• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

JustinBB7

Does the "take double damage ring" have any purpose besides making the game harder for you? I don't see why anybody would wear that ring unless they are doing a special run or something..

Gbraga

IIRC that item is more of a roll than a jump. It's a consumable soul item btw so nothing too interesting.

Did you get the treasure chest further down there though, that is worth going to the Demon Ruins early for.

I did get a treasure chest that was guarded by a fuckton of worm things, is that it?

I don't recall what it was, was it the Chaos Ember stuff? If so, I think it won't be of much use to me since I killed Vamos :C

Divius

Trying to get to Blight Town is infuriating. I headed there after the gaping dragon, but i get swarmed by the spear guys and end up getting poisoned by the archers while i try to manage 3 of them. would going in from the valley of drakes entrance be easier, or should i just go and do the moonlight butterfly and then come back?
On a positive note: Those toxic 'archers' do not respawn, so once you kill them they are gone forever.

I did get a treasure chest that was guarded by a fuckton of worm things, is that it?

I don't recall what it was, was it the Chaos Ember stuff? If so, I think it won't be of much use to me since I killed Vamos :C
Oh :3

It was the large flame ember yes. I guess if you got the Chaos ember also, then that would be better any way. Poor Vamos, at least you got a cool helmet from him!

KNEEL BITCH

DBEV2Se.jpg

Game complete. Bring on Dark Souls 2! The DLC area is fantastic. It really brings up the second half of the game assuming you tackle it then. Stayed true to my initial focus to not use any sort of magic/pyromancy and it worked out pretty well. Game played completely differently. Non-stop heart in throat action since I played with 0 poise and a shitty shield. I'm curious what it feels like to play as a walking slab of concrete. I can't stand the idea of having fat roll though. Maybe I'll try that out one day.

I'm 26h into the game and I just got to Gravelord Nito but I'm really struggling to beat him. Any tip?

Lure him to the open area where you dropped. You might have to knock out a few skeletons until then, it's not really a big deal. Once he's there, his sword sweeps and aoe miasma attack continuously knock them out for you. When they're all knocked down, 2h your weapon and wack the shit out of him. His moveset is pretty limited, just watch out for the grab attack.

It took about 20 attempts, but I successfully executed the Duke Skip and killed Seath fairly quickly. Now, I can either go back to Anor Londo and take out Gwyndolin, go to the Catacombs and the Tomb of the Giants, or to the New Londo Ruins. I'm not sure I'll be able to tank the Four Kings and Nito like I did on NG1, and I need to take out Leeroy and get his loot on this run.

I got into the game over the weekend and I am loving it.

I do have a question. I occasionally come across enemies that can kill me in one-blow (Hello, Havel!). I'm using a Balder Side Sword, as a Knight with a End/Dex/Vit build. So if I'm not going to be blocking, should I switch to two-handed stance? Does that do more damage? Do the blows take longer? I've tried experimenting, but it's hard for me to tell, especially since I'm usually more concerned with dodging and rolling to stay alive.

Also, when should I do the DLC?

Thanks, guys.

I'm not that far in (just killed gargoyles and and lightning miniboss thing) but is it just me or is dark souls a shit ton easier than demon souls? I didn't get super far in demon souls (like the boss after tower knight iirc) and that was years ago so I'm not good at the game or anything. I died more on tower knight alone than I have in this whole game so far.

Honestly I feel let down so far, after all the marketing and the prepare to die thing I thought it would be much harder than Demon Souls.

When does it ramp up?

Your first game is going be harder. Once you get the rhythm down, the games are significantly more manageable. You've pretty much beaten the easiest area though. Depths -> Blighttown can be pretty harrowing

Sullichin

I got into the game over the weekend and I am loving it.

I do have a question. I occasionally come across enemies that can kill me in one-blow (Hello, Havel!). I'm using a Balder Side Sword, as a Knight with a End/Dex/Vit build. So if I'm not going to be blocking, should I switch to two-handed stance? Does that do more damage? Do the blows take longer? I've tried experimenting, but it's hard for me to tell, especially since I'm usually more concerned with dodging and rolling to stay alive.

