• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Story and Lore Discussion [Unmarked Spoilers]

Auctopus

Calm down man. you will die again when vaati reaches the same idea

Vaati is gonna deliver that Nito line with absolute certainty, laced in dramatic pauses.

I'm glad I got you to notice a significant detail you seemed to have missed, whether or not it reinforces anyone's arguments. Please be less dismissive and condescending about it next time, though.

I agree that we should be getting on better and working together but making assumptions with no real evidence is just as dismissive and leads to fabricated fan-fiction creations. Speaking of which...

Aldrich was made into a Lord of Cinder by Pontiff Sulyvahn so it's likely that the Lord's Souls were fed to him during that process (unless I'm misunderstanding how one becomes a Lord of Cinder). While he was in possession of Nito's Lord Soul, he probably took on some of his characteristics. Nito's corpse could have been found and fed to him but I think more of the power would have been in the soul anyway and we don't have anything to support that.

What I really want to know is what Gwyndolin was "ill" with that weakened him to such a state that Pontiff Sulyvahn could imprison him and feed him to Aldrich.

screenshot2016-04-16a26s21.png

Please use real in-game evidence if you're going to suggest something as nuanced as that chain of events.

Raist

Banned
The Chosen Undead killed Nito and the other Lords many ages ago so it's literally impossible for anyone to have eaten them.

I mean, if you want to use what is said in DS1 to automatically dismiss people's ideas, you shouldn't post about how many characters are Oceiros and Gwydolin's children, since according to that game she left Anor Londo and married Flame God Flann.

Yeah, I can see there's a resemblance.

Boss_0021_Nito.jpg

But nothing in items' description or anything implies that he devoured Nito tho.
Is there even any reference to Nito in DS3? Didn't see or read anything like it.

He's called the "Devourer of Gods". Since he shares so many visuals characteristics, it would make sense to me.

Raist

Banned
I hope there's a bit more stuff about the firekeeper. The Maiden in Black and the Doll had at least a bit of background, but she doesn't seem to. I wonder what's up with her tiara, and if her bit in the intro is similar to the one in DS1 for more than just a quick reference.

LordCanti

I took it to mean that Gwyndolin was ill because Aldrich was feeding on him.

That could be the case. I can't find the quote on any of the wikis and I can't remember the exact wording.

I agree that we should be getting on better and working together but making assumptions with no real evidence is just as dismissive and leads to fabricated fan-fiction creations. Speaking of which...

Please use real in-game evidence if you're going to suggest something as nuanced as that chain of events.

Someone speculated that Nito was eaten and I offered an opposing theory about why he could have characteristics from Nito despite not having eaten him. If you have an alternate theory based on evidence from the game, by all means.

Auctopus

I hope there's a bit more stuff about the firekeeper. The Maiden in Black and the Doll had at least a bit of background, but she doesn't seem to. I wonder what's up with her tiara, and if her bit in the intro is similar to the one in DS1 for more than just a quick reference.

The lore behind her suggests that she is replaceable and as there is a tower full of fire keepers like her, she is therefore non-remarkable.

What makes her notable is our attachment with her and if you choose the 2nd ending.

Fakeedit: that's not really an argument for her lore but why there might be a lack of it.

That could be the case. I can't find the quote on any of the wikis and I can't remember the exact wording.

Pontiff Sulyvahn of Irithyll imprisoned a god of the old royalty in the abandoned cathedral, to be fed to the devourer.

Edit: I know the quote you're on about. Looking...

The firekeeper felt special when you enter the shrine then you open the tower and see she is disposable when you se the mountain of the former firekeepers corpses just being toss like trash, you can find the previous firekeeper at the top of the tower. feels bad for her.

I remember there are some bits of lore of females being trained to be firekeepers by the way of white covenant.

Auctopus

Just read an amazing idea on Reddit which I don't think has been talked about on here. Im rewording it...

