• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dangan Ronpa (Super High School Level) English Translation Patch Released (PSP)

HAHAHAHA DID YOU SEE

SPOILER (LINK IN SPOILER TAG)

Chapter 5 bad ending? SHE GETS AROUND DOG, HAGAKURE WAS RIGHT you know what I mean if you click here ;)

END SPOILER

YES
I don't know why, but that "ending" freaked me out a bit. Not only did Asahina become the universal mother/obvious sex object, which in itself is freaky, but Fukawa ended up dead for some reason.

Still, doesn't change a thing. Asahina <3

kewlmyc

YES
I don't know why, but that "ending" freaked me out a bit. Not only did Asahina become the universal mother/obvious sex object, which in itself is freaky, but Fukawa ended up dead for some reason.

Still, doesn't change a thing. Asahina <3

I liked the bad ending. It's the most logical conclusion of what would happen if you locked a bunch of teenagers together in a place without hope of getting out.

Aytrial

I just want to know what happened to
Fukawa
in that ending.

I bet she
committed suicide after she discovered Asahina was pregnant with Byakuya's child or she connected the dots after seeing the resemblance between the child and Byakuya after it was born.

I bet she
committed suicide after she discovered Asahina was pregnant with Byakuya's child or she connected the dots after seeing the resemblance between the child and Byakuya after it was born.

Seems plausible
what with her fragile mental state and all. Mr. Goody goody should have just bit the bullet and gotten with her, that way the Togami name would have a better chance at continuing. Instead they had three male children and a mother. That family was going to end with them.

I'll give her a donut wedding ring and you guys won't be able to compete at all

I just want to know what happened to
Fukawa
in that ending.

I bet she

Seems plausible
what with her fragile mental state and all. Mr. Goody goody should have just bit the bullet and gotten with her, that way the Togami name would have a better chance at continuing. Instead they had three male children and a mother. That family was going to end with them.
Can't we just say she died in childbirth or something please

I'll give her a donut wedding ring and you guys won't be able to compete at all

Can't we just say she died in childbirth or something please
Phhh just a ring? I'm going all out, bracelet, necklace, earrings. All donut based.

Also
But who would she have given birth to? Byakuya's kid was definitely Asahina's as well. Same goes for The other two children. Unless the child she gave birth to died as well, in which case, your explanation is much darker xD

Aytrial

But the despair from that ending comes from the fact that all of that is a "fake" happiness anyways:v

Ugh, now you're making me think what type of sick satisfaction Junko would get from seeing Fukawa's happiness and then the group's despair after in your version,

Labrys

Phhh just a ring? I'm going all out, bracelet, necklace, earrings. All donut based.

Also
But who would she have given birth to? Byakuya's kid was definitely Asahina's as well. Same goes for The other two children. Unless the child she gave birth to died as well, in which case, your explanation is much darker xD

I can see a bit of Fukawa in Togami's kid (personality, too? he looks reserved). Perhaps she died giving birth to him, and Asahina raised him as her own along the two others.
There's also a possibility something happened with Syo, perhaps the inability to murder someone was too much so she offed herself? I'm not too good with theories.

AlucardGV

Banned
I can see a bit of Fukawa in Togami's kid (personality, too? he looks reserved). Perhaps she died giving birth to him, and Asahina raised him as her own along the two others.
There's also a possibility something happened with Syo, perhaps the inability to murder someone was too much so she offed herself? I'm not too good with theories.

they probably had to kill her because you know, her split personality is a serial killer.

To those who have both read the LN and played the sequel, without spoiling anything, can you tell me if the following are ever explained:

1. The "Incident" that caused the world to fall into despair, was it a toxin released into the air? That would make the most sense.

2. The bloody classroom.

3. The means in which Junko took the memories from everyone.

4. How everyone never realized that their bodies were 2 years older.

VIRTUE'S LAST REWARD SPOILERS!!!

I know VLR did something similar, but they explained it in a way that almost made sense. (Gravity, no clean mirrors, robotic parts and whatnot)

I don't need to know the answers, just trying to see if these things are ever explained.

kewlmyc

To those who have both read the LN and played the sequel, without spoiling anything, can you tell me if the following are ever explained:

1. The "Incident" that caused the world to fall into despair, was it a toxin released into the air? That would make the most sense.

