• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PR wants you to start replaying Dark Souls 2 today! (Feb 25 - Mar 11)

I'm already playing Scholar :)

I had some complaints in the beginning but that was mostly squashed and I am really enjoying it. I feel like the hatred aimed towards this game is completely overblown.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
DS2 is fucking fantastic but a bad time to be doing this, far too much shit to play at the minute.

Scholar is so bad, if you have the option play the original DS2 instead. If you have the option don't play either. And they want you to play this shit through the Switch launch?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Scholar is so bad, if you have the option play the original DS2 instead. If you have the option don't play either. And they want you to play this shit through the Switch launch?

Scholar is the shit tho. And not everyone getting a Switch during launch

I had just started this a couple of days agof so I'm in. Wasn't sure what to expect given all the hate it gets but it sure is a souls game. Bloodborne was my first and dark souls 3 was my second. The game looks rough but I don't really get why it's so hated on. Though I've only cleared Forrest of fallen giants and hedis tower of Flame, maybe it gets worse?

Novocaine

I had just started this a couple of days agof so I'm in. Wasn't sure what to expect given all the hate it gets but it sure is a souls game. Bloodborne was my first and dark souls 3 was my second. The game looks rough but I don't really get why it's so hated on. Though I've only cleared Forrest of fallen giants and hedis tower of Flame, maybe it gets worse?

The main gripe is the movement/combat mechanics so if you're okay with how it plays then you'll be good to go.

I really loved this game at launch (OG version), but after DS3 and BB I have a hard time going back to it. It just feels like a shoddy, second-rate take on the Souls series now. I don't think SotF is any good either.

I love Dark Souls 2. I find it's definitely the more interesting of the Dark Souls sequels, unfortunately suffering a fair few design problems due to being restarted whilst deep in production at least once. The DLC is fantastic though, I never even got around to the second 2 sets but Crown of The Sunken King is sublime. Maybe will give them a shot over the next 2 weeks.

trimon

Started SOTFS tonight. Pretty active so far but tomorrow's the real start. Also equip the name engraved ring and choose Kremmel for max co-op range.

Gbraga

Terrible time to be replaying that game when Horizon and Zelda are about to drop.

Don't care about the first, don't have a console for the second. I bet there's a lot of people like me.

It does, unfortunately. Forest of Fallen Giants is the best level in the game.

But the overall character controls is the biggest issue. If that didn't bother you, you'll probably have a good time anyway.

Bouniter

Dear From I have a better idea you get those Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 remasters sorted and I shall buy and replay the shit out of those.

Gbraga

Dear From I have a better idea you get those Demon's Souls and Dark Souls remasters sorted and I shall buy and replay the shit out of those.

Yeah, sounds like a great idea. Drop an event that only requires a single tweet and remaster two games that don't even belong to them instead.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Don't care about the first, don't have a console for the second. I bet there's a lot of people like me.

It does, unfortunately. Forest of Fallen Giants is the best level in the game.

But the overall character controls is the biggest issue. If that didn't bother you, you'll probably have a good time anyway.

I don't think it gets generally worse later on tbh and I wouldnt consider Forest Of Fallen Giants the best area either but of course that's just personal opinion. DS2s biggest issue is the way the levels interconnect feeling like a bit of a patch job due to its production issues but the areas themselves are pretty good overall. I felt it was more consistent in comparison to DS1 in the latter part of the game.

Only area I really disliked was
Shrine Of Amana
and they patched that eventually didnt they ?

I haven't played SOTS edition yet (despite owning it) and not played the DLC either. I have heard nothing but good things about the DLCs though as they didnt have the production issues the main games did. Really must play it again.

CHC

I might participate. I beat original Dark Souls II sooooo many times, but I've actually never finished Scholar of the First Sin. I'm really in a Souls mood lately (replaying Bloodborne now) and I like that they advocate this community "restarts." It's fun.

kaos.

Play again Ds2?

VY8dy4E.jpg

The souls fatigue is strong in me.

Ferr986

I don't think it gets generally worse later on tbh and I wouldnt consider Forest Of Fallen Giants the best area either but of course that's just personal opinion. DS2s biggest issue is the way the levels interconnect feeling like a bit of a patch job due to its production issues but the areas themselves are pretty good overall. I felt it was more consistent in comparison to DS1 in the latter part of the game.

Only area I really disliked was
Shrine Of Amana
and they patched that eventually didnt they ?

I haven't played SOTS edition yet (despite owning it) and not played the DLC either. I have heard nothing but good things about the DLCs though as they didnt have the production issues the main games did. Really must play it again.

The DLCs are the best areas on DS2 and top tier level design in the series. They're really good.

I do think to that the Forest isn't the best area. Hell, the strong point of DS2 is how it keeps getting better instead of going down like the other entries.

How about we play the better games in the series instead?

I mean, you can. it's not like the other games stop existing. I already explained that they're doing DS2 because they already did DS1 before.

MUnited83

For you.
There isn't a lot of invasions in this game compared to Dark Souls 1, only in select zones.

One of the things that disappointed me the most with DaS 2.

? It's the other way around. You can get way more invasions than other titles in the series since a area doesn't get "closed" when you kill the area boss.

How about we play the better games in the series instead?
Why would you play Dark Souls 2 instead of Dark Souls 2? They are the same game man.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Of course the haters are coming in this thread to shit on the game because of course. Sigh.

I'd be all over this except I'm gonna be juuuust be finishing up Nioh in time for Horizon to drop. Soooo bad timing. :(

Terrible time to be replaying that game when Horizon and Zelda are about to drop.
Yeah, timing is really off. Don't know what they're thinking.

Nah, it gets better. No Man's Wharf and Lost Bastille, the next levels you're about to enter, are fantastic, some of the best in the series.

Eria

Because the game has the worst level design in the series, the worst bosses, the worst combat and the worst ambientation except a couple of areas. It's the worst soulsgame and a good game at the same time.

Dunkley

Because the game has the worst level design in the series, the worst bosses, the worst combat and the worst ambientation except a couple of areas. It's the worst soulsgame and a good game at the same time.

I mean those are just about all the cons I could muster for it too, but yeah, even as the "worst Soulsbourne" game, it still is a good game on a general scale. I'd say on many parts Dark Souls 2 just feels mediocre, which by definition makes these parts the worst of the series since Soulsbourne is pretty stellar otherwise, but on a general scale still perfectly acceptable.

That's not to say that Dark Souls 2 doesn't have strengths on its' own. Build variety and sheer amount of (mostly optional) content are two very notable things that come to mind as to why Dark Souls 2 was a worthwhile experience to me, multiplayer features like the PvP arenas and the conveants are the best in the series.

Aside of that, even though there are many bosses that do not impress, there are some very memorable ones that made me glad to have experienced them, like for example the boss posted above my post.

Been thinking about hooking up my 360 again so I can play Dark Souls 2 again. Such a fantastic game.

I have SOTFS for PS4 but I just don't really like the changes to the game.

Top Bottom