• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having Obi-Wan speak to Rey through the Force is enough.

"Rey, these are your first steps."

Those are actually the words he spoke to Luke, continuing the tradition of guiding the Skywalkers.

Except there was no need to have Ewan record those lines. And Maz equally has a quote where she says to forget about those that left you behind, and Rey was old enough at that time to know whether or not they were family.

I'm not saying that it's not possible that she's a Skywalker. I'm saying it's possible that she's a Kenobi and that there is plenty of evidence to support that liklihood.

Davide

Except there was no need to have Ewan record those lines. And Maz equally has a quote where she says to forget about those that keft you behind, and Rey was old enough at that time to know whether or not they were family.

I'm not saying that it's not possible that she's a Skywalker. I'm saying it's possible that she's a Kenobi and that there is plenty of evidence to support that liklihood.
There is no real evidence. They have no worries about money making these films and Ewan McGregor was perfectly willing to come in and record it, it doesn't signify him actually being related to Rey.

Maz wanted Rey to stop waiting on Jakku and move on - she didn't seem to know who Rey's family was, but she knew she was destined to find Luke, as did Rey. It's obvious Luke or whoever else wasn't coming for her on Jakku.

Also, it's been confirmed Rey doesn't remember her family.

Surfinn

And Maz equally has a quote where she says to forget about those that left you behind, and Rey was old enough at that time to know whether or not they were family.

I agree that it's strange they specifically recorded line with Ewan, and there's definitely gunna be more to that.

But the Maz line is vague as fuck and we have no way of knowing what Rey knows about how she was left on Jakku. Her knowledge is suspiciously left out of TFA. In addition, Maz specifically says "whomever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back".

The word "family" is suspiciously left out of the entire conversation. The film was designed to keep your theories running without a conclusion simply because they were designed to only give you certain bits of information.

Her statement can be taken a variety of ways and in no way detracts from the Luke's daughter theory.

Link?

Davide

From the visual dictionary:

"Her only escapes from the brutal conditions of Jakku are vidvid flights of imagination, where she envisions lush, green worlds and fantasizes about a family she has never known."

Maybe doesn't remember them is slightly presumptuous but it seems to be the implication to me.

Emarv

This doesn't prove or disprove anything, but Rian Johnson has stated on Twitter he's a fan of Jenny Nicholson's Star Wars videos on Youtube. He follows her on Twitter and they've had a couple of interactions, I think. Her second most popular video is essentially on all of the narrative silliness involved if Luke turns out to be her dad. It's largely a humor video but does get at some oddness that would have to be addressed.

Again, this doesn't disprove the Luke theory, but it does hopefully make him aware of some of the narrative issues that it might cause. So hopefully, if that does end up being the case, it's written well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjHEHuNyvME

There is no real evidence. They have no worries about money making these films and Ewan McGregor was perfectly willing to come in and record it, it doesn't signify him actually being related to Rey.

Maz wanted Rey to stop waiting on Jakku and move on - she didn't seem to know who Rey's family was, but she knew she was destined to find Luke, as did Rey. It's obvious Luke or whoever else wasn't coming for her on Jakku.

So Maz doesn't know who Rey's family is but you place weight on her line about the Lighsaber's lineage?

And Rey wasn't raised by her family but the age she's at when they leave her, she would certainly know if it was family who left her or not-family who left her.

Davide

So Maz doesn't know who Rey's family is but you place weight on her line about the Lighsaber's lineage?

And Rey wasn't raised by her family but the age she's at when they leave her, she would certainly know if it was family who left her or not-family who left her.
Maz doesn't or didn't know who her family is or who Rey is, or maybe more accurately Maz doesn't know who left Rey on Jakku, but both she and we the audience know that it's significant that the Skywalker lightsaber calls to Rey and seemingly not to Maz, Finn, or anyone else. In fact it calls her downstairs and I'm pretty sure with her own voice as a child.

Given the lack of information in the film and what we know from the visual dictionary, I don't think we can say for sure what Rey knows about her family.

Surfinn

From the visual dictionary:

"Her only escapes from the brutal conditions of Jakku are vidvid flights of imagination, where she envisions lush, green worlds and fantasizes about a family she has never known."

