• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Review Thread [Up: Embargo Up]

I often trust edge, so the 7 is cause for concern and reading the review doesn't allay those concerns, but I remain hopeful I will enjoy it, if only for the story and to see what hi-jinks Isaac gets up to.

theDeeDubs

Really curious how I'm going to like this one. I loved 1 but wasn't crazy about 2 for some reason that I never could quite put my finger on; I'm not one that immediately thinks sequels are worse and actually prefer the move away from a silent protagonist too. I am really looking forward to the setting in 3 though. I also think the weapon crafting will be pretty cool once I get used to it.

Gigglepoo

Well like I said, I'm just trying to figure it out. It perplexes me how often I have seen what seems to be a reversal of enthusiast press vs. audience in other mediums. As I have said elsewhere, in films, music, etc. we constantly find critics attempting to challenge their audience to demand more of their entertainment, not to settle for the latest blockbuster or paint by numbers sequel. It is the audience who say things about critics like "they read too much into it" or that they are "too critical."

I understand exactly where you're coming from and agree with your position. "Fun" is often see as the holy grail for games, so games that capture that intimidate sense of fulfillment seem to be overly praised, especially when combined with high production values. Not to promote myself (too late!), but I interviewed Jon Blow last week and we talked about this disconnect, and the media's role of promoting worthwhile games that go beyond simple fun.

There are all types of critics and gamers and there's no harm in praising something as a piece of entertainment. But I do think games can be more than that.

Interview link, if you're curious. Sadly, I don't know exactly where we talk about that issue. Probably around 20 minutes in, when we shift gears away from The Witness.

diamount

Banned
I have a problem when someone pretends to be a legitimate media outlet when they score based on how anticipated something is at Gamestop...their overlords.

Doesn't matter. They aren't forcing you to buy the game, if you're concerned the review has inflated the game's quality somewhat then play the demo.-

Mononoke

Banned
You have a problem with opinions?

I think people should stop looking at reviews as some kind of score/game. You should be utilizing reviews as a tool. Read all the reviews you can (you know..the words actually matter) and see what the common narrative is (if there is one). Then gauge the overall response, and compare it to yourself, your own tastes. Your own preferences etc. and see if it's a game that you might like, or if it's something you want to pay for.

That's how reviews should be used. I don't know why anyone expects to 100% agree with every critic. It's really bizarre. I can't tell you how many times I see people rage out, because a reviewer has the audacity to have their own opinion. Da fuck.

Lime

Polygon is quickly becoming the new Game Informer

In terms of reviews I completely agree. But to be fair, they have had some interesting stories on developer stories that I wouldn't dismiss as better than the usual tripe seen in gaming journalism.

I think people should stop looking at reviews as some kind of score/game. You should be utilizing reviews as a tool. Read all the reviews you can (you know..the words actually matter) and see what the common narrative is (if there is one). Then gauge the overall response, and compare it to yourself, your own tastes. Your own preferences etc. and see if it's a game that you might like, or if it's something you want to pay for.

That's how reviews should be used. I don't know why anyone expects to 100% agree with every critic. It's really bizarre. I can't tell you how many times I see people rage out, because a reviewer has the audacity to have their own opinion. Da fuck.

The problem is that in an average game review as a text, there is a strong tendency to use hyperbolic language and/or use a lot of superlatives in order to describe their experiences with the game in question. Unfortunately there is a lack of critical engagement with the game design, its system, how the semiotic 'layer' compliments the mechanics (and vice versa), how the narrative is executed, how well-conveyed the themes are in accordance with the genre, and so on. As such, I don't think scores are the primary problem with the current state of game reviews, but rather the primitive analysis of the games.

More often than not, reading a review of a game can be somewhat irritating or feel like a waste of time, as they mostly treat the game in a superficial manner without any coherent and consistent analytical tools and concepts.

Mononoke

Banned
The problem is that in an average game review as a text, there is a strong tendency to use hyperbolic language and/or use a lot of superlatives in order to describe their experiences with the game in question. Unfortunately there is often a lack of critical engagement with the game design, its system, how the semiotic 'layer' compliments the mechanics (and vice versa), how the narrative is executed, how well-conveyed the themes are in accordance with the genre, and so on.

More often than not, reading a review of a game can be somewhat irritating or feel like a waste of time, as they mostly treat the game in a superficial manner without any coherent and consistent analytical tools and concepts.

That's an issue with the quality of critics out there then - no?

EDIT: I'm not disagreeing with you. I guess my stance is - I think people react to/use reviews the wrong way. But I also agree, that we are lacking good writers/critical analysis in this industry.

nbthedude

I understand exactly where you're coming from and agree with your position. "Fun" is often see as the holy grail for games, so games that capture that intimidate sense of fulfillment seem to be overly praised, especially when combined with high production values. Not to promote myself (too late!), but I interviewed Jon Blow last week and we talked about this disconnect, and the media's role of promoting worthwhile games that go beyond simple fun.

There are all types of critics and gamers and there's no harm in praising something as a piece of entertainment. But I do think games can be more than that.

Interview link, if you're curious. Sadly, I don't know exactly where we talk about that issue. Probably around 20 minutes in, when we shift gears away from The Witness.

