• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls sold 2,367,000 copies, 360 version of DSII will get Japanese release

- Launched with DLC
- Half price within months of release

But that's the case with most late releases, really.

Also, the "half price within months" is true of every PC release, and a damn good thing for us gamers!

Still, it's rare for late releases on any platform to perform this well so it's certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Jac_Solar

where on earth did you get that idea? demons souls would have been profitable at 175000 us copies sold.

this game made a mint.

What? 175,000 copies would have made it a profit?!!? Or, under 1 million at the most in total, when considering other regions sales. That doesn't make sense when you look at other developers and publishers' numbers. They made games with budgets that needed 5+ million sales to please them, while a game that is leagues ahead of those games in terms of quality, quantity cost far less?

Demons Souls and Dark Souls are the best games of the generation, has tons of content, and, relatively, didn't cost much money to make it seems. So, if quality like this can be made at such budgets, and get a decent profit (Or so it seems.), what's wrong with the industry? It doesn't just seem to be inefficiency/related things, it seems much more like an extreme amount of the budgets go to executives wages or whatever.

I just really, really hope they stick with the formula that made the previous games successful, and their current publisher, or other publishers don't massively increase the budget to fit unnecessary, immersion breaking cutscenes, QTE's, etc. in the games.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Funny, I just picked up Dark Souls today for the 360.

:).

I didn't realize it was a big seller. It's pretty cheap now, I picked it up for $19.

I love Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, so this kind of news thrills me.

Who could have ever expected these type of games to take off like this? Especially Dark Souls.

Man

Sony lost a fucking lot not publishing it. Dark Souls 2 will sell twice if not more of that.
I'm not sure about it. It's audience is really hardcore and I will already be on my PS4 when this game releases.
I believe Demon's Souls / Dark Souls is the game of the generation but I won't go back to the PS3 to play DS2.

jayu26

Everyone needs to think for a second. Sony exclusives don't sell well, even uncharted 2 limped to 5 million (which I think is just criminal). Anyone that thinks Dark Soul's would have done these numbers under Sony banner is fooling themselves. Only thing Sony missed is an opportunity to brag about a fantastic exclusive, which in turn is a boon for everyone who does not own a PS3.

njean777

I'm not sure about it. It's audience is really hardcore and I will already be on my PS4 when this game releases.
I believe Demon's Souls / Dark Souls is the game of the generation but I won't go back to the PS3 to play DS2.

WTF why not? I am getting a ps4, and even I will go back for Dark Souls 2. A good game is a good game regardless of the platform...

Grief.exe

Probably a very small fraction of those PC sales were at full price. The game has regularly been on sale for 15-20 dollars.

Not to mention a percentage of that sale goes to the retailer Steam, Amazon, Green Man Gaming, etc.

And then there is probably some fee for using GFWL. I don't know whether that is a flat rate or percentage based.

Add one to the number.

Enjoying my time, though I only spent half an hour to an hour on it.

So far, the game deserves those sales, and I can easily see it adding another 50% for Dark Souls II. Not sure if it's the type of game that can really get past the 4 mil mark though.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised we aren't seeing more DS clones. May or not be a good thing, but this indicates there's a desire for games like this.

Dragons Dogma reminded me of DS a bit, and I thought that game was awesome as well. I wouldn't mind seeing more games in this genre.

Duffyside

Banned
Hm, a 360 release in Japan makes me wonder if Sony made some sort of deal? They had the Japanese rights to publish, right?

What if it was part of an agreement to make Demon's Souls 2... for Vita?

That'd be swell, wouldn't it? I want people to buy Vitas.

So 300K times $40 = $12.000.000 for a PC version that probably didn't cost them more than $100K to produce.

Cha-ching.

I thnk there's alot more to it than that. Like the cost of running servers, or paying online DD distributors fees to have the software/content on their download shops. There's probably been a large deal of expenses to negate the revenues :p

Raide

Every time the PC version goes on sale, someone jumps in mainly due to Durante's amazing work. I am sure DS2 will be much better on PC so I expect it to sell well. Hopefully the 3mil+ combined would be nice. More if possible once the 720/PS4 HD version gets announced. :p

Hm, a 360 release in Japan makes me wonder if Sony made some sort of deal? They had the Japanese rights to publish, right?

What if it was part of an agreement to make Demon's Souls 2... for Vita?

That'd be swell, wouldn't it? I want people to buy Vitas.

Well Miyazaki is working on something else....hopefully demons souls 2 for PS4.

Bazza

I really should play Dark Souls, had it on the PC since launch and haven't got round to it. Loved Demons Souls so i don't know why i didn't jump into Dark Souls right away.

Sentenza

Well Miyazaki is working on something else....hopefully demons souls 2 for PS4.
iKosKi6TaQ5p3.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yosp will never live this down, what a goof.

Who knew people were eager for something new, challenging, and filled with fantastic fresh game design? Warms my cynical heart it does.

ArjanN

I thnk there's alot more to it than that. Like the cost of running servers, or paying online DD distributors fees to have the software/content on their download shops. There's probably been a large deal of expenses to negate the revenues :p

The 300K doesn't include boxed copies though.

Eusis

Yosp will never live this down, what a goof.

Who knew people were eager for something new, challenging, and filled with fantastic fresh game design? Warms my cynical heart it does.
It's possible that if they had good NA success through SCEA they'd still have gone with someone else for reaching further or more independence, not how often games that Sony passed on publishing in a region get sequels reclaimed (though usually those were also from Sony owned companies.) But, yeah, Atlus showed there was clearly potential there that they kind of ignored since SCEA's kind bad about games from their Japanese division at times.

Jathaine

PRAISE THE SUN!

I'm surprised it took this long.
And I'm very very glad to see that Dark Souls took off in such a way. Its definitely one of my favorite games this gen.

I enjoyed Demon's Souls a bit more but I absolutely adore both. As long as DSII keeps the spirit of these games, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Mupod

300k is pretty awesome for a late halfassed GFWL port. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised by how much higher that number will be for 2 if the PC version has some work put into it and comes out day 1.

Durante

I really don't think so.

Even if all copies were sold at a discounted price of 20 USD (this is not the case by a long shot), they'd make 4.2 million USD on it, after removing DD fees. The port itself really can't have cost more than 200k to make, which leaves them with 4 million. Before retail.

I think it's safe to say that the PC port was very profitable.

LowerLevel

Funny, I just picked up Dark Souls today for the 360.

:).

I didn't realize it was a big seller. It's pretty cheap now, I picked it up for $19.

Yeah, it's unfortunately bargain bin for consoles at my local Walmart. $17 Ps3, $20 for 360... Along with ME3 lol.

This kinda proves that making the game more appealing to mainstream isn't necessarily the way to get more sales.

If you have solid gameplay and the foundation is strong then players will flock to it because that's what they care about most of all -- how a game plays. And while yes, Dark Souls doesn't hold the player's hand for anything, it's because the game can be "figured out" that makes it attractive, which is an idea that a lot of gamers who grew up during or before the 8-bit era can clearly remember and attest to.

I think if Square would take a hard look at what a game like Dark Souls can do then I think they could easily make a FF game much in the same vein as their "classic series" (FF1-6,9) without having to stick to lavish, state of the art CG cutscenes which a ton of people would rather skip.

Top Bottom