• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 - Famitsu Translations [SPOILERS]

Has it ever been confirmed that the games actually all share the same narrative? Not just a loose connection but a direct storyline?

Yeah. In DS2 you're able to travel to an area from the Dark Souls 1 prologue movie, and there are boss souls that are clearly the bosses from DS1.

Phased

Its interesting to bring up a change in style though, because on a serious note, from the pictures and videos I have seen, the new style seems to be a cross between Bloodborne and a real, apocalyptic Dark Souls. I mean Dark Souls 1 and 2 are post apocalyptic, but on a surface level, the design seems like your average fantasy world. With this one, they are really trying to hammer in that desolate, destroyed feel of a world long gone.

Dark Souls 3 is very clearly building off of the Bloodborne Engine which explains the similar visuals, especially lighting (although with a very decided Dark Souls flair to them)

To be fair though, the art style of From is so distinctive you could probably pick it out no matter what game they make.

You're able to travel to the past, where the earth is nothing but grey archtrees, during the war between Gwyn and the rest vs his Dragons.

Huh no, thats the corpse of the real
ancient dragon
. or a real lazy design to use the ancient dragon model to represent a dead dragon from
the original battle

Holy shit I just noticed the writing on the sword. Thread of 2016 contender right here.

Also motherfucking Firelink Shrine, hype as fuck.

Edit: Also tiny mysterious dude saying he's a Lord? Furtive Pygmy confirm????

I dunno, so far the lord of cinders is a different title compared to the original lords of the flame, which yes, Pygmy is the only one alive still.

And yeah looks like FROm is going to a safe route a replicate Dark Souls 1 enviroment

OP, you've given us a gift. I saw your pictures first, then the scans, and they matched so beautifully for each one. Glorious work. (I'm depressed that the 'dark, wriggling thing' and 'grotesque maggot people' were in fact very accurate to the scans. Creeepy. Nooooooo.)

Huh no, thats the corpse of the real
ancient dragon

I dunno, so far the lord of cinders is a different title compared to the original lords of the flame, which yes, Pygmy is the only one alive still

You're crazy. That location is clearly
the past.

Also, the Pygmy being alive is questionable, if he was in fact Manus. That being said, there was a character that previously had the Lord of Cinder title.
Gwyn

You know the ancient dragon you find in the Dragon Shrine is
not a dragon

The Lord of cinder title is different now, like the idea of getting the crowns makes you powerful from Dark Souls 2 nonsensical logic

So far Pygmy is
the only original Lord "alive" after breaking the Dark Soul into million of pieces, his/her fate is still unknown.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know the ancient dragon you find in the Dragon Shrine is
not a dragon

The Lord of cinder title is different now, like the idea of getting the crowns makes you powerful from Dark Souls 2 nonsensical logic

What no, you
enter a super dead dragon's memory in Tseldora. Memories reflect the past. The past you go to in that instance is super grey, there are archtrees everywhere and there's a dead dragon. It's clearly the aftermath of Gwyn's dragon genocide

What no, you
enter a super dead dragon's memory in Tseldora. Memories reflect the past. The past you go to in that instance is super grey, there are archtrees everywhere and there's a dead dragon. It's clearly the aftermath of Gwyn's dragon genocide

Yeah, that one have the body of
an ancient dragon that not correspond to the everlasting dragon type who are the original dragons from that time.
DsK2 is weird with those details

Yeah, that one have the body of
an ancient dragon that not correspond to the everlasting dragon type who are the original dragons from that time.
DsK2 is weird with those details

Its meant to be us going back in time. To when Gwyn and the Dragons fought. But yeah Dark Souls 2 makes the mistake of not having the Dragon look like an Everlasting one and they stupidly give Dragons Souls when they were never said to have any in the original game.

For DS3 the Lords and Thrones thing sounds like From trying to fit Dark Souls 2's mythos into Dark Souls 3. I hope theres a good explanation for why thrones are so important, because in 2 sitting on the Throne of Want felt like it had no significance whatsoever. I need a good reason for why the Lords need their thrones, not just because magic like the stupid crown stuff.

Ferr986

I dunno, so far the lord of cinders is a different title compared to the original lords of the flame, which yes, Pygmy is the only one alive still.

And yeah looks like FROm is going to a safe route a replicate Dark Souls 1 enviroment

I don't think he's the Pygmy. The scans says the little dude proclaims himself as a Lord of Cinder, and the Pygmy was like the opposite of a Lord of Cinder, he was the one with the Dark Soul.

Also, sucks that we're going to have another level up waifu. FROM pls....

Btw, amaaazing OP lol

If I remember clearly, it was confirmed that
Solarie
did light the bonfire on his timeline.

Whether the chosen undead did or not light the bonfire, is not clear.

