• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe Thinks Sony Should Sue Over Game And Movie Titles

Flavius

Dogenzaka said:
Like when they DO post relevant game news, does Kotaku even think about what they write when it involves games anymore, or are they just trying to get site-hits by posting the most controversially appealing headline within 15 minutes after lurking a message board for news?

You already know the answer.

Kotaku is shit. Brian's shit. Stephen, sadly, became shit.

Jaffe is ignorant, Sony wouldn't have a case. This isn't about copyright, it's about trademark, which are two very different things. No one would buy Scrap Metal thinking they were getting Twisted Metal, and no one is going to think the War of the Gods movie has anything to do with the God of War games.

Jex

While there is a fair bit of over-reaction in this thread that doesn't make what Jaffe originally wrote any less dumb. If copywrite is such a complicated issue maybe he shouldn't bring it up.

Even if he didn't mean it in the way people interpreted it thats no defence because he should have been more clear about his intentions.

As to people complaining that it was just a blog post - yes, it's true that it's just a comment. But when you're a well known figure in an industry and you have a publically viewable blog it seems like common sense to consider the implications of what you write.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
BTW, did anyone tell David that Scrap Metal is a racing game in the style of Rock & Roll Racing, which came out like 100 years before Twisted Metal?

Or how about RC Pro Am which came out a hundred years before that and was made by...

Wait for it.

It was made by Rare.

Jaffe should shut the fuck up until someone asks him a question.

Flavius

I wonder how many of you fuckers actually played Rock n Roll Racing, or Twisted Metal for that matter.

The aesthetic shares nothing in common with Rock n Roll Racing...abso-fucking-lutely nothing.

It does, however, share an awful lot in common with the Twisted Metal games.

Take that, and an otherwise generic/pretty shitty title, and one could make the case that the devs for Scrap Metal borrowed heavily from the Twisted Metal franchise.

No one's saying "nuke 'em." No one's saying it's an isolated incident that's never occurred before in the history of the industry. Rather, someone's merely pointing at the fucking elephant in the room.

You guys treat Gaffe like that girl you wanted to bang, but knew you didn't have a shot so you decided to be a total dick to her.

The aesthetic shares nothing in common with Rock n Roll Racing...abso-fucking-lutely nothing.

Have you seen anything about the game? There are videos online. Plenty. Go and look. Go on.

See? Overhead vehicular battle. Very much in the vein of RC Pro Am and Rock and Roll Racing.

Flavius

I'm drawing a distinction here between the mechanics, perspective, and appearance of the game.

I'm referring to the look, the art, on screen text, menus, etc.

Flavius said:
I'm drawing a distinction here between the mechanics, perspective, and appearance of the game.

I'm referring to the look, the art, on screen text, menus, etc.

There are plenty of other apocalyptic and humorous vehicular combat games out there. The art style is more reminiscent of the stylized GTA portraits than anything out of Twisted Metal.

Flavius said:
I wonder how many of you fuckers actually played Rock n Roll Racing, or Twisted Metal for that matter.

Take that, and an otherwise generic/pretty shitty title, and one could make the case that the devs for Scrap Metal borrowed heavily from the Twisted Metal franchise.

No one's saying "nuke 'em." No one's saying it's an isolated incident that's never occurred before in the history of the industry. Rather, someone's merely pointing at the fucking elephant in the room.

You guys treat Gaffe like that girl you wanted to bang, but knew you didn't have a shot so you decided to be a total dick to her.
True story, I once spent 23 hours straight playing Rock N Roll Racing. Yes, the aesthetic is different, but the gameplay is similar. Certainly far more similar than it is to Twisted Metal.

Are the aesthetics similar? Yeah, I'll give you that. Though it's fair to point out, I think, that Twisted Metal had some of the most generic aesthetics going, especially prior to Black. At any rate, similar aesthetics do not make a rip-off, or else Crash Bandicoot would be a rip-off of Sonic the Hedgehog, which it isn't.

