• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 cost $60 million to make, sold 4 million copies, underperformed

Wiped89

I'd be shocked if it didn't make a profit, its this lofty milestone of "expectations" that seems to be the problem (I assume a managerial ratio of Profit made compared to resources used and duration)

if all copies sold at full retail we are talking $240 million
If we take a conservative view they averaged out at $30 a piece due to sales that's still $120million
To only make close to $60million we are talking an average retail price per unit of $15 and I'd be shocked if it averaged out anywhere near to that

The only way it makes sense is if we assume around $60million profit (assume the average $30 price $120mill made) was made that over two/three years work was not seen as enough when they compared it to Mobile games profits

Nope. EA made at most $20 to $25 per copy after the retailer cut, packaging, shipping and royalty fee.

That makes about 80 million but then you need to take into account the cost of marketing which by all accounts was another 60 million.

RossoneR

Banned
Nope. EA made at most $20 to $25 per copy after the retailer cut, packaging, shipping and royalty fee.

That makes about 80 million but then you need to take into account the cost of marketing which by all accounts was another 60 million.

Retailer gets about $10, royalty fee is about $7, manufactoring and packaging about $2 IIRC plus marketing. But yea, around $30 i see going to publisher and studio. Problem for DS is that most of it sales came after price cuts.

Freeman76

The music industry survives the times by reducing the cost of online purchases and also reducing the number of physical copies appropriately.

I used to pay 15 quid for a cd in my teens, a physical thing I could hold. Now I pay 7.99 for a digital version of the same thing. Gaming seems to be going the other way if anything.

Top Bottom