Also, when should I do the DLC?

Thanks, guys.

Two handing a weapon basically multiplies your strength by 1.5, so two handed attacks will do more damage, especially those that scale with strength. A lightning weapon for example wouldn't get this bonus as there's no str scaling then.

But, 2 handed attacks are generally stronger and in some instances will stagger more than 1H equivialents. Depending on the weapon you could also have a very different move set for 2H than 1H.

2 handing a weapon and rolling instead of blocking is a very valuable skill and will save your ass.

The DLC has some of the hardest bosses in the game, and you can't access it till the halfway point anyway

Gbraga

Oh :3

It was the large flame ember yes. I guess if you got the Chaos ember also, then that would be better any way. Poor Vamos, at least you got a cool helmet from him!

I was an idiot, hit him by accident but didn't know back then that
you could revert it by talking to the creepy dude
, so I just killed him :(

Sullichin

Started a pure caster run on my laptop...
This game looks great at 1440p on a 15" monitor (retina MBP). Wow. Better than it does on my PC probably, which is downscaling from a higher res but with a 27" 1080P monitor.

Not feeling pure caster though. I was going to do a hybrid fai/int/pyro but I'm not sure I'll go through with it. It'd have to level up too much to be able to coop most areas and pure caster in PVP doesn't sound like a great time.

Ruuppa

Started a pure caster run on my laptop...
This game looks great at 1440p on a 15" monitor (retina MBP). Wow. Better than it does on my PC probably, which is downscaling from a higher res but with a 27" 1080P monitor.

Not feeling pure caster though. I was going to do a hybrid fai/int/pyro but I'm not sure I'll go through with it. It'd have to level up too much to be able to coop most areas and pure caster in PVP doesn't sound like a great time.

You could make a gimmick build with Pursuers, Dark Bead, Tranquil Walk of Peace and Wrath of Gods. You wouldn't have max Int/Fai or even Vit, but you could still stomp people in PVP who aren't ready for it.

Raxious

Dammit, I've had 2x already that my character gets stuck at a bonfire. The menu disappears but my character won't get up.

Divius

Dammit, I've had 2x already that my character gets stuck at a bonfire. The menu disappears but my character won't get up.
I played a bunch of co-op with a dude who had that problem. He had to alt-f4 out of the game, had no idea what caused it. :/

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Weird fight with a dude I invaded on the sunlight altar bridge with my SL1. Clearly an experienced player wearing the dusk crown and dark wood grain ring, and casting homing crystals. Kept estus flask healing, which is fine, but while I was chasing him when he was about half-health at one stage, his life bar just suddenly filled up for no reason. He was locked on to me and running backwards at the time, so I found it very strange.

Sullichin

I played a bunch of co-op with a dude who had that problem. He had to alt-f4 out of the game, had no idea what caused it. :/

This happens when unlockFPS is set to 1 in DSFix.

It will happen less frequently if you don't try to navigate through the menus as soon as you rest in the bonfire. Let the that screen-filling bonfire rest effect clear before you press anything.

You can have someone backstab you, otherwise you have to alt+f4 :(

Weird fight with a dude I invaded on the sunlight altar bridge with my SL1. Clearly an experienced player wearing the dusk crown and dark wood grain ring, and casting homing crystals. Kept estus flask healing, which is fine, but while I was chasing him when he was about half-health at one stage, his life bar just suddenly filled up for no reason. He was locked on to me and running backwards at the time, so I found it very strange.
He might have been using elizabeth's mushroom, and if he was he probably duped it because they're not exactly common.

Adry9

Use a divine weapon for the skellies. Kill them first then worry about Nito.
How do I know if I have one? XD

Lure him to the open area where you dropped. You might have to knock out a few skeletons until then, it's not really a big deal. Once he's there, his sword sweeps and aoe miasma attack continuously knock them out for you. When they're all knocked down, 2h your weapon and wack the shit out of him. His moveset is pretty limited, just watch out for the grab attack.