2. The bloody classroom.

3. The means in which Junko took the memories from everyone.

4. How everyone never realized that their bodies were 2 years older.

VIRTUE'S LAST REWARD SPOILERS!!!

I know VLR did something similar, but they explained it in a way that almost made sense. (Gravity, no clean mirrors, robotic parts and whatnot)

I don't need to know the answers, just trying to see if these things are ever explained.
The first three are explained, the last one isn't. They were probably too freaked out by the event to notice.

The first three are explained, the last one isn't. They were probably too freaked out by the event to notice.

Awesome, thanks.

Also, after watching the first episode of the anime (which is sticking to the story very well considering it's only 13 episodes) I realized who the person in the opening "punishment" was.
THE ORIGINAL HEADMASTER!!! I hadn't put 2 and 2 together when I saw that he became a pile of bones and the fact that that same pile was found in his office all wrapped up in the gift box.

So damn awesome.

kewlmyc

Awesome, thanks.

Also, after watching the first episode of the anime (which is sticking to the story very well considering it's only 13 episodes) I realized who the person in the opening "punishment" was.
THE ORIGINAL HEADMASTER!!! I hadn't put 2 and 2 together when I saw that he became a pile of bones and the fact that that same pile was found in his office all wrapped up in the gift box.

So damn awesome.

Be prepared to be disappointed in the anime. One of the laziest adaptions I've ever seen.

Be prepared to be disappointed in the anime. One of the laziest adaptions I've ever seen.
So far it's pretty good. But I'd like to know why you think it's lazily done. Is it because of the reused soundtrack? Or the fact that it has to be condensed so much so it can fit into 13 episodes?

kewlmyc

So far it's pretty good. But I'd like to know why you think it's lazily done. Is it because of the reused soundtrack? Or the fact that it has to be condensed so much so it can fit into 13 episodes?

Copypasting my opinion from another thread.

The worst part about this adaption is that if you have played the game, there is currently no reason to watch this, unlike the director's previous adaptions. P4A gave the silent protagonist a personality and gave different perspectives to scenes from the game. DeSu2 gave the silent protagonist a personality and animated a new story. With this adaption of DR, everything is copypasted from the game. A good number of scenes are just redrawn CGs from the game, the class trials are ripped directly from the game and rushed to all hell, and the executions are ripped from the game and retraced, plus they're censored. Since they’re ripped directly from the game, the animation differences are very jarring.

The point of an adaption in my eyes is to tell the story in a way that people who haven't experienced the original source in a adequate way while providing those who have experienced the original source a different perspective to scenes from the source. If you can't do that, then make a original plot featuring characters from the original source. DR the Animation isn't doing either. As of right now, it's feels as if I'm watching a "HD" speedrun of the original game. We don't get to see how the murders took place through animation and we don't get to see the executions done through a different perspective. That's all they had to do since unlike the director's previous adaptions, the MC is already a fleshed out character. Instead we get those scenes lazily copy and pasted straight from the game. I don't know if this is happening because of the DeSu2 the Animation backlash from fans, but copypasting every single element from the game does not make a good adaption. It just makes an abomination that no one should watch. Hopefully it gets better from here but I doubt it.

At least the OP is cool.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

The worst part about this adaption is that if you have played the game, there is currently no reason to watch this, unlike the director's previous adaptions. P4A gave the silent protagonist a personality and gave different perspectives to scenes from the game. DeSu2 gave the silent protagonist a personality and animated a new story. With this adaption of DR, everything is copypasted from the game. A good number of scenes are just redrawn CGs from the game, the class trials are ripped directly from the game and rushed to all hell, and the executions are ripped from the game and retraced, plus they're censored. Since they’re ripped directly from the game, the animation differences are very jarring.

