• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante skin to be featured in Dead Rising 4 Special Edition

MBS

Banned
Per Famitsu:

"Dead Rising 4 Special Edition" Frank dressed as Dante or X and rampage!

In the October 19th issue of Weekly Famitsu 2017 (released October 5, 2017), information on the zombie paradise action " Dead Rising 4 Special Edition " scheduled to be released on PlayStation 4 will be posted on December 7, 2017! This time, Frank 's versatile dress costume and the standing maniacs are introduced.

5D437Zs.jpg

The thirst is real.

Honestly I'm dissapointed they keep letting capcom Vancouver make the dead risings instead of the original japanese studio. They just don't get what the made the original so good. The original studio probably doesn't even exist anymore.

Magwik

Banned
Dead Rising 4 Special Edition " scheduled to be released on PlayStation 4 will be posted on December 7, 2017!

2017 PlayStation Experience will begin at 1:00 PM on
Saturday, December 9

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Glad they went with DMC1 Dante. Easily his second best look.

DMC2>DMC>DmC(Yes I'm serious)>DMC4>Speedo Dante from Viewtiful Joe>DMC3>Garry Busey from MvCI

pa22word

Honestly I'm dissapointed they keep letting capcom Vancouver make the dead risings instead of the original japanese studio. They just don't get what the made the original so good. The original studio probably doesn't even exist anymore.
Even taking that into account--which I don't think is true because dead rising 2 exists--Dead Rising 4 is a trash game even by its own standards. They made a perfectly good base for zombie warriors in Dead Rising 3 that they somehow managed to ruin in Dead Rising 4 simply out of incompetence and a rush to copy what everyone else in the gaming world without a thought as to how that would effect anything else in the game.

That's what makes dr4 such an oddly managed mess of a game. It's not simply bad, but bad in ways that don't make any sense given the context. It's just shockingly bad in a way that I haven't seen since something like DMC2 in the way of just sequels just utterly missing the point /and/ failing on it's own merits.

Even taking that into account--which I don't think is true because dead rising 2 exists--Dead Rising 4 is a trash game even by its own standards. They made a perfectly good base for zombie warriors in Dead Rising 3 that they somehow managed to ruin in Dead Rising 4 simply out of incompetence and a rush to copy what everyone else in the gaming world without a thought as to how that would effect anything else in the game.

That's what makes dr4 such an oddly managed mess of a game. It's not simply bad, but bad in ways that don't make any sense given the context. It's just shockingly bad in a way that I haven't seen since something like DMC2 in the way of just sequels just utterly missing the point /and/ failing on it's own merits.

Well 2 is partially true because the game was also worked on by the original japanese devs

"Dead Rising 2 is being developed in partnership with up and coming Canadian developer Blue Castle Games. A number of members from the original Dead Rising team will be working alongside Blue Castle Games throughout the development process"

Dead Rising 3 and 4 had no input by them and are capcom vancouver works.

TreIII

I love that I can get DMC1 Dante (and sometimes Alastor, too!) almost everywhere besides another proper DMC release.

Durden77

Was 4 really shite? I loved both 1 and 2 (never played Off the Record), and was alright with 3 but only played about a 4th of it. It's been a while since I've had some DR action and wouldn't mind pickin this up if it'll give me the goods.

Bridges

Will these updates be coming to the Xbox version as well?

I hated this game, but when the Xbox One X comes out I'll probably go back to it and do the Overtime DLC (which I still can't believe they got away with selling the "true" ending).

If a Dead Rising 5 ever happens I pray they give it to a new team.

pa22word

Well 2 is partially true because the game was also worked on by the original japanese devs

"Dead Rising 2 is being developed in partnership with up and coming Canadian developer Blue Castle Games. A number of members from the original Dead Rising team will be working alongside Blue Castle Games throughout the development process"

Dead Rising 3 and 4 had no input by them and are capcom vancouver works.
Well they still worked on it. They obviously get it, they just went in a different direction with 3. You might not like it as much as 1 or 2, but it's not a bad game by any means. That's what makes 4 so mind boggling in hindsight. It's not even good as a zombie killing game, despite them having a solid base for just that in dr3.
Was 4 really shite? I loved both 1 and 2 (never played Off the Record), and was alright with 3 but only played about a 4th of it. It's been a while since I've had some DR action and wouldn't mind pickin this up if it'll give me the goods.

