• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Story and Lore Discussion [Unmarked Spoilers]

JerkShep

What if Ocelotte was actually a stillborn child or died soon after Gwynevere gave birth to her ? The power of the gods is fading and, a bit like Bloodborne's Great Ones, maybe even their ability to reproduce is compromised. The Lothric brothers are said to be sickly and one can't use his legs. Imagine if Ocelotte actually died, that could drove both Gwynevere and Ocerois to the brink of despair. Gwynevere goes to become Rosaria (it's a stretch, but she is definitely connected to Gwynevere), Ocerois tries to find the secret of immortality like Seath did and goes mad in the process, imagining that Ocelotte is still alive.

I want to look into it personally with item descriptions and all, I'm towards the end of the game so I might do a better post with references later today.

cerulily

it seems like Anor Londo and the Painted World fused somehow after DS1 to create the Boreal Valley.

There was an entire castle town below anor londo in dark sous 1. It's pretty clear that is what the Boreal Valley is. Snow is really just a signifier of all the light/sun/warmth having long left Anor Londo.

Probably safer to err on the side of "artistic symbolism" than fanfiction theory

Can we talk about how depressing it is that Quelana went back to find her sisters corpse and died embracing her :( Miyazaki, why!?

that's definitely the likeliest possibility, though considering Aldrich also has parts of Nito and Priscilla within him, I think it's also possible he just went around devouring the corpses of the gods we defeated in DS1.

Or he was a Chosen Undead.

Zocano

There's stuff like Alva, Creighton, and Gilligan from Dark Souls 2 as minor NPC appearances but none are substantial. Just more references just to reference.

The closest thing I would call a tie is the slight possibility that Ocelotte is related to Shanalotte in some manner.

Auctopus

It's a shame that at this rate, ENB won't be finished with his playthrough for several weeks if not months.

He immediately made a connection in his third video yesterday that the Gold Pine Resin in DS3 makes a reference to the Mushroom Men in Darkroot Forest.

pfff yah can't believe I forgot that

I like to call that room the room of references

Fan Service Room (Smough armor upstairs, black knights, paintings)

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I need a good explanation on the 3 Firelink Shrines, but the answer will more than likely be "Time is convoluted" bullshit.

At least DS3 confirms that Super Smough is the canon fight in DS1.

It's a shame that at this rate, ENB won't be finished with his playthrough for several weeks if not months.

He immediately made a connection in his third video yesterday that the Gold Pine Resin in DS3 makes a reference to the Mushroom Men in Darkroot Forest.

Fan Service Room (Smough armor upstairs, black knights, paintings)

Yea about 5 seconds into his playthrough where he focuses on the difference between "the" and "a" fireproof, i got excited for what he will able to put together.

There was an entire castle town below anor londo in dark sous 1. It's pretty clear that is what the Boreal Valley is. Snow is really just a signifier of all the light/sun/warmth having long left Anor Londo.

Highly doubt that, tons of things suggest painted world theory
- Crow things come from painted world, hence implying PS comes from painted world
- Crow thing praying to a grave where the painted world is
- Yorshka

Zocano

I like the idea that the world is collapsing onto Lothric. I was super puzzled by some of the geography of Undead Settlement and how parts of the ground is just giving way as if from a tremendous earthquake and that is a good answer to that riddle. Also helps explain the Kiln geography at the end. Also I think it makes for a good and different interpretation of the Lords of Cinder "converging" onto Lothric. The land is literally pulling them together.

I hate the absolute use of endless mountain ranges as the scenery backdrop for almost every location. It just makes the world feel so weird in that regard. Almost feels lazy in a sense especially since it never really feels justified. Would almost expect endless gray land instead of mountains.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Ocelotte being a child of dragons, sounds really familiar...
qkns57D.jpg

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting from the other thread which hopefully will stay dead so we can discuss in here:

All the evidence points to her being Rosaria, she gives birth to ocellote then becomes the fucked up god of rebirth.