The point of an adaption in my eyes is to tell the story in a way that people who haven't experienced the original source in a adequate way while providing those who have experienced the original source a different perspective to scenes from the source. If you can't do that, then make a original plot featuring characters from the original source. DR the Animation isn't doing either. As of right now, it's feels as if I'm watching a "HD" speedrun of the original game. We don't get to see how the murders took place through animation and we don't get to see the executions done through a different perspective. That's all they had to do since unlike the director's previous adaptions, the MC is already a fleshed out character. Instead we get those scenes lazily copy and pasted straight from the game. I don't know if this is happening because of the DeSu2 the Animation backlash from fans, but copypasting every single element from the game does not make a good adaption. It just makes an abomination that no one should watch. Hopefully it gets better from here but I doubt it.

At least the OP is cool.

The pacing of the show is terrible. I don't know how anyone who hasn't played the game could reasonably follow what's going on without getting really lost. I know I would.

At least the OP is cool.

While your point is valid, I don't think its a good reason to deter anyone from watching it just because they haven't experienced the game beforehand.

The argument could be made that anyone who wants the full story should play the game instead of substituting the animation for it.

While I'm a bit upset over the censorship and the redrawn execution scenes, I'm still content with what we got. I've come to expect this from most VN adaptations, as is the case with most Hollywood movies based on books. The source material is always (at least 95% of the time) better than the anime/movie versions.

kewlmyc

While your point is valid, I don't think its a good reason to deter anyone from watching it just because they haven't experienced the game beforehand.

The argument could be made that anyone who wants the full story should play the game instead of substituting the animation for it.

While I'm a bit upset over the censorship and the redrawn execution scenes, I'm still content with what we got. I've come to expect this from most VN adaptations, as is the case with most Hollywood movies based on books. The source material is always (at least 95% of the time) better than the anime/movie versions.

To me, if an adaption isn't good yet follows the source material, it gives away all of the the plot twists of the game, especially for linear story driven games like this. Considering the game is coming to the West next year, all the surprise story elements would be ruined for potential buyers due to a subpar adaption.

To me, if an adaption isn't good yet follows the source material, it gives away all of the the plot twists of the game, especially for linear story driven games like this. Considering the game is coming to the West next year, all the surprise story elements would be ruined for potential buyers due to a subpar adaption.

But wouldn't the surprises be ruined regardless of the quality of the anime adaption?

My advice to all those who watched the anime before playing the game would be to watch the first half of the anime, then wait and play the game. That way, you get a taste of what to expect as well as saving yourself from getting the entire game spoiled before you play it.

kewlmyc

But wouldn't the surprises be ruined regardless of the quality of the anime adaption?

My advice to all those who watched the anime before playing the game would be to watch the first half of the anime, then wait and play the game. That way, you get a taste of what to expect as well as saving yourself from getting the entire game spoiled before you play it.

True, but at least if the adaption was good, I could recommend just watching the anime. Can't do that in this case.

What you recommended also works. Watch up to episode 3 to see if you're interested in the game at all.

Finished the game yesterday. Here are some impressions and questions:

-I really liked the main story to this game. Kept me guessing the entire way through. Who would have thought that Enoshima was the one behind everything when you see her die so soon? However, I'm unsure about what her motivations were. Unless someone can clear this up, I'll just say that she's crazy and move on. Also, why did Mukuro Ikusaba attack Monokuma when she knew that was a violation of the rules. Did she want to die, or did Enoshima ordered her to?

-Building relationships with the other students looks interesting on paper, but I think the mechanic felt tacked on. I mean, a lot of interesting details about each of the students are impossible to learn about on a first playthrough. As a result, the students who died in the first 3 chapters didn't feel fleshed out because you didn't have enough time to learn about them. I think this mechanic should be scrapped altogether and learning the backstory of each character should be mandatory. Obtaining skills and skill points should just come by a chapter-by-chapter basis.

-Oh yeah, another thing I hated about building relationships was how difficult it was sometimes to find a particular character. They should have just had everyone stay in their rooms or something. Wandering around the school is just tedious.

-This is just me rambling, but as mentioned earlier, a large portion of the cast didn't really get enough screentime due to them dying so quickly. I was really disappointed to see Maizono be the first to bite the bullet because I only spent time with her once. Somehow, I just wish there was a way to save everyone, as was shown in the secret video, because I really did like what little time I spent with them. I suppose such a thing would be too much for the developers, though.

