• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead franchises almost nobody but you seems to want back

Blackhead

Redarse
R0mQvfF.jpg

Not only does the franchise seem to be dead but no other developer even bothered to copy the brilliant game play :(

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Like yeah, I get it, The Force Unleashed 2 was rushed, too short and disappointing from both a gameplay and story perspective. But the original was some of the most fun I've had from a Star Wars game. With the correct care and attention, a Force Unleashed reboot could be a stunning game.

Legacy of Kain. Especially in the form of a Soul Reaver 1 deeply immersive metroidvania.
Metroid for that matter.
Jet Set Radio.
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.
Dark Cloud.
Star Tropics.
Power Stone.
Skies of Arcadia.
Mega Man Legends
Demon's Crest / Gargoyle's Quest.

Error 404

Neo Member
Legend of Legaia. I'll even settle for them being on PSN. Please, Sony. The PS1 Legend of Legaia disk freezes at a certain point and makes the game unplayable on the PS3. :'(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tengai Makyou

Maybe if they make a new one, it'll be the first time a game in the series (not counting Kabuki Klash) comes to America.

I was considering saying Tenchu but then so many others...well, there it is. I revisit Fatal Shadows sometimes on PS2, and have had fun with the somewhat different Tenchu Z.

Would like more JGR/JSRF in theory, but as with a lot of old favorites it might be best to leave them on a high note rather than someone mucking it up with the next attempt. Get JSRF on PC perhaps, or I should just get an old Xbox (still have many Xbox games).

600full-tomb-raider-psx-redbook-audio-cover.jpg

And by that I mean tank-ultra-precision-required controls hardcore Tomb Raider. Apparently people wanted Tomb Raider but really meant Uncharted?

Dead Space, I'm sure its been mentioned lots.

Mercenaries could be cool if EA rebooted that.

Manhunt, never played 2.. but the first was great, would love another trip to Carson City.

Silent Hill *sobs*

Alan Wake.. though I don't know if 1 game counts as a franchise.

Enthus

Most of my actual choices have already been said, so I'll offer this:

Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but the CG for Type-Next looked awesome. I'd love a lower-budget, smaller development Final Fantasy series that takes inspiration from various historical periods and gives them the Square Enix twist. Let it be a series where Square can test some of their more crazy ideas.

I'd love a surprise announcement for another one, but I can't see it happening with Square's current slate.

Menitta

Not really a franchise but I seem to be the only one who wants another Pokémon Ranger. Almia and Guardian Signs were tight.

Platy

Pocket Fighter, for more casual party fighters with Capcom characters

Aero the Acrobat for a circus themed parkour like game

Blast Corps for some destruction puzzle

And the number one game that ONLY I WANT A SEQUEL...

Maestro! Jump in Music
Like my YouTube channel is probably the only place on YouTube with direct footage from that DS hidden gem from the creators of Pix The Cat

CamHostage

I don't know that I need a sequel, as I'm not sure how it could be followed up, but I always have Core's Herdy Gerdy somewhere in my heart when people talk about forgotten games and I'd love to see a remastered version of it that polished up the rough edges (if possible, though I'm not sure what framerate the animation is designed for) and present it at its beautiful best. It's not on Steam so I'm not clear what its status is?

404539-herdygerdy_001.jpg

parabolee

It Came From the Desert (Amiga version, others were crap)

Itcame-c.jpg
it_came_from_the_desert_12.png
It_Came_from_the_Desert_1.png
It_Came_from_the_Desert_2.png
265236-it-came-from-the-desert-amiga-screenshot-giant-ants-spotted.png

This fantastic and well ahead of its time interactive B-Movie adventure game came out in 1989 and was essentially a choose your own adventure (including which of the towns lovely ladies you wanted to romance) with brilliant action sections like first person ant shooting, overhead escape from ants or invasion of ant colony (with full ability to explore the town), flying planes and dropping smoke bombs on ants, playing a game of chicken with local hoodlums, getting into a knife fight with same hoodlums, stealth escape from hospital, real time strategy and more! It also had a fantastic soundtrack!

It Came From The Desert Longplay (listen to the glorious sounds!)

Remade today as a Mass Effect style adventure game where interacting with the townspeople between shooting giant ANTS as the core of the gameplay would be fantastic. Add in some Twin Peaks and X-Files style and B-Movie flavor and you have yourself a hell of a game! Remains one of my favorite games of all time and I still go back and play it once a year. Shame it seems forgotten by most people. Possibly mainly due to it being overlooked in the USA at the time of its release.

Starbreeze recently acquired the Cinemaware catalog, so there is still a chance.

Here is a Rock Paper Shotgun Article: Have You Played... It Came From The Desert!?

EDIT: Forgot to mention this classic has been available on PC for some time in the brilliant Cinemaware Classics ANThology ;) - Along with the brilliant WINGS, Defender of the Crown, and Rocket Ranger!

I would also love a new Perfect Dark. Love both the original games and neither get the love they deserve. The original is often overlooked for the vastly inferior Goldeneye and Perfect Dark Zero was hated for reasons I could not grasp. Played 100's of hours of PDZ and it remains one my favorite FPS of all time.

CamHostage

It Came From the Desert (Amiga version, others were crap)

Itcame-c.jpg

Remade today as a Mass Effect style adventure game where interacting with the townspeople between shooting giant ANTS as the core of the gameplay would be fantastic. Add in some Twin Peaks and X-Files style and B-Movie flavor and you have yourself a hell of a game! Remains one of my favorite games of all time and I still go back and play it once a year. Shame it seems forgotten by most people. Possibly mainly due to it being overlooked in the USA at the time of its release.

It has seemed weird to me that, now that we have powerful platforms capable of rendering landscapes of spaces and populate them with as many characters as we see fit, we don't seem to be using that technology to re-create our own world. There are lots of '50s-ish *It Came From Beyond* concepts to explore that would be fun as disaster-movie games with big creatures and lots of fleeing townsfolk, but we're getting no games like that; back when we had limitations, we'd get those ideas once in a while and it'd be fun to see our real world in a fun new way.

(*Yes, EDF is kind of that, but it's really just cityscapes and critters, no complications of crowds. City Shrouded in Shadow is finally taking that idea up again, kudos Granzella!)

Speaking of bugs, the game was pretty simple but SimAnt was a neat idea back in the day that I wouldn't mind as like a new mobile game.
simant-the-electronic-ant-colony_8.gif

Top Bottom