• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debating between a Switch and X this holiday (hear me out)

brawly

I already have the VCR Xbox One (and a PS4 Pro). I know people are gonna say "get the Switch, more exclusives yadayada", but hear me out.

XOX
+ it would be my third party console, obviously, so that's a big plus
+ I already play multiplayer (friends) on there and have a library
+ the "timed console exclusives" from E3 excite me
+ already have an Elite Controller
+ 4K blu-ray...maybe?
- overall pretty lackluster interest in the exclusives, more into the niche stuff (Lucky's Tail, Ori 2) no interest in the big three (Gears, Halo, Forza) or Crackdown/Sea of Thieves/SoD2
- Cost. I would sell my current Xbox but prices and desire here in general is low, so there would still be about +$350 to pay.
- digital sales are underwhelming compared to the PSN in my experience/region

Switch
+ I loved playing indies on the Vita
+ exclusive indies
+ Nintendo exclusives...
- ...which are either hit or miss for me. None released or announced really excite me (probably why I haven't bought one yet), however I kinda do wanna play Zelda (though I've never finished one) and I like 3D Mario. I would survive without playing games like X2, Kirby and Yoshi.
- I fear the droughts. Main reason why I didn't keep my Wii or U around for long. Indies should solve that though
- expensive in general, especially the accessoires and I don't expect great sales (feel free to correct)

It probably reads like I don't need either and that might very well happen. Or both.

The main reason for the X for me is the big difference with the Pro so far. Didn't expect it to be that big. I already felt like I needed to get the PS4 version of older games instead of the Xbox version because of the differences in visual quality, which is absolutely laughable in hindsight. Opening those XOX vs Pro DF threads without owning an X would slay me.

Main reason for the Switch is because it's taken off and has been getting harder to ignore. While I'm not really all that excited for the bigger exclusives, I like the constant flow of indies and it would, in most cases, be the place for me to play them.

I have a 4K tv and monitor btw.

UPDATE

I guess maybe I have made up my mind. But there's no rush. I'll play Mario on sunday and see if I can even get an X at launch.

Hell, I might just buy a Switch, play through M&Z and then (if I feel like it) sell it around christmas, since there's bound to be another shortage.

Thanks for all the replies, feel free to continue.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pro is close enough to X that Switch is by far the better option here.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
get a switch. like 1st poster says you already have an xbox + ps4. while xb1x may be more powerful than a pro it still won't make full use of that 4K tv/monitor of yours. if you want proper 4K gaming then go build a PC or wait until next gen consoles.

the switch is a fantastic console. for me it was totally worth buying for zelda alone but i also get to play mario odyssey, mario kart 8, arms, splatoon 2, and a whole load of other games. nintendo are doing really well with the switch and i imagine it's only gonna get better! we're only 7-ish months in and it's doing great so far.

Why don't you sell your One, and use that to get an X? Then get the Switch.

If you really don't like the Switch then still sell your One and get an X.

Kolx

If you're not that excited for any of the switch exclusives then don't buy it now. Sell your xbox one and buy an X.

You'd be better off with a PC than an XboxOX, but since you already have an Xbone the Switch is a real no brainer here. You really don't need a slightly better way to play the same games.

weepy

I already have the VCR Xbox One (and a PS4 Pro). I know people are gonna say "get the Switch, more exclusives yadayada", but hear me out.

XOX
+ it would be my third party console, obviously, so that's a big plus
+ I already play multiplayer (friends) on there and have a library
+ the "timed console exclusives" from E3 excite me
+ it is where I watch shows and anime, thanks to the VLC player (obviously wouldn't need the X for that)
+ 4K blu-ray...maybe?
- overall pretty lackluster interest in the exclusives, more into the niche stuff (Lucky's Tail, Ori 2) no interest in the big three (Gears, Halo, Forza) or Crackdown/Sea of Thieves/SoD2
- Cost. I would sell my current Xbox but prices and desire here in general is low, so there would still be about +$350 to pay.
- digital sales are underwhelming compared to the PSN in my experience/region

Switch
+ I loved playing indies on the Vita
+ exclusive indies
+ Nintendo exclusives...
- ...which are either hit or miss for me. None released or announced really excite me (probably why I haven't bought one yet), however I kinda do wanna play Zelda (though I've never finished one) and I like 3D Mario. I would survive without playing games like X2, Kirby and Yoshi.
- I fear the droughts. Main reason why I didn't keep my Wii or U around for long. Indies should solve that though
- expensive in general, especially the accessoires and I don't expect great sales (feel free to correct)

It probably reads like I don't need either and that might very well happen. Or both.

The main reason for the X for me is the big difference with the Pro so far. Didn't expect it to be that big. I already felt like I needed to get the PS4 version of older games instead of the Xbox version because of the differences in visual quality, which is absolutely laughable in hindsight. Opening those XOX vs Pro DF threads without owning an X would slay me.

Main reason for the Switch is because it's taken off and has been getting harder to ignore. While I'm not really all that excited for the bigger exclusives, I like the constant flow of indies and it would, in most cases, be the place for me to play them.

I have a 4K tv and monitor btw.

