• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno: What Happened?

Mendrox

Game was way too short, I remember that I played through it in about 4 hours.

Also I will never forget how one Boss shots little babies out of her nipples. Straight up crazy.

Game was good designed imo.

jeemer

I played through it and I've never played a GoW game. I thought it was just a bit bland, soulless and lacking challenge. The most memorable thing for me was the cutscenes, I enjoyed the style of them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There was zero fucking reason to call it Dante's Inferno beyond the idea that they probably liked the sound of the name. And yes, it was a derivative and completely forgettable game.

danmaku

It was simply a mediocre GoW clone. At least GoW has high production value and absurdly good graphics. Dante's Inferno had... the title? EA tried very hard with the PR campaign (remember the crazy PR stunts?) and it still didn't sell well. I guess GoW is enough for most people, they don't need more.

glaurung

They did not innovate enough to differentiate from GoW and their overall art style was a bit too disturbing to become popular.

The fact that they shat all over Alighieri didn't help either.

Still, I got a platinum trophy for the game on PS3. Never bothered with those half-baked DLC packs.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Huh? Did you fall asleep during the game?

No, I just don't remember which part of the poem had Dante describing his giant fucking Death scythe, that stupid cross he's stitched to himself, or when he killed thousands of hell monsters. Might've skipped that page.

Edit: They could've called it anything else, just said "oh yeah we were heavily inspired by Dante's Inferno", and the whole thing would come off as way less embarrassing...

Piccoro

The game is very good. I enjoyed it.

One of the best things that I enjoyed about it was the Trials of St. Lucia DLC: It added 2 player online Co-op missions, and a custom mission builder.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
While not as good as God of War it was still a fun romp. Would like a sequel, but I guess the IP is just as dead as Dead Space after DS3 killed it.

TheMoon

No, I just don't remember which part of the poem had Dante describing his giant fucking Death scythe, that stupid cross he's stitched to himself, or when he killed thousands of hell monsters. Might've skipped that page.

Edit: They could've called it anything else, just said "oh yeah we were heavily inspired by Dante's Inferno", and the whole thing would come off as way less embarrassing...

That's what adaptations are for. They're not 1:1 translations.

roxya

Game was way too short, I remember that I played through it in about 4 hours.

Also I will never forget how one Boss shots little babies out of her nipples. Straight up crazy.

Game was good designed imo.

Pretty sure you did not complete it in 4 hours.

Read the OP and laughed. Dante's Inferno is a solid game. The story was better than GoW 3, the gameplay was decent. I would play a sequel. I don't get the hate. Dante's Inferno could find an audience right about now it's a ghost town on next gen in the hack and slash area.

Dante's Inferno should get a 1080p 60fps remaster.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That's what adaptations are for. They're not 1:1 translations.
Well in that case I look forward to the new third-person cover shooter, Moby Dick, where Ishmael, a former asteroid miner, chases a giant sentient whale across space, defeating his telepathically controlled army of fish-men. All of this, of course, to avenge the rape and murder of his robot wife Lucille-1. This is after he stitches the shape of a fishhook into his chest.

TheMoon

Well in that case I look forward to the new third-person cover shooter, Moby Dick, where Ishmael, a former asteroid miner, chases a giant sentient whale across space, defeating his telepathically controlled army of fish-men. All of this, of course, to avenge the rape and murder of his robot wife Lucille-1. This is after he stitches the shape of a fishhook into his chest.

Note how this wasn't me saying it's good that way, just that it's completely within the confines of the concept of adaptations.

Read the OP and laughed. Dante's Inferno is a solid game. The story was better than GoW 3, the gameplay was decent. I would play a sequel. I don't get the hate. Dante's Inferno could find an audience right about now it's a ghost town on next gen in the hack and slash area.

Dante's Inferno should get a 1080p 60fps remaster.

It already was 60fps.

StuBurns

Banned
It was the only game I actively wanted to fail. Actually, only except their other game The Ripper, which was thankfully canned.

Vapid clone with literary rape.

Pociask

As long as it starts with the first person narrator saying "Call me Ishmael," sounds legit.

Paradise Lost would have been a much better poem to turn into a game. At least it has battles!

Interesting... would you play as the angels, where your battle against fellow immortals is essentially pointless, as you're just waiting for Jesus to roll out on his battle chariot of awesomeness? Or would you play as Satan, where not only are you outnumbered 2 to 1, but you are destined to lose as soon as Jesus rolls out on aforementioned chariot?

I always thought of the game as a GoW for Xbox owners and at the end it felt too similar to GoW (which I suppose was fine for Xbox owner but it seems overall gotovershadowed by GoW3.

I enjoyed the game, the first cicles were a blast and the art direction just kept inviting me to progress. The later circles were uninspired though and that is my major drawback from the game.