-On that note, who was everyone's favorite character? Mine's Asahina, because I liked how she valued her friendships with everyone else. I was scared that she was the culprit in Chapter 4, and it still turned out to be very sad even when I found out she wasn't. It was basically because of her and Sakura's sacrifice that everyone else was able to pull together and truly become friends.

-I really liked how dynamic the Class Trials were. The pannings, zoom-ins, shake-ups... they all made it feel real dramatic. The game felt pretty easy, but I guess that was because I was playing on Gentle difficulty. Music was great, though. Actually, the music in this game in general is pretty great.

And now, some questions about what I'm assuming is answered in the prequels. I need these to be answered since I won't read those novels. If a particular plot point is only in the sequel, however, don't answer it for me. I'm planning on playing the sequel in the future when it eventually gets translated:

-What is this Malefaction thing? How did it start? Why did it start? Why is Monokuma controlling everything?

-What happened to everyone's families? Only Togami's was explained in this game.

-What happened within the academy when the Malefaction started? How did Enoshima and Ikusaba take control of everything by themselves?

-How did everyone lose their memories? Also, why did everyone pass out in the entrance hall of the school when nothing was actually happening at that point? It should have just been a normal day, right?

-How the heck did someone so full of despair manage to become a famous supermodel? Did no one notice how insane she was?

-Please tell me any other important plot points that may have slipped my mind.

And now, I want to ask about the mechanics of the sequel. I don't think these questions are particularly spoilerish, but I'll censor them anyways:

-How have the mechanics changed from the first game? Like, the relationship mechanics, trials, etc. Are any of them improved or changed? What has been added?

-Is there more voice acting? The only parts that were completely voice-acted in this game were the Class Trials.

-What is the setting? Everyone who was alive at the end of the first game left the academy, so we must be somewhere new, right? I'd also like to know how long it has been since the first game.

-Who are the characters in this game? The survivors of the first one? Or a new cast?

-Does this game also have a sequel hook? Or does it resolve the story of the series?

Hope someone can answer me! =D

Labrys

And now, I want to ask about the mechanics of the sequel. I don't think these questions are particularly spoilerish, but I'll censor them anyways:

-How have the mechanics changed from the first game? Like, the relationship mechanics, trials, etc. Are any of them improved or changed? What has been added?

-Is there more voice acting? The only parts that were completely voice-acted in this game were the Class Trials.

-What is the setting? Everyone who was alive at the end of the first game left the academy, so we must be somewhere new, right? I'd also like to know how long it has been since the first game.
The setting is a tropical island "field trip" for Hope's Peak. I do not know how long it has been, however.

-Who are the characters in this game? The survivors of the first one? Or a new cast?

-Does this game also have a sequel hook? Or does it resolve the story of the series?
Can't answer this, either.

1. Pretty much everything is improved. You now have "Hope Shards", which you gain from interacting with a character during free time. There are 6 for each character, and you get one from just introducing yourself in the beginning.
If you miss out on some, there's also an "Island Mode" where you can just spend time with the characters without worrying about murders.
There are quite a few new things in trials. In particular, the ability to concur with a statement, and the added "Sword fighting", where you "cut" the claim of the other person. Your classmates can also object, iirc.
In general mechanics, only certain parts of the game is in full 3D, the main overworld is 2D and sidescrolling. There's also 2 minigames, a tomogatchi type one and another which is spoilery.

2. There are now certain "important" dialogues that are voiced, along with the trials. They're kinda spread apart, but they're nice.

3. The setting is a tropical island "field trip" for Hope's Peak, organized by "Magical Girl Miracle &#9734; Usami". I do not know how long it has been, however.

4. New cast, completely. Here's a video showcasing them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO2Cr5eUZv0
(I couldn't find the original, so this one has some pretty cool english voice acting dubbed over parts, the original video lacked voice acting in general.)

5. Cannot answer this, sorry.

Hope I helped.

beat it over the weekend. While i found the story not as good as ace attorney or zero escape stuff, the presentation is super good.

one of the more impressive rom hackeries i've seen with localized assets in game and i assume the 'hangman' minigame, probably gonna be better than the official release next year lol.

was there ever an explanation on how
2 people built all those elaborate murder machines in like 2 years? Also in the finale death, what was that rocket ship from? don't recall anyone dying from that.

