• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DCUO: 18 million registered users, #1 revenue generating F2P title on PS3 & PS4.

USC-fan

Banned
"DC Universe Online has really taken off," SOE president John Smedley told me when I asked him which free-to-play game is doing best for them. "It's the number one performing free-to-play game on the PlayStation Network."

Its numbers would seem to reflect that surprising success. It currently boasts 18 million registered users, and it is the number one revenue generating free-to-play title on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. Maybe not that impressive given the comparative paucity of free-to-play games on the PlayStation Network, but not too shabby given where DC Universe Online was a few years ago.

more than 70 percent of DC Universe Online's playerbase is now on either the PS3 or PS4.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-surprising-success-of-dc-universe-online

Last year they reported 11 million users and gain 7 million since that time.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/0...n-registered-users-soe-explains-f2p-strategy/

Anyone looking for something to play on PS4 should try it out.

I remember buying the game when it launched on PS3 (that disk is no worthless). Played it for a month then stopped. It was pretty alright but I don't know, didn't really grasp me. Might give a try on PS4.

unbias

Good game with a very sorta trinity system. Almost GW2ish in a sense. Also, they have "controller" classes, I miss controller classes in MMO's now it is simply DPS/Tank/Heal.

RyoonZ

Banned
I played it for a few hours but I really hate each time I want to play I have to update a few GBs.
So I deleted it lol.

The fact that DCUO has always performed better on Playstation platforms than PC makes me wonder why they aren't prioritizing PS4 versions of their other games a bit more. Planetside 2 still doesn't have a date and who knows when Everquest Next will see the light of day on the platform.

georgc

My brother loves this game he has put like $300 into this thing. I played it for like a month and got bored.

Holy shit, people are still playing this.

I'm actually surprised. I didn't think it was bad, but I'm just surprised it still has legs. Nothing about it really seemed like it stood out or anything.

Good for them!

USC-fan

Banned
Had to delete this from my PS4, got sick of the constant ~7GB updates.
That was fix with the last major PS4 system update back in spring.

Wonder if it'll manage to sustain itself till Dawn of Justice and Justice League movie.

Could really be a boost to popularity.

They have road map of almost 2 years out right now. Just announced 3 new powers and 3 more DLC. They have 9 DLCs pack already announced. They are released every 3 months.

They jut did something for the 75 year of batman and already announce plan for flash next year.

The fact that DCUO has always performed better on Playstation platforms than PC makes me wonder why they aren't prioritizing PS4 versions of their other games a bit more. Planetside 2 still doesn't have a date and who knows when Everquest Next will see the light of day on the platform.
I think the success is what push them into even having the games on PS4.

I just hope we get the SOE game pass that lets you play all games for the same price like on PC. It $15 a month for all games.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I played it until I got to end game shit, then it was really hard to get any of the really good content going so I quit.

I tried to play it again around PS4 launch but I couldnt remember what the fuck to do, lol

Matriox

When I first got my PS4, I was jamming this game more than anything else I had at the time, which wasnt much between CoD Ghosts being the worst cod, BF4 being nearly broken, and Killzone SF which I didn't love at all. Granted that was a bunch of shooters, I spent more time than I expected to with DCUO, would probably still play but more games came out and killed my DCUO time.

Ken

Good for them.

Played it and launch and thought it was decent. Don't think I will go back but it definitely had potential.

OT:

Does Sony have some kind partnership/license to DC Universe?
Well it appears that they've had a special relationship with Warner Brothers since at least the release of Arkham Asylum. Every WB game, except Injustice actually, has had exclusive content for the PS3/PS4. I think that it is continuing with Arkham Knight and Shadow of Mordor, but I'm not sure.

I played on PS3 for good 3-4 months with some friends. Was fun. Maxing out is easy. Hit a glitch during end game and kinda killed my drive. Might play again when I get my PS4.

Wow. 70% of players on consoles. That's a lot higher than I would've guessed

Did they ever work out the "SOE bux" vs. "PS bux" issue? (Sorry, don't recall the actual names.) I was all set to subscribe until I learned I had to deal with separate, incompatible forms of fake money to buy perks.

I remember letting this game download all night several years back. The following day when it was done I spent over an hour creating my Superheroes look and then it hard froze my console. Haven't touched it since, lol.