She is 100% queen of lothric from divine blessing alone, if we cant take that as fact, we cant take anything as fact.

Wait, are you saying Gwynevere is Rosaria AND the former Queen of Lothric? I don't know about that one. What evidence do you mean?

Also I think Yorshka saying Father Gwyn and Sister Gwynevere is a red herring. I think she's using those terms as religious terms rather than familial, in the same way we call priests Father. If she's Gwyn's daughter, which dragon did he fuck to produce that? And when? It doesn't add up.

I don't think Yorshka is Priscilla and I don't think Aldrich ate Priscilla either, though I think that's more likely than the former. The description of Lifehunt Scythe says Aldrich "perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding", which I think refers to Yorshka. One of the items, I forget which, also says that Pontiff imprisoned one of the old gods for Aldrich to devour, which can either mean Gwyndolyn or Yorshka, as she does say she is imprisoned.

Zocano

That shit is so fucking dumb, it just feels like "yeaaa dark souls 2 is still cannon, LOOooook at picture, its not all just silly references"

And yet there's no hints at all about the children of the Dark (which I thought was a super cool lore addition from Dark Souls 2) :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I need a good explanation on the 3 Firelink Shrines, but the answer will more than likely be "Time is convoluted" bullshit.

At least DS3 confirms that Super Smough is the canon fight in DS1.

Out of my ass theory:

the 2nd handmaid sells Artorias's set, could it have possibly been his Firelink Shrine at one point?

VaatiVidya type of stretching right there :lol

in all likelihood, I think it's just there for no reason

Neoweee

I really like the idea of the Painted World bleeding out into Anor Londo.

What are some DS2 connections you've noticed?

It's all pretty minor stuff. Various weapon sets, or NPC corpses or invasions without any dialogue.

- Gilligan's corpse by a bunch of smashed up ladders in Profane Capital.
- Creighton invasion.
- Alva invasion.
- Merchant lady in Firelink is one of the DS2 fire keepers.
- Item sets and descriptions.

And yet there's no hints at all about the children of the Dark (which I thought was a super cool lore addition from Dark Souls 2) :(

Yeah, that's kind of disheartening. It felt like there was a definite continuity of that thread from DS1-> DS1 DLC -> DS2 -> DS2 DLC, but it just got dumped hard as far as I know.

Auctopus

On the subject of landscaping. The thing I've become tired of very quickly is the cluster of rocks texture/technqiue they used a lot in the Nightmare Frontier in Bloodborne but now is holding up all of the floating areas in DS3. It sort of gives me the creeps as it doesnt' look natural but I think it's just an easy and light on technical resources.

That shit is so fucking dumb, it just feels like "yeaaa dark souls 2 is still cannon, LOOooook at picture, its not all just silly references"

Not to mention that she's evil and this is ages after it's found out. She's a shard of Manus, she's the abyss. No idea why people are still admiring her. The only reason people admired her in Drangleic was because she tricked the King etc.

They didn't even make the portrait curse you, thought that would've been a cool touch.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well the DLC might tie more into the Abyss/The Serpents/The Shards of Manus. We don't have the whole story yet.

Auctopus

The wiki armor sets page is getting bigger and bigger: The real fashion souls starts here.

Also, this is the description for the "Deep Gem"...

A gem of infused titanite. Found in the dregs of the Cathedral of the deep.

Used in infusion to create deep weapons.

Deep weapons inflict dark damage, but lose scaling effects.

There is a darkness that lies beyond human ken.

I'd be willing to accept that the Deep is the Abyss but I'd be very confused/disheartened if FROM had changed one of their most iconic areas/names/brands. Maybe the Deep is even worse than The Abyss.

About some other references to Dark Souls II:

You also have the Drakeblood Knights that ruined the city of Shulva in the Archdragon Peak.

