• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle: The Dreamer - Netflix special drops 31/12

Happy Fuck Yeah GIF by Radio Silence

American pea-brains in disarray

December 31, 2023 = 12-31-23. Do you ever say "thirty-one December"?

At the same time, I understand the sequencing preference of day-month-year. Both make sense in their own way, and it makes perfect sense that if you grew up with one, the other would seem dumb.

As for Chappelle, I'm always interested to hear a new special from him.

Tieno

thanks for the excellent date formatting. Job well done.
It was very easy to parse and know when the show will be released.
I can know comfortably and without any additional cognitive energy set this in my agenda so I can watch it on the date it gets released.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

At the same time, I understand the sequencing preference of day-month-year. Both make sense in their own way, and it makes perfect sense that if you grew up with one, the other would seem dumb.

Can’t u also say „thirty first of Dezember, 2023“ ?

Last edited:
Can’t u also say „thirty first of Dezember, 2023“ ?
Sure, but people generally don't. If you're talking about a date that is several months away, it's generally more useful and common to establish the month first, and then narrow the time in question to the date.

JimmyF

Yes, pretty common in Europe at least.

CGNoire

Love that Dave continues to tell his would be censors to Fuck Off but if Im being honest this was plain boring to watch. Im not sure I laughed at a single joke. Goddam his speechs and sermons go on so long now and he increasingly seems to have less and less to say. Dont get me started on his constant "Im the Goat" detours he takes in every damm special now. Still love Dave but he needs to go back to telling jokes. Sorry to say this but CK took the crown awhile ago.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Not his best but the ending story was pretty great and of course he masterfully weaves every segment into one another.

Dont get me started on his constant "Im the Goat" detours he takes in every damm special now.
I know what you mean about past recent specials, but I don't remember him doing that in the new one. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. If anything, he said Chris Rock might be the greatest living comic now.

CGNoire

I know what you mean about past recent specials, but I don't remember him doing that in the new one. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. If anything, he said Chris Rock might be the greatest living comic now.
It wasnt nearly as bad as his previous specials but its still there. Hes got some weird inferiority complex that flickers through here and there for some reason. What is it about the most successful people that has them holding onto childish insecurities long after they hit it big?

ShadowNate

It was good. Better than Gervais' which felt more improvised on the spot (as he acknowledged, yet I had hoped he was joking).

Still quite a few good laughs for me, and a strong finale.

Love that Dave continues to tell his would be censors to Fuck Off but if Im being honest this was plain boring to watch. Im not sure I laughed at a single joke. Goddam his speechs and sermons go on so long now and he increasingly seems to have less and less to say. Dont get me started on his constant "Im the Goat" detours he takes in every damm special now. Still love Dave but he needs to go back to telling jokes. Sorry to say this but CK took the crown awhile ago.
He's more of a storyteller than a comedian now. I prefer that to going the George Carlin route. I definitely have my issues with Chapelle though.

It wasnt nearly as bad as his previous specials but its still there. Hes got some weird inferiority complex that flickers through here and there for some reason. What is it about the most successful people that has them holding onto childish insecurities long after they hit it big?
Good question. I'm glad it seems to be reduced to more of a vibe now, rather than the outright "I'm so great" statements he's made in past specials. Never do like hearing that sort of thing, and I much more prefer humility.

ssringo

Just finished it myself. I'm reminded of an older special where Gervais, Seinfeld, Rock and Louis CK were chatting about comedy and (if I'm remembering this correctly) Louis is talking about a joke and he could make it work because he knew how to, not necessarily because it was a good joke. That's what Chappelle's special feels like to me. It's good only because Chappelle is good, not that the content is good.

T-0800

Because they are human and we all have insecurities to some degree.

BlackTron

What is it about the most successful people that has them holding onto childish insecurities long after they hit it big?

Famous people are still just people.

Edit: Being famous could make you more insecure. You feel its on you to live up to expectations of past accomplishments. All eyes are on you at all times. The smallest mistake will get you in the news for the wrong reasons. You subsequently second-guess and analyze every move you make, because the stakes are bigger and the whole world is watching.

I know this life is not for me. Any human being that can take it deserved to be famous.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
This was probably he's weakest special. A lot of he's jokes just weren't that funny to me and even kind of felt low effort at times.

CGNoire

Edit: Being famous could make you more insecure. You feel its on you to live up to expectations of past accomplishments. All eyes are on you at all times. The smallest mistake will get you in the news for the wrong reasons. You subsequently second-guess and analyze every move you make, because the stakes are bigger and the whole world is watching.

I know this life is not for me. Any human being that can take it deserved to be famous.
I hear ya.. Its not the insecuritie thats the issue its his "willfull" public display of it thats lame.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Just like Gervais's latest special, this was very...mediocre.

A couple of laughs here and there with a heavy dose of "preaching" sprinkled all around - in fact, Dave's storytelling preachy moments are kinda getting long in the tooth nowadays if I'm to be honest.

His weakest material /special so far.

Pretty much.
In my youth I wouldn’t have survived wealth and fame, I would’ve been found face down in a cocaine mountain surrounded by booze. Pushing 50 I wouldn’t want it, too many strings attached.

BlackTron

Pretty much.
In my youth I wouldn’t have survived wealth and fame, I would’ve been found face down in a cocaine mountain surrounded by booze. Pushing 50 I wouldn’t want it, too many strings attached.

Yeah and we wonder why celebrities go batshit crazy

Top Bottom