I tried that be he just starts doing this expansive wave making me go all the way back, and even if he knocks some skeletons there's always one or two hitting me.

EDIT: YESS!!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!! First time I managed to get him to half of his health also. Thanks for the help!

Raxious

This happens when unlockFPS is set to 1 in DSFix.

It will happen less frequently if you don't try to navigate through the menus as soon as you rest in the bonfire. Let the that screen-filling bonfire rest effect clear before you press anything.

You can have someone backstab you, otherwise you have to alt+f4 :(

Thx.

It's a shame there are so few people at lvl 1 playing this game anymore. I've been trying to get summoned but so far I've only got summoned three times :'(

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
He might have been using elizabeth's mushroom, and if he was he probably duped it because they're not exactly common.

Ah, that might have been it, though to clarify, his health went from around 50% to 100% in an instant without any "filling up" in between. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though, considering Dark Souls' occasional online inconsistencies.

rac

Banned
I was trying to get red sign summoned to save my humanity and the same guy invaded me four times in a row. One time he had a nice parry but the other three he just teleported behind me for a backstab, after that shit I just gave up trying to get summoned.

Shawn6661

I'm at Anor Londo and the only way to go is through a roof with 2 black archers...and its impossible. What were they thinking ? I tried 15 times to kill the right one, i almost beat him once with luck but it ended by a fall as usual. I also make him fall twice but he managed to make me fall with him.

I need HELP.

rac

Banned
I'm at Anor Londo and the only way to go is through a roof with 2 black archers...and its impossible. What were they thinking ? I tried 15 times to kill the right one, i almost beat him once with luck but it ended by a fall as usual. I also make him fall twice but he managed to make me fall with him.

I need HELP.

Run to the one on the right and parry his attack. You'll have to do a running dodge to get to him without being hit by an arrow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I need HELP.

This is where a lot of people struggle, so don't worry. It's easier than you think getting past them. There are multiple options.

- Got sorcery? If you have hush and/or hidden body, you could sprint on the walkway and they'd be very late to spot you.
- Got poison arrows? You could poison the archer on the right, wait til he keels over then sprint across.

If you have none of the above, here's a different strategy that doesn't require any equipment

- Try nudity. You want to be as light as possible, to be as fast as possible. Drop all of your gear except shield and weapon
- Don't ever consider attacking the archer to your left. He does not exist for you
- SPRINT as fast as you can across the buttress. Once you get to the narrow ledge, roll when the right archer is shooting. He won't hit you.
- You should be right in front of him now. You can now try to parry him if he changes to his sword, or attack. If you use a heavy weapon there's a chance he'll fall off easily if you attack. They stagger easily so a 2H attack with a strong weapon should make him fall to his doom.

And you're done.

They're really easy to parry, but the right archer will also knock himself off the ledge if you block and he wanders into a good position.

You can also aggro him to get his sword out, then retreat to the buttress and he'll just walk off the edge. You can still get unlucky and he'll take the bow back out.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Or just roll under the right guy's arrows, run to the left and smash those legs. After defeating him, grab the Brave Warrior's Soul, lure the right one and repeat. They hit above your head 9/10 times when your on the roof. (or whatever it's supposed to be)
That's what I did, anyhow.

2AdEPT

I'm 26h into the game and I just got to Gravelord Nito but I'm really struggling to beat him. Any tip?

Dont traverse too far into the area and aggro the big skellies, use a divine weapon on the small ones...a downgraded occult club that you find in anor londo or the astora sword if you can hold it, or a silver knight spear dropped by silver knights will work.

the scream means roll, then you wont get stabbed by the claw coming out of the earth.

Kindle your fires, you'll need extra flasks just to start the fight, let alone deal with it.

Use your pyro.

Curious about how scaling works. How does something with C,C scaling compare to something with A scaling? Are they equivalent? Obviously, some weapons are stronger than others, I'm referring to boost from stats. I did a quality build but I reckon focusing on one stat would allow me to dump points into faith or int next time. I thought the idea flexibility would be good but then I ended up using the Claymore for the whole game haha

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here actually fight Ceaseless Discharge?