Upgrade your Xbox. It seems like you're you unsure about playing Nintendo games and a great deal of their indies are on the other two, so unless you want to commit to mobile play, just still to what you know. Or just buy more PS4 games...

sphinx

the piano man
Pro is close enough to X that Switch is by far the better option here.

if he didn't own a Pro, yeah I'd say he should think it through,

but given this particular context, switch the only thing that makes sense.

personally, if I were him I'd wait til sometime in 2018 to buy a switch, when online, third parties and metroid prime 4 have already made an appearance

Sell your Xbox One and put the money toward an Xbox One X.

this is also a good idea

mas8705

You raised good points on both arguments, so I'll make it simple: Get a Switch first if you can. It is always nice to expand what games you get to enjoy rather than seeing a game and realizing you don't have the console to enjoy it on.

Once you get the Switch, you can start saving off to the side for the Xbox One X (which I would guess will sell out and probably won't get restocked until 2018 as most initial console launches at the end of the year do). With everything happening at the tail end of this year, that what I'm going to be doing and be patient on (since I do want to get a 4K before I begin to consider upgrading).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'd go with the X. The performance boost for multiplats will be well worth it in my opinion.

it will be a nice improvement yeah but why on earth would you buy an XB1X when you already have an Xbox One? Even if you trade it in you're still gonna be spending quite a bit and it's not gonna be that much greater than a PS4 Pro.

some people have more money than sense i guess.

Buy a console for what it has, not what it's going to have.

From the sounds of it your not too happy about what the switch currently has enough to buy one (like me).

So i'd go with XBX

Without touting the whole PCMR stuff, why not just get a higher end PC as opposed to an X?

I would personally say go for the Switch, as it's markedly different from pretty much everything else. Granted, I value variety quite a bit, and if you already own a base Xbox One and PS4 Pro, I'm just not sure I think the bump is worthwhile. You could spend the same money(well, probably less) on a Switch and play in a portable manner (even if it's just around the house) and you'll have access to a decent chunk of games that pretty much won't ever be available elsewhere.

I only brought up a PC because there's more variety that you'd find there as opposed to just upgrading your Xbox. I think if you really want to take advantage of the 4k displays, a higher-end PC is still the best way to do that, even if it is more expensive.

redcrayon

Seems like you don't really need an X and aren't overly enthusiastic about a Switch at present either. Save your money, wait for a better deal.

giphy.gif

theaface

Get a Switch. More unique games is more important than prettier graphics and you'd be able to play everything the 3 consoles have to offer. Easy D.

daxy

Go for your comfort zone and get an XBX to better experience/augment the things you already enjoy on your XBO. Get a Switch down the line once it has more than two games and a handful of indies you're interested in. I love the Switch, but if I were in your position I'd totally go for the X as I'd know what I'd be getting into instead of risking it on a console that hasn't built up a large enough library yet to be worth its $300 price tag.

oti

Banned
Then he should build a PC. Ridiculous, don‘t worry about that shit.

Get a Switch.

And what if they regret their decision with every Digital Foundry comparison? Sounds like tech is really important to them. And PC wasn't an option anyway otherwise they would've mentioned it.

brawly

get a switch. like 1st poster says you already have an xbox + ps4. while xb1x may be more powerful than a pro it still won't make full use of that 4K tv/monitor of yours. if you want proper 4K gaming then go build a PC or wait until next gen consoles.

I don't need "proper 4K", but the differences so far are too big for me to simply ignore.

Why don't you sell your One, and use that to get an X? Then get the Switch.

I did write that I would do that.

If you sell your xbox one, you can get both XOX and switch.

You don't know my finances
:p

You'd be better off with a PC than an XboxOX, but since you already have an Xbone the Switch is a real no brainer here. You really don't need a slightly better way to play the same games.

Then he should build a PC. Ridiculous, don‘t worry about that shit.

I've done the PC gaming thing, multiple times and won't do it again. Laptop's enough for me

brad-t

I'm not really sure why you made this thread since what you wrote indicates you don't really want a Switch at all. Get the X if it's what you want, regardless of if it's the "rational" choice or not.

spad3

Switch.

For the time being, you'll be able to play everything you need on the PS4.

Get an Xbox One X when an actual exclusive comes out for it.

PLUS, Mario Odyssey is coming out, so if you're considering, get the bundle that has the console, the game, and a case. You'll be set.

jaybe00

Neo Member
Switch. The playing options it opens up will be much appreciated by you if you like indies, and of course the GOTG contenders.

While Shadow of War compared well, that's a marketed by Xbox title. It would be helpful to see what the real improvements over the PS Pro are (if any) over time. Bethesda is still launching games that don't take advantage of the power. I'd wait on the X if I were you.

You know what'll hurt more than not having the most technically powerful console? Missing out on generation-defining games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. Personally I think this is an easy choice.

Which one has CupHead?

the one he already has.

::

you don't seem so hot on nintendo games which is kinda a must. you may like zelda and mario but you won't like the lineup next year.
if you are really that into graphics and tech you might as well build a pc :p

I mean I would think a Switch would be the obvious choice, however everything you said in the OP makes me think you should just the X1X. If graphics are that important to you, and you are going to be upset every time you see the difference from a Pro get the X.

Top Bottom