Maybe doesn't remember them is slightly presumptuous but it seems to be the implication to me.

I wouldn't look too far into that. I think it's more referring to the fact that she's been without her family for years. If it were true that she has never known her family, it would have been included in TFA, not revealed in the visual dictionary.

Davide

I wouldn't look too far into that. I think it's more referring to the fact that she's been without her family for years. If it were true that she has never known her family, it would have been included in TFA, not revealed in the visual dictionary.
I wouldn't say it's not true because it's not specifically in the film. I think it's also said in "Rey's Survival Guide" that Rey doesn't remember her family. All we hear from her about her family in TFA is very vague.

Maz doesn't or didn't know who her family is or who Rey is, or maybe more accurately Maz doesn't know who left Rey on Jakku, but both she and we the audience know that it's significant that the Skywalker lightsaber calls to Rey and seemingly not to Maz, Finn, or anyone else. In fact it calls her downstairs and I'm pretty sure with her own voice as a child.

Given the lack of information in the film and what we know from the visual dictionary, I don't think we can say for sure what Rey knows about her family.

The significance of the saber calling to her also has multiple possible meanings. It could simply be that The Force is leading Rey to the last Jedi capable of teaching her. Which would also work with Maz telling Rey that she must go to Luke.

And I'm purely talking about what a child is capable of knowing at that age. She would know family from friends or servants. Now maybe, like Leia, who she thinks is family actually isn't... But then that leads right into the issues with Luke having given up a child for seemingly no good reason given the timeline that's presented with her abandonment and his teaching at the academy.

Davide

The significance of the saber calling to her also has multiple possible meanings. It could simply be that The Force is leading Rey to the last Jedi capable of teaching her. Which would also work with Maz telling Rey that she must go to Luke.

And I'm purely talking about what a child is capable of knowing at that age. She would know family from friends or servants. Now maybe, like Leia, who she thinks is family actually isn't... But then that leads right into the issues with Luke having given up a child for seemingly no good reason given the timeline that's presented with her abandonment and his teaching at the academy.
But with the line, "that lightsaber was Luke's, and his father's before him", the emphasis is on family. At the very least it certainly points more to Skywalker than Kenobi.

Yes we would normally expect that someone the age of young Rey in the flashback would know/remember her parents, but we don't know if that's the case as there are signs pointing towards otherwise.

Surfinn

This doesn't prove or disprove anything, but Rian Johnson has stated on Twitter he's a fan of Jenny Nicholson's Star Wars videos on Youtube. He follows her on Twitter and they've had a couple of interactions, I think. Her second most popular video is essentially on all of the narrative silliness involved if Luke turns out to be her dad. It's largely a humor video but does get at some oddness that would have to be addressed.

Again, this doesn't disprove the Luke theory, but it does hopefully make him aware of some of the narrative issues that it might cause. So hopefully, if that does end up being the case, it's written well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjHEHuNyvME

Meh, she's assuming that the only possible outcome is that Luke left her on Jakku which is incredibly short sighted. We have no idea how she got there and there very well could have been a plausible reason for it that still allows her to be Luke's daughter. Kind of a stupid video.

I've seen a TON of theories and predictions that are based on vague bits of info and assumption thrown around as fact over the course of the last year. I don't think people realize just how little information we actually got in TFA.

I wouldn't say it's not true because it's not specifically in the film. I think it's also said in "Rey's Survival Guide" that Rey doesn't remember her family. All we hear from her about her family in TFA is very vague.

This is already a contradiction though, if she doesn't remember her family. BB-8 asks who she's waiting for on Jakku and she says "for my family". If she has no prior knowledge of them, how would she assume that they're coming back to pick her up one day?

It's kind of bizarre really. She believes so strongly that her family is going to return to her yet she shares absolutely no information about what she knows or why she believes it.

I'm really curious to see how they handle the explanation of both who she is and what information she knew on Jakku.

