• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

basicsmsdh7.png

Title | Dead Space 3
Platforms | PS3, Xbox 360, PC
Genre | Third Person Horror-Action Shooter
Developer | Visceral Games
Publisher | EA

Release Dates | North America February 5| Europe February 8

Ratings | PEGI: 18+ | ESRB: M (Mature)

Looking for a co-op partner? Special thanks to luxarific, Google Spreadsheet is up for linking up with other players: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvVTeLshUYP1dDhhREx1NGZyb0ZuYS1kTFJUb2piRUE

Finished the game? Discuss the story in the Spoiler Thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511905

unlikelyallies8sj3d.jpg

editionsbgkfs.png

Standard Edition

rsz_318206_1015087717wpstx.jpg
rsz_543227_1015087717bts3d.jpg
rsz_575331_10150877170dsd3.jpg

Dev Team Edition

devteam-610x364gbuhm.jpg

8" Black Marker Statue: The Black Marker is an alien artifact found on Earth in 2214. This Marker is a custom molded and painted polyresin statue, and everyone's fingers are crossed that it doesn't end up driving people insane.

Aluminum Data Pad: Before there were holograms, there were layered plates of projected data on glass. This flipbooks recalls the nostalgia of the 200-year old technologies from the Sovereign

Colonies era, showcasing an array of fascinating characters, ships, Necromorphs, and aliens from Dead Space 3. This Data Pad is a 10" by 7" hinged aluminum flip book that features 9 sets of pages made up of framed PET sheets and printed cardstock backing pages.

Med Pack Water Bottle: The Med Pack is a single-dose standard issue healing agent commonly used in the highly dangerous, isolated work environments of outer space. Custom molded 14-oz water bottle with a flip spout lid.

Bound SCAF Jotter: Doctor Earl Serrano, the head of Marker research on Tau Volantis, kept a careful journal of his findings under the watchful eye of the Sovereign Colonies military arm as he uncovered the shocking first-ever archeological contact with true aliens. The Bound SCAF Jotter with Dr. Serrano's notes has 20 pages of Dead Space lore and some blank pages for your own discoveries.

SCAF Posters: Nostalgic posters for an era long gone, the SCAF represents the government prior to EarthGov 200 years ago, when space travel was done without Shockpoint drives, and was only for the bold and the courageous-and the military. Set of three 12" by 5" vintage-feeling posters printed on 80-pound paper.

Peng Postcards: Peng as a phenomena stretches back over 200 years, as evidenced by these Sovereign Colonies-era postcards! No one knows who started Peng, or what its origins are. It had morphed into a pseudo-sexual morale booster for the troops even back then. The pack comes with 6 vintage post cards.

96 Page Mini Art Book: A beautiful collection of the most haunting and visually-stunning concept art used in the production of Dead Space 3, produced exclusively for the Dev Team Edition. Book measures 4.75" by 6.5".

DLC: Receive DLC codes for the First Contact Bundle and the Witness the Truth bundle. The First Contact bundle includes the First Contact Suit and Negotiator weapon for precise dismemberment. The Witness the Truth Bundle includes the Witness the Truth suit and tactical Evangelizer weapon.

They made 5000 copies of the Dev Team Edition, and I think they may be all sold out. $100 just for the gear, $160 with the game. It cost 50 bucks to ship it to me, so I couldn't get it, GODDAMN IT, EA.

Limited Edition: All pre-orders get the Dead Space 3 Limited Edition which includes two new suits and two new weapons. Please see this video to get an idea of what's in it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AmxRyk4yMoc

First contact suit: this Unique Extra-Vehicular Activity suit sports a flamboyant golden finish to provide protection from long term space exposure and thick armor. Negotiator Weapon: the gold-plated Negotiator sports an overclocked, top-mounted Tesla Beam capable of bursting a man-sized organism into several pieces. Witness Suit - these insulated suits were worn by an SCAF deep dig team assigned to exhume the darkest secrets of Tau Volantis. Evangelizer Weapon: this modification of the standard AL-2 sports a AL-2g assault rifle on the top with an Emerson 2100 "Big Boy."

Pre-ordering from Amazon gets you the Tesla Ennervator, pre-ordering from Gamestop gets you the EG-900 SMG.

For what it's worth, I'd pre-order from Amazon if you can. You get a $20 credit for the game plus any weapon that's called the Tesla Ennervator must rock.

Finally, if you have a Mass Effect 3 save file, you can unlock the N7 Armour as seen below. Click the image to see a video of it in action:

before235ko5.png

Watching this video might be beneficial if you want to catch up on the story (whether you need a refresher or haven't played the previous games:The Story So Far

Following the events of the Ishimura, where Isaac's girlfriend, Nicole, was killed and his mind was broken by the Marker, Isaac was captured and experimented on by EarthGov for three years. His escape was engineered by Unitologists, a cult devoted to the Markers during a massive assault on the Sprawl by the Necromorphs. However, they showed their true colours, but once again, Isaac escaped. Fighting his way through the hordes of Necromorphs and his own delusions and hallucinations of Nicole, Isaac managed to make it to the Government sector, where he confronted the Marker that had been constructed from the information left behind in his head. He managed to destroy it, but the Sprawl was annihilated via a self-destruct order. However, Isaac managed to escape with Ellie Langford, another survivor, and so the story continues...