Anyway, all of this is just contributing to the misunderstanding that this thread has been leaning on. Jaffe was pretty much just making a comment/crack about tit-for-tat since he had to change Criminal Crackdown's name. Trying to make anything more than that out of it just makes everyone look dumb.

Jaffe was pretty much just making a comment/crack about tit-for-tat since he had to change Criminal Crackdown's name. Trying to make anything more than that out of it just makes everyone look dumb.

Combating stupid with stupid is never a smart idea.

Flavius

Segata Sanshiro said:
True story, I once spent 23 hours straight playing Rock N Roll Racing. Yes, the aesthetic is different, but the gameplay is similar. Certainly far more similar than it is to Twisted Metal.

Are the aesthetics similar? Yeah, I'll give you that. Though it's fair to point out, I think, that Twisted Metal had some of the most generic aesthetics going, especially prior to Black. At any rate, similar aesthetics do not make a rip-off, or else Crash Bandicoot would be a rip-off of Sonic the Hedgehog, which it isn't.

Anyway, all of this is just contributing to the misunderstanding that this thread has been leaning on. Jaffe was pretty much just making a comment/crack about tit-for-tat since he had to change Criminal Crackdown's name. Trying to make anything more than that out of it just makes everyone look dumb.

He's posted a couple of follow-ups since the original entry. I have no doubt one of his intentions was to reference what happened with CAC, but it's pretty apparent that wasn't his sole intent.

As for "rip-off"? Your words, not mine. ;)

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Combating stupid with stupid is never a smart idea.
Oh, I certainly agree, but just as I can't get too angry with a baby for puking on my shoulder, so too I can't get angry with Jaffe for making blunt remarks. It's his nature and he's the one that has to live with what acting that way leads to.

Flavius said:
He's posted a couple of follow-ups since the original entry. I have no doubt one of his intentions was to reference what happened with CAC, but it's pretty apparent that wasn't his sole intent.

As for "rip-off"? Your words, not mine. ;)
You implied it, but feel free to act cute.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
KungFuGrip said:
Jaffe is ignorant, Sony wouldn't have a case. This isn't about copyright, it's about trademark, which are two very different things. No one would buy Scrap Metal thinking they were getting Twisted Metal, and no one is going to think the War of the Gods movie has anything to do with the God of War games.

Just bc you say it, doesn't mean it's true.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Segata Sanshiro said:
What if someone is naturally adorable? ^_^

Looks like this thread took a right hand turn into the carnival of stupid. A stupid quote taken out of context from a personal log, hyped up to high heaven, and then spun in every direction.

Cruzader

Banned
Voyevoda007 said:
People are taking this way to seriously, It's his personal blog. He can write w/e he wants. Y'all need to chill out.

Flavius said:
You guys treat Jaffe like that girl you wanted to bang, but knew you didn't have a shot so you decided to be a total dick to her.

Yup. I dont get it.

I guess some users see GAF as their personal blog and want to rage at him even though they are not related to his rant.

Flavius

Segata Sanshiro said:

Cute?

I am most certainly not "tentacle willing" you sick fuck.

Let's keep focused on the topic at hand. Namely, why Jaffe's opinion is wrong.

Cruzader said:
Yup. I dont get it.

I guess some users see GAF as their personal blog and want to rage at him even though they are not related to his rant.
Ehn, it's the nature of a discussion forum. Gaming industry figure makes comments (anywhere), people post what they think about it. Some people have big agendas, some people have little ones. Fans of some companies attack, fans of other companies defend. The only thing I don't get is why you act like you're so above it all.

Cruzader

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, it's the nature of a discussion forum. Gaming industry figure makes comments (anywhere), people post what they think about it. Some people have big agendas, some people have little ones. Fans of some companies attack, fans of other companies defend. The only thing I don't get is why you act like you're so above it all.
Because I dont see what the deal is. Its his opinion, no? He might be wrong but to tell him to "fuck off" or something is like really? You guys really taking this too far, eh? I dont mind ppls having their own opinions on it but raging on all of his opinions is dumb. Its like ppls get shocked at all his blog posts knowing how he is.

Cruzader said:
Because I dont see what the deal is. Its his opinion, no? He might be wrong but to tell him to "fuck off" or something is like really? You guys really taking this too far, eh? I dont mind ppls having their own opinions on it but raging on all of his opinions is dumb. Its like ppls get shocked at all his blog posts knowing how he is.
Ehn, I never told him to "fuck off", so don't "you guys" me, please.

Certainly, if Jaffe is entitled to rage (and he certainly does from time to time), then others are as well. Any criticism you might levy at people freaking out on Jaffe's melon applies equally to the man himself.

Gestahl

Haunted said:
And this is why juniors get made fun of.

There's a guy with Member status right above you that's incapable of typing the word people, I don't think it's a junior specific issue.

Cruzader

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, I never told him to "fuck off", so don't "you guys" me, please.

Certainly, if Jaffe is entitled to rage (and he certainly does from time to time), then others are as well. Any criticism you might levy at people freaking out on Jaffe's melon applies equally to the man himself.

Fair point and I didnt mean you were saying that, just some users here. Others are giving their opinion on it and thats fine. Sorry for my wording.

Anyhow if anyone wants to rage and did so on their own personal blog, I dont think anyone would care but this is a open Gaming forum. If Jaffe raged on Gaf, then yes, they could rage back at him all they want and go nuts. (see Too Human)

Haunted

Gestahl said:
There's a guy with Member status right above you that's incapable of typing the word people, I don't think it's a junior specific issue.
Don't you get snarky with me, young man!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cruzader said:
Anyhow if anyone wants to rage and did so on their own personal blog, I dont think anyone would care
If it's a public blog, personal or not it's open to people to comment on.

Cruzader said:
Fair point and I didnt mean you were saying that, just some users here. Others are giving their opinion on it and thats fine. Sorry for my wording.

Anyhow if anyone wants to rage and did so on their own personal blog, I dont think anyone would care but this is a open Gaming forum. If Jaffe raged on Gaf, then yes, they could rage back at him all they want and go nuts. (see Too Human)
He has raged on GAF before, though, that's the thing.

krypt0nian said:
ITT: Jaffe gets GAF's tight panties in an uproar.
ITP: GAF gets krypt0nian's sheer cut panties in an uproar. A little... too sheer.

Flavius

Segata Sanshiro said:
ITP: GAF gets krypt0nian's sheer cut panties in an uproar. A little... too sheer.

*rimshot*

Hey, folks...take my wife...PLEASE!

*rimshot*

Hey, I was having dinner with a doctor friend of mine, and started choking on a piece of steak. He walked over to give me the..whaddayacallit?...heimlich maneuver, and I looked back at him in horror and he said..."don't worry buddy, I'm not going to charge you weekend rates."

*rimshot*

Hey, is this thing on? *blows into microphone* Let me tell you about my mother-in-law. Talk about man's best friend...woof!

*rimshot*

I'll be here at GAF all week, folks! Try the veal!

Koren

Voyevoda007 said:
People are taking this way to seriously, It's his personal blog. He can write w/e he wants. Y'all need to chill out.
It's not as if we were dead serious about it either.

But if he writes whatever he wants, we're also free to find the idea of a trial over that issue pretty retarded (especially when God of War, for example, existed before Sony's game)

Flavius said:
*rimshot*

Hey, folks...take my wife...PLEASE!

*rimshot*

Hey, I was having dinner with a doctor friend of mine, and started choking on a piece of steak. He walked over to give me the..whaddayacallit?...heimlich maneuver, and I looked back at him in horror and he said..."don't worry buddy, I'm not going to charge you weekend rates."

*rimshot*

Hey, is this thing on? *blows into microphone* Let me tell you about my mother-in-law. Talk about man's best friend...woof!

*rimshot*

I'll be here at GAF all week, folks! Try the veal!
See, now isn't this better?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Koren said:
It's not as if we were dead serious about it either.