Always interested in hearing more from Blow. Thanks for the link.

Sanctuary

This is why god created Gamefly and then later Redbox. You don't really need to worry about scores sitting around the 7 mark, when you can simply spend $2 to make up your own mind. From the average score from the more respected (or simply trafficked) sites, it seems like the third is behind the first two, but not so far that if you were already a fan of the franchise that you wouldn't like it.

I also completely agree that review scores themselves aren't really what matters at all. It's the actual meat of the review itself, or lack thereof that you should bother paying attention to.

nbthedude

This is why god created Gamefly and then later Redbox. You don't really need to worry about scores sitting around the 7 mark, when you can simply spend $2 to make up your own mind. From the average score from the more respected (or simply trafficked) sites, it seems like the third is behind the first two, but not so far that if you were already a fan of the franchise that you wouldn't like it.

Or in my case, wait for the >$7 Steam sale.

But unfortunately Origin prevents this from being a reality in this case. Oh well, their loss.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If even Brad can't muster up some enthusiasm about this game... no thank you.

I trust Brad. (For the most part *cough Diablo 3*)

So that's disappointing...

The review reads just like I expected. Shout outs to the "coop is 100% optional, stop mentioning it crowd".

But anyway it still looks like a decent enough action game. I'm sure I'll pick it up at some stage and enjoy it for what it is.

What is with this gen and underwhelming third entries in franchises.

Only natural, you either stick to the same old and it gets boring, or you change it up too much and ruin it.

I'm still happy to have run of the mill third games following great ones. At least that means there are still great games.

Lime

Bennet Foddy (developer, see QWOP, http://foddy.net/) just had a very telling conversation with the reviews editor at Polygon

https://twitter.com/bfod/status/298860062213033984

Wow. Why is he giving assessment of games if he does not care for any emotional value? Why does Arthur Gies fail to point out that very few games offer any sort of emotional engagement? Even the often-mentioned, but useless and dilluted term "fun" is an emotional reaction.

I apologize if I am being rude, but maybe he is just a bit simple-minded when it comes to applying any reflections or critical engagement with the games he is supposed to evaluate.

nbthedude

Bennet Foddy (developer, see QWOP, http://foddy.net/) just had a very telling conversation with the reviews editor at Polygon

Bennett is right:

"“But the new crafting system and bigger, more open level structure join co-op to make Dead Space 3 one of the best action games in years.”

"Join to make" implies causality. I don't know what is wrong with Gies ability to comprehend his own writing. That sentence clearly implies that "bigger levels," "co-op" and a "new crafting system" = best action game in years.

When Bennet writes:

if we reviewed movies this way: “Rambo 3 features new explosion effects and is shot on 35mm film, making it the best action movie in years”

he nails a pretty big problem with that approach.

However the conversation about whether or not games are simply entertainment (on which I definitely side with Bennet) is a bit of a tangent. Whether or not you are viewing games as "a tool to generate fun" that kind of mechanistic approach still makes no sense. Dead Space has a a new crafting system and bigger levels therefore it is fun is a stupid claim.

JDSN

Banned

Maybe im getting this wrong, but that is a really weird way to review games, I dont understand how fun can be removed from his spectrum of emotional response, what he seems doing is essentially praising functional mechanics and adecuate concepts, which is more suited to reviewing home appliances. From his Rebel.Fm comments it seemed he understood the game and liked some of the new things it was doing, but to go from that to a 9.5 score while expressing that he game generated no response from him is really jarring.

Arthur Gies
@aegies
@bfod as an artist, i'm more interested in what other people think. i'm not married to my own thematic premises.
Ok.

nbthedude

Maybe im getting this wrong, but that is a really weird way to review games, I dont understand how fun can be removed from his spectrum of emotional response, what he seems doing is essentially praising functional mechanics and adecuate concepts, which is more suited to reviewing home appliances.

My biggest problem with just blanketly saying x+y+z= game is good or x+y+z=game is fun is that it gives me no insight into the player/critic or the game. "Fun" is not some universal objective quality. Telling me the kind of thoughts that go through your head while playing, telling me what you the game means to you or what you think the designers are trying to say/do, the kinds of problems they are addressing and your thoughts on their approach gives me more of an inside.

If a movie reviewer told me I should go see a movie because it was "fun" or x+y+z = the movie is fun, I would say that movie review was pretty useless to me.

nbthedude

Also what the hell?

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies
@bfod if i was talking about how games make me feel, the most common response would be: nothing. or: this is gross.

This game makes me feel nothing. This is gross.

9.5?

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies
@bfod @JustinMcElroy if you don't think our reviews are more nuanced or thoughtful than 90 percent of what's out there, you don't read much.

I hoped at some point these guys had learned their lesson about being self-promoting braggadocios. Yuck.

Lime

Don't worry, people still appreciate the effort and time spent on creating such a complex and high-budget project with plenty of coordination and hundreds of people invovled. In a pure technical sense, the game is a very commendable and admirable achievement, so in that sense you can at least be proud of that. :)

This game is terrific so far IMO.

-insanely good art direction
-fantastic attention to detail that makes the environments breathe
-good facial animations and character expressions
-excellent sound design, ambiance, and score
-controls and gameplay in general is smooth as butter
-super atmospheric

I can't comment on the horror aspects just yet but it started off well enough in that regard. But so far I like it plenty. So far it feels like a labor of love.

It's also giving me unexpected Blade Runner vibes; it has that dirty, grungy sci-fi aesthetic that I love.

They aren't too far off, it's loot city
May as well have done the torchlight thing of allowing your bot to sell extra materials for new items

"Survival horror" they call it. Ha.

That being said, I never considered Dead Space to be survival horror, and I loved the original for what it was. Never got around to 2 though.

codecow

Sorry man.... I just meant that it was pretty objective.
:(

I'm still picking it up this weekend.

I am a huge metal fan so when they compare 1982 Metallica to 2007 I find that as game over for reviews, they won. I don't even know what 2007 Metallica is because I was so destroyed by the black album I took a vow of life-long hatred after that point.

I hope you like the game!

Vire

I am a huge metal fan so when they compare 1982 Metallica to 2007 I find that as game over for reviews, they won. I don't even know what 2007 Metallica is because I was so destroyed by the black album I took a vow of life-long hatred after that point.

Know this, Dead Space 1 and 2 remain some of my favorite games of this generation!

I just wish you guys kept the same direction of what made those first two games so great....

The over-complication of the the hud, human fighting, co-op , introduction of actual weapons instead of mining tools. All just seem counter to what made Dead Space so great in the first place.

I will definitely TRY to go into 3 with an open mind, but it's going to be tough. I say this with the upmost respect to Visceral Games and I know whatever new IP you guys put out next will be dynamite.

Duxxy3

I quite liked Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3 and God of War 3.

But that's just me maybe.

I hear yah from the AC3/ME3 boat though.

The only one of those that improved on its predecessor was gears of war 3. The rest i would say are worse than the second game in their series.

Vire

The only one of those that improved on its predecessor was gears of war 3. The rest i would say are worse than the second game in their series.

Gears 3 definitely improved the game on all fronts. Horde was just flat out better, as was the campaign. I think they really hit out of the park and the series really can't get much better on this current generation of hardware. (That's why I don't have much interest in Judgement)

For God of War, I dunno I legitimately liked God of War 3 more than 2. Sure it had the rubiks cube nonsense, but the scope and scale is unmatched. You go from fighting one legendary God boss fight to the next. The opening scene with Poseidon, going to the Underworld, seeing Hephaestus and Hades, fighting Cronos and the ending environments was all appropriately epic.

As for Uncharted 3, I liked it about the same as 2. (Which was an admirable feat in itself) .It just offered more of a splendid adventure that went deeper into the history of the characters and the relationship between Sully/Drake. Sure it didn't rock the boat, but I had a damn good time!

Mass Effect 3 and Assassins's Creed 3 are legitimate steps backwards in my mind.

But that's neither here nor there, this thread is about Dead Space...

LifEndz

Hope they patch it and allow you to upgrade your scout robots without having to buy the dlc. And they guys in the bombcast were 100% right about this shouldn't be a thing if you pay 60 bucks for this game. It just feels gross to have paid full price and then get home and have trying to milk you for a couple of more bucks.

I'll def buy it, but only once it drops in price.

TUROK

Lol, funny parallel. Metallica changes their sound in the Black Album, people accuse them of selling out. Visceral adds co-op, human enemies, universal ammo, a cover system, and more action elements to the game, and people accuse you guys of selling out.

Amusing stuff. I loved the Black Album, though, and I'm loving Dead Space 3 so far. People shouldn't fear change so much, you included.

spekkeh

Banned
Yep that discussion between Gies and Bennett makes it pretty obvious what the problem with games reviewing is, and always has been. Rating it as some kind of hardware appliance (hence the name review of course). At the end of the PS1 era game review sites were getting in a pickle because every game started to score a 9.9. It had more options and better graphics than the previous one, therefore it must be better. They got out a couple of times by the console cycle restarting, but it's painful to see that there are still reviewers out there that lack the necessary introspection.

Lime

Lol, funny parallel. Metallica changes their sound in the Black Album, people accuse them of selling out. Visceral adds co-op, human enemies, universal ammo, a cover system, and more action elements to the game, and people accuse you guys of selling out.

Amusing stuff. I loved the Black Album, though, and I'm loving Dead Space 3 so far. People shouldn't fear change so much, you included.

Yet, the Black album pales in comparison to influential masterpieces like Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning.

Yet, the Black album pales in comparison to influential masterpieces like Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning.
Hey man, it's basically the same dudes playing the same instruments. Pretty much exactly the same thing really when you think about it. But, like, haters gonna hate and stuff. Besides, Metallica was never really "metal" to begin with, that's just fanboy nostalgia talking.

Wanny

Don't worry codecow we are still enjoying Dead Space 3 for what it is. I'm aware of all the efforts and passion put into the game. It's what it is that I'm not exactly fond of compared to the first 2 games, but I still like it. You guys still made one of the best series I truly enjoyed this gen!

Top Bottom