• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas Mayor Says He’s More Fearful Of Armed White Men Than Syrian Refugees

Status
Not open for further replies.

temp

posting on contract only
How did this man become mayor of Dallas? Is Dallas weirdly progressive or something ?

It's the ninth most populous city in the US—with about 1.3 million people—between San Diego and San Jose. It's in Texas, but I'm assuming it's still as "liberal" as any major US city.

How can I make that more clear? Seriously?

I gotta say, I think the proof is in the pudding here. The very fact that a lot of people were confused means by nature that your post was confusing or vague.

Malyse

It's the ninth most populous city in the US—with about 1.3 million people—between San Diego and San Jose. It's in Texas, but I'm assuming it's still as "liberal" as any major US city.

I gotta say, I think the proof is in the pudding here. The very fact that a lot of people were confused means by nature that your post was confusing or vague.

And the vast majority figured it out. Your point isn't as valid as you seem to think. Four people in a hundred + posts isn't a lot.

How did this man become mayor of Dallas? Is Dallas weirdly progressive or something ?

To echo the guy above me, most large cities in the country are very liberal. The world gets to hear the crazy sauce people much more often because, due to the internet, most anyone can now be heard.

With information easily accessible everywhere, as a people we're going to have to learn that our focus and attention brings about power to things that usually wouldn't have had it to begin with.

Good on this mayor for his rational opinion and outlook. He's very right. I'd like to hear people report more on these ideas and less on the shockingly stupid ones.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

Pretty much all of the major cities in Texas lean Democrat and are typically more liberal than other parts of the state. Once you head to the suburbs, however, it's starts getting pretty conservative.

Interesting to see the mayor of Dallas hit it right on the money. It isn't a misconception that the majority of school shootings are done by white men. Syrian refugees aren't the problem, and neither are immigrants in general. You got far WORSE stuff growin' in White American that gets covered up like it's not that bad of a problem.

temp

posting on contract only
And the vast majority figured it out. Your point isn't as valid as you seem to think. Four people in a hundred + posts isn't a lot.

So what, implicit to what you're saying here is that in most threads there's a sizable minority of people that are confused about what the OP is even saying?

Also, it looks like there's more than four.

Malyse

So what, implicit to what you're saying here is that in most threads there's a sizable minority that are confused about what the OP is even saying?

This is all so very relevant to the thread. Always fun to be the focus. Again.

najehe

Banned
What he's saying probably isn't even controversial, particularly on left-leaning GAF. In fact, I'd say the shocking part is "Mayor of Dallas Texas is a Democrat."
Actually it is not shocking at all. As a Dallas resident, it has been leaning blue for awhile now. Twenty years to be exact. The suburbs are where you see republican enclaves.

Misleading title. He said '“I am more fearful of large gatherings of white men that come into schools, theaters and shoot people up." Not white men with guns but large groups of white men with guns actively shooting people which is a huge difference.

I'm not sure what a better title would be since there is a character limit though.

Kenai

I said almost the same thing on GAF not even a week ago. Kinda glad that someone with political cloud called it out as well. The hypocrisy is mind-numbing.

Malyse

Did you just make up that definition? I can't find it anywhere on the internet...

we're still fucking doing this?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=welp
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Welp

Literally the first result of the first link.

tumblr_m6k14f07lJ1r9udul.png

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
well, he's right just looking at the numbers. how many syrian refugees are there compared to white men with guns in dallas?

Awaiting the first resident of Dallas to say they're moving because of these correct statements. I'm more afraid of walking into an airport with some nut open carrying an assault rifle than some refugees.

an unhinged white male slaughtered a bunch of children at an elementary school and we did nothing. nothing.

we should be very, very afraid of white men with guns.

You should be almost as afraid of the people with the power to change the laws which might help prevent atrocities like this happening again, but refuse to do so.

ExVicis

Awaiting the first resident of Dallas to say they're moving because of these correct statements. I'm more afraid of walking into an airport with some nut open carrying an assault rifle than some refugees.
Wasn't that a thing? Some guy who dropped his daughter at the airport that had an AR with him?

