• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Matter (Steam, $15) ABRUPTLY ends 4 hours in b/c the devs ran out of time/money.

News Bot

Banned
hWmSqNJ.jpg

IN GAME FORM

The Simpsons has covered everything.

I know that a rushed ending can happen for multiple reasons but this game, there is no way that they can do that and release it on steam without a huge heads up, it's extremely poor.

peace

Neo Member
You gets what you pay for. It costs less than half the price of a full game.

As soon as the first person who paid for it finished the game it would become news. I bet many people still bought the game knowing how it finished because it's a great game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I see you are entirely unfamiliar with the concept of games that don't come off a shelf for 50 or 60 bucks.

There are many, many indie games that cost the same amount or less that have complete endings.

As soon as the first person who paid for it finished the game it would become news. I bet many people still bought the game knowing how it finished because it's a great game.

Right? The cost of the game should come into play when dealing with content inside. So if a game sells for 10 bucks, it has no right to have an ending, storyline, gameplay, or anything fun. At 5 bucks, it's basically a text simulator. At 1 dollar, you get a rock and some sand and a note saying "go outside".

faridmon

There are a lot of meaty games that re downloadable and have ending(s) for that price.

I want to say, I feel for the dev, but shipping a game in such incomplete state and have the audacity to actually tell it straight with out any guilt is sort of awful from them.

They should have just said it in the first place and be done with it. Now a great game is having a negative PR just because the devs happened to ship an incomplete version of it without telling anyone.

Son this is bullshit..
You want to promote your product? The price is 14 dollars too high for it then
Next time when i get some chicken roasted for 1 euro less i'll be sure to ask if there's actually meat inside AMD if the meat has been cooked
Or if they left it rare because they couldn't pay the electricity Bill..

BiggNife

Uh

Have you played any game on PSN or XBLA in the past 8 years

There are plenty of complete experiences that cost $15. Implying that the price tag gives it a pass on being literally incomplete is horseshit.

d1rtn4p

I have this AWESOME car I want to sell you...

Slacker

Not available to purchase on Steam at the moment. On the store page:

Notice: Currently there is a known issue at the end of the game. The developer is aware of the issue and they are working on a patch as a solution.

Now on the Steam site:

Notice: Currently there is a known issue at the end of the game. The developer is aware of the issue and they are working on a patch as a solution.

Krakn3Dfx

This is pretty messed up, not to mention short sighted on the part of the developers. If they had released this as an early access project on Steam, sounds like it's a pretty interesting, enjoyable title, and they probably would have made the money to put towards completing it. As it stands now the community will just have a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to this game and probably any game these guys try and put out.

Think your first Kickstarter failed? Just wait.

epmode

Think your first Kickstarter failed? Just wait.

Sigh.

Besides the fact that this game WAS NOT FUNDED BY KICKSTARTER IN ANY WAY, why do you seem to be so happy to point out a problematic crowd-funded game? I can't fathom why anyone would write off an entire funding method when it's already responsible for some of the most exciting videogame projects in the last decade.

edit: Unless I just misread your post and you're saying that these guys will not be able to secure funding to finish the game. Which is entirely possible.

Slacker

Sigh.

Besides the fact that this game WAS NOT FUNDED BY KICKSTARTER IN ANY WAY, why do you seem to be so happy to point out a problematic crowd-funded game? I can't fathom why anyone would write off an entire funding method when it's already responsible for some of the most exciting game releases in the last decade.

Krakn3Dfx isn't doing that at all.

Krakn3Dfx

Sigh.

Besides the fact that this game WAS NOT FUNDED BY KICKSTARTER IN ANY WAY, why do you seem to be so happy to point out a problematic crowd-funded game? I can't fathom why anyone would write off an entire funding method when it's already responsible for some of the most exciting game releases in the last decade.

I'm not writing off Kickstarter, I'm writing off the developer's ability to persuade people to donate to any future Kickstarter for themselves.

I personally have money in half a dozen Kickstarted projects, I think it's great. I think you may have misunderstood my post.

epmode

I did misunderstand. Sorry about that. It's hard to type quickly on a phone!

I suppose my post still applies to a few other people in this thread, though.

Timeaisis

"Ending" is subjective, however, ending abruptly like this and not really making any mention of it is a surefire way to piss off people and ensure you'll never work on a sequel.

Reading this topic kind of makes me wish for a "Worst videogame endings" thread, though.

rjc571

Banned
Maybe they'll make it so that the door that causes the game to abruptly end is chosen at random, leading to a fresh, new gameplay experience every time you play the game.

Coreda

I wonder how much of the backlash could have been turned around by acknowledging the issue formally, possibly with some kind of compensation to previous purchasers, and/or dropping the price of the game.

If I had been one who was affected by this I know I would have a change of heart had they done that.

It's very similar to having bad a experience on eBay and a seller handing it well by offering a full or partial refund, and communicating responsibly, etc. I've only had a few cases like that yet I've actually gained respect for one or two, even to the point of preferring their service.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sad update: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/202897/Dark_Matter_pulled_from_Steam_after_team_is_laid_off.php

Interwave, the studio behind the game, has now said that this abrupt ending was as a result of its Kickstarter failing earlier this year, and that it would be adding an ending in a later patch.

"At present, the end of the game may cause confusion and is not satisfactory," Iceberg CEO Erik Schreuder admitted. "We sincerely apologise for this, as it is not of the standard we would expect. We are working to offer a more conclusive and satisfying ending to the game as we speak and expect a fix to appear as soon we are able to."

However, what the team has failed to disclose is that it isn't working on the title anymore. Straight after the Kickstarter failed in August, most of the Interwave team was laid off, and the vast majority of the original Dark Matter developers are not working on the title any more, according to Gamasutra sources.

A source close to the studio told Gamasutra that Interwave is now a "sleeping company," with only a bare minimum of management at the studio, and insufficient developers to finish the title under current staffing levels.

More at the link. Ugh, what a mess all around.

Top Bottom