• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deal Alert: Price Drops on the Best PS5 SSDs (Samsung 980 Pro, WD Black SN850, XPG S70, Seagate Firecuda 530, and More)

kingfey

Banned

The rest are on the website. Get it, before the deal expires.

Fredrik

Very interesting! My SSD is constantly full.
How do I make the transfer without PS+ cloud saves? Can I use whatever USB thumb drive I have laying around to move the saves?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I got the 980 pro 1tb for my ps5 on Black Friday last year for 90 pounds uk. Been super happy with it.

I’ve gone all out on my pc build and these prices are welcomed!

1tb firecuda 530 for the system drive and 2tb WD black sn850 for a games drive. For another Corsair turning up for a second games drive but not sure what the model is for that as it’s a sample.

so good to see prices fall, just need direct storage for PC to turn up so pc can really Compete on the IO front vs the consoles.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
E-FLDvMXMAIkiEF.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just before anyone points out the unexpected poor preformance or the Samsung 980 Pro please be aware that this is resolved in a firmware update.

The issue is if you receive an older model without this firmware you will need to physically connect it to an m.2 port in your PC (Samsung do not let external USB m.2 ports to update drivers ?!?) And update that way before it goes into your PS5, alternatively you buy the version specifically made for PS5 with the included heatsink as these are guaranteed to come with the firmware that resolves the speed problems on PS5.

Alpha Male

Sorry to hijack the thread but should we expect to see external SSD support for PS5 eventually?
Like the Seagate one for Xbox Series?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t actually plan to buy one because the space is enough for me.

Said that the prices trend to drop… when faster SSD started to be released it will even drop more.

ethomaz

Banned
Sorry to hijack the thread but should we expect to see external SSD support for PS5 eventually?
Like the Seagate one for Xbox Series?
It already has like Series… for play BC games or backup PS5/Series games.

It is technically possible to play PS5 games in that single USB-C 3.1 port but I don’t think Sony will allow it.

Last edited:

squarealex

It is technically possible to play PS5 games in that single USB-C 3.1 port but I don’t think Sony will allow it.
I don't think USB 3.1 have acces to I/O (Like Internal SSD and Internal PCIE4 SSD), maybe that"s why

Last edited:

Alpha Male

External? Like USB? Already has that for BC games and cold storage. Same as Xbox.

Thanks for the replies...
I know you can use them for storage and to play PS4 games. I guess I should have specified will they ever allow you to PLAY PS5 games off of an external SSD

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies...
I know you can use them for storage and to play PS4 games. I guess I should have specified will they ever allow you to PLAY PS5 games off of an external SSD

I think with both systems they need to work off the internal/Seagate drive in order to take full advantage of the I/O systems that they have.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Just before anyone points out the unexpected poor preformance or the Samsung 980 Pro please be aware that this is resolved in a firmware update.

The issue is if you receive an older model without this firmware you will need to physically connect it to an m.2 port in your PC (Samsung do not let external USB m.2 ports to update drivers ?!?) And update that way before it goes into your PS5, alternatively you buy the version specifically made for PS5 with the included heatsink as these are guaranteed to come with the firmware that resolves the speed problems on PS5.
I did this last week, I didn't even initialize the drive in Windows, just went straight into Samsung Magician. My 2tb 980 pro had a manufacture date of October 2021.

Shmunter

I updated the firmware after having it in the PS5, full of games no less. Didn’t need to reformat. At the same time unable to benchmark without formatting, but assuming performance is all intact.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I think I will just wait until I can get a 2tb one for $150. I only play a few games at a time so don't mind moving games back in forth from external ssd to ps5 main memory.

Ozriel

M$FT

Yeah, I fucked up. Installed mine before I learnt about the firmware issue.

Ah, well.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

1tb is enough imo. Its actual 1tb, not some 800gb shite. My PS5 with 1tb NVME has same storage as my 2tb PS4 Pro, approx 1,7gb ish. Which lasted me through the previous gen and sizes are smaller on average now.

I don’t appreciate these deals. Now I have another 850 coming in for my PC, which I might as well put in raid 0 for ludicrous speed.

Shmunter

How? Will it get read in a PC without reformatting?
Yes, I did mine. The Samsung software detects it and allows for the firmware to be upgraded. Doesn’t care what it has on it, no need for formatting to windows.

Put it back into PS5, works as it did prior to flash; assuming with higher throughput as there is no way to benchmark without a format.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How long do you honestly think 1TB will last you?
SMH

if you are just playing exclusives I think an extra 1tb drive will be more than enough space for most of the generation. I’m like no where near filling the drives in mine now with 1tb extra.

RPS37

if you are just playing exclusives I think an extra 1tb drive will be more than enough space for most of the generation. I’m like no where near filling the drives in mine now with 1tb extra.
You say this now but then just watch Sony come out with some flight simulator numbers.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes, I did mine. The Samsung software detects it and allows for the firmware to be upgraded. Doesn’t care what it has on it, no need for formatting to windows.

Put it back into PS5, works as it did prior to flash; assuming with higher throughput as there is no way to benchmark without a format.

Excellent! Thanks for this!

Top Bottom