You should be almost as afraid of the people with the power to change the laws which might help prevent atrocities like this happening again, but refuse to do so.

Isn't it two parts of the same coin? Young white assholes filled with vitriol, raisin' their guns for Amurica and trying to stamp out those who think don't belong here grow up to be old, white Republicans that, instead of going out and fucking with shit, just sit back and mold the country to keep their agendas hovering over the nation. What's the sayin, "Young fools grow up to become old fools."? Young bigots grow up to become old bigots.

What he's saying probably isn't even controversial, particularly on left-leaning GAF. In fact, I'd say the shocking part is "Mayor of Dallas Texas is a Democrat."

I know other people responded but to put a finer point on it:

b9s1wuT.jpg

That is the 2012 Presidential Election map. Pretty much the only highly populated country that didn't go blue was Tarrant (Ft. Worth). Texas politics is all about the dynamics between 3 groups, Urban, Suburban, and Rural. It's the Suburban and Rural populations that lean conservative, which is why Gerrymandering is such big business around here.

The Lamp

In a word, yes. Only got to spend like 2 days there but it's like any other large US city. Not some weird Tea Party stereotype.

I'm not sure why people would think that in the first place.

It might be surprising if you get all your opinions of America from American news on GAF, where every facepalm headline comes from G/A/F or Texas.

In reality though, Dallas is a progressive city with a thriving "gayborhood" and votes blue within its districts. Successful, educated people live here.

Can't speak for the out-lying suburbs, though.

As a Texan, I'm proud of this mayor.

Piggus

The fear of refugees is just as fucking stupid (if not more so) than the fear of ebola. Anyone who's afraid of these refugees is not only a coward but also dumber than a pile of bricks and doesn't know anything about how the process works. Republicans trying to mask their hatred for muslims with bullshit about needing more security checks (when it's well known that the refugee process is extremely thorough as is) need to be kicked in the nuts/vag.

SRG01

I know other people responded but to put a finer point on it:

b9s1wuT.jpg

That is the 2012 Presidential Election map. Pretty much the only highly populated country that didn't go blue was Tarrant (Ft. Worth). Texas politics is all about the dynamics between 3 groups, Urban, Suburban, and Rural. It's the Suburban and Rural populations that lean conservative, which is why Gerrymandering is such big business around here.

I didn't realize gerrymandering was that bad in Texas. That map isn't representative of the population distribution at all.

najehe

Banned
I didn't realize gerrymandering was that bad in Texas. That map isn't representative of the population distribution at all.
That's not congressional districts.The map represents which candidate received the majority of votes in each county. Bear in mind, most people live in the 'Texas Triangle'. So many of those red counties in west-northwest Texas are sparsely populated.

oni_saru

I'm definitely wary of white men with backpacks sitting in the far back at movie theaters. When i saw Spectre, i was slightly worried the guy sitting behind me was gonna start a shooting spree. Sorry white men. Yall scary! :p

But for real. This mayor be right.

His or a lot of your points are only half good. Statistically the refugees aren't the numbers of Americans and nor should they be. The question isn't if the refugees will be as bad or compared to Americans. That is another issue that needs work.

The issue and question is, how do we stop terrorists from entering the groups of refugees. The clear answer is. You can't. Honestly, if you let in a million refugees, you will bring in people who will plan attacks. Terrorists will have men that have no redflags
. It's that simple. You will have deaths and blood on your hands. So, I guess the question is. As people do we accept it until it affects us more directly? I'm not saying we shouldn't allow people in. But we should have the understanding that if we do. Having terrorists in the group is likely. How to them, I have no idea.

People often won't know the feelings of the victims until they are victims themselves. And that is something I hope a lot of us don't learn

How about we focus on getting their land and home liveable so they don't need to leave it.

Kin5290

Texas cities lean Democratic, since they're relatively poor and non-White. There's just a LOT of rural and suburban counties that are hardcore Republican surrounding the cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom