• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle: The Dreamer - Netflix special drops 31/12

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
An aside but it's crazy how jacked Dave got for a while. The dude was in his 40s and three times the size he was.

Eiknarf

Banned
Unlike Ricky Gervais’s new routine, this is funny.
Yeah I watched both back to back, and for the first time felt underwhelmed by Gervais’s latest, Armageddon

I thought he’d go harder against the woke.

Chappelle was great as always

mortal

Gold Member
I thought it was pretty decent. He revisits some familiar topics from his previous specials.
I had a few laughs, but it felt a bit pretentious at points tbh. Dave's a great storyteller, and the ones that end in punchlines are often clever, but I'm not a fan of his monologuing.
Having said that, the sentiment at the end was very endearing.

An interesting special, though not the funniest. Imo Killing Them Softly is still his best material, as far as standup is concerned.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Dave's a great storyteller, and the ones that end in punchlines are often clever, but I'm not a fan of his monologuing.

An interesting special, though not the funniest.
Although I never laughed "HAHA!" this felt more like a spoken word performance than stand up.

Still glad I watched it 🙂

CGNoire

I can read. Many people hold onto their insecurities for a lifetime no matter what they achieve in life.
No offense intended. Just wanted to clarify just in case.

Its the wearing it on his sleeve thats annoying.

Last edited:

Neolombax

It was decent, not his best. I'd rather him move to other topics than trans jokes. They feel familiar at this point. The way he tells these jokes are still phenomenal though. His disabled joke also felt juvenile.

Mistake

I feel like this special was half comedy, half lecture. Needs more jokes. It wasn't bad, just not great

Mossybrew

The beginning was funny. It kinda turned at his Titanic "joke" that was painfully not funny, which was maybe the point? Then he pivoted to Chris Rock, then the dude that attacked him onstage, and I just got really bored and turned it off.

Flutta

Banned
Seeing alot of people not liking the stand-up. I think sometimes you need to be in the mood to enjoy something. This goes for any type of entertainment.

Eiknarf

Banned
Seeing alot of people not liking the stand-up. I think sometimes you need to be in the mood to enjoy something. This goes for any type of entertainment.
Or it could be, because he comes out with a stand-up special every year. I think. While other comedians come out with a special every 3 to 5 years

belmarduk

I love how all those people Dave joked about were pictured at the end chilling and having fun together. That's the way things should be.

The Jim Carrey bit has had me laughing all week.

This was a C+ standup to me...
I thought it was pretty decent. He revisits some familiar topics from his previous specials.
Does he whine about woke and being cancelled again
...and this is why. This standup felt like a DVD extras/cut content of the last big standup he did(The Closer), which already felt like a part 2 of Sticks and Stones. The first bit regarding Jim Carrey was good stuff, but the rest felt like a slow decline in quality to the point where I checked Netflix halfway through to be sure this wasn't an extras featurette.

Also, I think Dave is so laser focused on the topics of lgbtq and cancel culture, that it is slowly eroding the quality of his library because there's so much else for him to talk about and make fun of in the best way Dave knows how to. I hate that he essentially is holding on to a grudge because those communities keep coming back to complain about him, which in turn riles him up even further to make fun of them, which causes them to complain even more. It is a shitty infinite loop until the day Dave decides he is done being in it.

Even when it comes to those topics, I feel like Andrew Schultz and Bill Burr do a better job of making fun of both in that edgy way.
An interesting special, though not the funniest. Imo Killing Them Softly is still his best material, as far as standup is concerned.
KTS is definitely a top 3 for me. Personally, I think his best special that stuck with me was 'Equanimity and The Bird Revelation'.

bender

What time is it?
This was a C+ standup to me...

...and this is why. This standup felt like a DVD extras/cut content of the last big standup he did(The Closer), which already felt like a part 2 of Sticks and Stones. The first bit regarding Jim Carrey was good stuff, but the rest felt like a slow decline in quality to the point where I checked Netflix halfway through to be sure this wasn't an extras featurette.

Also, I think Dave is so laser focused on the topics of lgbtq and cancel culture, that it is slowly eroding the quality of his library because there's so much else for him to talk about and make fun of in the best way Dave knows how to. I hate that he essentially is holding on to a grudge because those communities keep coming back to complain about him, which in turn riles him up even further to make fun of them, which causes them to complain even more. It is a shitty infinite loop until the day Dave decides he is done being in it.

