• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel |OT|

All finished now, DLC was ok, I'm a HUGE Souls fan and will lap up basically anything they offer but even I think it wasn't really worth the asking price.

Awesome final boss but then the anticlimactic feel afterwards was weird, and I was really hoping the DLC would flesh-out some of the stuff from the main game, characters, story, lore etc. *shrugs*

This DLC would have been a fine section of the main game but as a paid separate additional content type thing post release, I expected something different.

All finished now, DLC was ok, I'm a HUGE Souls fan and will lap up basically anything they offer but even I think it wasn't really worth the asking price.

Awesome final boss but then the anticlimactic feel afterwards was weird, and I was really hoping the DLC would flesh-out some of the stuff from the main game, characters, story, lore etc. *shrugs*

This DLC would have been a fine section of the main game but as a paid separate additional content type thing post release, I expected something different.

I also just finished it off, and I agree. Not that I didn't enjoy it, or even that it wasn't worth the price for me personally, but it does seem lacking.

RiggyRob

I'll be really annoyed if they don't implement a real form of closure with the final dlc.

This is kinda spoilers for our playthrough, but
it's my birthday, fuck it, Pimmsy ain't seeing this
: I would very surprised if this 1st DLC didn't link with the 2nd DLC in 2017.

This is kinda spoilers for our playthrough, but
it's my birthday, fuck it, Pimmsy ain't seeing this
: I would very surprised if this 1st DLC didn't link with the 2nd DLC in 2017.

I will finish the painting.
Of a cold, dark, and very gentle place.
So that it might make a home for someone, someday.

not to mention the whole pigment thing, and the fact Miyazaki confirmed it

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Someone explain that charge move from the DLC axe to me. You know, when they yell, charge, stun you, and then attack.

How is it that sometimes, after getting hit by that charge, I can dodge the attack that follows, and sometimes I can roll away? Is there a millisecond timing on the roll that I'm missing?

Lork

Someone explain that charge move from the DLC axe to me. You know, when they yell, charge, stun you, and then attack.

How is it that sometimes, after getting hit by that charge, I can dodge the attack that follows, and sometimes I can roll away? Is there a millisecond timing on the roll that I'm missing?
The rules that govern whether you can roll out of a stagger / escape a combo in this game are frustratingly arbitrary and inscrutable. it may as well be random, and for all we know, it is.

HereticJ

About to start.Is level 100 on NG+ fair or over levelled ?

I've been playing it for the first time on ng+ at SL98.

Enemies hit pretty hard but otherwise I never felt under leveled or over leveled for it. Currently on last boss, already beat the other and explored just about everything.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The rules that govern whether you can roll out of a stagger / escape a combo in this game are frustratingly arbitrary and inscrutable. it may as well be random, and for all we know, it is.
Yeah, and I think the poor netcode has a lot to do with it.

It's weird though because in Demon's Souls, despite the lag, I always knew when something was escapable and when something wasn't...!

Tarkus

Yeah, and I think the poor netcode has a lot to do with it.

It's weird though because in Demon's Souls, despite the lag, I always knew when something was escapable and when something wasn't...!
The jumping attacks of Valorheart are what's trash. It's got the range of a launch Washing Pole running attack.

Sande

This was too easy at the point where the developers advice you to play it. It's probably best played before setting foot into Lothric castle. I think DLC released months after the original game should be high level end-game content. It doesn't make any sense to just add something to the mid-game like this.

Also, it's way too short for the price tag.

Lork

Any guesses on when this will go on sale? I really want to play it but I'm not paying full price for such a small amount of content.
Probably not until at least a while after the next DLC comes out. If they put it on sale before then they would be undercutting their season pass and pissing off all their existing customers.

Kalentan

Question, does the DLC not work like Old Hunters where if your on NG+ then the DLC is NG+? I only ask cause I just finally got around to starting Ashes and I'm basically 2 shotting everything. Feels like I stepped into an early NG area.

Ferr986

Question, does the DLC not work like Old Hunters where if your on NG+ then the DLC is NG+? I only ask cause I just finally got around to starting Ashes and I'm basically 2 shotting everything. Feels like I stepped into an early NG area.