So, Ocelotte is a cross-breed because Ocerios has sort of become a dragon and fornicated with the queen etc. Well, Priscilla is a half-breed and she can turn invisible. The author of this comments does make the assumption that half-breeds can turn invisible. Well, Ocelotte is in the arms of the consumed King (we can see him cradling nothing because she is invisible). However, in the second phase of the fight the baby starts screaming. This is because the king has dropped the baby as he is now moving on all fours.

If only they were actually consistent about the nature of fire keepers.

I miss the concept of humanity.

I mean you can find a Dark Souls 2 keeper chilling on ashes selling you stuff.

FROM removed several traits of the Dark Souls 1 firekeepers like there is one keeping the fire in each zone, the unlimited humanity in their body, if you kill the firekeepers the whole bonfire system shuts down in that area. People who born with unlimited humanity were keepers, in some case the humanity moves in their skin due being too much of the keepers body to handle, keepers souls are unique and can be used to power up bonfires abilities, as long as the keeper have humanity the bonfire system will stay.

Auctopus

Another idea I've seen is that Gwyndolin is actually only partially devoured when we fight Aldrich. (I don't know if you guys were already assuming that).

In the opening cinematic, we see that Aldrich really is just a gelatinous blob.

And Gwyndolin in the fight is just sticking out the top of it.

latest

Another idea I've seen is that Gwyndolin is actually only partially devoured when we fight Aldrich. (I don't know if you guys were already assuming that).

Its gross and creepy realizing Gwyndolin is dead and Aldrich is using his corpse as a puppet

Zocano

Oh, yah, I thought this was mostly known. I forget who says it but I believe there is a hint that Gwyndolin is not fully consumed.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
- People keep saying that Aldrich devoured Nito as well, where's that from?

My guess is because Aldritch's sword is really similar to the Gravelord Sword. Hell i saw people saying Aldritch devoured the Witch of Izalith too because he can use pyromancy :lol

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, if you want to use what is said in DS1 to automatically dismiss people's ideas, you shouldn't post about how many characters are Oceiros and Gwydolin's children, since according to that game she left Anor Londo and married Flame God Flann.

He's called the "Devourer of Gods". Since he shares so many visuals characteristics, it would make sense to me.

To your first point: Please explain how that invalidates any of the stuff I posted, which is all sourced with evidence from the game directly. Go on, I'll wait. It's pretty frustrating to make a huge post about a theory with many, many sources from the game directly supporting it only to have someone show and go "but what about X?" with zero evidence and expects to be taken seriously.

To your second point: we've already discussed more likely reasons for those similarities. If you want to suggest that he ate Nito, I'll keep beating this drum: show some evidence.

Just read an amazing idea on Reddit which I don't think has been talked about on here. Im rewording it...

So, Ocelotte is a cross-breed because Ocerios has sort of become a dragon and fornicated with the queen etc. Well, Priscilla is a half-breed and she can turn invisible. The author of this comments does make the assumption that half-breeds can turn invisible. Well, Ocelotte is in the arms of the consumed King (we can see him cradling nothing because she is invisible). However, in the second phase of the fight the baby starts screaming. This is because the king has dropped the baby as he is now moving on all fours.

Shit, this is really good! First thing I've read about Ocelotte that makes sense.

Also gotta say Marcus' playthrough so far has not been super entertaining. This whole routine of "spend 5 minutes in every room, look around every single corner" is tiresome. God forbid something surprises you in Souls game! Live a little Marcus, you've played like 5 of these games, lol. Also bummer he didn't look at the Firekeeper corpse to make that Maiden in Black link more directly. Also the whole "well I don't know what the crows want!" and not even trying to give them anything like... what.

Derpot

Or maybe because we actually killed the baby during the fight.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Nito is actually the giant worm below the catacombs. Prepare to cry.

There is exactly as much evidence for this as "Aldrich ate Nito" so why not!

The giant worm is actually mentioned in a description of one spell. It's a giant worm. It's pretty neat...o.

Raist

Banned
The firekeeper felt special when you enter the shrine then you open the tower and see she is disposable when you se the mountain of the former firekeepers corpses just being toss like trash, you can find the previous firekeeper at the top of the tower. feels bad for her.

