• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Beckham loses driver's license for 6 months for using his cell phone while driving - CNN

CyberPanda

Banned
Former England football star David Beckham has been banned from driving for six months after he was caught using his mobile phone behind the wheel.

A south London court handed Beckham six points on his drivers' license for the offense in the British capital, reported UK media agency Press Association (PA).

With six points already on his license for other speeding offenses, Beckham, 43, now faces a ban.

The former Manchester United and England footballer was driving his Bentley in London's West End on November 21 when a member of the public spotted him using his phone, reports PA.

Beckham's lawyer, Gerrard Tyrrell, said that his client cannot remember the incident.

"There is no excuse for what took place but his view is as he cannot remember... he's going to plead guilty and that's what he's done," said Tyrrell.

Long-time coming. He's been photographed loads of time while driving on his phone. It does not send a good message to people. Nobody is so important that they need to look at a piece of plastic while operating a dangerous machine.

Also, can you change the thread title. This happened in Britain and we call them Mobile Phones :messenger_savoring:

womfalcs3

Banned
It's London. You don't need to drive there, anyway. Plus, he already six points on license. Repeat offender.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Heh when I saw the thumbnail I thought he was in the passenger seat.

But I'm not sure how to feel about this cause people should not use phones while driving since it's dangerous and pointless. But having someone going around specifically to snitch is gross.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Heh when I saw the thumbnail I thought he was in the passenger seat.

But I'm not sure how to feel about this cause people should not use phones while driving since it's dangerous and pointless. But having someone going around specifically to snitch is gross.
Not when the people you're snitching on are risking causing great damage to others through their carelessness.

Fuck them. Root them all out. I'd rather we have that, than risking someone run down my daughter while having their nose buried in their phone.

kingwingin

Not when the people you're snitching on are risking causing great damage to others through their carelessness.

Fuck them. Root them all out. I'd rather we have that, than risking someone run down my daughter while having their nose buried in their phone.
But all this guy is doing is catching people who text while they are almost parked.

I'd also argue it will just push people to text more while driving at higher speeds so some goof in a helmet doesn't sneak up on them

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You can text, call, get directions, play music etc all while hands free. There is no reason to have your phone out.

fuck snitches get stitches. idiots should not be using their phones when in the car. if i see anyone on their phone they are getting reported. my dash cam will record their license plate. i'll take the stitches if it means not putting someones life in danger. you try saying "snitches get stitches" to a parent of a kid who was killed by a driver on their phone and you'll be lucky if all you get are stitches.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Jesus how is she not in jail

9ntI0qV.gif

Last edited:

Dark Star

that sucks

IMO using your phone for a few seconds while driving is a very minor offense if you're on a quiet street doing like 20 MPH

it becomes a major problem when you're on the highway doing 70 MPH and you're texting a paragraph to your friend, completely zoned out and unaware of what's going on around you. that could get you or someone else killed or injured or in a serious wreck

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Getting caught with a cell phone while driving is different than drunk driving from whatever the case that’s a bummer.

Cyberpunkd

43 minutes for an Ambulance to arrive, I see why your healthcare is free over there.
Call handlers for the emergency telephone call categorised Dunn's injuries as category 2, requiring ambulance attention within 40 minutes; the ambulance arrived 43 minutes after the collision.

Not that much of a difference and was not the cause of his death. But by all means - feel proud for your 3rd world healthcare system.

Spaceman292

Banned
There’s a YouTuber in the UK who’s mission is to catch mobile phone users in cars and he’s helped convict hundreds in the courts.

Here’s him catching the Lock Stock 2 Smoking Barrels director Guy Ritchie.

What a hero. If you use your phone while driving you should be fined, jailed, egged and kicked in the balls and left in the woods.

Reallink

Call handlers for the emergency telephone call categorised Dunn's injuries as category 2, requiring ambulance attention within 40 minutes; the ambulance arrived 43 minutes after the collision.

Not that much of a difference and was not the cause of his death. But by all means - feel proud for your 3rd world healthcare system.
Wait, so was he already dead when the call was placed, or did he not die from the accident? Otherwise I'm having difficulty understanding how waiting 45 minutes for an ambulance wasn't related.

PS, our healthcare system is trash, but we do not wait 45 minutes for ambulances in deadly motorcycle accidents, and if we did, we'd blame/sue the city/state for the death, not make excuses for them.

Last edited:
Sounds like something that could be abused very easily. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Psh, never! The government is here to protect us. Our fellow citizen-police would never use such things for nefarious purposes. That's like insinuating the CCP would use social credit to oppress people! Ridiculous.

Tams

There’s a YouTuber in the UK who’s mission is to catch mobile phone users in cars and he’s helped convict hundreds in the courts.

Here’s him catching the Lock Stock 2 Smoking Barrels director Guy Ritchie.

People rightly should be punished for using their phone and driving (even in very slow traffic), but that guy comes across as an entitled cunt.

And seriously, using your own language's greeting to a stranger in the UK? Reeks of entitlement.

Also, while catching these wrongdoers, I'm pretty sure he's breaking some traffic laws or at least advice.

Jeremy Vine is the same (and it seems that they get on well, surprise, surprise).

Last edited:

Ionian

People rightly should be punished for using their phone and driving (even in very slow traffic), but that guy comes across as an entitled cunt.

And seriously, using your own language's greeting to a stranger in the UK? Reeks of entitlement.