Ya it's trash, don't waste your time. Pick up dying light if you want some zombie carnage funtimes on a new system.

Yeah it’s about as bad as a game can be without being outright broken

Will these updates be coming to the Xbox version as well?

I hated this game, but when the Xbox One X comes out I'll probably go back to it and do the Overtime DLC (which I still can't believe they got away with selling the "true" ending).

If a Dead Rising 5 ever happens I pray they give it to a new team.
Yes

Wait what?? When did this get announced? Will this be a significant overhaul or will be similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Bridges

If 3 didn't keep you interested then 4 definitely has nothing for you.

If you love 1 and 2 you should probably get Off The Record. It's mostly the same as 2 but the tweaks they made make it a little bit more like 1 in certain ways, it's probably the definitive Dead Rising game at this point.

Neoxon

Capcom has been pushing X quite a bit as of late. Hopefully this eventually leads to X9 or at least a MMX Legacy Collection.

EvB

But DR gives such a specific type of zombie funtime carnage. Does this one just abandon that or what?

Damn....what happened here? I hadn't heard much about the game.

It’s very much along the same lines of Dr3, I enjoyed it. No Co-op in4 , instead a crummy multiplayer mode

I don't think it's as bad as some people make out, but it's still the worst Dead Rising game.

But DR gives such a specific type of zombie funtime carnage. Does this one just abandon that or what?

It’s an unfun plod with almost 0 redeeming qualities. The story isn’t interesting, the combat isn’t challenging and is less varied than any of the other games (I didn’t die a single time), Frank is an insufferable version of himself, pacing sucks (hope you enjoy stopping to do Batman Arkham detective mode puzzles every 15 minutes), side quests and psychos are gutted, and the complete removal of the timer system takes away any tension the series had.

I don’t really have anything nice to say about it other than that it’s not a buggy mess I guess? I would call it Dynasty Warriors with zombies but that would be insulting to a much more nuanced series.

pa22word

Yes, entirely so. They basically hollowed out everything about the game that was Dead Rising and shoved generic Ubisoft (and bad ubisoft stuff, at that) crap in, and ruined the gameplay via forcing you to only use weapons in strictly and entirely arbitrary ways that kill the dynamism of the series' gameplay loop.

Best summation I've seen is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZkib5-rHsI

I don't really have anything nice to say about it other than that it's not a buggy mess I guess? I would call it Dynasty Warriors with zombies but that would be insulting to a much more nuanced series.

That's the thing though, it even sucks at that! Dead Rising 3 was already basically zombie warriors, and they flat out /ruined/ the gameplay from that game that they used as a base for this one.

It's not even bad because they changed stuff. It's just bad.

The damage is done. They should really just leave this game in the past and Capcom should focus on a reboot or go all out for Dead Rising 5. Actually listen to fans of the series and not a bunch of focus tested nonsense. Adding skins from other popular series won't fix a boring game.

pa22word

Best game in the series.

I mean I'd really like to see a good faith argument for why it's better than Dead Rising 3.

Most people I've seen defend the game start from the basis of the timer and try to make an argument that's based on a false reality that the series just suddenly jumped from DR2 to DR4 with nothing in the middle and instead of DR4 just being a bad game the argument becomes "it's just different" and "you're just an elitist asshole for not liking dumb zombie killing"

The unique thing about Dead Rising 4's badness stems from the fact that they already made a dumb zombie game that's main mechanical focus is just killing as many zombies as possible, and it's almost inarguably better than Dead Rising 4 in every way imaginable. More content, coop, double the weapons, each weapon has way more utility, drastically more in depth gameplay vs DR4's one button combat, ending isn't chopped off as dlc, actually has bosses, actually has side missions, the world isn't 80% a pointless empty shell of a game, etc

I love that I can get DMC1 Dante (and sometimes Alastor, too!) almost everywhere besides another proper DMC release.
Seriously, DMC4 was the first time you couldn't play as classic Dante and I thought they were finally going to fix that with Special Edition, but nope. (I know there's a mod but I want the official version!)

Top Bottom