• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island GOTY Edition is a thing (26/06 NA, 06/07 EU)

Pollux

Good thing I held off from buying Dead Island when it came out. I might pick up the GOTY edition when it enters a Steam sale. I would love to play it with some Gaffers when that time finally comes.

hit me up when you get it, and we'll play some. *fist bump*

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Borderlands won a few i think (if it didn't it was most certainly nominated). And I think its well established now that GOTY doesn't necessarily mean the best game of the year, but rather a more marketable way of saying "Our game is even better, buy it with all released content!" edition.
Nope. I remember checking when the Borderlands GOTY edition was announced. It never won a GOTY award anywhere and I don't particularly remember any nominations.

But you're completely right about it just being a more marketable term. Nowadays GOTY editions are just analoguous to the DVD/blu-rays of movies that come out with added features.

Wildesy

Just out of curiosity, was Fallout New Vegas actually voted GOTY by any publication? I assumed awhile ago that it had just become a more catchier way to title a bundle.

Just out of curiosity, was Fallout New Vegas actually voted GOTY by any publication? I assumed awhile ago that it had just become a more catchier way to title a bundle.

It's actually called the "Ultimate Edition", at least in the US, not the GOTY Edition, so it doesn't really matter.

I always thought a GOTY edition was the last milking method for a game, at least for companies. Never believed the game actually had to be voted as a game of the year for such an edition.

Koroviev

I always thought a GOTY edition was the last milking method for a game, at least for companies. Never believed the game actually had to be voted as a game of the year for such an edition.

Most AAA games receive at least one GOTY endorsement. It's easy marketing.

Nope. I remember checking when the Borderlands GOTY edition was announced. It never won a GOTY award anywhere and I don't particularly remember any nominations.

But you're completely right about it just being a more marketable term. Nowadays GOTY editions are just analoguous to the DVD/blu-rays of movies that come out with added features.

Game informer awarded it as Best Co-op Game of 09 (which IS a game of the year award, granted not THE) and IGN Nominated it for overall Game of the Year :p

Sure there were others too :p

Top Bottom