• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day of the Tentacle, a timeless LucasArts classic

liquidtmd

Banned
Yes. When they bought George Lucas's company, that included Lucas Arts as well, along with all of their original franchises. That includes the rights to Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Full Throttle, The Dig, Grim Fandango, probably even Zombies ate my Neighbors, and other things too. They do not own Sam & Max however, which is property of its original creator Steve Purcell, who is now an employee at Telltale Games. But they do own the rights to Sam & Max: Hit the Road, which is why this game has never seen a re-release from Telltale. Disney also owns the rights to Indiana Jones, the characters but not the movie rights. So they could re-release Fate of Atlantis as well, but probably not The Last Crusade, as it is based on the movie. Universal owns the movie rights to the Indiana Jones movies.

They definitely didn't throw these properties out as there are still money to be made in them.

The only reason why Grim Fandango is getting a remastering, is because Disney granted Tim Schafer and DoubleFine a chance to remake it.

Thanks for the info

Contracts and Licensing interests me. I wonder what Disney got / get out of the Grim Fandango deal

Xander51

Yes. When they bought George Lucas's company, that included Lucas Arts as well, along with all of their original franchises. That includes the rights to Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Full Throttle, The Dig, Grim Fandango, probably even Zombies ate my Neighbors, and other things too. They do not own Sam & Max however, which is property of its original creator Steve Purcell, who is now an employee at Telltale Games. But they do own the rights to Sam & Max: Hit the Road, which is why this game has never seen a re-release from Telltale. Disney also owns the rights to Indiana Jones, the characters but not the movie rights. So they could re-release Fate of Atlantis as well, but probably not The Last Crusade, as it is based on the movie. Universal owns the movie rights to the Indiana Jones movies.

They definitely didn't throw these properties out as there are still money to be made in them.

The only reason why Grim Fandango is getting a remastering, is because Disney granted Tim Schafer and DoubleFine a chance to remake it.

Last Crusade is available on Steam. Also, it was Paramount that used to own the movie rights, and Disney got them back at the end of last year.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201312/3805/

IrishNinja

i adore Maniac Mansion, but never got to finish this one...i will one day though!

If it was as crappy-looking as the MI remakes, it's probably for the best.

seriously? who didn't like the MI remakes? even if you didn't dig the art style, you could switch back...geez

StewboaT_

Recently played through this gem, and it still holds up to this day. Definitely one of my favs from my childhood!

"yoohoo, Mr. Tentacle guy, I have to go to the bathroom!"

Ravidrath

Definitely my favorite adventure game, ever.

As happy as I was about the Grim Fandango remake announcement, I would've been approximately10X happier if it had been Day of the Tentacle.

One of my games of all time. I still remember when I got this as a kid, got stuck several times until I finally made it to the end.

I nearly exploded when they said that an HD remaster was canned :( I Hope Grim Fandango sells well, so we can have a DOTT remastered.

I'd also recommend, for those who never played it, Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel. Trust me on this one, it rivals Lucasarts' best. Pure old school point and click brilliance

Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_4.png

Bah Gawd what a great game. Never got to finish it though. It's pretty creepy at some times.

WarRock

Me and friend played DoT for the first time a couple of years ago; we had a blast! One of the funniest games ever made and VERY charming, no doubt.

Planning to replay it with a crowd who doesn't know about it since I'm living with a bunch of housemates right now.

Nanashrew

Banned
Just like Grimfandango I never got a chance to play this game when I was younger. I would happily shell out some money for a re-release or a remaster if it were to ever happen.

:< I really wanna play some of these old PC games.

Just like Grimfandango I never got a chance to play this game when I was younger. I would happily shell out some money for a re-release or a remaster if it were to ever happen.

:< I really wanna play some of these old PC games.

You could always get on eBay, buy the discs, and run them in emulators such as ScummVM and ResidualVM. Extremely easy to do, and after doing a quick search on eBay Day of the Tentacle can be bought for around $10. Grim is a bit pricier but there's a remake coming so you could just wait for that.

Nanashrew

Banned
You could always get on eBay, buy the discs, and run them in emulators such as ScummVM and ResidualVM. Extremely easy to do, and after doing a quick search on eBay Day of the Tentacle can be bought for around $10. Grim is a bit pricier but there's a remake coming so you could just wait for that.

I didn't realize DoT was so cheap. I might just do that!

Boem

Steve Purcell doesn't work at Telltale, he's a director, designer and voice actor at Pixar. He directed parts of Brave (especially involving the three kids and all the comedy bits), worked on character design on parts of the Cars franchise and is currently directing an upcoming Toy Story tv special. He voices a lot of small background characters in a lot of the movies (and toys/videogames) as well. He really doesn't have much to do with Telltale's Sam & Max games apart from allowing them to make the games and sitting in on early design meetings.

And Sony was apparently the prime instigator in the Grim Fandango remake. They approached Disney by themselves because they wanted to do something with all the old adventure games (so the others could very well receive a similar treatment if Grim is a success), and only later did they find out that Double Fine was interested as well. They decided to do right by the fans and let Schafer direct the remake himself.

Paramount owns the distribution rights (and only the distribution rights) to the first four movies, with Disney getting a certain amount of revenue as well. Disney owns the rest of the intellectual property and the distribution rights for possible future movies. Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis are still on Steam from when Lucasarts rereleased them a couple of years ago (along with The Dig, Loom and the remakes of the first two Monkey Islands), that money just goes to Disney now.

...Sorry, know way too much about Lucasarts-related matters, can't help myself sometimes :p.

Edit: What I really want to happen: I hope Sony lets Double Fine create a sequel to Day of the Tentacle. Dave Grossman is now creative lead at Telltale, but I hope he'd be willing to sit in on a couple of design meetings with Schafer to get the old team back together. I don't have any concrete wishes for the game itself, but I want there to be a pc at the halfway point in the game on which you can play Day of the Tentacle in it's entirety. Halfway through that game you can play Maniac Mansion in it's entirety. And, just to make the circle complete, I'd be fine with them adding in a 1980s pc in Maniac Mansion that boots you back into the new game.

DOTT is my favourite comedy Lucasarts adventure game(with Fate of Atlantis my favourite overall). Only other time I've ever played a game as funny was the ben & dan games.

DOTT also had brilliant puzzles, and spectacular presentation - the art, animation, music and voice acting were all phenomenal.

I try and replay it every time I've forgotten a few of the puzzles(though most of them are seared in my memory forever).

Top Bottom