Guys, there is too much arguing over which is less silly, Luke or Kenobi. Can we just agree that there is no GOOD answer to the set up of Rey's family. Or at least it's very likely that whatever the answer is it's going to be unsatisfying to a good portion of the audience. It's why I hate long term mysteries like this, especially when they are handed off from creator to creator. There are too many chances for things to go wrong.

If it's Luke, it's too simple.

If it's Kenobi, it's too complicated.

If it's no one important, why bother hiding it?

Once the mystery was spread out over more than the first movie, there were going to be problems.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think that in Disney's mind, this being called Ep VII, VIII, IX, means it's still about Luke/Vader. The trailers also hinted at this being heavily about Luke's lineage, and so did people associated with the movie, and the story of VII itself.

So it's likely that Rey is Luke's daughter. Who left her on Jakku, why they had custody of her, is pretty much all that is left to explain and it doesn't sound like it would take much time to do. There are strong hints that Luke disappeared/abandoned everyone/didn't want to be found, it's possible Luke's wife/companion was pregnant and never told him, left him, and abandoned the kid because it wasn't supposed to be happen (Luke might not have wanted to have kids for reasons already explored later with Ben). Whatever the case, it sounds easy to explain.

What was really poorly handled in VII is that the audience doesn't know what Rey remembers of her youth, of her family. That left a big confusing hole that shouldn't have been other unless they had clearly stated she has some sort of amnesia or was too young to remember, which was clearly not the case.

Davide

Guys, there is too much arguing over which is less silly, Luke or Kenobi. Can we just agree that there is no GOOD answer to the set up of Rey's family. Or at least it's very likely that whatever the answer is it's going to be unsatisfying to a good portion of the audience. It's why I hate long term mysteries like this, especially when they are handed off from creator to creator. There are too many chances for things to go wrong.

If it's Luke, it's too simple.

If it's Kenobi, it's too complicated.

If it's no one important, why bother hiding it?

Once the mystery was spread out over more than the first movie, there were going to be problems.
If Rey is a Skywalker, it really wouldn't have made sense to reveal it in VII since Luke didn't even speak a word in it.

I don't think she's a Skywalker because I believe that if she were, it'd have been revealed in VII. It's what most suspected all along and there's no reason for them to hold back a "twist" that isn't going to end up surprising people.

If she is a Skywalker, they better throw a very interesting wrench in there, otherwise they run the risk of making people go "OK, so she's a Skywalker, yep we kinda figured but thanks for making us wait even longer to learn something we already pretty much knew."

And I don't think these guys lack that much foresight. Either she's a Skywalker but there's a lot more to it which was worthy of dragging out the answer, or she isn't.

Davide

I don't think she's a Skywalker because I believe that if she were, it'd have been revealed in VII. It's what most suspected all along and there's no reason for them to hold back a "twist" that isn't going to end up surprising people.
Arguably Rey Solo is what people suspected before the film came out. Daisy Ridley thinks Rey's parentage was revealed in TFA and if that's the case it shouldn't be surprising. Do you think in the case of Rey Skywalker, Rey should have learned her parentage from someone other than her father?

deadlast

Arguably Rey Solo is what people suspected before the film came out. Daisy Ridley thinks Rey's parentage was revealed in TFA and if that's the case it shouldn't be surprising. Do you think in the case of Rey Skywalker, Rey should have learned her parentage from someone other than her father?
It's probably not solo. I hope it's not a skywalker. also the emperor is snoke.

I never thought Rey was a Solo. We found out in VII that Kylo Benjamin was a Solo. I don't see them going oh yeah and Rey is a Solo too! Of course, they could be pulling a Jacen and Jaina on us, but I highly doubt that too.

If that were the case, Rey also ran into both her parents in VII, and none of their encounters hinted at this. You could argue her and Han connecting very well, but I don't think that's a clue. Leia is Force sensitive so if Rey were her daughter, I think she'd have known, or there'd have been shots of Leia giving her looks or something.

So for me that doesn't check out either.

Davide

I never thought Rey was a Solo. We found out in VII that Kylo Benjamin was a Solo. I don't see them going oh yeah and Rey is a Solo too! Of course, they could be pulling a Jacen and Jaina on us, but I highly doubt that too.