I remember there are some bits of lore of females being trained to be firekeepers by the way of white covenant.

I know firekeepers in general aren't really special and there's been many.

I'm just wondering about her tiara which seems to have something crawling inside, and I'm just wondering about the parallels in the intro showing her in a similar way thn Anastasia in DS1. And even Anastasia at least had a tiny been of background. In this case, there's nothing at all.

JerkShep

There is exactly as much evidence for this as "Aldrich ate Nito" so why not!

The giant worm is actually mentioned in a description of one spell. It's a giant worm. It's pretty neat...o.

Nito became the Rotten. The Rotten absorbed too many bodies and evolved into a giant worm. But to remember his old friend Gwyn, decided to use lightning to defend itself. What a tragic tale. I can almost see people crying at my incoming "10 shocking truths of Dark Souls 3" video.

Raist

Banned
I'll keep beating this drum: show some evidence.

And I'll keep beating mine although you seem to keep ignoring all of this.

1. He's called the devourer of gods. Not devoureur of gwyndolin. And not many characters in DS are named and referred to as gods.

2. The end of his staff is Nito's sword

3. His robe looks pretty much identical to Nito's coat.

4. His helm (or crown or whatever) is not the same as Gwyndolin's, and the front part looks like a skull.

Or does none of this counts because it's not explicitely written in some piece of fucking item description?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
You don't seem to understand the concept of "evidence". Lack of direct evidence to the contrary (though I'd argue the CU killing Nito in DS1 is exactly that) does not constitute evidence.

Believe what you want. You also didn't address my other point. But by all means, keep digging your heel in. The only thing you have that even vaguely supports it is that his glaive looks a bit like the Gravelord sword. Straight tripping on all your other points lol, especially 4. yup no similarity at all.

Fine I'll go point by point.

1. Devourer of Gods sounds better than "Devourer of a God". Also it doesn't prove anything. If he's Devourer of Gods does that mean he also ate Gwyn, and the Witch of Izalith, and Gwynevere? After all, if being dead for ages is not an obstacle, why not, right?

2. Yup, it looks alike. Point. However, Lifehunt Scythe miracle suggests that Aldrich can mimic things he's seen in dreams. Either way, this isn't even close to conclusive. It isn't the Gravelord Sword.

3. N-no...? It's literally Gwyndolin's coat but black. Look again.

4. STRAIGHT TRIPPIN

thank you good night

1. He's called the devourer of gods. Not devoureur of gwyndolin. And not many characters in DS are named and referred to as gods.

4. His helm (or crown or whatever) is not the same as Gwyndolin's, and the front part looks like a skull.

Or does none of this counts because it's not explicitely written in some piece of fucking item description?

Evidence that he necessarily ate Nito. Since, it seems that Aldrich could have the ability take on any form that he imagines, or so some people have extrapolated from the Lifehunt Scythe description.

The only thing you have that even vaguely supports it is that his glaive looks a bit like the Gravelord sword.

Now, I'm not going to argue that he did eat Nito, but there's no denying that that is definitely the form of the Gravelord Sword (though at the beginning of the fight it is summoned as if some kind of magic).

Aldrich could have just eaten the remains of the gods guys.

Also, I recognized Nito's sword straight away, along with Gwyndolyn's head dress and bow. The Izalith connection is only based on his fire attacks and there isn't much evidence there but it is possible.

JerkShep

I'll try to add to the discussion and use the Aldrich's "Cinders of a Lord" item as a reference

"Aldrich became a lord by devouring men, but was disillusioned with his throne, and so took to devouring gods instead"

It seems to me that Aldrich started devouring "gods" after his return as a Lord of Cinder, not before. As a Lord of Cinder, after awakening in the Cathedral of the Deep, he went back home to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and devoured Gwyndolin. He didn't want anything to do with the first flame, because of his vision of a new incoming age and to face that age he thought he needed the power of the old gods of Anor Londo.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The Izalith connection is only based on his fire attacks and there isn't much evidence there but it is possible.