I don't want any videogame or anime or w/e to ever mention 'despair' ever again.

Aytrial

2 people built all those elaborate murder machines in like 2 years? Also in the finale death, what was that rocket ship from? don't recall anyone dying from that.

Don't have an answer for your first question, but as for the second:

At the very beginning of the game, you may recall Monokuma sending a man into space using that method. All signs point to it being the Headmaster, as after the shuttle returns, all that is left of the man is a pile of bones. And in what state did we find the Headmaster? Yeah...

megatonante

Neo Member
I have a problem with the game. I'm playing it on ppsspp emulator, and I was perfectly fine until chapter 5. Now, at the point where the story switches from (n)everyday life to neveryday life, (in detail, just after
they discover the masked body stabbed in the garden)
the game blocks on the loading screen, with the black screen and the white spinning circles in the bottom right.

What should I do?

EDIT: nevermind, I redid the whole fuckin chapter using another save and now it goes.

Finished the game yesterday. Here are some impressions and questions:

-I really liked the main story to this game. Kept me guessing the entire way through. Who would have thought that Enoshima was the one behind everything when you see her die so soon? However, I'm unsure about what her motivations were. Unless someone can clear this up, I'll just say that she's crazy and move on. Also, why did Mukuro Ikusaba attack Monokuma when she knew that was a violation of the rules. Did she want to die, or did Enoshima ordered her to?

-Oh yeah, another thing I hated about building relationships was how difficult it was sometimes to find a particular character. They should have just had everyone stay in their rooms or something. Wandering around the school is just tedious.

-Somehow, I just wish there was a way to save everyone, as was shown in the secret video, because I really did like what little time I spent with them. I suppose such a thing would be too much for the developers, though.

And now, some questions about what I'm assuming is answered in the prequels. I need these to be answered since I won't read those novels. If a particular plot point is only in the sequel, however, don't answer it for me. I'm planning on playing the sequel in the future when it eventually gets translated:

-What is this Malefaction thing? How did it start? Why did it start? Why is Monokuma controlling everything?

-How did everyone lose their memories? Also, why did everyone pass out in the entrance hall of the school when nothing was actually happening at that point? It should have just been a normal day, right?

-How the heck did someone so full of despair manage to become a famous supermodel? Did no one notice how insane she was?

-She's just crazy and evil, and Mukuro didn't actually think she'd get killed.

-Did you use the map?

-Check out Dangan Ronpa If, it's from the second game but doesn't really spoil anything about it.

About the second set

-I could say something but I think that comes up in 2 too.

-It involves a SDHS Neurologist's research on a student with amnesia. Slso, they didn't pass out, that was just the point at which their memories stopped being erased.

-Well she IS quite an actress you know.

beat it over the weekend. While i found the story not as good as ace attorney or zero escape stuff, the presentation is super good.

one of the more impressive rom hackeries i've seen with localized assets in game and i assume the 'hangman' minigame, probably gonna be better than the official release next year lol.

I don't want any videogame or anime or w/e to ever mention 'despair' ever again.

-It wasn't two people.
-The rocket is from the headmaster's execution at the very very beginning.

i dont remember any
headmaster execution
... is it in the gallery?

Is there any background stuff on the
despair folks? Are they just emo crazy bad guy people or is there a reason why they are this?

-She's just crazy and evil, and Mukuro didn't actually think she'd get killed.

-Did you use the map?

-Check out Dangan Ronpa If, it's from the second game but doesn't really spoil anything about it.

About the second set

-I could say something but I think that comes up in 2 too.

-It involves a SDHS Neurologist's research on a student with amnesia. Slso, they didn't pass out, that was just the point at which their memories stopped being erased.

-Well she IS quite an actress you know.

Thanks for the answers
(and yeah, I used the map, but it doesn't give out who's where, right?)

Anyways, I think you skipped over these two questions. Can you answer them as well?

-What happened to everyone's families? Only Togami's was explained in this game.