But if he writes whatever he wants, we're also free to find the idea of a trial over that issue pretty retarded (especially when God of War, for example, existed before Sony's game)

Plenty of people seem pretty serious. Your point about God of War is irrelevant because Greek Mythology is public domain. Jaffe was expressing concern over how similar some titles were to titles owned by Sony.

Again, I don't agree with his point, I don't think anyone has a case, but your analogy, like many in this thread, doesn't hold up.

raziel said:
ms is putting out a car combat game called scrap metal?

really?
That would be Slick Entertainment. MS is only involved because they're the default publisher for independent games on XBLA.

raziel said:
ms is putting out a car combat game called scrap metal?

really?
With aesthetics that are close to the Twisted Metal games. Car Combat within the video game medium with similar style to twisted metal with a similar name. People who act like Jaffe doesn't have any sort of case don't understand IP protection. You're just wrong. Although litigation probably won't happen, how can you blame a creator who wants to protect his brand? He's probably working on it right now. People are just looking for ways to be a dick to Jaffe because he called people out on this forum in the past.

Danj

The trademark ripoff industry needs more Spoonerism. Like, maybe someone should make a game about fighting Geek Grods called "Wad of Gore".

Jex

KratosKilla said:
Weople who act like Jaffe doesn't have any sort of case don't understand IP protection. You're just wrong. Although litigation probably won't happen, how can you blame a creator who wants to protect his brand? He's probably working on it right now. People are just looking for ways to be a dick to Jaffe because he called people out on this forum in the past.

So you're suggesting everyone in the first few pages was personally wounded by Jaffe at some point, and this is all part of their revenge? That seems like a sweeping generalization.

Gravijah

When I see someone with a Kratos avatar defending Jaffe (Who I like mind you) I automatically turn my brain off. You guys are allowed to do the same when I talk about Pokemon.

Gravijah said:
When I see someone with a Kratos avatar defending Jaffe (Who I like mind you) I automatically turn my brain off. You guys are allowed to do the same when I talk about Pokemon.
Dude back off. And if ur name is Kratos I suggest running away fast before your killa'd.

Slavik81

Gravijah said:
Hey, not all people are defined by their avatars. Not even I would contend that the second half of Death Note was good.

[Nintex]

Want to get rid of your debts SEGA/Namdai?

Sue everyone! Demon's Souls, lol wut Soul Calibur was first. Killzone? That sounds just like Comix Zone and Fantasy Zone!

What the hell Jaffe, think before you post.

Can't wait for another Bonus Round with this guy:
Geoff: "You guys Jaffe is going to use naughty words now *giggle*"
Jaffe: "Well *beep* everyone and everything and *beep* and *beep* and up the *beep* digital *beep* download *beep*
Geoff: *giggle*

I really hate how much of a wet blanket he is when defending his opinions, either before or after the fact.

I mean look at this shit:

I would guess in 99% of cases like this, no one is out to harm anyone else. It is simply a misunderstanding or an oversight that, when brought to light, could be corrected. I harbor no ill will or resentment towards the people making SCRAP METAL or the people making WAR OF THE GODS. They both sound like products right up my alley and I will be purchasing a download and a ticket to each one, respectively, once they hit...whatever their names end up being.

With the exception of MAYBE .1% of the people who are even aware of this discussion we are having, you don't know if my claims have merit in court and neither do I.

Hey, looks like a great game! Right up my alley! Day one purchase for me. But come on guys

That isn't good-natured ribbing for the sake of discussion (and/or self-promotion), that's farting and trying to pretend it didn't happen.

Hell find any of his so called "controversial" opinions and they will be full of this annoyingly effacing "Hey guys don't get me wrong I would never... but don't you think maybe?" bullshit. His obsession over winning Internet Arguments distracts an awful lot from his point.

Denzar

Anyway, I hope you guys will cover our games in the future. There are numerous companies and numerous people- not just me- who are busting ass to make our stuff. So I hope we can all count on a fair shake when you play and cover our games. But please- fucking stop covering me. You clearly can't do it right. And please, don't call me for any more favors. I have a feeling I'll be busy.

Thanks.

David

Go Jaffe!

Top Bottom