Great numbers though, F2P can be great if it's done right.

jiggle

Now gimme me everquest
Tried to play this
But ew
How could something with Jim Leegend's name attached be so ugly

USC-fan

Banned
Wow. 70% of players on consoles. That's a lot higher than I would've guessed

Did they ever work out the "SOE bux" vs. "PS bux" issue? (Sorry, don't recall the actual names.) I was all set to subscribe until I learned I had to deal with separate, incompatible forms of fake money to buy perks.

They use station cash on both PSN and PC. They said it was a work around for having sales on PSN. Now we get 50% sales very couple of month.

Subscribe has nothing to do with this. You just pay $10-$15 a month on PSN, its autopay. Right now there is a special for 3 months for $30.

DCUO was made by SOE(Sony Online Entertainment) so thats why its not on Xbox.

The funny thing is sony develops more games for PC game than MS..... just crazy.

crinale

I remember letting this game download all night several years back. The following day when it was done I spent over an hour creating my Superheroes look and then it hard froze my console. Haven't touched it since, lol.

Great numbers though, F2P can be great if it's done right.

This. I hope more devs/pubs and users come up with F2P game business model that everyone wins.

USC-fan

Banned
What's the community like now?

Are there a lot of people playing still?

Better than ever. At least on PS. Had a lot of people i played with come back to the game after getting a PS4.

The game really doesnt run well on PS3. Runs like a dream on PS4, its 1080p 60FPS on PS4.

They use station cash on both PSN and PC. They said it was a work around for having sales on PSN. Now we get 50% sales very couple of month.

Subscribe has nothing to do with this. You just pay $10-$15 a month on PSN, its autopay. Right now there is a special for 3 months for $30.
Thanks. So Station Cash is the stuff that's always been available on PC, and now PS players can also buy it too?

What about the err, "Console Cash"? Did they finally do away with that? Here's my issue. When I looked in to subscribing, the subscription included 500 Console Cash every month. Sweet. The thing is, Console Cash bought all the same stuff for all the same prices, but Console Cash could only be spent at these stupid vending machines, while Station Cash could be spent while standing in the middle of the street. So that was sort of a kick in the nuts right there.

But to add insult to injury, the two forms of cash, while equivalent, are completely incompatible with each other. SC can't be used in the CC store, and CC can't be used in the SC store, even though you're buying the same stuff. Even that wouldn't be so bad, but I could only buy SC, not CC, but my "allowance" was always in the form of CC.

So let's say I just got my 500 CC allowance, and I also have 500 SC in my pocket that I'd already purchased. If I want something that costs 1000 Cash, I'm unable to buy it, because I only have 500 of a given type. My only options are to come out of pocket for more SC, or sit on my thumb for a month while I wait for another dose of CC.

When I asked about it on the official forums a few months ago, I was told that CC came to be because SCE and SOE couldn't come to an agreement on selling SC on PSN. Okay, fine, but after that was all sorted out, why keep the incompatible CC around, when they could've easily just converted everything to SC? It just felt like an extra slap in the face to console users, for no good reason that I could determine. So yeah, no subbing for me.

So have they finally done away with the Console Cash, or will I still be a second-class citizen?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wasn't there a thread a few months ago claiming that Warframe was the #1 revenue generating F2P on PS4? Maybe DCUO has surpassed it now...

Edit: found the thread. I guess Warframe is the highest downloaded F2P game but must not be the highest in revenue.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811150
Warframe is the #1 revenue generator on PS4, DCUO is #1 if you count both PS3 & PS4 users.

Smedley said DC Universe Online is the largest revenue generator across PS3 and PS4 combined, even though the game is free to play. With SOE focusing on never-ending online worlds, there’s always a need for new content. Tapping into the creative power of its fans just makes sense.

“The conversations we’re having with the folks at SCEA and SCEE are they get the power of free-to-play,” said Smedley, who noted the free Warframe game is the largest revenue generator for PS4 alone. “There’s evidence now. It’s fair to say that consoles took longer to get to free-to-play simply because the business model has been the same way for quite a while now. But they’re seeing this amazing revenue generator from micro-transactions in free-to-play games. SCEA even created a free-to-play category on their PlayStation Store. We’re seeing them embrace it whole-heartedly.”

http://fortune.com/2014/06/10/open-game-development-sony/

Grinchy

Banned
It's actually quite a good game. I just got a little sour on it because I bought it for $60, then bought a $30 subscription and after spending months with a broken game that crashed all the time, they made it F2P and decided my $90 wasn't good enough to make me a premium user.

Top Bottom