It does. It's just that the NG+ scaling on DS3 is not as harsh as BB's DLC.

Is the Way of White Corona any decent? Seems a little situational to me - you'd have to position yourself so that the disc hits the enemy on the way back, which is easier said than done for the Corvian Knights.

It's shit, It's a little better now that it got buffed, but still not worth it over a Sunlight Spear.

RiggyRob

We met the Painter!

Man, the forest in Snowy Mountain Pass is confusing as hell, it all looks the same to me. Interesting there's a
giant bell lying around in the forest - it's another instance of a bell being significant plot-wise, yet there's barely any lore about it.

The
Follower Torch
seems like it might actually be decent! It's interesting moveset wise, and the weapon art is impractical but very cool.

It's shit, It's a little better now that it got buffed, but still not worth it over a Sunlight Spear.

That sucks, but I guess Sunlight Spear is a boss Miracle so it'd be strange if the DLC spells were stronger.

i've finally unlocked a bunch of bonfires and keep being surprised to find new area after new area. there was so much criticism of this being too short and i disagree w all of it. so far it feels very comparable to the Oolacile DLC from DS1 in terms of size.

This was too easy at the point where the developers advice you to play it. It's probably best played before setting foot into Lothric castle. I think DLC released months after the original game should be high level end-game content. It doesn't make any sense to just add something to the mid-game like this.

really? those giant knights were too easy? cos they are killing the hell out of me, especially when i fall into that pit with the three of them, one of them constantly casting earthquake magic. i don't mind as they are fun to fight.

compared to mid-game areas like Iriythyll, Anor Londo, or Profaned Capitol it is tougher with larger, more non-linear areas and a heavier emphasis on crowd control/enemy placement awareness/smart dungeon crawling.

the areas also seem to have more variety while covering the same kind of interlocking expansive forest arenas of the DS1 DLC. only with all new enemies rather than some repeats. it may be smaller than those Oolacile forest areas (but maybe not?) but it is certainly greater in vertical complexity which makes it fun to find clusters of fire breathers/spear throwers and lead them on a chase through the forest, using the landscape for combat advantages. very cool level design that makes me excited for DLC 2!

smiled when i found the DS2-style tree falling shortcut. i really love that area, it reminds me of Darkroot Garden. this is one of the best forests a series full of good forests.

RiggyRob

It have it uses on PvP, but on PvE is not really good.

Yeah - I bet there's some kind of strategy that uses the disc to hit all 3 people in the Undead Match on the way forward and back.

i've finally unlocked a bunch of bonfires and keep being surprised to find new area after new area. there was so much criticism of this being too short and i disagree w all of it. so far it feels very comparable to the Oolacile DLC from DS1 in terms of size.

I think a fair bit has to do with the 'closedness' of it. I mean, we found the Earth Seeker and the Quakestone Hammer in places that are just dead ends. There's the Rope Bridge Cave bonfire that has two separate ways to get there, but then you're kind of funnelled to the chapel or the settlement by the side of the bridge.

Not that I think it's too short, but I can see why people would think that when comparing it to The Old Hunters in Bloodborne.

Man, reading people's repeated statements about enemy placement; pretty much an understatement. The enemy placement and the gangbangs are fucking shit. The DLC is really cool and interesting like any souls game, but the moment you walk and
find shit ton of mobs, then you get ambushed by more mobs, then you find an item guarded by five mobs in a very tight hallway, then you fucking fight 40 wolves

After that interesting segment, you fight 10 fucking trees at the same time. Such a half-assed DLC; so much wasted potential.

This is an early impression, so I am waiting to get to the PvP arena. I think I will start replaying the base game; I still have an urge to play a souls game.

I don't really care for the part with all the follower mobs after the bonfire where you first find the girl who does the painting. There are tons of enemies there and I found it confusing and non-intuitive to explore. I liked the verticality of the terrain, just not the gangs of enemies all the same we'd met before.

Jombie

I don't really care for the part with all the follower mobs after the bonfire where you first find the girl who does the painting. There are tons of enemies there and I found it confusing and non-intuitive to explore. I liked the verticality of the terrain, just not the gangs of enemies all the same we'd met before.