It was simply a mediocre GoW clone. At least GoW has high production value and absurdly good graphics. Dante's Inferno had... the title? EA tried very hard with the PR campaign (remember the crazy PR stunts?) and it still didn't sell well. I guess GoW is enough for most people, they don't need more.
Are we sure Dante's Inferno didn't sell enough ?, any numbers ?

Also I have to disagree, I can't get enough of Hack n Slash games, GoW is by no means enough, this is my favorite genre and it isn't getting enough love, I'm looking forward to Darksiders 3 and Castlevania Lords of Shadow 3, if we ever get any of them.

Yeah, I was disappointed after being so hyped for it. Really great visual design as is nearly always the case with Visceral (Hardline makes me want to vomit though). There were some cool scenarios, encounters, and mechanics here and there, but it really failed to come together. I wonder how big of a team/budget/dev period they had compared to the Dead Space games. It sucks that we'll probably never get a sequel... It could be great if it got the love and care it needed.

Teeth

They deserve tons of accolades for showing full on, two foot dick.

And normal sized testicles from behind.

Games need to mature, and with their predilection for breasts over dick, it's never going to happen. Dante's Inferno was a step in the right direction that other developers have failed to grab ahold of with two hands.

Piccoro

Also I have to disagree, I can't get enough of Hack n Slash games, GoW is by no means enough, this is my favorite genre and it isn't getting enough love, I'm looking forward to Darksiders 3 and Castlevania Lords of Shadow 3, if we ever get any of them.

Hey man, that's my favorite genre too! Bro fist!
q19B9.gif

I just have to disagree with you on one thing. Our genre IS getting enough love! Just a few weeks ago we got the amazing Bayonetta 1 & 2!

Yeah, they should have done like the Tom Clancy series and actually follow closely what he wrote.

Wait.

I liked the game, it's not one of my favorites but I'm glad that I played it at least. In terms of narrative I thought it outpaced GoW, but not by much. I mean, yeah, Visceral had the convenience of ripping lines right from the poem for the script, but you can't say Dante is more generic or boring than Kratos. I do agree with the sentiment regarding the "weightiness" or lack thereof in the combat system.

Also, Satan's schlong is getting a lot of press in this thread, do the Lust demons with the 4-foot prehensile spiked clitorises get no love?

Because that's all they want, bloody bloody love.

danmaku

Not enough for EA. They wanted a new AAA multimillion seller and obviously they didn't get it. They also scrapped the PC port, iirc, so it clearly underperformed.

MaDKaT

I started out really liking the game but damn if the last bit didnt kill the game for me. Basically devolving into achievement whoring mini events. Just felt so lazy and uninspired. I hated every bit of that and it really soured the whole game for me. Up to that point, the game was pretty solid and I enjoyed the setting. Nothing terribly original and certainly not without its flaws. Would have liked to have seen a sequel.

It was a fun game but a little bit conservative. Didn't really break any new ground.

It gets too much criticism. I for one, was excited for a sequel.

All the critics were too busy trying to defend Kratos's honor. Maybe it will come back as a smaller DL only title.

watchdog

I had a good time with the game. The combat, IMO, was solid. I just wish there would have been a greater variety of enemies. Also, some of the writing wasn't all that great but I felt that it served the game well enough.

Hey man, that's my favorite genre too! Bro fist!
q19B9.gif

I just have to disagree with you on one thing. Our genre IS getting enough love! Just a few weeks ago we got the amazing Bayonetta 1 & 2!
We technically only got Bayonetta 2, and the year is void for people like me with no WiiU, and then you look into 2015 and it is a desert, nothing in the horizon except HellBlade.
Not enough for EA. They wanted a new AAA multimillion seller and obviously they didn't get it. They also scrapped the PC port, iirc, so it clearly underperformed.
But that's the thing, EA is pretty delusional when it comes to sales and what success mean, they wanted Dead Space 3 to sell 5 millions, and from the first day I knew that will never happen, they need to dial their expectations down. ((Dead Space 1 & 2 each sold around 2 million copies, Don't tell me this isn't great)).

EA set very high standards just like Ubisoft, and if you ask me that's pretty stupid, They overspend on their titles and expect crazy unrealistic sales, while other games get fraction of the resources and end up as a success due to right expectations.

Timeaisis

I was just thinking about this game this morning, actually. I liked it for what it was. Sure, it was very clone-y, but I can say that about a bunch of other AAA games. Dante's Inferno had awesome art direction and a fairly standard (but fun) combat system.

I don't think anything really "happened". They just wanted to make a western action game, and the only one you can really compete with is GoW, so they went with that style of gameplay. Not sure what people were expecting, there.

I'd love to see a sequel, but I doubt we'll ever get one.

Mdk7

It clearly lacked polish and development time, fuck the last part was basically just a series of arenas!
But i still had fun with it, and i'd totally be there for a sequel.
There are never enough action games for my taste! :)

Top Bottom