• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

Carl7

I agree 100%, Dark Souls 3 is the most consistent game in the franchise with everything just working together beautifully. I've genuinely enjoyed every area in the game, and that's not something that happened with the other games.

I've always called it a love letter to the franchise.

My impression was also that it looks more like a tribute to its fans rather than commercial product.

Krigaren

So for all of you importers, is a strength/faith build viable? Early impressions had faith as weak sauce.

Defensive miracles are good together with STR but If you miss hidden divine tomes for new miracles you could go the entire playthrough having only heals though.

Even so, STR will carry you through the game because it's incredibly strong.

Defensive miracles are good together with STR but If you miss hidden divine tomes for new miracles you could go the entire playthrough having only heals though.

Even so, STR will carry you through the game because it's incredibly strong.
Thats what I'm talking about! Thanks.

addyb

Finally. What a night. Beat
soul of cinder and then the nameless king

I can now start a pyro on the ps4 version tomorrow:)

mujun

Can anyone tell me where the binoculars are? I thought they were in
firelink
but can't find them for the life of me

They are in the first area you go to after Firelink. On top of one of the towers. If I remember correctly they are near some boxes on the tower next to the dead dragon.

Egg0

Banned
Anyone know if
Pontiff Sulyvahn
is an optional boss or main boss?

Debating whether to bang my head against him or explore.

Auctopus

I sent the (NPC)
Thief guy to Ihrithyll
and he hasn't come back. Assuming this is
some sort of quest and I've gotta go find him? Or he dead?

Are the Abyss Watchers far into the game? Feels like im storming though this

The game's difficulty is very gradual. Even now where I am, I haven't seen a boss who's made me wanna tear my hair out. One was frustrating me but it was because I wasn't being patient.

I sent the (NPC)
Thief guy to Ihrithyll
and he hasn't come back. Assuming this is
some sort of quest and I've gotta go find him? Or he dead?

Depends on what you did just around the time you sent him.
In all likelihood he's dead though :( Check the sewer with the spider ladies in that area.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So happy that this thread is still going strong

Good job folks

silva1991

This turned into a late game discussion type thread so we don't spoil anything for people in OT lol

Hmm, I explored that place like crazy. Hidden wall or hidden path?

It's not really hidden, but most of us won't notice the path somehow

From the
laddersmith bonfire, instead of going to giant lord building jump down and go through the cracked wall back to final explorable part pf the prsion.

it's one of those "how the fuck did I miss this path" situation.

Auctopus

I can't wait to finish the game and be able to just relive the bosses over and over again by helping people.

The urge to finish the game is always at ends with my desire to take things slow and enjoy the game.

E92 M3

It's not really hidden, but most of us won't notice the path somehow

From the
laddersmith bonfire, instead of going to giant lord building jump down and go through the cracked wall back to final explorable part pf the prsion.

it's one of those "how the fuck did I miss this path" situation.

Hmm, so act like I'm going to the boss, but jump down before the bridge over to him? Or is it near the swamp area?

I can't wait to finish the game and be able to just relive the bosses over and over again by helping people.

The urge to finish the game is always at ends with my desire to take things slow and enjoy the game.

I am the same way. Never want to finish my first run. Souls games are certainly magical.

Auctopus

Forgot to say at the weekend.

I thought the moment you give the
Giant's Coal
to Andre was an excellent moment.
It was such a big thing in Dark Souls 1 that you could only get certain weapon infusions from certain Blacksmiths. I always wondered when playing that game whether Andre knew the Giant and this game confirmed it and treated the character amazingly well.
That is how you do fan service.

E92 M3

Forgot to say at the weekend.

I thought the moment you give the
Giant's Coal
to Andre was an excellent moment.
It was such a big thing in Dark Souls 1 that you could only get certain weapon infusions from certain Blacksmiths. I always wondered when playing that game whether Andre knew the Giant and this game confirmed it and treated the character amazingly well.
That is how you do fan service.

Oh yes,
seeing him laying there dead was rather sad as well.
Aldritch really did a number to Anor Londo

Soulhouf

Speaking of that area, do someone knows where to find the Xantous ash?
I swear I looked in every nook and cranny and every time I go back there I discover new things but I can't for the life of me find that ash >_>

silva1991

Speaking of that area, do someone knows where to find the Xantous ash?
I swear I looked in every nook and cranny and every time I go back there I discover new things but I can't for the life of me find that ash >_>

In one of the cells guarded by an army of
winter lantern 2.0

Auctopus

Oh yeah, every area is so good. That's what really makes this game shine.

CONSISTENT as fuck

Yeah, in GA atm and it's classic Dark Souls 1. Amazing.

Edit: oh man, are you kidding me with this boss run? Boss runs are the thing I'm most disappointed by in DS.

Ok, rant time. Here's why
Lothrian
is a bullshit boss.

- the boss run.
- he's a
two parter
- when you
beat the first part, it isn't saved. You've Gotta fight him again when you come up those enemy ridden stairs again
- when
he gets stuck up against a wall, he teleports on top of you!

As always, the victory follows the rant. I still feel quite cheated.

Vuze

To those who have beaten the game already. How long did you take and which level did you finish on? Just looking for some sort of relation, I'm 31h in now and took a glance at the progress map since I was sorta lost. Seems I have two lords + final boss and three bonus areas left.

E92 M3

Yeah, in GA atm and it's classic Dark Souls 1. Amazing.

Edit: oh man, are you kidding me with this boss run? Boss runs are the thing I'm most disappointed by in DS.

Ok, rant time. Here's why
Lothrian
is a bullshit boss.

- the boss run.
- he's a
two parter
- when you
beat the first part, it isn't saved. You've Gotta fight him again when you come up those enemy ridden stairs again
- when
he gets stuck up against a wall, he teleports on top of you!

As always, the victory follows the rant. I still feel quite cheated.

You don't have to run up the stairs if you die - there is a very handy shortcut lol

To those who have beaten the game already. How long did you take and which level did you finish on? Just looking for some sort of relation, I'm 31h in now and took a glance at the progress map since I was sorta lost. Seems I have two lords + final boss and three bonus areas left.

I had about 70 hours on the clock, but that's with very careful exploration and mucking around (didn't use guides or anything).

Auctopus

Oh my god (final boss spoilers)

got him past his first health bar and then he regen'd. Had a bad feeling it was too easy.

Suddenly! Familiar move set, familiar music. Lightning bolts! The best part is he feels beatable, I just ran out of Estus

MicSte79

Neo Member
Noob question so please bear with me:

If I play as a Pyromancer, are the fireballs unlimited or can I only use them a few times between bonfire refills?

Same question goes for Sorcerer and Soul Arrows.

Sullichin

Noob question so please bear with me:

If I play as a Pyromancer, are the fireballs unlimited or can I only use them a few times between bonfire refills?

Same question goes for Sorcerer and Soul Arrows.

They reduce your FP (blue) meter. You can use ashen estus flasks to refill some of it.
You "allot" your estus so some can be for health and some can be for FP.

MicSte79

Neo Member
They reduce your FP (blue) meter. You can use ashen estus flasks to refill some of it.
You "allot" your estus so some can be for health and some can be for FP.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Doesn't the blue bar refill on its own like stamina? I haven't noticed when playing as the Knight.

MicSte79

Neo Member
Doesn't refill on its own. There might be a ring that passively refills it, not sure
Thanks again.

I have been considering having a second save file to mess around with. I have never attempted a Dark Souls sorcerer or Pyromancer build (always played as a Knight). People have always warned me off using them classes saying it makes the game too difficult - but I would like a way to be able to do ranged combat without having to use bow and arrow.

Top Bottom