• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space, Gotham Knights, Midnight Suns, Hogwarts Legacy, Skull & Bones & The Callisto Protocol will cost $60 (PC) and $70 (PS5/XBox Series)

Haggard

Banned
Yeah, not to say you are wrong boys/girls/people, but purely from a math perspective:

Difference in buying Day 1 console vs. PC: 10$ / 10€ (assuming you buy at MSRP + physical console version you can resell, all the PC games are 100% digital storefront locked, so no resell)
Cost of a PS5: 550
Cost of good gaming desktop PC (let's be conservative): 1000 (probably higher)

Difference: 450 = break-even at 45 games bought Day 1

Yes, I don't add all the PS+, GPU, etc. but for many people it is not as clear cut as you think it is + streamlined experience on consoles.
very strange math.....

You get all the games from all consoles (even Nintendo if you emulate).
You get all the games from all consoles in their best possible version (if the developers know what they`re doing at least).
60+€ games? Keysellers, Store Sales, Gamepass....
Free choice of input hardware.
Free online, usually free cloudsaves etc, too.
Modding.
Your PC can do so much more than just play games..... You´ll probably have to get one for productivity reasons one way or the other.
All that extra value seems to be worth nothing, I guess........

I´d up that 1k price tag to 1500$ currently, but the value proposition PCs have is still insanely good if you`re not literally just someone who wants nothing but to press a button and start up Fifa....

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
You have to be dumb to not go PC this gen. Win on absolutely all fronts.
I'm sick of demeaning shit like this, no-one is "dumb" for choosing one or the other, they have their own pros and cons respectively and at the end of the day it comes down to what you enjoy more, and that's where the conversation should end.

I personally like to separate my working from my gaming as the majority of my work in music production and online financing is done on my laptop/mac so unless I'm playing an old PC game or Football Manager I like to play my XSX/Switch/PS5/Wii on a TV on my sofa where I can just turn off from it all and have a fun few hours.

DragonNCM

GL with that price...........
Will wait for sale after 5 months for 40$ or 30$.
Their so-called AAA games are worth that price, not a cent more.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Gcr7kMV.png
S7Id2xB.png

🤔

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No reason not to be on pc these days. Get gud boyos
I know you are baiting but !!! Some of my no reasons!
-Price
-Bugs
-Cheaters
-Windows
-Cheaters
-Bugs
-Price
-17 launchers
-Technical difficulties
-Late game launches
-Dualsense don't dualsense wireless!
-annoying things that distract you from gaming!
+pcgamingwiki saves the day most of time,
+EDF 5 is 4k60.

OK I am only half joking and mostly all that is true. Pc gaming is distracting and buggy and there is always some small incompatibility and annoyance.
I just like owning a console not because it's cheap but because I own games on disc and I can more/less just play them with cool features, 3d audio and so on.
IMO, PS5+PC/Steam deck is still a good combo. Bloodborne is still ps4 exclusive!

edit: in short - of course pc is the best if patience and money are no concern... and you are happy to wait for games. And you are happy to pay 1500$ more for 5% better graphics. maybe

Last edited:

Pelta88

I get the sneaking suspicion that we're going to have a price thread for every AAA game launch. I need Gotham Knights and Hogwarts day 1.

And I understand that gaming is not a free hobby.

Cyberpunkd

Thanks for enlightening us unwashed masses, oh wise gamer mathematician. Have you ever considered the possibility of there being a million different ways of crunching the numbers, many of which still come out in favor of going the PC route?
No need to be edgy, I said clearly in the beginning "not that I disagree with you". You do not need to reply to everything you read on the Internet, you know that?
I mean by not counting PS+ you are already missing some big future Sony games like the next Naughty Dog's one, so you will not be able to get the full PS5 experience.

But more important than that, the catalogue difference between PS5 (or any other console) and a PC is... huge
If the catalogue matters to you then you are a power user, so nothing what I mentioned matters.
very strange math.....

You get all the games from all consoles (even Nintendo if you emulate).
You get all the games from all consoles in their best possible version (if the developers know what they`re doing at least).
60+€ games? Keysellers, Store Sales, Gamepass....
Free choice of input hardware.
Free online, usually free cloudsaves etc, too.
Modding.
Your PC can do so much more than just play games..... You´ll probably have to get one for productivity reasons one way or the other.
All that extra value seems to be worth nothing, I guess........

I´d up that 1k price tag to 1500$ currently, but the value proposition PCs have is still insanely good if you`re not literally just someone who wants nothing but to press a button and start up Fifa....
I agree with everything you said, but for a lot of people (basically those that buy consoles only, and do not have a gaming PC) the convenience factor trumps all. I got Steam Deck last week and it reminded me of all the great things you can do on a PC (since the Deck is one).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
> Spends 2000$ on gaming PC
> Save 10$ on day 1 games
> Pump chest towards console pleebs
>
girlfriend love GIF
All those 70$ consoles games!!! ... and I've not paid 70 for a single one.
Even tlou part1 disc edition costs 62$ here on release day. Ratchet about 60 too.
It is possible to find disc games with some discounts no problem on release as opposed to digital

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I can't recall the last time I paid 60 dollars for a day one game on pc. Nine times out of ten you can find them for cheaper.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm sick of demeaning shit like this, no-one is "dumb" for choosing one or the other, they have their own pros and cons respectively and at the end of the day it comes down to what you enjoy more, and that's where the conversation should end.

I personally like to separate my working from my gaming as the majority of my work in music production and online financing is done on my laptop/mac so unless I'm playing an old PC game or Football Manager I like to play my XSX/Switch/PS5/Wii on a TV on my sofa where I can just turn off from it all and have a fun few hours.
I agree with you!
nice

Last edited:

GHG

Nah, if I don't think something is worth it at full price then I'm going to need a bigger sale than $10 dollars to purchase it.

That applies for all of the games you listed.

There's nothing surprising here except the Dead Space remake. Is the game that much different from the original that full price needs to be charged? I'm not impressed from what I've seen thus far, aside from the excellent graphical advancements.

Aenima

Physical edition console master race wins over all, or atleast in the UK.
This. Same here in Portugal. For ppl that want to play on console and save money, just buy Physical. Its still crazy that digital games here are much expensive than the physical ones. When it should be the other way around.

I cant complain cuz i prefer to spend money on physical games that i can sell later if i want/need too.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Any particular reasons for this? As far as im aware steam takes a 20-30% cut just like consoles.

So whats the justification? Im guessing none.
Primarily to make more money I guess... but I've also heard for years now, that publishers don't want to upset and undercut retailers (this may become less important as digital will become the primary revenue source even for day 1 purchases)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I love being a pc player.

Key sited will offer these even cheaper too.

Rejoice! Tears of joy into our thermo nuclear 4090 machines.

legacy24

buying games at launch isn't even worth it, I would rather wait for all the bug fixes and the lower prices, the last game I bought full price was RDR2 and the only reason was it was a Rockstar title.

Larxia

It's always been like this here in Europe, a price difference between console and PC.
Games on consoles have been 70€ since ps3/360 (it used to be 60€ before). Games on PC were 50€ for the longest time, then 60€ started to be more and more common during the last decade.
Now PS5 games are actually 80€. The only games on PC I know with a similar price are games from Square Enix ( FF VII Remake, Forspoken).

bender

What time is it?
I'm sure PC pricing will get the bump sooner or later as well. I guess you can excuse on consoles as being part of the cost of offering a physical edition. Game prices are long overdue for an increase so I'm not terribly bothered.

Jennings

The Dead Space gameplay reveal showcased an abysmal FPS. I'm not sure why they think such bad performance is worth $70. It did say alpha footage, maybe they're going to fix it so it's at least 60fps by release date, because right now they're charging ~$2 per FPS.

As for the rest, well, nothing stays $70 forever. Only eager beavers will pay that price, patient gamers will pay 90s prices.

Last edited:

Fbh

On PC they are probably going to be even cheaper if you take advantage of grey market key resellers, or if you live in a country with regional pricing.
Either way though, the good thing is that non Nintendo videogame prices go down. As long as you don't HAVE to play all games the second they are out you can find a ton of great stuff to play and never pay $70 for a game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're paying full price for a video game, your not trying very hard OR you're controlled by FOMO. Every game, bar Nintendo first party games, go on massive sales starting four to six weeks after release. But if you absolutely must have games on day one, you can always find sales online if you look for more than 5 minutes.

The only game on that list id consider for day one is Callisto, but not when the devs are already talking DLC and the game has PS exclusive content. I’ll wait for a big sale or better yet, GamePass.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
An extra 10 is probably worth it to avoid all that set up horseshit. Though I’ll not be buying any of them new anyway.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You don’t have to deal with Windows on consoles.
I prefer paying more than having to use windows 10/11.
Now I ain't some windows shill but 10 works well for what it is, minus the awful telemetry. Just get open shell with your installation and you're pretty much home free

(Also if you get an Xbox you're gonna have to deal with Windows there technically so... 🤷‍♂️)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Thanks, I hate it. I hope Pound it's going to keep crashing, so I will have cheaper games. Buying from UK seems once again a viable choice.
sorry

If publishers think $70 for a game is fair let them charge it. If you disagree, don't pay it.

You don't have to play games on launch day, especially single player titles. While multiplayer games often require getting in early to stay competitive, single player games don't. If they're good, they'll still be good in a year or two when they go on sale for $20 with all the DLC included. You also get a version of the game with all the patches so it performs properly. On PC you get access to more comprehensive community patches that fix all the bugs the devs couldn't (or just didn't) and you have a selection of mods to use for many titles.

Just be patient and save yourself a bunch of money.

//DEVIL//

There are many games I want to buy so not buying anything but COD this month. But in theory though. Who would want to pay 70$ on consoles if he has. A decent pc ? Usually if u have a high end pc u really don’t own an Xbox series x ( maybe s for kids lol )

So it’s kinda ps5 vs pc and tv vs monitor ( generally speaking as sometimes I connect my pc to my tv )

Either way . Pc of course. Better graphics and cheaper and future proofing

Top Bottom