If that were the case, Rey also ran into both her parents in VII, and none of their encounters hinted at this. Leia is Force sensitive so if Rey were her daughter, I think she'd have known, or there'd have been shots of Leia giving her looks or something.

So for me that doesn't check out either.
Yeah, if Rey was a Solo than they really shouldn't have killed off Han before she found out.

And Daisy Ridley's said that Rey isn't a Solo.

Emarv

If Rey is a Skywalker, it really wouldn't have made sense to reveal it in VII since Luke didn't even speak a word in it.

Yes it would have. In terms of good storytelling, it makes more sense to have your hero invested even more in why she's trying to find Luke. And then when that payoff finally does happen, and they stand there looking deep into each others' eyes, it would have been way more impactful for the audience to have that be layered with a child seeing their parent for the first time in years.

It would have been a mistake to rob the climax of the film of its power only to then have Ep 8 start up and Luke say "Btw, I'm your dad".

Yeah, if Rey was a Solo than they really shouldn't have killed off Han before she found out.

To be fair I've thought about this probably more than what's good for my mental health. I've thought about it from a storytelling standpoint as well as putting all the factors presented to us in VII into place. I think they're trying to be careful about it and the folks at Lucasfilm would surely get that Leia at least would have picked up on it-- and on top of that you have the problem of, if Rey is their daughter, it would mean that they didn't know, which creates a whole slew of issues like, so they had two kids but didn't know?

Stuff like that is sketchy territory that could lead to unintentionally weird details. I don't think she's Luke's daughter, but my main cash is on her being part of the Skywalker lineage somehow. People don't want to hear this, but where she's so crazy connected to the Force, her being an Anakin situation has crossed my mind.

Edit: I should have clarified that I don't think she's Luke's daughter, not necessarily that I don't think she's part of the Skywalker line

Davide

Yes it would have. In terms of good storytelling, it makes more sense to have your hero invested even more in why she's trying to find Luke. And then when that payoff finally does happen, and they stand there looking deep into each others' eyes, it would have been way more impactful for the audience to have that be layered with a child seeing their parent for the first time in years.

It would have been a mistake to rob the climax of the film of its power only to then have Ep 8 start up and Luke say "Btw, I'm your dad".
I realize not everyone saw it, but that's exactly what I saw watching it for the first time.

And I disagree. Rey wants to find her family and she feels drawn to Luke. Maz tells her to move on from waiting for whoever left her on Jakku, to find a new direction, and Rey's mind immediately goes to Luke. If Rey realized Luke was her father at the end of VII when finally meeting him, that's the best case scenario IMO. It probably would have been better if Luke had given her a hug or their relation was more acknowledged, but if not I'm going to wait to see how it plays out before I judge it. If Rey were to have found out from somebody else that Luke is her father, for me, that wouldn't have given a very good emotional payoff.

If we find out after all this speculation that Rey is a random, that will be incredibly underwhelming. At least for all those speculating. And Rey Kenobi gives no emotional payoff.

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that the main saga has always been about the Skywalker lineage. George Lucas himself said that a sequel trilogy would be about the grandchildren.

Grandchildren, plural
. Leia's son. Luke's daughter. One light, one dark.

This is so obvious to me, I don't even know how people are coming to the conclusion that she's Kenobi's daughter. Seems like quite the reach, to me.

Luke fails with Ren, something terrible happens, Luke feels like he's inadequate as a Jedi master/trainer. Not only does he not want to train his own daughter for fear of her succumbing to the same fate and falling to darkness (she would be too powerful), but he wants to keep her safe and hidden from Ren/The First Order and he knows that she wouldn't be safe with him.

Davide

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that the main saga has always been about the Skywalker lineage. George Lucas himself said that a sequel trilogy would be about the grandchildren.

Grandchildren, plural

This is so obvious to me, I don't even know how people are coming to the conclusion that she's Kenobi's daughter. Seems like quite the reach, to me.

Luke fails with Ren, something terrible happens, Luke feels like he's inadequate as a Jedi master/trainer. Not only does he not want to train his own daughter for fear of her succumbing to the same fate and falling to darkness (she would be too powerful), but he wants to keep her safe and hidden from Ren/The First Order and he knows that she wouldn't be safe with him.
Yup, exactly.