4204691lsdb55jxf.jpg

story0qu1f.png

Everything has been leading up to this. The source of the Necromorph scourge that has haunted Isaac for years. But before he can find out the truth, he has to cope with another Necromorph attack, a long-lost graveyard of ships, fanatically murderous cult members, and a frozen, desolate planet home to who knows what kind of terror.

dead-space-3-ps3g6ku7.jpg

featuresp6kzt.png

Single Player Campaign

From a derelict flotilla of dead ships to the isolated frozen wasteland of Tau Volantis, journey with Isaac once again into madness and death as Isaac is drawn back into the conflict between the Markers, Necromorphs, Unitologists and God knows who else wants to kill him. Visceral has assured everyone that Single Player is classic Dead Space through and through. Dead Space 3 has expanded with optional side-missions, deeper weapon customization, and a larger variety of locations than previously.

ds3_space3tsuke.jpg

Co-Op

Dead Space 3 has full drop-in drop-out co-op (though it isn't the first DS title to have co-op, Extraction was). If you and a friend choose to play co-op, the story, dialogue, and difficulty changes to accommodate a second player who plays as Sergeant John Carver. I will stress this cause it needs to be said, but if you're playing Single Player, Carver isn't there at all the story changes to accommodate that. Co-op is online only. A big part of co-op is Asymmetrical Dementia. Carver isn't as experienced with the Marker as Isaac is, so he'll suffer from hallucinations and delusions... without Isaac/the other player realizing what's happening.

314917_sn9scj.jpg

Weapons Crafting

Yeah, so Isaac's an engineer. Kind of makes sense that he can literally just build bigger and badder weapons and tools with the right resources. You can utilize scavenger bots to hunt for parts, resources, and blueprints in the environment to build your own custom weapons. The system is very deep, allowing for thousands of different combinations and allowing you to alter the stats and functionality of the primary and secondary weapons. If you don't want to tinker with the weapon crafting system, you can find blueprints that will generate standard weapons for you. You can also purchase resources online via microtransactions if you're lazy or simply find it all in the game. Check the Videos section for a link to the Weapons Crafting video to get an idea. You can also share your custom weapons with your friends! Somehow.

36991575hudo.jpg

screenscopy24ump.png

ds3_hostileindoor4ofss5.jpg

videocopy1fuwy.png

Announcement Trailer
20 Min. Tau Volantis Co-Op Demo
Gamescom Trailer
Weapons Crafting
17 Min. Eudora Single Player Demo
Tools of Terror Contest Winner
Two Ways to Play Trailer
The Story So Far
Better with Kinect LOL
Goddammit Visceral, I wanted to buy the Dev Team Edition, but not if it costs 50 bucks just for shipping
Story Sneak Peak
Launch Trailer
Story Trailer

ds3_horrorffk28.jpg

reviewscopy6suh8.png

To be updated as they come in.

---

Interested in the Dead Space universe? Here is a list of the comics, novels, games, and films that the fiction is so far comprised of:

In order of timeline:

Dead Space: Martyr (Novel) - Goes into the origins of Unitology and the Black Marker.
Dead Space: Catalyst (Novel)
Dead Space: Extraction (Game) - The fate of the original Aegis VII colony, prequel to the first game. On-rails shooter.
Dead Space (Comics/Animated Comics) - Prequel to the first game, events happen at the same time as Extraction.
Dead Space: Downfall (Animated Film) - Immediate prequel to Dead Space, events that occurred on the Ishimura before Isaac's arrival.
Dead Space (Game)
Dead Space: Salvage (Stand-alone Graphic Novel) - Deals with the immediate aftermath of Isaac's journey and the fate of the Ishimura.
Dead Space Aftermath (Animated Film/Released on January 25) - Deals with the aftermath of the Ishimura's retrieval and what's left of Aegis VII.
Dead Space: Ignition (Mini-games/Animated Comics) - Choose your adventure style game composed of comic panels and different mini-games. Immediate prequel to Dead Space 2.
Dead Space (iOS) - Prequel to Dead Space 2.
Dead Space 2
Dead Space: Liberation (Stand-alone Graphic Novel) - Takes place after Dead Space 2 and deals with the backstory of John Carver and how he met up with Ellie Langford.
Dead Space 3

rsz_fcb736e81484c678fh8k5q.jpg

DocSeuss

Beware. If you play with madness, the madness gonna play back with you.

The Toy Soldiers pic sealed it. I am buying this game.

Replicant

Good job, OP! This is kind of relevant so maybe I can ask this here:

Does anyone has a US PS3 Mass Effect 3 save file? I don't care if it's just at the start of the game. I just want it so I can get the N7 armor. I just need the save data (which can be copied) not the profile data (which can't be copied).

