. If you loved Deadly Premonition you'll love this. I don't know if many are hyped enough actually. Reviews and impressions are positive, but I wonder if the fact that this is on X1 is reducing the hype for people.

The thing is, I didn't really care for DP. I didn't dislike it, I just found the gameplay to be I satisfying. This looks different and fresh. And it makes good use of Kinect, which is fantastic. I wish more unique games were made, so I'm supporting the process and buying it. It's the perfect filler for me between now and Forza Horizon 2 and the OCT onslaught.

Top Bottom