Even when it comes to those topics, I feel like Andrew Schultz and Bill Burr do a better job of making fun of both in that edgy way.

KTS is definitely a top 3 for me. Personally, I think his best special that stuck with me was 'Equanimity and The Bird Revelation'.

Not really arguing anything you are saying but Dave holding onto things is something we should expect at this point.

I liked the set because he wrapped around that lame watery grave joke to the end with his wife and safety deposit box. Maybe that just hit with me extra special as my dad passed away and an incident with his safety deposit box earlier last year.

Not really arguing anything you are saying but Dave holding onto things is something we should expect at this point.

I liked the set because he wrapped around that lame watery grave joke to the end with his wife and safety deposit box. Maybe that just hit with me extra special as my dad passed away and an incident with his safety deposit box earlier last year.
No worries, I thought those two parts were nice too, it just wasn't one of his best wraparounds he's ever done.

I think Dave has had moments in time where he will eventually let things go. For example, he barely or doesn't talk at all about the shitty parts of Hollywood anymore. It took him a while, but he eventually let that go (at least when it comes to his standup material). My rating mainly comes from me comparing this special to all of his own previous talent and work, no other comedian or content, and asking myself if I'm going to A) come back to this and watch it again, B) How much it made me laugh and C) will it stand the test of time compared to his other shows and will I distinctly remember certain jokes from this.

Even on first view, there were about 3-4 jokes that kind of stuck with me and the rest were just okay. It honestly just made me want to go back and watch The Closer, which was a much better rendition of what this is.

bender

What time is it?
No worries, I thought those two parts were nice too, it just wasn't one of his best wraparounds he's ever done.

I think Dave has had moments in time where he will eventually let things go. For example, he barely or doesn't talk at all about the shitty parts of Hollywood anymore. It took him a while, but he eventually let that go (at least when it comes to his standup material). My rating mainly comes from me comparing this special to all of his own previous talent and work, no other comedian or content, and asking myself if I'm going to A) come back to this and watch it again, B) How much it made me laugh and C) will it stand the test of time compared to his other shows and will I distinctly remember certain jokes from this.

Even on first view, there were about 3-4 jokes that kind of stuck with me and the rest were just okay. It honestly just made me want to go back and watch The Closer, which was a much better rendition of what this is.

My perspective is the LGBT+ backlash took the place of Hollywood in the forefront of his mind and why we are now seeing it so prominently in his material. At the end of the day, even when Dave isn't at his best, I find him more entertaining than most, even when the most are firing on all cylinders. There is something very human and caring about Dave and those around him, whether that is friends, family or community and that caring always shines through. He's my favorite comic after Bill Hicks so take my views with a huge chunk of salt.

Last edited:
The beginning was funny. It kinda turned at his Titanic "joke" that was painfully not funny, which was maybe the point? Then he pivoted to Chris Rock, then the dude that attacked him onstage, and I just got really bored and turned it off.
Throughout the special he was playing with the notion of delayed punchlines. The Titanic joke, for instance, gets used again, when hes talking about the joke book his wife found in the safe deposit box, as its one of the jokes in the book. Dave also does this with the stripper at the strip club, whose name comes up as a punchline much later on, also when talking about his wife.

You don't often see comedians try to go for this style of setup that often, so I can appreciate the attempt, but it felt like far too much time was spent on these setups, and if you blink you miss it.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My perspective is the LGBT+ backlash took the place of Hollywood in the forefront of his mind and why we are now seeing it so prominently in his material.
When he went on again about trans people I just rolled my eyes.
His previous bit about the alphabet in a car was perfection. Move on to other topics.

This special felt like quick ideas he wrote on a napkin and exaggerated life stories.

Ok but not up to his usual standards.

MacReady13

I saw Dave last year here in Australia, and it was pretty much this exact set! I was wondering why I had heard so much of it before! I loved it live but considering i'd seen most of it before it wasn't as fresh or funny 2nd time around.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I saw Dave last year here in Australia, and it was pretty much this exact set! I was wondering why I had heard so much of it before! I loved it live but considering i'd seen most of it before it wasn't as fresh or funny 2nd time around.
Did ya throw some shrimp on the barbie

Top Bottom