Also, while catching these wrongdoers, I'm pretty sure he's breaking some traffic laws or at least advice.

Jeremy Vine is the same (and it seems that they get on well, surprise, surprise).

He's been doing these videos for years, seen several. He goes after people and pretty sure I saw some people go after him.

When I was cycling I was smashed many times from people not paying attention, so I get that part.

But;

"And seriously, using your own language's greeting to a stranger in the UK? Reeks of entitlement."

"Also, while catching these wrongdoers, I'm pretty sure he's breaking some traffic laws or at least advice."

Errrrr................................... Is this an ERA thing?

Do you even cycle bro?

Tams

He's been doing these videos for years, seen several. He goes after people and pretty sure I saw some people go after him.

When I was cycling I was smashed many times from people not paying attention, so I get that part.

But;

"And seriously, using your own language's greeting to a stranger in the UK? Reeks of entitlement."

"Also, while catching these wrongdoers, I'm pretty sure he's breaking some traffic laws or at least advice."

Errrrr................................... Is this an ERA thing?

Do you even cycle bro?
It's presumptuous to greet someone you don't know in a language that's not local.

And he was partially blocking the opposite lane.

Plus, he tone of voice, and that all adds up to make me not like this vigilante. It doesn't matter that there are too many bad drivers of out there; catching them is the job of authorities who actually have the power to punish people.

P.S. Never been on Era.

Last edited:

Ionian

It's presumptuous to greet someone you don't know in a language that's not local.

And he was partially blocking the opposite lane.

Plus, he tone of voice, and that all adds up to make me not like this vigilante. It doesn't matter that there are too many bad drivers of out there; catching them is the job of authorities who actually have the power to punish people.

P.S. Never been on Era.

The guy is annoying as fuck, I'd tell him to piss off if it was me.

However, both are British. Same language, 'English'.

EDIT: Look at his other videos, people go after him. I knew people like him, it doesn't end well usually.

As I said I've been knocked down many times cycling. The introduction of those pay-as-you-go bikes has made crossing the road a nightmare so cars aren't the biggest worry. Some ignore lights and come out of nowhere.

Cyclists without hi-vis jackets doing deliveries are a nightmare now but that's an aside really. Thanks Deliveroo etc. Have been hit several times and I cycle and can be accused of hopping lanes, which is what he did.

Last edited:

Tams

The guy is annoying as fuck, I'd tell him to piss off if it was me.

However, both are British. Same language, 'English'.

EDIT: Look at his other videos, people go after him. I knew people like him, it doesn't end well usually.

As I said I've been knocked down many times cycling. The introduction of those pay-as-you-go bikes has made crossing the road a nightmare so cars aren't the biggest worry. Some ignore lights and come out of nowhere.

Cyclists without hi-vis jackets doing deliveries are a nightmare now but that's an aside really. Thanks Deliveroo etc. Have been hit several times and I cycle and can be accused of hopping lanes, which is what he did.
'Shalom' is a Hebrew greeting. He just got lucky that Richie speaks some Hebrew.

Ionian

'Shalom' is a Hebrew greeting. He just got lucky that Richie speaks some Hebrew.

Who doesn't know 'Shalom', especially in London?

Restaurants even use it in their name, it's not alien language. I doubt anyone is ignorant of that.

Refer to my previous post, this guy makes a game out of filming car drivers he doesn't like. The proof, his own channel.

He looks for trouble, even in that video he is a danger on his bike with oncoming traffic for no reason other than to pontificate to cause more danger with the confrontation. His channel is full of videos like it.

His whole channel is him doing this, like the world is against him cycling. Like, Jesus Christ, sign up to the Police, they have dudes on bikes too. At least get paid for it instead of being a dickhead.

Tams

Who doesn't know 'Shalom', especially in London?

Restaurants even use it in their name, it's not alien language. I doubt anyone is ignorant of that.

Refer to my previous post, this guy makes a game out of filming car drivers he doesn't like. The proof, his own channel.

He looks for trouble, even in that video he is a danger on his bike with oncoming traffic for no reason other than to pontificate to cause more danger with the confrontation. His channel is full of videos like it.

His whole channel is him doing this, like the world is against him cycling. Like, Jesus Christ, sign up to the Police, they have dudes on bikes too. At least get paid for it instead of being a dickhead.
It still isn't how you greet strangers. Just because it's a well-known greeting doesn't change that.

'Namaste' is a far more well-known greeting (one that more than just London will know - in fact around the world is well-known) and given the number of Indian people in the UK would be more likely to work. I still would never greet a stranger with it in the UK, not even if I were certain they were of Indian heritage.

Anyway, I agree he's a nob and technically a vigilante that the police should get to stop. But then again, they tolerate the wanker Jeremy Vine, so...

Last edited:

Ionian

It still isn't how you greet strangers. Just because it's a well-known greeting doesn't change that.

'Namaste' is a far more well-known greeting (one that more than just London will know - in fact around the world is well-known) and given the number of Indian people in the UK would be more likely to work. I still would never greet a stranger with it in the UK, not even if I were certain they were of Indian heritage.

Anyway, I agree he's a nob and technically a vigilante that the police should get to stop. But then again, they tolerate the wanker Jeremy Vine, so...

The cyclist says it, the driver didn't. Watch it again. Driver says hello. Crazy times!

The driver simply says "hello".

Last edited:
Top Bottom