The thing is if you're going to argue that it's possible because they're both fire, then literally anything is possible. There has to be SOMETHING to suggest it in the text, anywhere. What's more likely - he ate Bed of Chaos and that's how he got fire powers, or he has fire powers because he's a Lord of Cinder and we know from fighting the other Lords of Cinder that they all have fire powers?

There is no evidence. At all. If you wanna have this as your headcanon, I've got no problems with that, but people are so insistent that he definitely ate Nito based on one thing - his glaive looks like the Gravelord sword. That's not enough. If it actually was straight-up the Gravelord sword, we'd be talking, but it's much more likely to just be a thematic callback, since both Aldrich and Nito both heavily symbolise death and consumption, Nito being an amalgamation of skeletons and Aldrich being a devourer of men (and A God).

It's like arguing the run up to the Two Princes boss fight is actually Boletaria because it looks super similar to the run up to Penetrator. It's a thematic callback.

I'll try to add to the discussion and use the Aldrich's "Cinders of a Lord" item as a reference

"Aldrich became a lord by devouring men, but was disillusioned with his throne, and so took to devouring gods instead"

It seems to me that Aldrich started devouring "gods" after his return as a Lord of Cinder, not before. As a Lord of Cinder, after awakening in the Cathedral of the Deep, he went back home to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and devoured Gwyndolin. He didn't want anything to do with the first flame, because of his vision of a new incoming age and to face that age he thought he needed the power of the old gods of Anor Londo.

Yup, pretty much. In the intro cutscene we see Aldrich the Blob waking up from his tomb and it just looks like goop. He goes straight from there to Irithyll from what we hear from Anri, and also the Doll being found on the Deacons heavily suggests that. Pontiff imprisoned Gwyndolin as a nice snack for him (not sure why, what's in it for him), and he's still slowly devouring Gwyndolin sarlacc-style when we walk in on him, foodus interruptus, and he uses his cool new Gwyndolin powers, and his Lord of Cinder powers, to fight us.

Raist

Banned
You don't seem to understand the concept of "evidence". Lack of direct evidence to the contrary (though I'd argue the CU killing Nito in DS1 is exactly that) does not constitute evidence.

Believe what you want. You also didn't address my other point. But by all means, keep digging your heel in. The only thing you have that even vaguely supports it is that his glaive looks a bit like the Gravelord sword. Straight tripping on all your other points lol, especially 4. yup no similarity at all.

Fine I'll go point by point.

1. Devourer of Gods sounds better than "Devourer of a God". Also it doesn't prove anything. If he's Devourer of Gods does that mean he also ate Gwyn, and the Witch of Izalith, and Gwynevere? After all, if being dead for ages is not an obstacle, why not, right?

2. Yup, it looks alike. Point. However, Lifehunt Scythe miracle suggests that Aldrich can mimic things he's seen in dreams. Either way, this isn't even close to conclusive. It isn't the Gravelord Sword.

3. N-no...? It's literally Gwyndolin's coat but black. Look again.

4. STRAIGHT TRIPPIN

thank you good night

No, it's not Gwyndolin's coat. Maybe you can finally see it here:

dark_souls_3_boss_how_to_beat_aldrich_devourer_of_gods.jpg

Same for the headpiece. It's not the same. 5 branches vs 7. And it's not the same front bit at all. Aldrich's looks like a sculpted skull. Gwyndolin's looks like an elaborate piece of jewellery.

attachment.phpxmaww.jpeg

And as an aside, dropping the aggro-condescending tone generally helps in discussions.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Notice the little bits of golden embroidery in the same spots on both coats, from the collarbone draping over the arms. Also notice how the headpieces are basically the same accounting for the fact that these are different games and they obviously didn't re-use the exact same assets.

Also notice how this proves exactly diddly.

The design is clearly meant to evoke Gwyndolyn (but dark) in every way. I can't help you see this if you haven't already and I won't be discussing this with you, or anyone, further, because I've said my piece on the matter.

Unless anyone shows evidence, of course.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Xanthos Crown invader from the road of sacrifices appears in Rosaria's bed chamber as one of those maggot things.