CLEEK

The first trailer for TFA had Luke do the "The Force is strong in my family... you have that power too" bit, which certainly implied that this was being directed to Rey.

There must be a reason that was included in the trailer, even through it wasn't in the final film.

Emarv

If Rey is Luke's then that would probably just be handled via a conversation between the two of them right at the start, unless Luke chooses to withhold for longer. I'm fine with that possibility, but it seems odd to me.

Here's my bad fanfic for how they handle the Kenobi reveal: It seems to me that Ep 8 will include a lot of training of Rey by Luke, similar to ESB. During this, Rey would be constantly asking about her family or importance to the whole thing and Luke would be withholding from her. It seems pretty clear that Luke would likely be in contact still with the Force Ghosts of Yoda and Obi-Wan (and maybe Anakin?). I could see him going off trying to talk with them and consult with them. Or maybe he lost touch with them during the aftermath of the Knights of Ren stuff.

Either way, Luke would instruct Rey that she needs to find her place with the Force in her own way, similar to Yoda and Luke. Rey eventually goes off and has her own vision where she would the consult with Ghost Obi-Wan. It just seems likely that we're gonna get Ghost Ewan McGregor in one way or another. It's too good to leave on the table. If she's a Kenobi, you'd have it happen at the end of her pilgrimage on her own rather that just have Luke explain it at the top.

I agree with the earlier poster about how they're screwed either way. And personally, I've made my peace with all 3 major possibilities. But no matter what, I think they need to find a way to dramatize her realization and not just have an exposition dump or a quick brush away. I trust Johnson to find someway to make it interesting, whatever it is.

Emarv

The first trailer for TFA had Luke do the "The Force is strong in my family... you have that power too" bit, which certainly implied that this was being directed to Rey.

There must be a reason that was included in the trailer, even through it wasn't in the final film.

I've personally always had a problem with this. Maybe because I wasn't too deep in the GAF threads pre-VII, but during the trailers I never suspected that Rey was going to become the central Force user of the series. Between the casting and the clips of Finn with the lightsaber, I mistakenly assumed that Finn was going to be the main hero. Which in turn helped the Rey reveal have that much more impact on me.

I'm curious how many others had that same impression beforehand. Which is partly why that reusing of RotJ dialogue only ever felt like homage or reference to me and not direct evidence of anything because I thought it was a nod to Finn's new journey. Only after the movie did I see the possibility of it being about Rey. Of course, it might just have been me that got tricked like that.

Grandchildren, plural

Then he sold to Disney and they cut him out of creative, and he called them white slavers and acted super bitter that they ignored his ideas for the series going forward. Why you think an appeal to Lucas as authority on the new canon is determinitive, I have no idea.

Then he sold to Disney and they cut him out of creative, and he called them white slavers and acted super bitter that they ignored his ideas for the series going forward. Why you think an appeal to Lucas as authority on the new canon is determinitive, I have no idea.

It's been clear from the very get-go that the new filmmakers taking over the creative vision were beholden to the very basic principles of what George had in mind. It's not even about pleasing him, but about the next logical step in telling the story of a family saga that spans generations. It's always been that. Why the fuck would they come out of left field with this shit?

Think about the timeline here. How many years have passed between the OT and TFA? How old are Luke, Han and Leia?

Now think about how old fucking Obi Wan was in ANH, and how old Rey is.

How in the blue hell did Obi-Wan manage to father a child? She'd be a LOT fucking older than Rey is now, wouldn't she?

People need to really start looking at the simple shit that's before them.

I'll never get why SW fandom loves playing with conspiracy theories to look for some deep and mysterious lore that isn't there.

She's Luke's daughter. And whatever Bobby Roberts said about that Maz line making no sense under that context underestimates just how inane Abrams likes to get in covering up his little mysteries.

Davide

I've personally always had a problem with this. Maybe because I wasn't too deep in the GAF threads pre-VII, but during the trailers I never suspected that Rey was going to become the central Force user of the series. Between the casting and the clips of Finn with the lightsaber, I mistakenly assumed that Finn was going to be the main hero. Which in turn helped the Rey reveal have that much more impact on me.