-What happened within the academy when the Malefaction started? How did Enoshima and Ikusaba take control of everything by themselves?

Dave1988

i dont remember any
headmaster execution
... is it in the gallery?

Is there any background stuff on the
despair folks? Are they just emo crazy bad guy people or is there a reason why they are this?

The headmaster is the guy that's killed by Monokuma in the intro FMV. He's the man sent in the iron maiden into space. After the iron maiden crash lands back in the academy, only the bones of the headmaster remain which are later placed into the present box by Monokuma

About the second part:
IIRC we learn more about the other despair students in Dangan Ronpa Zero and Super Dangan Ronpa.

If there's an exclamation mark in a room/hall on the map, there's someone in there. Select said room and it'll tell you who's in there.

Weird, I never noticed that my entire playthrough. Oh well, I always ended up finding who I wanted all through the game so I'm content.
Of course I'm talking about Asahina

Too many black bars in this thread now lol. I'm scared to click on any of them due to the fact that they might spoil the LN or the sequel. I am so far (pretty much) unsullied. I wish to keep it that way for the next two years. (When DR2 is either fan translated or brought over by NISA.)

Also, if NISA translates Monokuma's name as Monobear, I will label it worse than the fan translation from the jump.

Labrys

Weird, I never noticed that my entire playthrough. Oh well, I always ended up finding who I wanted all through the game so I'm content.
Of course I'm talking about Asahina

Too many black bars in this thread now lol. I'm scared to click on any of them due to the fact that they might spoil the LN or the sequel. I am so far (pretty much) unsullied. I wish to keep it that way for the next two years. (When DR2 is either fan translated or brought over by NISA.)

Also, if NISA translates Monokuma's name as Monobear, I will label it worse than the fan translation from the jump.

Yeah, I noticed them chapter 2, made it easy to find people to hang out with (Sakura).

What I posted about SDR2 is just general mechanics/information. I'm only up to the second chapter, so I don't know much.

Also, Spike-Chunsoft specifically requested Monokuma stay as Monokuma for the US release, so it's staying that way.

EDIT:
Relating to all this, I am going to be making the OT for 1.2 Reload, so if anybody has anything to contribute to that/suggestions I'd be more than willing to accept. Also looking for someone who's importing and getting it fairly quickly (EMS), as I'm having to mix my import in with my monthly order.

kewlmyc

Yeah, I noticed them chapter 2, made it easy to find people to hang out with (Sakura).

What I posted about SDR2 is just general mechanics/information. I'm only up to the second chapter, so I don't know much.

Also, Spike-Chunsoft specifically requested Monokuma stay as Monokuma for the US release, so it's staying that way.

EDIT:
Relating to all this, I am going to be making the OT for 1.2 Reload, so if anybody has anything to contribute to that/suggestions I'd be more than willing to accept. Also looking for someone who's importing and getting it fairly quickly (EMS), as I'm having to mix my import in with my monthly order.

You'll have to tell me if School Mode has new content or is just the Free Time events from the first game.

Awesome. Spike-Chunsoft is starting to become one of my favorite developers, they gave me 999, VLR, and now this.

After watching the anime and seeing some people use "Monobear" makes me mad for some reason. I've even seen "Genocider Shou" translated as "Xenocider Show". That's just plain wrong.

Thanks for the answers
(and yeah, I used the map, but it doesn't give out who's where, right?)

Anyways, I think you skipped over these two questions. Can you answer them as well?

I skipped it on purpose because unless they get into it in the second volume of Zero there's no mention of it.

Labrys

You'll have to tell me if School Mode has new content or is just the Free Time events from the first game.

It looks like I'm gonna have to use a Kanji dictionary, but will do.

After watching the anime and seeing some people use "Monobear" makes me mad for some reason. I've even seen "Genocider Shou" translated as "Xenocider Show". That's just plain wrong.

"Monobear" is/was used by the Something Awful let's play, so it kinda stuck for some people. I personally think it sounds a little awkward.
I saw the Xenocider Show, too. I think it was translated by the same person that translated "Super High School Level/Super Duper High School" as just "High-Class".

Top Bottom