Another that in my opinion is super important is that in Irythill of the Boreal Valley you have what call themselves the "Drang Knights", when you read the description of the weapons you get from them you also get this information:

"Paired spears of the Drang Knights, proclaimed descendants from the land known for the legend of the Linking of the Fire. When the Drang Knights disbanded, they scattered across the lands as sellswords. They quickly became known for shieldless, aggressive tactics that struck fear into the hearts of men."

They come from Drangleic, and they claim they are from the land known for the legend of the Linking of the Fire. Which makes sense because Drangleic is the first land where inheriting the throne meant to link the fire, and in this game you need the ashes of powerful beings tied to 5 thrones, to attempt to link the Fire.

Vuze

I assume this is also a thread to pose questions about some obscure stuff you noticed?
I just came across these humanoid shrooms in Farron Keep, anyone aware of how they tie into the world?

Hr02AC0.png

Auctopus

I assume this is also a thread to pose questions about some obscure stuff you noticed?
I just came across these humanoid shrooms in Farron Keep, anyone aware of how they tie into the world?

Hr02AC0.png

Mushroom men! Nice find.

Well, they're sentient fungi. I suppose they're just still knocking around. They're the apex predator seeing as they can knock out Kalameet with one punch.

As soon as I saw Farron keep, I thought that place was Oolacile/Darkroot Garden in the past. You can find Dusk's set and and Elizabeth in a cave.

Vuze

Mushroom men! Nice find.

Well, they're sentient fungi. I suppose they're just still knocking around. They're the apex predator seeing as they can knock out Kalameet with one punch.

Haha, cool. Forgive my ignorance, I've never finished DS1 and DS2 environment wasn't all too appealing to me so I can barely reference these. Most of DS3 however is really interesting to explore.

vladdamad

The wiki armor sets page is getting bigger and bigger: The real fashion souls starts here.

I'd be willing to accept that the Deep is the Abyss but I'd be very confused/disheartened if FROM had changed one of their most iconic areas/names/brands. Maybe the Deep is even worse than The Abyss.

My initial reaction to the Deep was that it was a Lovecraft reference, i.e. The Deep Ones. Could just be a reference, maybe this is what the Abyss is called by the people who live in Lothric. Definitely confusing though.

Seyavesh

isn't karla one of them? she says that's why she's locked up. it seems like she's another case of one of the more benevolent children of the dark like the snow queen from ds2

also alva being tortured to death/being stuck in the dungeon is pretty fuckin' grim given the whole heroic vibe with his armor description in ds2.

on the other hand my boy creighton stays winning

also, the smouldering lake being an ash lake reference is cool as hell. i guess it's supposed to be the demon ruins but the way the area looks and the general enemy layout is a super hard reference to it, down to the hydra-esque lightning worm

GorillaJu

Then why would they have Watchers of the Abyss?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I wonder if "deep" is a mistranslation. What is it in the japanese version?

Like Pope Sulyvhan turning into "Pontiff".

GorillaJu

Reposting from the other thread which hopefully will stay dead so we can discuss in here:

Wait, are you saying Gwynevere is Rosaria AND the former Queen of Lothric? I don't know about that one. What evidence do you mean?

Also I think Yorshka saying Father Gwyn and Sister Gwynevere is a red herring. I think she's using those terms as religious terms rather than familial, in the same way we call priests Father. If she's Gwyn's daughter, which dragon did he fuck to produce that? And when? It doesn't add up.

I don't think Yorshka is Priscilla and I don't think Aldrich ate Priscilla either, though I think that's more likely than the former. The description of Lifehunt Scythe says Aldrich "perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding", which I think refers to Yorshka. One of the items, I forget which, also says that Pontiff imprisoned one of the old gods for Aldrich to devour, which can either mean Gwyndolyn or Yorshka, as she does say she is imprisoned.

You make some really good points. I'm inclined to think you're right regarding Yorshka especially, the simplest answer is usually right, and yours makes a lot of sense.