I'm curious how many others had that same impression beforehand. Which is partly why that reusing of RotJ dialogue only ever felt like homage or reference to me and not direct evidence of anything because I thought it was a nod to Finn's new journey. Only after the movie did I see the possibility of it being about Rey. Of course, it might just have been me that got tricked like that.
Yeah, same here. I was actually pretty disappointed Finn didn't turn out to be a Jedi but Rey was awesome anyway.

Per Kathleen Kennedy the key ideas remained the same. And the story was always about a young Jedi girl who would meet Luke by the end, before the character of Ben Solo was invented. Kylo Ren was just a vague Jedi killer, unrelated to the family. So it seems at least at one point that Rey was related and I doubt it changed.

It's been clear from the very get-go that the new filmmakers taking over the creative vision were beholden to the very basic principles of what George had in mind. It's not even about pleasing him, but about the next logical step in telling the story of a family saga that spans generations. It's always been that. Why the fuck would they come out of left field with this shit?

Think about the timeline here. How many years have passed between the OT and TFA? How old are Luke, Han and Leia?

How in the blue hell did Obi-Wan manage to father a child? She'd be a LOT fucking older than Rey is now, wouldn't she?

I'll never get why SW fandom loves playing with conspiracy theories for some deep and mysterious lore that isn't there.

She's Luke's daughter. And whatever Bobby Roberts said about that Maz line making no sense under that context underestimates just how inane Abrams likes to get in covering up his little mysteries.

People aren't saying Rey is his daughter in the theory.

Emarv

The argument isn't Kenobi's daughter. It's his granddaughter. Again, it requires either a lot of convoluted hoops or quick brushing aside for a standalone Obi-Wan movie. But it's never been about her being his daughter.

The argument isn't Kenobi's daughter. It's his granddaughter. Again, it requires either a lot of convoluted hoops or quick brushing aside for a standalone Obi-Wan movie. But it's never been about her being his daughter.

My bad.

Okay, having any relation to him whatsoever. And that theory does make it more convoluted and unlikely. That's really silly, IMO.

I don't think she's a Kenobi. Like that much of I'm certain. She'll be a Skywalker before a Kenobi.

Lucas may have said it'd be about the grandchildren but that's already partially fulfilled by Benjamin.

I'm still surprised some are still on the daughter of a kid Obi had with Satine. Considering that she would have had to have hidden the child for her entire career, which we never saw on Clone Wars, I think it's problematic. It certainly can't be after Clone Wars on account of her being dead.

Davide

Have these quotes from JJ been posted here before?

"Look, this is the first, this is an opportunity of a lifetime to write a movie that is the first of a series, and there is a story to be told. And it will be. But this movie, it felt like ”the droid is in the hands of your father, Han Solo" was probably the one real revelatory familial piece we could get away with."

"The thing about Star Wars is everyone who has seen these movies thinks, you know, ”I am your father." It's one of the first things you think about. And, ”There is another." And moments like that. But when you think about those big moments and then you stop and go, oh, neither of those things were in Star Wars. You know, Star Wars didn't say that Luke was the son of Vader. Star Wars didn't say that Leia was the sister of Luke. You didn't really understand what these references were. The Empire, dark times, Clone Wars. There are these things that are discussed that don't get explained. It was Episode IV. You know, George, among the unbelievable list of brilliant things he did, dropped you into a story and respected you and said, ”You will infer everything necessary to understand exactly what you need to know." And that's what we tried to do with this. We knew we were going to have a moment when Snoke was going to say to Ren, ”Your dad's in the picture." Can this movie actually also hold, you know, ”And Rey is this and Finn is that and this is where Poe... "There were things that we - at the very beginning of the process - were outlining and discovering and we just knew would be in ‘Episode 8' or ‘9'. A couple of those were things I was so excited about getting to do, but realised early on that there was no way we could shove them into ‘Episode 7'. Then of course Rian Johnson came along and is incorporating some of these things very closely to what we were thinking about - and in other cases things that we would never have imagined."