So confirmed Lord of Cinder? ;)

wk1kRqs.png

*ugh* *ugh*
*hee heeeee*
*SHAMONE!!!*

...we miss you michael...

Amazing thread OP. This is why I love GAF. People just go the extra mile here... in good and bad :D

Hype is getting real for me. Maybe I should bite on that DS2 SOTFS sale on ps store.

I hear it's no good though

It carries the same connotations as in Dark 1.

Lords of Cinder are
unique beings who've proven themselves powerful enough to link the flame and prolong the Age of Fire.

The fact that the bosses are all or nearly all Lords of Cinder (I remember hearing this somewhere, I might be wrong) means that at the very least, if DS1 was cycle 1, and DS2 cycle 2 or 3, that we're at cycle 20-30 by now.

Would explain why the world looks so jacked up.

BRAVO, OP! :) *slowclap*

This game looks so weighty and dense. Like the best of Bloodborne, Dark and Demon's Souls in one package! I think it will stand on its own in a way very few games with a "3" in the title do.

Ferr986

The fact that the bosses are all or nearly all Lords of Cinder (I remember hearing this somewhere, I might be wrong) means that at the very least, if DS1 was cycle 1, and DS2 cycle 2 or 3, that we're at cycle 20-30 by now.

Would explain why the world looks so jacked up.

DS2 wasn't cycle 2 or 3, there were a lot of cycles in between the two games too.

We don't know if all the bosses are Lords, probably not, but we indeed fight them. The world is fucked up because the flame is about to extinguish in 3.

Amazing thread OP. This is why I love GAF. People just go the extra mile here... in good and bad :D

Hype is getting real for me. Maybe I should bite on that DS2 SOTFS sale on ps store.

I hear it's no good though

If you never played DS2 I would bite. Even if it's not as good as the first game is still a damn good game.

Sephirus

Gotta bookmark this thread for posterity's sake. Amazing work OP, who needs the official screenshots when you have drawings like that! :D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Say dudes, what do you folks think the best lore video for Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, if I want to get a comprehensive outlook for all the stories/settings/etc without having to play the games themselves? Trying to fit in both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 before April is just too much and I am afraid if I pursue that path I will be very burned out of Dark Souls 3 before I even begin it, especially since Bloodborne is basically all I play right now, hahah.

I am currently watching From the Dark playthrough from EpicNameBro for Dark Souls. It's LONG, hahaha, but I really like his voice, his style, and the way he always showed item descriptions whenever he found something new in the game and how he took time to explain them.

DS2 wasn't cycle 2 or 3, there were a lot of cycles in between the two games too.

We don't know if all the bosses are Lords, probably not, but we indeed fight them. The world is fucked up because the flame is about to extinguish in 3.

If you never played DS2 I would bite. Even if it's not as good as the first game is still a damn good game.

Sure, I'll believe that. My main point doesn't rely on specifics though, but considering how absolutely wrecked the entire world is, and the fact that the flame is about to die out entirely, it's clearly pretty far into the far future past the other two games.

I have to say, I'm pretty ecstatic about going back to Firelink. The idea of being able to traverse, in a limited fashion, DS1 and possibly DS2 areas totally reworked has me on pins and needles.

I personally think DS3 ought to go for it where DS2 decided to shy away, and have
The Chosen Undead
be the final boss encounter.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The graphics are better than I expected.

Well, they're most likely using the Bloodborne engine, so it should be expected to have graphics on par with it. Perhaps slightly worse if Sony money gave them a higher budget.

UrSuLeTzU

I laughed too hard at the "holding L1" pic. I wonder if TC is the TylerCrunch who did movie sins reviews in the comment section for RWBY.

Well, they're most likely using the Bloodborne engine, so it should be expected to have graphics on par with it. Perhaps slightly worse if Sony money gave them a higher budget.
If Sony help funded and owns the bloodborne ip wouldn't from have to make a new engine? Or is that not how this works?

Vex_

Banned
This pic right here is actually legit tho:

6yy207m.png

Looks like that newgrounds game alien hominid type of artwork. Or castle crashers.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If Sony help funded and owns the bloodborne ip wouldn't from have to make a new engine? Or is that not how this works?

Nah From's used their own internal engine/s for years. Like the talk about them using Sony's PhyreEngine for DeS and Dark Souls was actually debunked by the PhyreEngine team :lol

Edit: Relevant Tweet

FIREKEEPER
The/a firekeeper of this game (not sure if they're implying she's the only one that remains), she protects the bonfire at Firelink Shrine and exists to serve the player.
She is losing the light and conceals her eyes with a coronet.

Don't tell me this is the new level up shithead. LET ME JUST DO IT AT THE BONFIRE, FROM. COME ON.

Top Bottom