Does anyone here actually fight Ceaseless Discharge?

I've been pretty good at trying to work things out on my own during my playthrough and not checking guides for boss fights unless I'm really not having any luck, but somewhere in the back of my head either from here or some random wiki I knew you could run back to the fog door to cheese him, which I totally did when I got to demons ruins for the first time this weekend. I still feel guilty

2AdEPT

I've been pretty good at trying to work things out on my own during my playthrough and not checking guides for boss fights unless I'm really not having any luck, but somewhere in the back of my head either from here or some random wiki I knew you could run back to the fog door to cheese him, which I totally did when I got to demons ruins for the first time this weekend. I still feel guilty

the fact that it is obviously NOT a glitch makes me feel better.

I need HELP.

The easiest (and cheapest) way to do this part is run up to halfway up the walkway where the pillar is blocking the dude on the left. Keep dodging the Spears from dude on the right and eventually dude on the left stops attacking you. Then just run up, kill guy on right and keep going. No need to even deal with dude on left.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I do. I always stand in that one alleyway and bait his attack, so I can hit his arm. I tried the cheese tactic, but it never worked for me.
If you die the first time you have to run all the way to the altar and back to make it work.

Just bought DS for PC. Relatively new to PC gaming so forgive my ignorance, but after downloading when I try to play DS simply won't launch. Tells me the executable stopped working. Any idea how to fix this? Should I even bother trying with GFWL about to be removed? Thanks.

2AdEPT

This is where a lot of people struggle, so don't worry. It's easier than you think getting past them. There are multiple options.

- Got sorcery? If you have hush and/or hidden body, you could sprint on the walkway and they'd be very late to spot you.
- Got poison arrows? You could poison the archer on the right, wait til he keels over then sprint across.

If you have none of the above, here's a different strategy that doesn't require any equipment

- Try nudity. You want to be as light as possible, to be as fast as possible. Drop all of your gear except shield and weapon
- Don't ever consider attacking the archer to your left. He does not exist for you
- SPRINT as fast as you can across the buttress. Once you get to the narrow ledge, roll when the right archer is shooting. He won't hit you.
- You should be right in front of him now. You can now try to parry him if he changes to his sword, or attack. If you use a heavy weapon there's a chance he'll fall off easily if you attack. They stagger easily so a 2H attack with a strong weapon should make him fall to his doom.

And you're done.
last time I took a weak character up and the parries weren't going well and he was just breaking the guard of my shield, so I ran back down...I guess I aggro'd both enough that they followed me on foot.....both archers fell off.

Neverfade

Fuck Seath in his white, scaleless lizard hole.

Edit: To clarify, this shitmouth would be dead long ago if it weren't for the crystals that seem to originate from him and pulse outward forever. I could avoid every other attack he does until kingdom come, but that fucking wave gets me every damn time. Is there a tell I'm missing?

ArynCrinn

Banned
last time I took a weak character up and the parries weren't going well and he was just breaking the guard of my shield, so I ran back down...I guess I aggro'd both enough that they followed me on foot.....both archers fell off.

That's awesome! Why didn't I ever think of that! Although sometimes using the Aggressive Mod, that right Archer will come down after you after you go up the first ramp. ;p

Fuck Seath in his white, scaleless lizard hole.

Edit: To clarify, this shitmouth would be dead long ago if it weren't for the crystals that seem to originate from him and pulse outward forever. I could avoid every other attack he does until kingdom come, but that fucking wave gets me every damn time. Is there a tell I'm missing?

Seath is super easy, one of the easiest in the game imo, just follow this strat, guaranteed to work every time. Just never go "behind" his tentacle.

MilkBeard

Ah, it's a new OT. I had a feeling Dark Souls discussion would ramp up a bit until we get the DS2 OT.

I need to get around to finishing the DLC before DS II comes out. But I keep buying new games. I got sucked into Dragon's Dogma, beat it and now attacking BBI. Now I'm playing Tomb Raider, but I think that's almost finished. I will get back and face Manus and Kalameet. It is my duty.

Top Bottom