GorillaJu

I wonder if "deep" is a mistranslation. What is it in the japanese version?

Like Pope Sulyvhan turning into "Pontiff".

Japanese for the deep is 深み - the deep, or deepness
abyss is 深淵 again a literal translation, 深淵 means abyss

sorry my grammar is getting shitty, its whiskey and souls night

every night is whiskey and souls night

;_;

Philippo

Question about the endings:
-What's the difference between the two End of Fire endings? When the MC steals the fire from the Guardian, is he offering it to the eclipse? And why?
-Aren't those two basically like the Usurpation of fire, where the Age of Darkness comes, but you're simply not the King of the Hollows?

convo

Nothing but slight item references. There's no real lore ties.

Shield of Want, Dragonrider Bow, Giant Tree

pretty much it.

From ENBs video the blue tearstone ring references the DS2 god Caitha instead of the generic DS1 description. We also got that one painting of queen Nashandra in the same room with the painting of Gwynewere. Although who knows how much that really means right now.

Neoweee

Aldrich is the leader of the Deep, and there are a lot of hints at the upcoming Age of Water:

The holy symbol of the Cathedral of the Deep, and crest of those who see beyond fire to the age of deep waters. Equip to pledge onself to the Aldrich Faithful covenant.

The faithful ensure that Aldrich, Devourer of Gods, remains undisturbed, by taking the form of loyal spirits and hunting down those who would trespass the ruined cathedral.

Summoning takes place automatically while this is equipped.

Soul of Aldrich.
One of the twisted souls, steeped in strength.

Use to acquire many souls, or transpose to extract its true strength.

When Aldrich ruminated on the fading of the fire, it inspired visions of a coming age of the deep sea.
He knew the path would be arduous, but he had no fear. He would devour the gods himself.

So, there's an implication that perhaps The Deep is something associated with the next era.

Dark Souls 3 was billed as the end of the series but not really the end of the series, so perhaps the next set of games change up the setting while still being part of the Dark Souls series.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of English localization, since Japanese is not available currently in the International version on Steam, I'm playing in English (after finishing the game once in Japanese on PS4), and the tutorial boss kind of surprised me.

The Japanese name was:
灰の審判者、グンダ

or something like "Gundyr, [Arbiter/Judge/Adjudicator] of the Ash," implying that he is the one who judges whether or not the Ash (the player) is a suitable vessel. The word they are using for judge or arbiter in this sense is very common in Japanese.

Not to be proud of my ignorance, but I had no idea what Iudex meant. I actually thought it was his first name or something until I looked it up. The English version explains his role in the item description of the coiled sword, but I felt it was an odd choice in terms of localization.

Neoweee

isn't karla one of them? she says that's why she's locked up. it seems like she's another case of one of the more benevolent children of the dark like the snow queen from ds2

That definitely seems to be the implication. She is the "Scorned Child of the Dark", and refers to herself as a monstrosity. She has an affinity for the dark, and only reluctantly teachers miracles. Her name follows the naming convention, too.

GorillaJu

In terms of English localization, since Japanese is not available currently in the International version on Steam, I'm playing in English (after finishing the game once in Japanese on PS4), and the tutorial boss kind of surprised me.

The Japanese name was:
灰の審判者、グンダ

or something like "Gundyr, [Arbiter/Judge/Adjudicator] of the Ash," implying that he is the one who judges whether or not the Ash (the player) is a suitable vessel. The word they are using for judge or arbiter in this sense is very common in Japanese.

Not to be proud of my ignorance, but I had no idea what Iudex meant. I actually thought it was his first name or something until I looked it up. The English version explains his role in the item description of the coiled sword, but I felt it was an odd choice in terms of localization.

I thought it was interesting that "Aldrich" is in Japanese "Eldritch." Like I wonder if the localization team thought westerners are too familiar with the word "Eldritch" as a descriptor and so changed it to sound more like a person's name.

Top Bottom