Deeeeep...

JerkShep

If FROM wanted to imply that Nito is in Aldrich I'd wager we would have had something like "Gravelord Spear" as a boss weapon. At least a passing reference, something. We have a powerful pyromancy with the Soul of the Demon King and the Moonlight Sword from Oceiros, why not something Nito related in Aldrich?

For all we know, Nito doesn't exist anymore. There's no power to obtain by eating Nito, because even if Aldrich found him, he would be at most a couple of bones and a sword. There's nothing to gain for Aldrich there. Nito's soul and power went directly into the Lordvessel. Same for the Witch of Izalith. He ate Gwyndolin and probably a good part of the old "royalty" because they are descendants of the Gwyn line and he thought they might have some of that power.

Except even the Gwyn line is most likely fucked up and fading away: Gwyndolin was "ill", Gwynevere, once the Goddess of Prosperity, can't seem to be able give birth to a healty child. I guess the First Born was doing all right, but maybe that has to do with his bond with dragons, I don't really know.

Nashandra also looked like Nito.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
What if Aldritch devoured whatever being that currently holds possession of Nito's soul in this age? Like the Rotten from DS2.

Raist

Banned
Notice the little bits of golden embroidery in the same spots on both coats, from the collarbone draping over the arms. Also notice how the headpieces are basically the same accounting for the fact that these are different games and they obviously didn't re-use the exact same assets.

Also notice how this proves exactly diddly.

The design is clearly meant to evoke Gwyndolyn (but dark) in every way. I can't help you see this if you haven't already and I won't be discussing this with you, or anyone, further, because I've said my piece on the matter.

Unless anyone shows evidence, of course.

So let me get this straight, these are basically the same, just not exactly because different games:

1kuzg0.jpg

Yet you can't see any Nito-like bit of design right here:

2yxasw.jpg

Well OK dude.
If "evidence" is limited to item descriptions for you, that's cool, but personally I think Souls games are about a bit more than this. And the similarities are really obvious.

Auctopus

Well OK dude.
If "evidence" is limited to item descriptions for you, that's cool, but personally I think Souls games are about a bit more than this. And the similarities are really obvious.

Pick a side, dude.

Yes, the dress looks like Nito's "overcoat". Just like the torso looks like Gwendolyn's hair, crown and gown. However, the game has explicitly said that Aldrich devoured Gwyndolin. I don't know what argument you're trying to make here. The thing we're trying to stop is simple similarities (Which yes there are plenty for the last time) becoming utter fabrications 'cause it's a damn thin line.

What if Aldritch devoured whatever being that currently holds possession of Nito's soul in this age? Like the Rotten from DS2.

Yeah, unless in DSII, this time it doesn't seem they took possession of other beings. Perhaps Aldrich just ate the ones that possessed those souls and he eventually became that black mass of goo.

Also, Gwynevere, Lloyd, The Nameless King, Flaan, Velka, etc. are also called Gods despite not possessing a Lord Soul so Aldrich could be called "devourer of Gods" even if he didn't consume Nito and the Witch of Izalith.

Auctopus

Never saw these rings during my play through. Aldrich's Ruby and Aldrich's Sapphire...

A malformed ring left by Aldrich, Saint of the Deep. Recovers HP from critical attacks.

Aldrich, infamous for his appetite for flesh apparently had the desire to share with others his joy of imbibing the final shudders of life while luxuriating in his victim's screams.

Nito doesn't have flesh lol jk
sort of

Aldrich is fucked up.

Seyavesh

fuck 'what if aldritch ate nito', heres the real question:
was aldritch the slimes all along?? have the slimes been planning revolution against the gods all this time???
his hallway sure has a fuckton of them and he's supposed to be a big slime entity

clearly something worth pondering.

Sorry for jumping in late but has anyone got some idea of what the untended graves is supposed to be? The most I could try and guess was it's an alternate reality where the flame has long gone, perhaps even a vision of the world had we chose to not kindle the flame in DaS1 or 2, but outside of that I'm stumped.

Top Bottom