Finally, if you have a Mass Effect 3 save file, you can unlock the N7 Armour as seen below. Click the image to see a video of it in action:

Why do I need it?

Well, I pre-ordered my Dead Space 3 from Amazon US, that means it'll only be compatible with US save of Mass Effect 3. Unforch, my Mass Effect 2-3 save files are from the Australian version.

3snrfkdyuem.jpg

Good job, OP! This is kind of relevant so maybe I can ask this here:

Does anyone has a US PS3 Mass Effect 3 save file? I don't care if it's just at the start of the game. I just want it so I can get the N7 armor. I just need the save data (which can be copied) not the profile data (which can't be copied).

Why do I need it?

Well, I pre-ordered my Dead Space 3 from Amazon US, that means it'll only be compatible with US save of Mass Effect 3. Unforch, my Mass Effect 2-3 save files are from the Australian version.

Well, I'm in Canada, so I suppose I have it. I have no idea how I'd send it to you though, so you'd have to tell me. I do have a save. Didn't progress very far, but hell, I deserve that N7 Suit.

dreamfall

I always dig your OTs. Very thorough. Game should have a very mixed reaction from fans it seems- I want the first two to go on sale for the PC in anticipation!

antitrop

Loved the first two, still think this one will be good.

Too bad about Origin, though. Despite all the terrible PR leading up to release and the unfortunate location of purchase for the PC version, my expectations have not been tempered.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Great OT, but is there any chance that a link to a Google Spreadsheet of online tags of people who want to play co-op and need a partner could be added? Origin, Live and PSN?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I really want to get excited for this game, loved the first two, but the DS3 demo left a bad impression on me. Perhaps some reviews will convince me.

Vamphuntr

Does the game contains a summary of what happened in Dead Space : Liberation or is that not really important to understand the plot of the game. I played Dead Space 1/2 and the Ignition preorder XBLA for DS2 for reference.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I'm pre-ordering from Amazon for that $20 credit also add me on PSN @ Travaughn if anyone wants to play co-op in the demo or retail game

Can't wait. I'm 99% sure the game is going to be great. It's just a goddamn shame EA have to sully games like this with their shitty business practices.

Does the game contains a summary of what happened in Dead Space : Liberation or is that not really important to understand the plot of the game. I played Dead Space 1/2 and the Ignition preorder XBLA for DS2 for reference.

I don't think Liberation is necessary for Dead Space 3. It'll flesh out the world and Carver's backstory, but if you don't read it, it won't affect you much. I think it's much more of an midquel between DS2 and DS3. But it doesn't come out till the same day as DS3 anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

RoKKeR

Can't wait. I'm 99% sure the game is going to be great. It's just a goddamn shame EA have to sully games like this with their shitty business practices.
Not to mention the shit PR they've been spewing as of late.

I'm on XBL as RoKKeR IV, hit me up if you're interested in co-op some time.

One question I have is if joining somebody's single player game screws up your safe files (or adds a new one) or if it just pulls from the host?

An-Det

Nice OT. The first two games were awesome, and the demo of DS3 was great. I can't wait to dig into this and see where it goes. Shame my friends suck, so I'll probably never play the coop.

Allonym

I don't think Liberation is necessary for Dead Space 3. It'll flesh out the world and Carver's backstory, but if you don't read it, it won't affect you much. I think it's much more of an midquel between DS2 and DS3. But it doesn't come out till the same day as DS3 anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

I could've googled it in the time it takes to write this but is it a animated film or a novel or a comic series?

Allonym

Also will you be adding a username list to the OT? Think that'd be cool for all of us looking for people to play with on the various platforms

CREMSteve

Enjoyed the demo, tried it last night.

Not a fan of enemies that shoot back, they're more annoying than anything, but thankfully they don't seem to play a large role. I could be wrong though, and if they do, that sucks.

First RE added enemies that shoot guns, now DS. Why must devs do this?!

RPG

Had this tentatively preordered but then realized after playing the demo how much I enjoy the Dead Space franchise and the nice combination of dreadfully still sections and action set pieces it throws at you. Looking forward to seeing some new necromorph types and hoping for some cool bosses.

Zocano

I'm probably going to rent this like I did Dead Space 2 and depending on my enjoyment I'll buy it or not (like I did for Dead Space 2). What's the online pass restriction for this game? Co-op? If it's just some janky multiplayer mode I'm fine with that but I'd like to try out the co-op.

Replicant

Speaking of extra goodies, do I get anything for Platinum-ing DS2? Some super awesome rocket launcher maybe? Come on, I went through HELL for that.

bPod

Day 1

Enjoyed the first one even though he barely uttered a sentence
Loved the second one - playing it again
Cannot wait to play this - skeptical about the co-op though

Czigga

Great OT! I know lots of people have been shitting on the game but I'm hyped. Although I purposefully didn't play the demo... we'll see if it bites me in the ass.

Anyone know if I have ME3 on 360 if I can get the N7 suit for DS3 on PC? Feel like maybe through Origin or something EA should know I got it.

Top Bottom