I'm still surprised some are still on the daughter of a kid Obi had with Satine. Considering that she would have had to have hidden the child for her entire career, which we never saw on Clone Wars, I think it's problematic. It certainly can't be after Clone Wars on account of her being dead.

I don't think it's problematic at all. She knew Obi Wan couldn't be with them. Couldn't be a father to her daughter and shes more than a strong enough person to be a parent on her own. So why tell him when it would only be a distraction and cause problems for him?

That makes me wonder if it's possible that Leia and Han wanted to see if they could bring Ben back before telling her that they're all related. Like Rey and Ben were both under Luke's tutelage, Ben went wrong, and Leia opted, possibly with or against Han's approval to have her shipped off to Jakku.

I suppose it's possible.

That makes me wonder if it's possible that Leia and Han wanted to see if they could bring Ben back before telling her that they're all related. Like Rey and Ben were both under Luke's tutelage, Ben went wrong, and Leia opted, possibly with or against Han's approval to have her shipped off to Jakku.

I suppose it's possible.

Rey was abandoned before Bens turn and betrayal.

Have these quotes from JJ been posted here before?

"Look, this is the first, this is an opportunity of a lifetime to write a movie that is the first of a series, and there is a story to be told. And it will be. But this movie, it felt like “the droid is in the hands of your father, Han Solo” was probably the one real revelatory familial piece we could get away with."

"The thing about Star Wars is everyone who has seen these movies thinks, you know, “I am your father.” It’s one of the first things you think about. And, “There is another.” And moments like that. But when you think about those big moments and then you stop and go, oh, neither of those things were in Star Wars. You know, Star Wars didn’t say that Luke was the son of Vader. Star Wars didn’t say that Leia was the sister of Luke. You didn’t really understand what these references were. The Empire, dark times, Clone Wars. There are these things that are discussed that don’t get explained. It was Episode IV. You know, George, among the unbelievable list of brilliant things he did, dropped you into a story and respected you and said, “You will infer everything necessary to understand exactly what you need to know.” And that’s what we tried to do with this. We knew we were going to have a moment when Snoke was going to say to Ren, “Your dad’s in the picture.” Can this movie actually also hold, you know, “And Rey is this and Finn is that and this is where Poe… "There were things that we - at the very beginning of the process - were outlining and discovering and we just knew would be in ‘Episode 8’ or ‘9’. A couple of those were things I was so excited about getting to do, but realised early on that there was no way we could shove them into ‘Episode 7’. Then of course Rian Johnson came along and is incorporating some of these things very closely to what we were thinking about - and in other cases things that we would never have imagined."

And this is why JJ Abrams sucks at anything but the moment to moment storytelling he excels at. The difference between ANH and TFA is that in ANH you didn't have a mystery as to who Luke's father was. It was Anakin Skywalker, and Darth Vader killed him, he was raised by his parents, and that's it. Obi-Wan taught Vader, who turned evil, and was a wise old dude who fought in a war. We didn't KNOW Luke was supposed to have a sister, or anything like that. None of it REQUIRED a lot of explanation, because it was the introduction to everything. TFA asks a bunch of open ended questions, spends a ton of time on them, and then hands them off to the next guy. Of course, this is all while jumping through hoops to make sure that everything that happened after RotJ was reset.

If ANH was made like TFA the dialogue would have been like this:

Luke: You knew my Father?
Obi-Wan: Yes, but that is a story for another time.

On another note: "the droid is in the hands of your father, Han Solo." is one of the worst lines in the entire series.

Davide

If ANH was made like TFA the dialogue would have been like this:

Luke: You knew my Father?
Obi-Wan: Yes, but that is a story for another time.

On another note: "the droid is in the hands of your father, Han Solo." is one of the worst lines in the entire series.

Or Luke teling R2 he's classified too. :p

I really love the film but the Ben Solo revelation was done in a really underwhelming fashion. Maybe it should have been when he was interrogating Rey.

Or Luke teling R2 he's classified too. :p

I really love the film but the Ben Solo revelation was done in a really underwhelming fashion. Maybe it should have been when he was interrogating Rey.
Downplaying the moment was the right decision. Another "i am your father" moment would have been bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom