• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Movie In Development, According to John Carpenter

Draugoth

Gold Member
dead-space-movie.png

John Carpenter, legendary film director, may have inadvertently leaked the development of a Dead Space movie. In something that could almost be described as a throwaway comment in an interview, Carpenter made a statement that, if read the right way, directly suggests such a project exists.

Carpenter, whose works include the likes of The Fog, Halloween, and Escape From New York, is an Academy Award-winning director. He’d be perfectly placed to work on a film based on one of the most horrific franchises in gaming, but according to him, he certainly isn’t up to directing it.

In an interview with Variety, when asked if there’s any movement on Carpenter directing a possible Dead Space movie, the man himself said:

I’m not gonna do it. I think they already have another director involved. And they haven’t asked me to do it. So, until someone asks me, I wouldn’t do it. But there’s a new version of the Dead Space video game coming out in January, and I’m there
John Carpenter

kyussman

Looking forward to all the immersion breaking cgi monsters exploding everywhere........I imagine this will be closer to the second Thing movie in terms of quality rather than the Carpenter original,lol.

Dead space would make an absolutely awesome film.You can’t even do anything wrong dark floors and those creatures and the film is perfect.Dead space will be way better than Alien yes i said it.The story is way mir interesting the enemies are way scarier and mor interesting everything else is the same like Alien.Can’t wait for this movie they can make it more horror suspense or make it more action ala Predator or terminator.I would prefer more horror than action.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Man, I wish. I wish SO much that Carpenter would get involved. If it were to happen without him, man do I hope it's good.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
I will post this quote from Yahtzee (taken from an Extra Punctuation episode) every chance i get, because it really resonated with me:

Immersive narrative is something utterly unique to interactive media. The complex subtleties of Tunic or Obra Dinn would be completely impossible in a movie, tv show or book. That's why it irks me whenever the media outlets talk about a video game getting a tv/movie adaptation in a way that implies it is an elevation of the material. It's not. It's a reduction and you should never expect much out of it. Trying to adapt a great game to a movie/tv show is like trying to appreciate a renaissance painting through a microscope.

Basically, the video game is a superior medium to tell a story immersively. Movies can be good, but games are better.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Looking forward to all the immersion breaking cgi monsters exploding everywhere........I imagine this will be closer to the second Thing movie in terms of quality rather than the Carpenter original,lol.
Worst thing about The Thing prequel is that they had filmed the bulk of it with practical effects but then the studio went and made them go the CG route. I think some rough footage of it exists online. I saw that movie in theaters and don't remember a thing about it for the most part.

Arachnid

Not sure I can take Tom Holland seriously in this role.
But I guess we'll see.
Meh, I can see him playing a twerpy terrified engineer who's out of his depth. He doesn't have to sell Nathan Drake this time, at least.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Nice.

anyone can recommend good horror alien movie like pandorum?

Last edited:

kyussman

Worst thing about The Thing prequel is that they had filmed the bulk of it with practical effects but then the studio went and made them go the CG route. I think some rough footage of it exists online. I saw that movie in theaters and don't remember a thing about it for the most part.
Yea,they got cold feet about the practical effects,shame.It didn't need to exsist anyway,the mystery of what happened at the Norwegian base added to the original film for me.....everything has to be explained in autistic detail these days,lol.

Top Bottom