I dunno. I get a kick out of one of the Followers spotting you and signaling the others and surrounding you. They're fun to fight and mostly fair; there are more annoying mobs in the base game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hello fellow ash, I feel like I'm a bit stuck and was hoping someone could help.
(Area description/weapon name spoiler tagged)

Above the area where you fight the Millwood Knight who creates tremors and get the Earthseeker, it looks like there's another tree you can kick down, but I can't figure out how to get to that side...

Thanks for answering in advance.

Is it better than Great Lightning Spear now?

Edit: nope

No, but at least seems to be faster than a GLS, which at anything other that close range sucks balls.

Man, reading people's repeated statements about enemy placement; pretty much an understatement. The enemy placement and the gangbangs are fucking shit. The DLC is really cool and interesting like any souls game, but the moment you walk and
find shit ton of mobs, then you get ambushed by more mobs, then you find an item guarded by five mobs in a very tight hallway, then you fucking fight 40 wolves

After that interesting segment, you fight 10 fucking trees at the same time. Such a half-assed DLC; so much wasted potential.

This is an early impression, so I am waiting to get to the PvP arena. I think I will start replaying the base game; I still have an urge to play a souls game.

1st area mobs don't follow you after you get down to the other area.

2nd area with wolves, just kiss the right wall, and move forward, kill the single wolves before he howls and calls the whole pack. Now you can move to the milkwood warriors area without fighting more that one wolf. You can even reach the bonfire from there...

Belakor

Banned
Hello fellow ash, I feel like I'm a bit stuck and was hoping someone could help.
(Area description/weapon name spoiler tagged)

Above the area where you fight the Millwood Knight who creates tremors and get the Earthseeker, it looks like there's another tree you can kick down, but I can't figure out how to get to that side...

Thanks for answering in advance.

There is a path to the left before the ground drops you to the earthseeker knights.Follow it and you'll find the tree later

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
There is a path to the left before the ground drops you to the earthseeker knights.Follow it and you'll find the tree later

Oh cool, thanks!
Fortunately I only learned the ground drops after having cleared out that area below. Must have missed the other path, so will take a closer look tonight.

I still havent finished this. I just can't drum up the enthusiasm to go back right now. That's the first time this has happened to me for any souls game.

I might just hold off until the next DLC drops and just play through both.

nkarafo

I can't deal with the last boss of the DLC. Maybe it's my built, i don't know. I just cannot beat it. That's the only boss left in the entire game.

Also 3 different phases? Fuck this, they went overboard with this, doesn't worth the trouble.

I can't deal with the last boss of the DLC. Maybe it's my built, i don't know. I just cannot beat it. That's the only boss left in the entire game.

Also 3 different phases? Fuck this, they went overboard with this, doesn't worth the trouble.
Are you a strength build? I don't usually play as such, but this boss seems like it would be tough going for a big slow weapon user.

The first phase is rather simple, parries are easy - although I get tons of partials (where I parry but also take damage) which is my poor timing. The second phase, I'm sure I read that the big guy takes more damage so I would concentrate on him. Third phase, fuck it - I usually summon the NPC and he still always dies during the third phase!

If you have a fast weapon use a bleed resin, especially in the second phase if you are going to town on the big guy, he goes down VERY fast, which helps with keeping the NPC alive for phase 3. That's all I've got, I suck at this boss!

nkarafo

Are you a strength build? I don't usually play as such, but this boss seems like it would be tough going for a big slow weapon user.

The first phase is rather simple, parries are easy - although I get tons of partials (where I parry but also take damage) which is my poor timing. The second phase, I'm sure I read that the big guy takes more damage so I would concentrate on him. Third phase, fuck it - I usually summon the NPC and he still always dies during the third phase!

If you have a fast weapon use a bleed resin, especially in the second phase if you are going to town on the big guy, he goes down VERY fast, which helps with keeping the NPC alive for phase 3. That's all I've got, I suck at this boss!
Hmm, i'm not sure how to summon him, do i have to do a quest?

Also yeah, STR build here.

TitusTroy

seems like with the final boss a summon helper is almost required...way too tedious having to go through all 3 stages every time you die

Top Bottom